• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

What the hell is this about Quentyn being alive? That never even crossed my mind until now xD

It is true that we learn of his death in a Barristan episode (or Dany?) but come on!

I remember reading about his death and thinking "OK, that was entirely pointless" but I thought thas was the point. That he was a pointless character and that Doran's plan was shit after all that planning.

What the hell is this about Quentyn being alive? That never even crossed my mind until now xD

It is true that we learn of his death in a Barristan episode (or Dany?) but come on!

I remember reading about his death and thinking "OK, that was entirely pointless" but I thought thas was the point. That he was a pointless character and that Doran's GRRM's plan was shit after all that planning.

Fixed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I remember reading about his death and thinking "OK, that was entirely pointless" but I thought thas was the point. That he was a pointless character and that Doran's plan was shit after all that planning.

There's an entire theory about Gerris lying and all that shit.

I was kinda saddened that he died, tbh. I liked him. You have all these crazy characters and players in the Game and then the fifth damn book introduces you to a POV character that's basically just Mr. Jack Regular Man.

Quentyn existing entirely as a plot device to turn Dorne against Dany is one of Martin's worst decisions IMO. Especially in light of that last Arianne chapter in AFFC. It didn't make Quentyn sound like a badass or anything, but it made the plan sound amazing, and interesting.

Quentyn joining the sell sword company could have been very interesting. I was talking with my brother about this, trying to find a way for that arc to be more interesting. I like the idea of an ambitious Quentyn wanting to impress Dany and being very conscious of the fact that Gerris Drinkwater was more handsome and princely. I'd have them join the sell sword company and have a couple experiences with battle. During each Drinkwater would establish himself as a badass, gain the respect of the sell swords etc. Basically this would create jealousy and tension between the prince and Drinkwater, culminating in a Platoon type situation where Quentyn lets Drinkwater die during a small battle/raid.

The rest of the arc would then detail the journey to Meereen all while Quentyn suffers from PSTD. And by the time he reaches Dany he'd be a shell of the man he once was. Dany flirts with the idea of taking two husbands and asks Quentyn to join her army to prove his worth. He does, but as war inches closer and closer his fear of battle climaxes with his mad decision to free the dragons; that way it's not just a laughable attempt to tame dragons, but a desperate act of a man afraid to fight again (he believes the use of dragons would result in a quick win, basically).

Then have him get burned, as in the books, but survive long enough to bitterly send word to Dorne about Dany being mad/not worthy of marriage/a harlot/etc. Arianne gets the letter in TWOW and does what we assume she'll do (oppose Dany). Still a plot device...but far more interesting and somewhat tragic.

Brazil

Quentyn existing entirely as a plot device to turn Dorne against Dany is one of Martin's worst decisions IMO. Especially in light of that last Arianne chapter in AFFC. It didn't make Quentyn sound like a badass or anything, but it made the plan sound amazing, and interesting.

Quentyn joining the sell sword company could have been very interesting. I was talking with my brother about this, trying to find a way for that arc to be more interesting. I like the idea of an ambitious Quentyn wanting to impress Dany and being very conscious of the fact that Gerris Drinkwater was more handsome and princely. I'd have them join the sell sword company and have a couple experiences with battle. During each Drinkwater would establish himself as a badass, gain the respect of the sell swords etc. Basically this would create jealousy and tension between the prince and Drinkwater, culminating in a Platoon type situation where Quentyn lets Drinkwater die during a small battle/raid.

The rest of the arc would then detail the journey to Meereen all while Quentyn suffers from PSTD. And by the time he reaches Dany he'd be a shell of the man he once was. Dany flirts with the idea of taking two husbands and asks Quentyn to join her army to prove his worth. He does, but as war inches closer and closer his fear of battle climaxes with his mad decision to free the dragons; that way it's not just a laughable attempt to tame dragons, but a desperate act of a man afraid to fight again (he believes the use of dragons would result in a quick win, basically).

Then have him get burned, as in the books, but survive long enough to bitterly send word to Dorne about Dany being mad/not worthy of marriage/a harlot/etc. Arianne gets the letter in TWOW and does what we assume she'll do (oppose Dany). Still a plot device...but far more interesting and somewhat tragic.

I see Quentyn's existance more as a way to prove to the readers that Doran is serious about his revenge. He covered all his bases with both Aegon and Dany, even though Quentyn was a complete gamble from the start. It may seem like a waste now, with ADwD still fresh on our minds, but his death might end up changing Doran in an interesting way down the line.

I enjoyed reading Quentyn's chapters, but I agree that maybe GRRM should've turned his arc into a more interesting one.

I just hope that we somehow find out what's up with the Tattered Prince.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Tyrion had a line about the dagger when he got to King's landing in Season 2. Joffery squirm and you knew it was him. That's really all you need. It could have been to hide his parentage and it could have been because Tyrion imp-slapped him when they talked about Bran. Either way

I thought it was implied that robert made some comment about the boy should be put out of his misery and Joffrey did it wanting to please him. Plus the comment joffrey made about being familiar with valaryian steel at his wedding that Tyrion zeroed in on.

Kain

The thing is we don't know how Quentyn's death will affect Doran because he sent the SS and Arianne away before learning of his son's death. I hope he goes batshit insane decides to stand up or something.

The thing is we don't know how Quentyn's death will affect Doran because he sent the SS and Arianne away before learning of his son's death. I hope he goes batshit insane decides to stand up or something.

I could see Dorne reverting back to the Myrcella plan or turning hard toward Aegon.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I could see Dorne reverting back to the Myrcella plan or turning hard toward Aegon.

By the way what are yall's thoughts on the potential Trystaegon reveal? Now, before I thought that (f)Aegon in any form was cut after all they could simply crown Trystane and Mycella and have them rise up without introducing another Targ with all the extra explanation required, especially if he's really a Blackfyre. But, the Season 4 History and Lore extras mentioned the Blackfyre rebellions several times which I thought was interesting as there is no real reason for the showrunners to mention them unless they meant to bring it up later in the show. I still think it's a long shot as all that extra lore just seems too much for the show to explain but now it doesn't seem totally impossible.

I still think that we'll likely just get a Myrcella/Trystane crowning with no Targ baggage.

Quentyn would have been fine if GRRM had just cut all but his last chapter. He was a waste of time and doubling down on that is not a solution that I would have cared for. You can have plot devices, just don't give them a bunch of filler chapters. AFFC/ADWD already had way too much of this.

By the way what are yall's thoughts on the potential Trystaegon reveal? Now, before I thought that (f)Aegon in any form was cut after all they could simply crown Trystane and Mycella and have them rise up without introducing another Targ with all the extra explanation required, especially if he's really a Blackfyre. But, the Season 4 History and Lore extras mentioned the Blackfyre rebellions several times which I thought was interesting as there is no real reason for the showrunners to mention them unless they meant to bring it up later in the show. I still think it's a long shot as all that extra lore just seems too much for the show to explain but now it doesn't seem totally impossible.

I still think that we'll likely just get a Myrcella/Trystane crowning with no Targ baggage.

Trystaegon? What is this?

Makes me wonder what that arc looked like prior to splitting those books.

Iksenpets

Banned
Trystaegon? What is this?

General speculation is that in the show Trystane will fulfil a lot of Aegon's role from the book. The Martell's are in the right location to attack exactly where Aegon does, and since they books seem to be heading to a Dorne-Aegon alliance, it would probably end up still being pretty close to the book plot. Some people take that a bit further and say that Trystane literally is Aegon, in that he was snuck out of King's Landing as a child and taken to Dorne where Doran raised him as his own son.

DVD extras don't mean much of anything. The extra lore there is not known by the general audience. This is like when people used Victarion and Willas' presences in the HBO family trees to argue they would be on the show.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm really going to miss being able to go into the show watchers thread and reading stuff like this:
I think Jon will have no ill consequences because of this, no one liked Slynt. If anything it'l do them good, unless they forget to burn the body and next week he comes back to life and kills Jon.

Poor kid won't know what hits him.

NeoGiff

Let's not forget about Ellarianne, who isn't actually reminiscent of Arianne at all but rather Darkstar
who is of the night

foxtrot3d

Banned
Let's not forget about Ellarianne, who isn't actually reminiscent of Arianne at all but rather Darkstar
who is of the night

You just wait til' TWOW comes out and we learn that Darkstar is the hero we deserve, then we'll see who will be laughing. He is a true Dark Knight.

General speculation is that in the show Trystane will fulfil a lot of Aegon's role from the book. The Martell's are in the right location to attack exactly where Aegon does, and since they books seem to be heading to a Dorne-Aegon alliance, it would probably end up still being pretty close to the book plot. Some people take that a bit further and say that Trystane literally is Aegon, in that he was snuck out of King's Landing as a child and taken to Dorne where Doran raised him as his own son.
Hmm thanks for the explanation!

Ratrat

Anyone else think Tommen is portrayed too old in the show? Why would he let his own mother be paraded through the streets of kings landing naked when he is the king?

At least in the books he's only 8 so he has no idea what's happening...unless they plan to have Margaery manipulate him on the matter...
If she can do that she can certainly manipulate him into getting Loras out of whatever shit he gets in.

Nope, and this is another reason I don't think she's going to be raped/tortured/flayed. "Hey, is that girl playing Jean Grey the one that was in the big brutal rape scene a few months ago?"

Reading speculation on Sansa's fate at the hands of Ramsay, led me to an interesting question.

Why would the rape/torture of Sansa be more horrific than if the victim was the nobody Jeyne.

An act of violence against a defenceless female, surely is equally abhorrent, whether we " know" the victim or not.

Ratrat

Reading speculation on Sansa's fate at the hands of Ramsay, led me to an interesting question.

Why would the rape/torture of Sansa be more horrific than if the victim was the nobody Jeyne.

An act of violence against a defenceless female, surely is equally abhorrent, whether we " know" the victim or not.
It's about character arcs. Sansa has already been beaten, married and abused for 3 seasons and has now finally gained some agency. Jeyne disappeared into some whore house where she was trained to fit the role of Arya Stark.

Iksenpets

Banned
who is of the night

Hasn't most of Ellarianne's dialogue this season been taken from book Obara? The Dornish character shuffle this season is the weirdest thing. Ellaria is Arianne, Obara, and Darkstar, Aegon is Arianne, Quentyn, and Aegon, Tyene seems to have a few bits of Arianne in her, Obara appears to have taken up meditation and her whip has been given to Nymeria, while Nym's knives have been given to Tyene. Meanwhile, Jaime and Bronn have become Balon Swann and Arys Oakheart, and Bronn is probably going to get some Darkstar in him, too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Hasn't most of Ellarianne's dialogue this season been taken from book Obara? The Dornish character shuffle this season is the weirdest thing. Ellaria is Arianne, Obara, and Darkstar, Aegon is Arianne, Quentyn, and Aegon, Tyene seems to have a few bits of Arianne in her, Obara appears to have taken up meditation and her whip has been given to Nymeria, while Nym's knives have been given to Tyene. Meanwhile, Jaime and Bronn have become Balon Swann and Arys Oakheart, and Bronn is probably going to get some Darkstar in him, too.

Nah, I suspect Bronn will be Oakhearted without doing anything meaningful.

bengraven

Season should end on a major book spoiler.

R + L or something.

Counting-Fingers-GIF.gif

Brazil

Season should end on a major book spoiler.

R + L or something.

Man... I laugh just thinking about the way D&D will have to squirm on the floor to make that twist work when 90% of the show watchers have no idea who Rheagar is.

I honestly can't see it working without a big Trident flashback or something.

Speevy

Banned
There's an easy way to get the R+L=J thing.

Dany has a dream that she sees her uncle/brother/someone in her family. She grabs onto his shoulder, but when he turns, it's Jon Snow. She asks "What does that mean?" and goes on a dragon-riding adventure for clues.

Either that or bring back Sean Bean to play his younger self.

Makes me wonder what that arc looked like prior to splitting those books.

I remember Martin saying initially Dany's first ADWD chapter was the marriage, and afterward Daznak's Pit. So Quentyn was supposed to arrive on the day of the wedding and witness her fly off on Drogon.

Pluto

Man... I laugh just thinking about the way D&D will have to squirm on the floor to make that twist work when 90% of the show watchers have no idea who Rheagar is.

I honestly can't see it working without a big Trident flashback or something.
All they have to do is write a bit of expository dialog, both Rhaegar and Lyanna are related to main characters, it wouldn't be hard to bring them up in a conversation or they just explain it during the reveal, why would they need a flashback?

Burt

All they have to do is write a bit of expository dialog, both Rhaegar and Lyanna are related to main characters, it wouldn't be hard to bring them up in a conversation or they just explain it during the reveal, why would they need a flashback?

It's going to be so terrible. I'm actually more on board with most of the book streamlining than most people (outside of them neutering Arya's storyline), but there's no way they can sell this without an entire episode of them all but talking to the camera. Forget Rhaegar, no one's going to know who Lyanna is. And they're going to have to have a story, and if they bring in the Tower of Joy it'll be totally hamfisted, and if they don't it'll just be stupid. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Gotta love the Unsullied:

You guys seem to be forgetting that Stannis will be marching on Winterfell very soon. How long does it take to get to the Wall from Winterfell or vice versa. Stannis has an army so the March is slower but not by too much. Id guess a few weeks maybe? Never seemed to take long for anyone like when Jon Snow went up there the first time.

Oh, sweet summer child.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I like this, as far as alternate imaginings go.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Nope. I disagree and thought Quentyn's arc was fine. I will agree that it was a bit too long given the message GRRM was trying to get across. Quentyn and his entire arc is the classic fantasy tale of a prince, off on an adventure to win his bride and queen. Unfortunately, before the queen can agree to marry him he must prove his worth by attempting something so daring that for anyone else it would be suicide. Luckily, our hero prince pulls out by the skin of his teeth, accomplishing the task and winning the heart of the fair queen. Instead, Quentyn got his ass burned because this ain't your traditional fantasy and dragons are vicious mother fuckers who can't be tamed by sheer for of will alone.

The only problem with the whole arc is that we are FIVE books in at this point, we fucking know this isn't traditional fantasy so the attempt to further remind us of this fact is unnecessary. Still, I thought it was alright and I'm not so sure that Dorne would rise up against Dany because Quentyn died. Quentyn died through his own stupidity and word won't reach Dorne unless Dany finally decides to turn her ass West. Also, Gerris and Yronwood both know what happened and I'm sure would tell Doran the truth if they make it out of Mereen alive. I don't understand in your hypo why Quentyn would get jealous of Gerris, he's not out there to prove he's a bigger badass he has a marriage contract that he seeks to fulfill. Gerris is not a threat to Quentyn, he's supposed to be protecting Quentyn and ensuring his mission succeeds. I much preferred the buddy adventure they all believed they were in for that instead ended in tragedy.

Pluto

It's going to be so terrible. I'm actually more on board with most of the book streamlining than most people (outside of them neutering Arya's storyline), but there's no way they can sell this without an entire episode of them all but talking to the camera. Forget Rhaegar, no one's going to know who Lyanna is.
People remember Ned and Robert, it will be easy to remind them who Lyanna was and Rhaegar was Dany's brother, I don't see the problem. That's pretty much explained with one line of dialog each.
Aemon, Barristan or Dany can bring up Rhaegar before the reveal to remind the audience, Sansa, Jon or Arya can tell the story of Lyanna as they know it.
What about Doran? Rhaegar was his brother in law.

The audience had no idea who Elia was so they had Oberyn mention her all the time to explain why he wanted to get revenge, it worked. They can do the same with Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Kyougar

The dornish master Plan must have a dozen contingency Plans. Every "plan" to date was a major fuck-up. Or maybe thats the plan? He Planned to have his brother and son killed for the REAL MASTER PLAN?

Just finished season 4, holy crap that was good. Especially the last trio of episodes that I watched tonight. Biggest takeaway though is how slow the pacing was, the show definitely benefits from it (as opposed to season 2 bleh). There's no way this could wrap up in seven seasons and still be of the same quality, especially if they aren't even going to reach TWOW material.

Other thoughts:

- Holy shit they butchered the scene where Daenerys sends away Jorah. I mean Clarke's acting was pretty bad (what the hell was she staring at?) but they didn't even attempt to make her conflicted about it. Without him she'd be dead as shit. Why do people like her again?
- Show Jaime sucks. He should be realizing that Cersei is a fucking lunatic, not banging her after his brother that he likes was condemned to death. I'm pretty sure the writers have no idea how to use him properly.
- Hound/Arya was sooooo good. I won't be disappointed if he really his gone for good because that was a great way to end their journey.
- I've seen posts about Tyrion's whitewashing, and I have to agree. He's become far, far too good of a person. Having apparently the only good person in King's Landing be sentenced to death like that felt far too cartoony for this. I really wish they had cut out a couple of minutes of the wacky adventures in Craster's Keep or Yara vs. Dogs (what was the point of that?) to give some lines of dialogue about the whole situation. It would have the ending with Tyrion killing Tywin so much more powerful. Because honestly, him doing that felt so out of pace compared to the rest of his actions in the show.
- Show Littlefinger makes no sense. How can a man be scheming so well and also be such a dumbass? Beyond the dumb incest comment in S2, here he kills Lysa with literally no plan to deflect suspicion other than trust that Sansa has worked on her lying skills. What the fuck?
- The Battle for Castle Black was intense, but also suffered from the problem of me having absolutely no idea how the Night's Watch won. Like every single fight scene consisted of them getting slaughtered by wildlings.

Should finally catch up in the upcoming days.

The dornish master Plan must have a dozen contingency Plans. Every "plan" to date was a major fuck-up. Or maybe thats the plan? He Planned to have his brother and son killed for the REAL MASTER PLAN?

Oberyn's death was regrettable, but he did what he was setting out to do. He made the Mountain confess that he killed Elia and her children. Remember what one of the Sand Snakes says when the Mountain's completely cleaned off skull arrives in Sunspear. That if the Mountain is still alive, he'll be very easy to identify due to his enormous size, and if Cersei utilizes that giant man, she'll be outed as a liar.
Guess what Cersei is likely going to do for her trial with the Faith?

After all, the Dornish master plan is not specifically focused on installing themselves as rulers of Westeros, it's mostly focusing on bringing down House Lannister.

As for Quentyn, I have my own theories about that, but I'm not in the mood to explain them, at least not just yet.

Lothar

Banned
Did the show ever come out and say that Ramsay burned Winterfell? Some in the other thread don't seem to realize that he did that. Look at this post.

He doesn't deserve to worry. Ramsay treated Reek the way he did because of how shit awful Reek was to the Starks. Ramsay will treat Sansa right.

eot

Banned
Nope. I disagree and thought Quentyn's arc was fine. I will agree that it was a bit too long given the message GRRM was trying to get across. Quentyn and his entire arc is the classic fantasy tale of a prince, off on an adventure to win his bride and queen. Unfortunately, before the queen can agree to marry him he must prove his worth by attempting something so daring that for anyone else it would be suicide. Luckily, our hero prince pulls out by the skin of his teeth, accomplishing the task and winning the heart of the fair queen. Instead, Quentyn got his ass burned because this ain't your traditional fantasy and dragons are vicious mother fuckers who can't be tamed by sheer for of will alone.

Maybe it's fine on its own, but it's in a book that already needed a lot more pruning. Basileus is right that GRRM could've cut almost the entire arc and no one would have felt its absence.

Kain

Did the show ever come out and say that Ramsay burned Winterfell? Some in the other thread don't seem to realize that he did that. Look at this post.

Oh boy.

On another note, the R+L=J reveal will be so obvious when they start to mention Lyanna all the time in a random episode. They should do it this season just to piss off book readers.

NeoGiff

Looking at the other posts by that user, it seems that he/she just don't pay enough attention to the show. I wouldn't say his/her ignorance is representative of all the Unsullied.

But... I can't remember if it was made clear what happened at Winterfell, which is a pretty big oversight if true. Wait, doesn't Roose outline it to Walder in the Season 3 finale?

NeoGiff

I just can't see (don't want to see) this happening, that's like killing Daryl on the Walking Dead lol

You mean killing a character who's outlived their usefulness?

I hate TWD, but I don't think it's apt to compare an out and out fan favourite who people obsess over like Daryl, with Bronn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom