• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Eh R+L=J is the openest secret there is. So many blog posts about that story of D&D getting quizzed by GRR on Jon'a parents. Anyone who knows a reader has definitely heard something precious about but is Ned the dad? by now.

Speevy

Banned
There are at about 7 Unsullied who walk into the trap.

There are at least 24 sons of harpies.

During the fight, about 7 sons of harpies kill two unsullied and rush inside.

So if each unsullied killed 7 or 8 men, they could have won this fight.

Barristan kills about 12.

Corpekata

Banned
*breathes*

Okay, so the the R+L stuff was amazing. I do however find it VERY odd that people in the other thread just suddenly 'knew' R+L=J because it hasn't been hinted at AT ALL in the series. Other than Barristan talking occasionly about how good a guy Rhaegar was, there was NOTHING until this episode. Then the 'not Ned Stark's way' thing from Stannis and the huge exposition dump from Littlefinger, but I still don't think people would have just put it together from that :/

Sigh

Anyhow, Barristan dying was bullshit. Total and completely bullshit. As well the Unsullied getting owned. The fuck, show? Urrrgh. Usually I am happy with how the show handles stuff but...

mnMqi.gif

Well there's also been lots of interviews and jokes about who's Jon's parents are that they might have seen that led people to thinking at the very least Jon was not Ned's kid. Even was a joke on that recent Seth Meyers' skit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BabsgCQhpu4

Thaedolus

The latter's also probably why Daario wasn't the one who died too.

Well, then there's the whole Daario is
Euron
reveal which you have to be thinking might be the reason for a certain other plotline taking the backseat this season...

Brakke

Banned
The gay persecution angle to the Faith Militant storyline felt way too heavy handed and ripped from the headlines to me. Yet another example of the show's poor handling of homosexuality.

What newspaper are you reading that features headlines about cudgel-wielding monks beating up gay dudes in brothels?

glaw52

*breathes*

Okay, so the the R+L stuff was amazing. I do however find it VERY odd that people in the other thread just suddenly 'knew' R+L=J because it hasn't been hinted at AT ALL in the series. Other than Barristan talking occasionly about how good a guy Rhaegar was, there was NOTHING until this episode. Then the 'not Ned Stark's way' thing from Stannis and the huge exposition dump from Littlefinger, but I still don't think people would have just put it together from that :/

Sigh

Anyhow, Barristan dying was bullshit. Total and completely bullshit. As well the Unsullied getting owned. The fuck, show? Urrrgh. Usually I am happy with how the show handles stuff but...

mnMqi.gif

I didn't read the books until after the first season. I had a pretty strong feeling that Jon was Lyanna's son after Ned and Jon went their separate ways. The only thing I wasn't sure about was Jon's father. It's possible that more attentive show watchers could have picked up on it.

Kuroyume

Banned
Alright episode. Didn't like the fight at the end. Greyworm goes in with a handful of guys and yet it felt like he went in with 20. Really bad fight.

Enjoyed the Bronn and Jaimie scenes. Same with Littlefinger and Sansa. Stannis and his daughter. Good stuff in King's Landing with the Sparrows.

The gay persecution angle to the Faith Militant storyline felt way too heavy handed and ripped from the headlines to me. Yet another example of the show's poor handling of homosexuality.

It makes sense. They're bashing people around for alcohol consumption and paid sex. Not surprising for them to be bahsing homosexuals too given it's taboo in general.

A medieval religion modeled after the Catholic Church having fanatics that don't like homosexuals is hardly ripped from modern headlines.

So what's everyone's feeling concerning whether Melisandre will demand Shireen as a sacrifice?

She's apparently leaving the Wall. Is she going to take Shireen too? Though I don't really get the point of having Melisandre on the march with Stannis. But they had a dedicated scene for it, so whatever they are doing with her seems to require having her away from the Wall.

Tiktaalik

Eh I understand why people are in a bit of disbelief that the Unsullied would be taken down so easily as they've been built up as super soldiers, but on the other hand, I can easily believe that if your only weapon is a ~7 ft spear, and you're fighting outnumbered in a narrow hallway that isn't much wider than ~7 feet, you aren't properly equipped for the job.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if they're setting up a scenario where Meryn Trant kills Mace Tyrell, then Arya kills Meryn Trant, since he's going to Braavos.

I hate that I always have to work and miss these discussions.

Speevy

Banned
She's apparently leaving the Wall. Is she going to take Shireen too? Though I don't really get the point of having Melisandre on the march with Stannis. But they had a dedicated scene for it, so whatever they are doing with her seems to require having her away from the Wall.

Well, Stannis told her she could come, but something tells me she just wants to stay near Jon Snow.

Zolo

I wonder if they're setting up a scenario where Meryn Trant kills Mace Tyrell, then Arya kills Meryn Trant, since he's going to Braavos.

I hate that I always have to work and miss these discussions.

That'd be an interesting take of Cersei to set that up to hurt house Tyrell more.

Eh I understand why people are in a bit of disbelief that the Unsullied would be taken down so easily as they've been built up as super soldiers, but on the other hand, I can easily believe that if your only weapon is a ~7 ft spear, and you're fighting outnumbered in a narrow hallway that isn't much wider than ~7 feet, you aren't properly equipped for the job.

Yeah I think the Harpies lured them there on purpose for the overwhelming tactical advantage.

Zolo

Well, then there's the whole Daario is
Euron
reveal which you have to be thinking might be the reason for a certain other plotline taking the backseat this season...

I've never really subscribed to the theory, but at this point, it feels like the only way we'd get the greyjoys back into the story at this point.

Iksenpets

Banned
I get that Barristan probably had to die early since the batte is cut, and he probably needs to be out of the picture beforeDany heads to Westeros, so I'm not upset that he died, but I am upset they chose the laziest possible way to kill him off. Just write a scene where he dies! No attempt to create a satisfying character arc, no attempt to really develop the character at all, just get rid of him. I'm not sure who ended up being more under developed between him and Mance, but it's sad to see them both cut off so early.

TTG

The fight scenes continue to be irritating. I don't mind a bad action scene all that much, but this 6 cuts within 4 seconds style is nauseating.

The scene with one of the Dornish daughters is exemplary for the low points of this show. Some inane grandstanding speech in a ridiculous accent followed by a garbled mess that's suppose to intimate her throwing a spear at the dude's head.

Kuroyume

Banned
The show has a thing for tearing down character legends.

Barristan one of the greatest swordsmen of all of westeros? Slain by a bunch of common thugs wearing masks.

The Hound is one of the most fearsome, strongest, and greatest fighters in all of westeros? Left for dead after a fight with Briennne.

Asha/Yara and the Iron born some of the toughest, courageous, and strongest fighters around? Chased off by a bunch of dogs even though they were armed.

Speevy

Banned
The fight scenes continue to be irritating. I don't mind a bad action scene all that much, but this 6 cuts within 4 seconds style is nauseating.

The scene with one of the Dornish daughters is exemplary for the low points of this show. Some inane grandstanding speech in a ridiculous accent followed by a garbled mess that's suppose to intimate her throwing a spear at the dude's head.

Ellaria should have been like "Yes, I know. You gave that speech when we were picking a place to eat the other night."

Speevy

Banned

Barristan one of the greatest swordsmen of all of westeros? Slain by a bunch of common thugs wearing masks.

The Hound is one of the most fearsome, strongest, and greatest fighters in all of westeros? Left for dead after a fight with Briennne.

Asha/Yara and the Iron born some of the toughest, courageous, and strongest fighters around? Chased off by a bunch of dogs even though they were armed.

Which leads us to the inevitable conclusion. Legends get that way because of lies spread by the victors, an those who live the longest do so on the backs of others, or due to pure luck.

Corpekata

Banned

I don't think you can say the show is at fault for the Hound. It's not far off from the books, arguably a better way for that scene to come about.

TTG

Ellaria should have been like "Yes, I know. You gave that speech when we were picking a place to eat the other night."

But the viewers weren't around to hear my back story then! Do you want us to be dropped after this season the way the sea people were? Is that what you want?

Which leads us to the inevitable conclusion. Legends get that way because of lies spread by the victors, an those who live the longest do so on the backs of others, or due to pure luck.

I don't think there was any design or connection to the unfolding of those particular events, certainly no greater thematic purpose(apart from: This is GoT, we kill characters on this show all the time). Barristan has been an ancillary character for a while now. I'll take a trade of him getting the axe if it means he serves as a catalyst to some intrigue for Danny. Maybe his death will destabilize her out of stagnation(and boredom to us).

Madness

*breathes*

Sigh

mnMqi.gif

Before reading the books, I just knew he wasn't Ned Starks. Ned was too honorable, and would've never done that. Also, I read an interview Kit Harrington had done where he said he felt a Luke and Leia type situation with his character. Plus, later on, in interviews, Sean Bean has confirmed on two different counts that Jon isn't his. So not surprising people quickly buy into the notion Jon was never his.

Ratrat

The non-book readers figured out R+L=J already just from that scene?
It would just take one attentative or imaginative person to speculate and it would all click for everyone else. I'm sure book readers figured it out with just the first book.

Dysun

to be honest I think there are some book readers hiding in that thread. someone last week predicted Jon would die already lol

Not to derail the conversation but they laid R+L = J thick as hell tonight. It doesn't take an incredible enlightenment to piece it together

Madness

Book readers definitely hang out there. When I was a show watcher, at the start of season 3 some guy came in and was like, "Roose will obviously betray Robb. It's so simple, Robb has been winning battles but is losing the war, why? Roose is in Tywin pocket" "Theon is held by Roose's bastard son, didn't you see the way Theon was tied up matched the banners of the flayed man on the guys who captured Jaime and Brienne?"

I remember this because I even asked how the hell he could draw all this within the first 2 episodes. But he pointed out all the correct details, but you couldn't know it unless you knew what to look for beforehand. Cornballer monitors the thread now though, he's vigilant against this stuff.

Tiktaalik

Maybe Joffery was right and Selmy was an old man with his best days behind him. All he's done for the last few seasons was muse about the good old days. What great warriors has he slain lately?

Corpekata

Banned
There's a ton of hints in this episode. It spends like 10 minutes talking about Rhaeger suddenly in two different scenes, probably as much as the entire rest of the series. Stannis' line about Ned. Melisandre attempting to seduce Jon and speaking of shadows, implying he has king's blood.

I think out of context of a TV show some of those could be dismissed but the two big speeches about him 5 seasons in have to have signaled to some people something's up.

eot

Banned
I thought that fight scene at the end was pretty bad. First of all, I thought Unsullied don't feel pain. Secondly, a tight corridor is a pretty good place for people with spears and shields to hold off some untrained assholes with knifes. Of course, the Unsullied didn't even take a formation or anything, they just get their necks cut left and right. Finally, Barristan's choreography looked about on par with Obi-Wan in A New Hope. I know he's old, but still.

I was not surprised at all at the Unsullied getting owned.

Spears make for very poor fighting choice in chose quarter combat. Son of Harpies have shown they are calculating and cunning, Unsullied have only shown they are brave. Brave doesn't always win over tactical disadvantages...this ain't fucking Sparta.

*breathes*

Sigh

mnMqi.gif

I'm repeating myself but first episode of the show, before reading or knowing any details of the books. Maybe not general watchers but I think anyone who's had a fair bit of exposure to fantasy would've been asking themselves that question pretty damn quickly.

As for the Harpies and all that yeah, that was bullshit and D&D love their shock value.

RedShift

Seasons 1-4: everyone is done justice apart from Stannis.

Season 5: No one is done justice apart from Stannis (who probably only is so Brienne can kill him)

Can't believe how bad parts of the show have got. The Sand Snakes were just so... so bad.

Jigorath

Banned

The showrunners finally making Stannis look good. What a great scene for the Mannis.

Overall, loved the episode. Very brutal. Not too annoyed about Barristan's death, he was pretty much a non-entity in the show and they had to free up some space for Tyrion. With Littlefinger talking about how the Battle of Winterfell is going to be a sure-fire win for Stannis makes it sound like something is going to go very wrong. Brienne is going to fuck everything up isn't she? The Sand Snakes feel like they belong on a Power Rangers cartoon. So silly.

Brakke

Banned
Did Melisandre drop a "You know nothing, Jon Snow" in ADWD? I honestly can't remember.

Yeah actually. I just got to it on my re-read. She drops it at the end of a chapter so we don't seen Jon react. Also it follows a conversation thread like it *could* be total coincidence. But like come on obviously it isn't.

Madness

Maybe Joffery was right and Selmy was an old man with his best days behind him. All he's done for the last few seasons was muse about the good old days. What great warriors has he slain lately?

He did kill like 6 gold cloaks who went to stop him after he left Joffrey no? It's just dumb. Even though he was old, in the show, him, grey worm and Daario take Yunkai after killing all those hired mercenaries, and yet a couple of Harpy's who aren't fighters take him and grey worm out?

The unsullied were definitely a let down from how much they were hyped. Supposedly some of the best fighters in the land. These people were supposed to help Dany take on Westeros? It's probably why Ned wasn't worried about her Dothraki either. Dangerous around Qarth and others, but would be slaughtered against armored Knights, lances and archers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom