• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melisandre leaving the Wall is not a departure I expected. I wonder where that is going.

I think it's funny GRRM is so against Fan-Fiction, and the show is now basically turned into Fan-Fiction.

They should've waited until all the books were out. It was fine up until now...
Official licensed products are not fanfiction. Otherwise Wild Cards would be too. Nothing going on here contradicts GRRM's stance on fanfiction.

someday

Banned
Agreed. In AFFC she armed them because the crown owes money to the church, which results in the Septon refusing to bless Tommen. It's basically a trade. A horrible trade that only Cersei would make.

I think the show is missing an opportunity to really show how bad things are without Tywin; granted we're only 4 episodes in but so far it feels like business as usual in King's Landing. Tywin's death and Cersei's reign led to quite a bad period of instability, during which she made multiple blunders.
This is a really good point.

Laconic

Banned
I think it's funny GRRM is so against Fan-Fiction, and the show is now basically turned into Fan-Fiction.

They should've waited until all the books were out. It was fine up until now...

Really?

That Sam and Gilly scene on the ship fairly reeked of his playing to fan-fiction.

Moon

Banned
So im the only one who thinks Barristan isnt actually dead just severely wounded? Didnt 'feel' like a death to me.

Dude, GoT is pretty grounded and such a person would be dead in real life despite their training. You can be Jason Bourne all day but if 10 guys gang up on you then you're dead or beaten.

Realistic fight scenes in this series? Are we watching the same show? Did you SEE the Bronn fight in this very episode? Or the infiltration of Yunkai (or was it Astapor?) from S3? Or Ned vs the Lannisters, or Brienne slaughtering her way across Westeros?

What was even more nuts was that the Harpies didn't even show fear. The UNSULLIED were more scared than they were. Barristan killed like 10 of them, they were armed with knives, some of them should have run the hell away. They aren't an army, they are former slave masters with no training.

Lautaro

They should've waited until all the books were out.

Oh please, yeah they are going to stop a succesful show for an undefined amount of years in order to please the book readers.

Let's be realistic, please. The books are not getting finished any time soon.

The Hermit

Fuck I just told my gf that there was no way the greatest knight in the world would go down like that.

hahah me too. I said "this is the greatest knight on the show and this is the first time they are showing him so have to be awesome and he will most likely rescue the other dude"

then he dies and I am like
2plainFace.png

foxtrot3d

Banned
Realistic fight scenes in this series? Are we watching the same show? Did you SEE the Bronn fight in this very episode? Or the infiltration of Yunkai (or was it Astapor?) from S3? Or Ned vs the Lannisters, or Brienne slaughtering her way across Westeros?

What was even more nuts was that the Harpies didn't even show fear. The UNSULLIED were more scared than they were. Barristan killed like 10 of them, they were armed with knives, some of them should have run the hell away. They aren't an army, they are former slave masters with no training.

Blame it on the show being inconsistent so as to make things more flashy. In the books Barristan's ass would be dead if he went up against 10 armed dudes with no armor or shield.

Mr. RPG

Oh please, yeah they are going to stop a succesful show for an undefined amount of years in order to please the book readers.

Let's be realistic, please. The books are not getting finished any time soon.

I think he meant he wished they had waited to start the show until the entire book series was finished.

It only works out if you're a shirtless Ramsay. D:

Yeah, the show is only grounded when it wants to be. How a group of battle hardened vikings couldn't take on shirtless Ramsay is bizarre, and then they stand there and do nothing as he slowly moves to unlock a door to a cage holding an Ironborn's greatest fear: Landkrakens.

Really?

That Sam and Gilly scene on the ship fairly reeked of his playing to fan-fiction.

Worth it for "fat pink mast".

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think he meant he wished they had waited to start the show until the entire book series was finished.

Yep. Could've made the adaptation instead of loosely based on the books.

The problem isn't so much comparing it to the books either, it's because they started out as following the books so close, and then deviated it's opening up a ton of gaping plot holes. They have to sort of retcon themselves.

Even if you look at the show totally contained, Barristan Selmy dying doesn't make any sense. Jorah called him the greatest fighter in the past 100 years in the show even.

hoos30

Is there any way that a 100% show watcher could have pieced together the R+L=J theory before tonight's episode or no?

If not, how about after tonight?
This week some critic wrote that a good twist is one that half of the audience can figure out. Show watchers have never been given reason enough to care about R or L. D&D are setting this up for a reason.

Chatin

Upsetting that Selmy is confirmed dead. I was looking forward to some of the DWD content making it to screen. Also some potential scenes between him and Tyrion. Not really yet seeing the benefit of the show killing him off early.

They should also make it more clear as to the fate of these characters when they diverge as my initial reaction was that he was injured enough to fool the viewers and have a surprise recovering in the next episodes.

Selmy dying is upsetting. He had some of my favorite chapters in ADWD. Not rage inducing though as I'm expecting him to die in TWoW.

It's kind of refreshing honestly. This death almost certainly wasn't a spoiler. Bright side.

I guess all that talking about Lyanna and Rhaegar helped them. It wasn't very subtle.

And Stannis mentioned Jon's mother after his wife said he was a bastard. Even sorta questioning the official story by bringing up Ned's honor. Pretty much confirms it imo.

Lothar

Banned
I really didn't like books 4 and 5 and found all the stuff with Dany pretty lame, so the TV guys going their own way is fine by me. Be mostly faithful to the Westeros stuff and do whatever they can to spice up Arya's and Dany's tales

Well there's absolutely no way in fuck they're doing any better for Dany. It's guaranteed to be 100 times worse now than what the books did without Barristan - he was one of the few likable characters from that part of the story. Another one was Strong Belwas, and he's not in it either.

So is Jaime's wacky adventure (plus eventual capture) in Dorne going to be the excuse for him not going to save Cersei? Instead of ignoring it like one of the best moments in the books?

How did they screw up Jaime so badly in S4?

Speevy

Banned
I was just watching Rome season 1 this evening and it kills me what they've done to Indira Varma given what a good actress she is.

Such a stupid accent, such awful dialogue.

Pretty bullshit that they made Barristan go out like that. Dude is like the biggest badass alive in the books, here he's a chump. Either that or the Harpies are suddenly god-tier Faceless Men-level assassins now.

Speevy

Banned
I took it as Barristan fights like a knight. He took ten of the men down but eventually he's going to get stabbed, given his age.

Being an elite fighter doesn't mean you're invincible.

Also, ALL the best fighters in Westeros have been bested. Brienne was knocked into the dirt. Jaime was beaten fair and square. The Hound was taken out. The Mountain was bested.

It's not surprising that a knight in his 60s previously surrounded by dozens of Lannister or Baratheon soldiers could lose in a dark alley to a dozen cutthroats.

suzu

My favorite part of this episode was Stannis and Shireen. Dem feels.

So is Jaime's wacky adventure (plus eventual capture) in Dorne going to be the excuse for him not going to save Cersei? Instead of ignoring it like one of the best moments in the books?

How did they screw up Jaime so badly in S4?

I'd be pretty mad if that were to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom