• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The show has never bothered to convey Barristan's legendary strength and heroism.

In that sense it's a fitting (but depressing and stupid) end for him.
They did in season 2. Jamie was locked up and asked who the greatest swordsman he'd ever seen was and he said Sir Barristan. Something like watching him with a sword was like watching a master painter with his brush.

Granted, they never touched on it since. Would have been cook to see that in the preview recap to start the show.

squicken

I really didn't like books 4 and 5 and found all the stuff with Dany pretty lame, so the TV guys going their own way is fine by me. Be mostly faithful to the Westeros stuff and do whatever they can to spice up Arya's and Dany's tales

kirblar

As much as I will continue to argue that Melisandre’s nudity is much more purposeful than the show’s broader engagement with T&A, I didn’t entirely see why she was seducing Jon, if I’m being honest.
Really, AV Club? She wants herself a Shadow Baby.

Since they ended up killing him off that all but confirms Selmy dies in WoW. I can't fathom any other fucking reason for doing that now. Man, GoT has had some shit tier writing this season.

Still, I have to give props to the Stannis scene. That was a badass and touching scene at the same time (which means one of the two characters die).

TBH Barristan was high on the list of "characters most likely to die in TWOW" long before this episode. Ironically the logic is pretty similar: I assume he was killed off on the show in part to make room for new advisers for Dany, and I think he'll die in TWOW for pretty much the season reason.

Great actor, horribly under utilized.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The worst part was how awful the Sand Snakes actors are. Couldn't they pick people who actually can deliver lines without sounds cheesy as fuck?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is anyone in the non-book-reader thread starting to ask, "Uhh, why the fuck is Dany just dicking around in Meereen?"

Not really. More like how come the Unsullied were taken out so easily, and then someone explaining that they were outnumbered forty to seven.

Someone did say that Jon being a Targaryen would be lame...

Talon

Tyron better get to Mereen real quick, or Dany's going to be making some awesome decisions without any advisors.

Lautaro

Is anyone in the non-book-reader thread starting to ask, "Uhh, why the fuck is Dany just dicking around in Meereen?"

"Oh is been 4 seasons and Winter is never coming/Dany is never going to Westeros, we have to wait so much". (jk)

I'm more upset at the Unsullied going down so easily, they even forgot they have to form up like a proper phalanx, this scene is as lame as the failed rescue of Theon.

foxtrot3d

Banned
TBH Barristan was high on the list of "characters most likely to die in TWOW" long before this episode. Ironically the logic is pretty similar: I assume he was killed off on the show in part to make room for new advisers for Dany, and I think he'll die in TWOW for pretty much the season reason.

Great actor, horribly under utilized.

I don't feel that at all for him, in fact I think it will be a very interesting dynamic if him, Tyrion, Jorah, and Dany are all back together.

Well, D&B succeeded in one thing.

They made Mereen as awful as the books.

honestly

its a lot better than the books--and that's honestly saying something

for as much as people are complaining right now, if the show had followed the books to the letter the show would lose half its fanbase, that's how slow both those books are

Fuck I just told my gf that there was no way the greatest knight in the world would go down like that.

i mean he's old now--still very good, but pretty sure canon wise Brienne is best now

glaw52

Also all this Lyanna talk makes it seem like they will reveal R+L=J this season. I can't think of any other reason they would bring that up.

Tubie

I really hope Stannis ends up being the only king in the end.

Dany doesn't deserve shit and they've managed to make her even less likeable in the show than she is in the book lol.

RIP Barry the Bold.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I don't feel that at all for him, in fact I think it will be a very interesting dynamic if him, Tyrion, Jorah, and Dany are all back together.

Won't happen. It will be Dany, Victarion, and Tyrion...maybe Darrio. Her advisers are hell bent on destroying Westeros. She needs to become the main antagonist. She can't have people with decent morals.

At least the books conveyed why Dany is dicking around in Meereen for ages and ages.

It was misguided and stupid in the books, but you're at least told (ad nauseam) why she's doing it.

I don't feel like the show is conveying much of this at all. She's there because she's there.

UraMallas

Haha! From the book thread:

All the boat scenes make me expect them to bump into Robert's rowing bastard.

I know it would've been stupid as shit but I think that would've been funny. "Oh, you know... just rowing stuff."

The worst part was how awful the Sand Snakes actors are. Couldn't they pick people who actually can deliver lines without sounds cheesy as fuck?

I honestly don't even remember what any of them said.

Just the one girl who said something, something and then threw the spear at the scorpion king.

Plus short hair girl was fiiiire. Unf.

I can't see it. I'd be shocked if he survives the battle. Really seems like he was manipulated by the Shavepate to attack. Wild dragons, Iron Born, being outnumbered, rampant disease, and most daming: multiple POVs converging.

Kerned

Banned
I got really worried for Barristan when he had his touching moment with Dany. He may as well have said, "well, off to die now" on the way out the door.

Barristan Selmy, who killed Simon Toyne and ended the Kingswood Rebellion, somehow dies at the hand of a bunch of slave masters.

Feels so fucking wrong.

Thaedolus

Two things I don't like:

1) Why the fuck is Show Loras all about his sword swallowing? In the books he's a badass who happens to be gay, in the show he's just some stereotypical effeminate gay guy and spoiled and pompous to boot. It irks me he went down like a bitch in this episode. Ugh.

2) Barristan. Really? That's how you end such a great character? And the unsullied get rekt like that??

I'm normally pretty cool with the differences between the two, but this week really stretched my patience thin.

At least the books conveyed why Dany is dicking around in Meereen for ages and ages.

It was misguided and stupid in the books, but you're at least told (ad nauseam) why she's doing it.

I don't feel like the show is conveying much of this at all. She's there because she's there.

i actually think we've known for a while now that dany wants to save people and these are her people and whateverdafuck

honestly, i kind of feel like i'm out of fucks about the whole situation--we're really really running out of antagonists at kings landing to even bother getting the satisfaction of dany saving the day

i'd imagine that the others start going HAM in WoW, otherwise the Dany arrival is just going to be the most underwhelming thing ever

I liked Barry but I guess we're not really missing out on that much (that we know of, at least) by offing him now. Still, lame that they couldn't find a better way to send him off.

That Dorne stuff is rough. I love the idea of Jamie and Bronn going out there, but going around and killing dudes right off the bat is so stupid it's hard to ignore. And the Sand Snakes...

First episode of the season I wasn't really on board with.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Barristan Selmy, who killed Simon Toyne and ended the Kingswood Rebellion, somehow dies at the hand of a bunch of slave masters.

Feels so fucking wrong.

He also killed Maelys the Monstrous on the Stepstones.

Won't happen. It will be Dany, Victarion, and Tyrion...maybe Darrio. Her advisers are hell bent on destroying Westeros. She needs to become the main antagonist. She can't have people with decent morals.

Vicatarion, advising? Nah, he's gonna die soon I bet. After all he wants to kidnap Dany and make her his bride. I also don't subscribe to the theory that Dany is going to become the antagonist.

Feels so fucking wrong.

Robert Baratheon, killer of Raegar Targaryan and one of the strongest fighters Westeros has ever known died to a boar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
They did in season 2. Jamie was locked up and asked who the greatest swordsman he'd ever seen was and he said Sir Barristan. Something like watching him with a sword was like watching a master painter with his brush.

Granted, they never touched on it since. Would have been cook to see that in the preview recap to start the show.

This moment, plus Ned and Barriston's talk in season 1 ("if we met on the field of battle, you'd have made a widow of my wife"). That, plus when Joffrey/Cersai kicked him off the kingsguard, they seemed proper terrified of him on his "cutting a cake" line.

Kind of like with Davos and Jorah's actors, I just liked the Show Barriston's actor.

Also all this Lyanna talk makes it seem like they will reveal R+L=J this season. I can't think of any other reason they would bring that up.

They hinted at it pretty strongly and it's tough for viewers to reconcile these two reagars portrayed in consecutive scenes: one of him supposedly raping Lyanna stark (what Sansa believes) and another of him singing and giving money to the poor in Kings landing (barristans). Plus, melisandre sees something strong in Jon.

I don't Think they'll say it outright. But M will definitely drop that there's kings blood in him, and then maybe Sansa or someone else will question the "kidnapping" of Lyanna Stark.

Unsullied looked like total losers in this episode. Fucking bred their entire lives to be warriors and killed by a bunch of slavers with knives.

At least Greg Worm kicked some ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom