• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masaki_

Thing is, what would R+L=J's reveal really do at this point? Jon would still be a bastard and Lord Commander of the Watch. What other character would be affected by the reveal?

Madness

Thing is, what would R+L=J's reveal really do at this point? Jon would still be a bastard and Lord Commander of the Watch. What other character would be affected by the reveal?

He would be the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. You definitely know it would be a game changer for the whole realm of Westeros. Everyone rallies to Daenarys because she's the last of the Targaryens, but here you have another highborn, one who is also the son of Lyanna, sister of Ned. Most consider all the Stark men dead. I don't remember where bastard men stand in relation women in terms of ascension to thrones in Westerosi terms, but all it would take is a king or queen naming him Jon Targaryen or Stark whatever he chooses and he will be afforded all the privilege that comes with it. Dany considers Stannis and the Baratheons usurpers, imagine she now has a nephew who is around her age etc. He is the union of Ice and Fire.

Moff

I dont believe barristan is dead, this ist just D&D toying with the book readers "all your books and you still know nothing". he will not be the dead that is alive in the books. it will be bronn, mark my words.

the unsullied getting owned and the sand snakes didnt bother me at all, what bothered me the most was how ultra fast the sparrows gained so much power, I mean come on, was that really believable? that was way too fast, and cerseis intentions are not nearly clear enough. not well done in my opinion.

stannis was fantastic, that scene somehow mirrored tywins scene with tyrion, where he told him that he almost drowned him. very well written.

nice to see the rhaegar setup, too. we will get a flashback this season.

duckroll

I don't think this was going to ever be a "it means something in terms of law and birthright" thing. It seems much more related to prophecy, destiny, and what Rhaegar believed. Will it have any impact on the actual story or will it be another example of how prophecy and fate can be wrong? Who knows.

Pkaz01

The stuff in Dorne was so terrible.. the Jaime/Bronn stuff and the Sand Snake stuff was just dumb. The actress who played Obara was just terrible, she seemed like an even worse version of michelle rodriguez

Hamlet

I dont believe barristan is dead, this ist just D&D toying with the book readers "all your books and you still know nothing". he will not be the dead that is alive in the books. it will be bronn, mark my words.

the unsullied getting owned and the sand snakes didnt bother me at all, what bothered me the most was how ultra fast the sparrows gained so much power, I mean come on, was that really believable? that was way too fast, and cerseis intentions are not nearly clear enough. not well done in my opinion.

stannis was fantastic, that scene somehow mirrored tywins scene with tyrion, where he told him that he almost drowned him. very well written.

He's dead, Jim

But yeah i'm quite worried about Bronn and Stannis. Guessing Bronn will probably share the same fate of Arys Oakheart.

Topper

If it's proved that R+J were actually married at some point, he'll actually be a Targaryen Prince and heir to the throne, and the son of a Stark. Them's some HUGE creds at this point.

I thought I read targaryen don't really have bastards they are all legit regardless of marriage?

The sparrows gained power because Cersei made the High Sparrow the Septon right?

Moff

He's dead, Jim

maybe it's just part of a big plan? :(
that's just bad. his death was bad, I especially disliked how happy he strolled through the streets before the fight, it was so silly and clear what would happen, damn.
the interview is a bit sad, too. he seems to be totally aware that barristan was a character they absolutely did no justice to in the show. so if I have to choose between show barristan and show bronn, I would probably have picked bronn, too, because he is absolutely fantastic. but we'll probably lose both, wont' we :(

foxtrot3d

Banned
maybe it's just part of a big plan? :(
that's just bad. his death was bad, I especially disliked how happy he strolled through the streets before the fight, it was so silly and clear what would happen, damn.
the interview is a bit sad, too. he seems to be totally aware that barristan was a character they absolutely did no justice to in the show. so if I have to choose between show barristan and show bronn, I would probably have picked bronn, too, because he is absolutely fantastic. but we'll probably lose both, wont' we :(

It sucks because he's one of the few actors who has read all the books and is a true fan and you can just tell he's not happy with how they ultimately portrayed Selmy in the show. At the very least they could have killed him and the end of the season, he barely had a chance to advise Dany or tell her about her father.

Jigorath

Banned
Respec points for Selmy's actor actually reading the books. It blew my mind that so few of the cast have actually bothered to pick up the books.

This episode is like a double edged sword. On one hand, the episode gave a really excellent scene between The Mannis and HIS daughter which really tugged at my heart strings. While on the other they took out Barry the bold.

Writing off Barry the bold is just absolutely ridiculous. So who's going to explain to Danny now on why Aerys had to be toppled down? What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

http://i.imgur.com/4Aiinfq.jpg[/img

EDIT: WHOOPS

tumblr_nnt2j7zwxV1s95j2so3_250.gif

tumblr_nnt2j7zwxV1s95j2so4_250.gif

tumblr_nnt2j7zwxV1s95j2so5_250.gif

;_;
All that scene made me think is that one of them is going to die soon. :(

NeoGiff

I liked a lot of the episode, but it also had some legitimate problems:

+ Jorah and Tyrion were great. I haven't really been impressed with Dinklage since seasons 1 and 2. Shades of his sarcastic season 2 self were showing in this scene, which I loved.
+ Stannis the Mannis and Queen Shireen. Enough said. Although, that's our third Greyscale/Stonemen reference this season. Something is going down.
+ Nice visual callback to the premiere with Robert's feather. I liked this scene between Sansa and Littlefinger.
+ Jonathan Pryce is a brilliant actor. He has such a measured way of speaking, as if he contemplates each syllable before uttering it. And the transition from him smiling at Cersei to the Faith Militant tearing shit up was quite effective.
+ The theme for the Faith Militant is interesting, and I like it.

- Jaime and Bronn are amusing as always, but their whole plotline? Eeehhhhh...
- When Loras isn't being a gay joke, he's just a joke. He allowed himself to be taken so easily? Really?
- The Sand Snakes are fucking abysmal. That was the first time I've ever cringed during the show (I just laughed at the Yara dog scene). I don't even want to talk about them. I hate them and I wish Quentyn was here bumbling around instead.
- There's a really bad cut when Obara throws her spear. It's such an unnatural, jarring non-transition from her flipping her spear to her suddenly mid-throw, and it completely took me out of an already bad scene. It's a small thing, but noticeable. This is the kind of shoddy directing work we don't usually see in Game of Thrones - well, that we haven't seen since the great "Arya killing the fat boy" scene.
- I adored the scene between Dany and Barristan, and do you know why? Dany was finally allowed to have a normal conversation again, a chat that two human beings would have. No tough queen Kelly C mode, just a nice relaxing exchange of words.

And now for the most controversial scene (which is saying something since this is also the episode the Sand Snakes were introduced in):

To an extent, I have no problem with the Unsullied being killed as they were. They are at their best on an open field in formation and in great numbers. Here, they were surrounded in an alleyway armed only with spears. There's not much you can do in a tight space against guys with daggers/shortswords. I would have preferred if it was all a lot quicker (as it would have made the deaths more plausible), but things have to be milked on TV, I guess. Even Barristan should have faced a bit of difficulty (which he did) due to the fact that he was swinging around a longsword. His death, on the other hand, was very clumsily handled. Why the fuck pull away from the throat slit if he's just dead anyway. At least make it clear! It completely robs the scene of any emotional impact if the viewer is left wondering for a whole week if a character died or not. The reactions next week will now be "Oh, he died, I guess", rather than an emotional one which they had set up with the Rhaegar conversation beforehand. I'm not sure if this is a noob mistake by Dave Hill, or D&D working their magic. I'm going to say D&D.

Oh, and more importantly - Stannis' "it wasn't Ned Stark's way" to lie with "tavern sluts", the Tourney at Harrenhall monologue, and Barristan's "noble Rhaegar" monologue. The R+L=J reveal is happening this season, isn't it?

Barristan Selmy, we hardly knew ye.

RQqibab.gif

Moff

Writing off Barry the bold is just absolutely ridiculous. So who's going to explain to Danny now on why Aerys had to be toppled down? What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

he did that already, episode 3 I think?
set photos spoilers:
and tyrion will probably be the one to advise dany with westeros lore

Oh, and more importantly - Stannis' "it wasn't Ned Stark's way" to lie with "tavern sluts", the Tourney at Harrenhall monologue, and Barristan's "noble Rhaegar" monologue. The R+L=J reveal is happening this season, isn't it?
Definitely seems like they're building towards that. Everyone's just accepted it as the truth for so long I imagine most of us will be completely unfazed by it when it is revealed.

RedShift

The hinting is pretty strong, but I can't believe they'd reveal George's biggest twist any sooner than they absolutely had to.

Although it might explain why he's seemed a lot more pissed off about the show lately.

he did that already, episode 3 I think?
set photos spoilers:
and tyrion will probably be the one to advise dany with westeros lore

Yeah but Barry doesn't really go into detail about it or it just feels he needs more time to explain what really happened. Like a lengthy one on one talk. :(

Tyrion is a well read man but the guy was probably still a boy when the rebellion started

Moff

Yeah but Barry doesn't really go into detail about it or it just feels he needs more time to explain what really happened. Like a lengthy one on one talk. :(

Tyrion is a well read man but the guy was probably still a boy when the rebellion started

well I'd guess tyrion heard a lot of first hand knowledge about areys II from jaime. so if they want to go down that way, they could easily use that.

duckroll

Just don't PM me! I don't want to deal with book readers who have nothing better to do than to be "concerned" about another thread. If people in the show thread think someone is trying to spoil them, they can complain about it. They don't need other people feeling outraged on their behalf. :p

LordCanti

The whole Sand Snake segment reminded me of something that you'd find in a Scifi channel original program. I was cringing the entire time.

They wasted Selmy on the show so his death doesn't hit me as hard as it could have otherwise. It's a shame that they never really did anything with him though. One of the greatest swordsman of his age dies fighting masked goons in a narrow corridor on the other side of the world :/

Littlefinger's entire plan seems even goofier when he reveals that he knows Stannis is about to march on Winterfell. There's no guarantee that Sansa wouldn't just die during the fighting, to say nothing of the other problems with the plan.

Cersei arming the faith against sinners makes some sense I guess when you realize that she's never actually met any other truly pious individuals that couldn't be bought with her money and influence. She thinks she can just install the High Sparrow as Septon and control that army for herself. It'll be delicious when it all goes horribly wrong.

Moff

Littlefinger's entire plan seems even goofier when he reveals that he knows Stannis is about to march on Winterfell. There's no guarantee that Sansa wouldn't just die during the fighting, to say nothing of the other problems with the plan.

I don't agree, it's probably what made littlefinger do something this risky in the first place.
if stannis got there before she wed ramsey, he could have done with winterfell whatever he pleased, may have installed jon as warden or another lord. but with sansa being there before, already being ramseys widow and heir. he is much less likely to do anything else.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If Mel goes south with Stannis I wonder if his wife will sacrifice Shireen. That look she gave Mel scared me a bit.

Enosh

okay i don't get LF plan
from what I got he kinda thinks stannis will win against the boltons?
why the fuck would he want that? on the long ass list of people stannis wants dead, LF is in at least the top 20

sand snakes were awful, so just like the books!

stannis scene was nice, he is so dead this or next season

the faith going full /pol/ will be interesting

Selmy and greyworm... *sigh* I think enough has been said about this, I'll just say that the unsulied are a product to be sold and thus them being hyped as fuck is more marketing than anything else, so far their biggest accomplishment in lore is holding out against an enemy that knows a total of two tactics, "charge the front" and "charge the front while screaming"

okay i don't get LF plan
why the fuck would he want that? on the long ass list of people stannis wants dead, LF is in at least the top 20
Has show Stannis ever commented on Littlefinger? I can't remember. Show Stannis seems to be more utilitarian than the book version, he may very well be willing to work with Littlefinger if need be.

Moff

okay i don't get LF plan

he wants it because dead boltons will make sansa ruler of the north.
and I don't think stannis necessarily wants littlefiger dead, especially when sansa explains how he rescued her.

okay i don't get LF plan

Well somebody has to win and Stannis looks a lot more likely. LF also has a castle that has never been conquered, so he would feel pretty safe.

Of course when they burn Shireen and he gets fucked up by a stone dragon he'll learn otherwise. But he doesn't know that yet.

Selmy and greyworm... *sigh* I think enough has been said about this, I'll just say that the unsulied are a product to be sold and thus them being hyped as fuck is more marketing than anything else, so far their biggest accomplishment in lore is holding out against an enemy that knows a total of two tactics, "charge the front" and "charge the front while screaming"

I think the show is handling it pretty well. First with the brothel and know them losing to street thugs. It is a lot more interesting than the disintegration in the books... at least a lot more visual.

NeoGiff

This is the cut I was talking about on the previous page. I also saw someone else mentioning it a few pages back.

JhxESuW.gif

Terrible, just terrible.

Antagon

Yeah, that stood out to me as well. Can't remember the last books too well, so I don't know much anymore about the sandsnakes. But this stuff is pretty terrible. Were they the type that would kill a captain that sold them information in the books as well?

This stuff makes them look just as crazy as Ramsey.

This is the cut I was talking about on the previous page. I also saw someone else mentioning it a few pages back.

JhxESuW.gif

Terrible, just terrible.

It really is a poor cut. It's jarring and makes it look like the spear toss is being sped up.

The Sand Snakes were pretty lame in the books, but this introduction is even worse.

Ratrat

Yeah, that stood out to me as well. Can't remember the last books too well, so I don't know much anymore about the sandsnakes. But this stuff is pretty terrible. Were they the type that would kill a captain that sold them information in the books as well?

This stuff makes them look just as crazy as Ramsey.
They wanted to kill Myrcella. I think the line about chopping her up was from Obara. They also wanted to burn Oldtown(?) to the ground.

LordCanti

I don't agree, it's probably what made littlefinger do something this risky in the first place.
if stannis got there before she wed ramsey, he could have done with winterfell whatever he pleased, may have installed jon as warden or another lord. but with sansa being there before, already being ramseys widow and heir. he is much less likely to do anything else.

Sansa is Robb's heir without the Bolton's. Her being Ramsay's widow wouldn't change anything in Stannis's eyes.

Littlefinger's endgame for taking Sansa to Winterfell is still a mystery to me. If the best case scenario happens and Stannis takes back Winterfell and makes the other northern lords bend the knee... then what? How does Littlefinger benefit?

It really is a poor cut. It's jarring and makes it look like the spear toss is being sped up.

The Sand Snakes were pretty lame in the books, but this introduction is even worse.

"No really, we're super dangerous despite how we look. Watch me throw this spear HYAHHHH"

Massa

Sansa is Robb's heir without the Bolton's. Her being Ramsay's widow wouldn't change anything in Stannis's eyes.

Littlefinger's endgame for taking Sansa to Winterfell is still a mystery to me. If the best case scenario happens and Stannis takes back Winterfell and makes the other northern lords bend the knee... then what? How does Littlefinger benefit?

His puppet rules the North.

duckroll

Sansa is a Stark, Stannis will name her Wardeness of the North, Littlefinger has made Sansa attached to him, he control the North from the shadows to whatever future aim he has.

Sansa isn't his endgame, she's just another piece in his larger plan. An important piece though, because the North is vital to stability in the kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom