• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

someday

Banned
I disagree that Peter knows the truth about Raegar & Lyanna, it's the biggest secret in the realm and seems like only 2 people properly knew, Ned and Howland Reed. Bran will likely find out.
Hmm, then maybe I was projecting during that scene lol. There was a long hesitation after Sansa said it and the camera was focused on Littlefinger during that time. He didn't seem to be agreeing or anything. It really seemed like they were pointing out that her story was wrong. I'll rewatch it later.

Why? We never get a POV chapter for Stannis but despite that it's clear he loves Shireen and is very protective of her. Book Stannis always appears hard because we view from an outsiders POV, but in private I would bet he'd have scenes like that with Shireen.

I can't picture Book Stannis ever showing that level of emotional vulnerability with anyone, even a daughter whom he loves.

It's true that we only get an outside POV on Stannis, but I think Davos gives a pretty thorough perspective of him. Davos is as close to Stannis as anyone, and I don't think Stannis lets his guard down more with anyone, including his own family, than he does with Davos.

Wow, the show runners did just about everything wrong at the end of this episode.

The show has already established what the Unsullied are: they're essentially ASOIAF's Spartans. They are trained fanatically from their youth, fight with incredible discipline, fight as a unit, use their shields in formation to break the ranks of the enemy, fear nothing, and are all but impervious to pain.

The small unit we see in action tonight breaks ranks almost immediately and panics while facing a bunch of unarmored thugs with daggers. We see Unsullied reacting to pain, and literally falling to pieces for reasons beyond explanation.

Then, the cherry on top is that one of the greatest and most decorated swordsmen of Westeros' last century steps in, sword in hand, against dudes in rags with knives, and apparently dies as well.

Hilarious. Talk about writing to tentpoles...

Really highlights a longstanding problem with Weiss and Benioff. They constantly take shortcuts and break established narratives in order to create shock moments, regardless of the consequences. This isn't even about the books btw. The show has established the Unsullied as badass warriors who are super disciplined. You would expect that they would react to an ambush quite predictably: form rank and hold off the attackers as long as possible. In fact, fighting in such a narrow area would greatly benefit them, making the "ambush" even less likely to succeed.

Yet in order to create a shock scene, the writers thew all that out the window. Instead of being disciplined, the Unsullied break rank immediately. Instead of being premier fighters they get wrecked by a group of amateurs with knives. Not even swords.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, then maybe I was projecting during that scene lol. There was a long hesitation after Sansa said it and the camera was focused on Littlefinger during that time. He didn't seem to be agreeing or anything. It really seemed like they were pointing out that her story was wrong. I'll rewatch it later.

Yeah I know what you mean. I picked that up too. Not sure if show Littlefinger actually knows the truth but I do believe he at least suspects there was more to the story than Rhaegar kidnapping and raping Lyanna.

Sand Snakes suck.

I like Jaime and Bronn. The pairing at least, not necessarily the storyline, We'll see where it goes. It'll be a shame when Bronn gets Oakhearted or whatever.

They're doing a lot better with Stannis then the shit they worked up in the past seasons.

Heavy laying on of Lyanna and Rhaegar.

Sons of the Harpy are apparently bad ass, while the Unsullied and Barristan are apparently not. Should've killed Grey Worm instead, but I guess they need him for the totally awesome love story they're concocting.

Carice Van Houten remains hot.

duckroll

I can't picture Book Stannis ever showing that level of emotional vulnerability with anyone, even a daughter whom he loves.

It's true that we only get an outside POV on Stannis, but I think Davos gives a pretty thorough perspective of him. Davos is as close to Stannis as anyone, and I don't think Stannis lets his guard down more with anyone, including his own family, than he does with Davos.

I don't see how he's being emotionally vulnerable. Stannis is a pragmatic and honest man, those are his strongest points. Here his daughter was asking him if he loved her, and he did not answer "yes darling, I love you", which would have been purely emotional. Instead he told her about he responded to her greyscale, to show how important she is to him because she is his daughter, and that it was justified because in the end she did not die. I don't think it was out of character at all.

Well okay, maybe the hug was a bit much.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Davos is an adult, not family and still a supplicant. Shireen is a sweet and innocent child, I could definitely see him being more open with her. I mean he never killed Shireen upon learning of her greyscale and the fact that she had it means that the show invention of him calling upon all healers and maesters doesn't seem too far fetched. Plus, he burned his, what was he uncle in law, for attempting to steal away Shireen's birthright and send her off to King's Landing.

EDIT:
Some support-

I made him Hand, and he would have sold my rights for a bowl of pease porridge. He would even have given them Shireen. Mine only child, he would have wed to a bastard born of incest." The king's voice was thick with anger. "

from the unsullied thread:

And how do we know [Lyanna] had a baby and when or that it's Jon? Could be anyone. Maybe some soldier came up to Ned and was like 'Ned this is your sister's baby, like, for reals,' and Ned murmered 'Honour...' and just accepted the kid. It could be anyone's.

this is interesting, do you think we get Tower of Joy backstory later this season?

I like Jaime and Bronn. The pairing at least, not necessarily the storyline, We'll see where it goes. It'll be a shame when Bronn gets Oakhearted or whatever.

Yeah, the pairing is fun, but the storyline is fucking ridiculous. Jaime Fucking Lannister slaughtering Dornishmen en masse in the midst of a perpetually shaky alliance between the Crown and Dorne? Beyond stupid.

Zabka

Yeah I know what you mean. I picked that up too. Not sure if show Littlefinger actually knows the true but I do believe he at least suspects there was more to the story than Rhaegar kidnapping and raping Lyanna.

The only person who ever speaks ill of Rhaegar is Robert Baratheon. I assume most people know the story is bullshit but just went along with it because it was politically useful.

Show_Cailin.jpg

foxtrot3d

Banned
Really highlights a longstanding problem with Weiss and Benioff. They constantly take shortcuts and break established narratives in order to create shock moments, regardless of the consequences. This isn't even about the books btw. The show has established the Unsullied as badass warriors who are super disciplined. You would expect that they would react to an ambush quite predictably: form rank and hold off the attackers as long as possible. In fact, fighting in such a narrow area would greatly benefit them, making the "ambush" even less likely to succeed.

Yet in order to create a shock scene, the writers thew all that out the window. Instead of being disciplined, the Unsullied break rank immediately. Instead of being premier fighters they get wrecked by a group of amateurs with knives. Not even swords.

See, I think D&D really underestimate their audience with the need to make consistent shock scenes. Just look at the Sopranos or Breaking Bad, both A class TV shows and yet they are both completely fine with taking it slow. However, I feel D&D are so concerned about the lull, especially in books 4 and 5, they have to overcompensate to keep people interested and entertained. It's alright to go slow bros, just look at your ratings, chill.

They hinted at it pretty strongly and it's tough for viewers to reconcile these two reagars portrayed in consecutive scenes: one of him supposedly raping Lyanna stark (what Sansa believes) and another of him singing and giving money to the poor in Kings landing (barristans). Plus, melisandre sees something strong in Jon.

I don't Think they'll say it outright. But M will definitely drop that there's kings blood in him, and then maybe Sansa or someone else will question the "kidnapping" of Lyanna Stark.
Dude, the TV show makes every more subtle plot point clear as day. They'll probably show Jon Snow's freaking birthing.

Marz

"I told them all to go to hell"

"For you are the princess Shireen of the House Baratheon.....and you are my daughter"

I was in tears yo what a great scene.

foxtrot3d

Banned

A really minor complaint but the show isn't without total support.

Jon said:
"You assume Moat Cailin will fall quickly, Snow," objected Justin Massey, "but the ironmen are doughty fighters, and I've heard it said that the Moat has never been taken."
"From the south. A small garrison in Moat Cailin can play havoc with any army coming up the causeway, but the ruins are vulnerable from the north and east." Jon turned back to Stannis. "Sire, this is a bold stroke, but the risk—"

x5pence

Neo Member
I hope Meryn Trant makes it all the way to Braavos. It gives Arya the chance to scratch one more name off her list. Perhaps it's what earns her the drink that makes her blind?

Selmy hardly went out like a chump. I don't really understand that line of thought. Complain about the Unsullied getting ambushed, ok. But Barristan fought off an unrealistic number of enemies if anything.

Laconic

Banned
Selmy hardly went out like a chump. I don't really understand that line of thought. Complain about the Unsullied getting ambushed, ok. But Barristan fought off an unrealistic number of enemies if anything.

You are talking about the guy who killed The Titan's Bastard with a stick.

I'm surprised not to see an awful lot of complaint about the Faith Militant.

TV Cersei is just kind of gleefully empowering the High Sparrow solely to target the Tyrells. In the books she was, if I'm remembering correctly, initially forced curry favor with him because she needed his approval of Tommen.

A really dumb change, IMO. Book Cersei is reckless enough already.

What the hell was that?

The Unsullied, you know, the guys that are supposedly like the Spartans of Essos, just break rank and flail about like drunk Stormtroopers when confronted by a bunch of guys brandishing daggers? And then they have goddamn Barristan the Bold go down to a bunch of dagger wielding nobodies?

Meh... that's just a horrible death. Not even in any sort of heartwrenching or shocking fashion but just in a confusing, lame and underwhelming way. Maybe Barristan goes down pretty quick in TWoW during the Battle of Mereen but then again, I guess the show is eschewing a great big battle involving a badass viking with a lava arm in favor of more time with great content like the Sand Snakes.

And what is up with the Faith Militant? I always liked that development in the book but imprisoning Loras? They just seemingly made them way, way too radical to the extent of coming across as straight up evil far too quickly. I just really hate how one note they've made Loras in the show. In the books he's primarily known as a great warrior while in the show they just push him as a promiscuous gay guy. What the hell.

The Stannis material was solid for once but the original material really is complete dogshit that barely makes any sense when you try to apply any reasoning to it. Oh yes, let's have Jaime and Bronn murder their way across Dorne and somehow infiltrate the equivalent of the White House to rescue Myrcella. That surely wouldn't start a war. Meanwhile you have Ellaria and the Sand Snakes giving monologues like bad comic book villains.

Right, its so obnoxious and lazy writing. At least if you want the Unsullied overwhelmed, have them overwhelmed in a way that makes sense. Instead you have all of them running off individually acting like the medieval equivalent of Stormtroopers just being shitty warriors because the lazy writing demands it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm talking about a human being surrounded by enemies in a relatively grounded series. This isn't LOTR and Barristan isn't Legolas.

Yup. I'm not pissed off how he died but that he died. Dude killed a bunch of them before going down, I'm upset that they underutilized a great actor and great character for shock purposes. Dude never even got proper Queensguard armor before dying.

I was cool with the Jon/Melisandre scene and they're pretty much hammering in the Lyanna/Rhaegar stuff, they really beat it all over the audience's head to where I wouldn't be surprised if Melisandre reveals something later this season. The Stannis/Shireen scene was good but man... Jaime going to Dorne and the Sand Snakes being turned into cartoon characters, ugh... Then the Meereen shit and it happening in broad daylight, really? That made no sense, even with being out numbered. Are the Harpies now skilled assassins/fighters?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Surrounded by a bunch of unskilled ex-slavers that aren't wearing armor and are using a mishmash of weapons.

Dude, GoT is pretty grounded and such a person would be dead in real life despite their training. You can be Jason Bourne all day but if 10 guys gang up on you then you're dead or beaten.

I think the thing I'm dreading the most is when Stannis is inevitably killed by Brienne. That's going to be fucking awful. And I'm guessing it will be after Sansa decides to help him or something too.

I'm getting mad just thinking about it.

cj_iwakura

At least Barristan went out swinging, could say a lot less about major deaths in some other shows.

I second the Sand Snakes being disappointing. In the book they seemed badass, here they just seem all bark.

Talon

I think the thing I'm dreading the most is when Stannis is inevitably killed by Brienne. That's going to be fucking awful. And I'm guessing it will be after Sansa decides to help him or something too.

I'm getting mad just thinking about it.
The series has always punished single-minded, single-purpose characters.

I suppose Brienne meeting Stannis would be like an immovable object getting hit by an unstoppable force.
Dude, GoT is pretty grounded and such a person would be dead in real life despite their training. You can be Jason Bourne all day but if 10 guys gang up on you then you're dead or beaten.
In the TV show itself, we've seen Ned Stark take down four or five Lannister lackies with no issue, and he's not even considered to be a great fighter compared to Barristan. In the books itself, Selmy's pretty much described as the best fighter in the seven kingdoms.

I'm surprised not to see an awful lot of complaint about the Faith Militant.

TV Cersei is just kind of gleefully empowering the High Sparrow solely to target the Tyrells. In the books she was, if I'm remembering correctly, initially forced curry favor with him because she needed his approval of Tommen.

A really dumb change, IMO. Book Cersei is reckless enough already.

Agreed. In AFFC she armed them because the crown owes money to the church, which results in the Septon refusing to bless Tommen. It's basically a trade. A horrible trade that only Cersei would make.

I think the show is missing an opportunity to really show how bad things are without Tywin; granted we're only 4 episodes in but so far it feels like business as usual in King's Landing. Tywin's death and Cersei's reign led to quite a bad period of instability, during which she made multiple blunders.

Massa

preview spoilers

5 seasons in and Peter Dinklage's reaction to Drogon is the best shit-that's-a-dragon reaction in the series.

Talon

Agreed. In AFFC she armed them because the crown owes money to the church, which results in the Septon refusing to bless Tommen. It's basically a trade. A horrible trade that only Cersei would make.

I think the show is missing an opportunity to really show how bad things are without Tywin; granted we're only 4 episodes in but so far it feels like business as usual in King's Landing. Tywin's death and Cersei's reign led to quite a bad period of instability, during which she made multiple blunders.
This actually bothers me. There's going to be a payoff of all this shit blowing up in Cersei's face, but the show missed an opportunity to show how out of her depth she is.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think it's funny GRRM is so against Fan-Fiction, and the show is now basically turned into Fan-Fiction.

They should've waited until all the books were out. It was fine up until now...

suzu

It only works out if you're a shirtless Ramsay. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom