• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I was thinking that if the northerners knew Sansa was near, they would fight to get the Boltons out of Winterfell to return it to the Starks. Like Littlefinger could rally the men and they would march on Winterfell to kick Roose out. Roose says himself that they don't have the power to hold it without the marriage. The Boltons don't have many friends and Ramsey's flaying hasn't helped. Marrying Sansa gives them legitimacy.

Remember that Littlefinger will do anything to anyone if it improves his position. Sansa's safety is at best a secondary concern to controlling more regions and avenging Catelyn.

Kicked some ass is a joke. I'm glad the guy that said he could cut through five kingsguard knights like a cake actually got to kill a few random nobodies wearing robes before dying to them in his first on screen fight. He might as well not have even been on the show if he was going to be used like that. Characters telling stories about him feels like a waste of screen time now.

There's nothing dumb about the image. Building up a character like that throughout the series and then never delivering is abysmal storytelling. Everyone talks about how great he is, of course viewers are going to want to see him finally do something great. But he never did. This season was suppose to be the pay off. Barristan finally getting his time in the sun was among the best parts of ADWD.

It wouldn't have been such a blow if it was actually choreographed and blocked well. As it went, it stands as one of the series' poorer fights It felt like they just cut in a few shots of Barry killing guys--there was never any great swordwork on display.

Speevy

Banned
There is not a lick of sense behind the marriage other than D&D wanting to use Sansa because they find consolidating power (Vale, Riverlands, North) and securing an alliance between three of the kingdoms is too boring. The wedding benefits the Bolton's not Sansa or Littlefinger.

The more you try and justify it, the more your head hurts. I've just stopped all together. It's a shit change to throw in a few rape scenes with a popular character.

The marriage benefits the Boltons, which is why they agreed to it. Roose Bolton is a smart man who can spot deception, but he doesn't understand that Littlefinger has been playing houses against each other from the beginning.

The whole reason for all these scenes like Ramsay saying the man he flayed would never kiss a traitor's boot and the note Jon received about "I serve no one but the Starks." (paraphrasing) is to establish the northern mentality.

They understand loyalty to a cause, even a lost cause. Roose Bolton gained power because of Tywin Lannister, but Cersei couldn't give a crap about Roose Bolton. She's a selfish, short-sighted character who can only see the Tyrells right now.

Speevy

Banned
It wouldn't have been such a blow if it was actually choreographed and blocked well. As it went, it stands as one of the series' poorer fights It felt like they just cut in a few shots of Barry killing guys--there was never any great swordwork on display.

There's not really any good swordplay in the series at all. Just wild swipes and blocks. It sure is fun to watch though.

Jigorath

Banned
This may seem really dumb, but why wouldn't Littlefinger marry Sansa himself? He's already admitted she's a Stark and consolidating the Stark loyalists with the Erie and Vale would effectively take over the north, wouldn't it? This seems much better than marrying her to the Boltons and hoping that Stannis wins.

That would piss off Stannis, Cersei, and the Tyrells in one fell swoop. Not a good idea to make an enemy out of every major player in the realm.

Speevy

Banned
Another take on the story is that Cersei obviously wanted Sansa for questioning in Joffrey's murder.

If the Boltons were named enemies of the crown for wedding a Stark, that might be another way for Littlefinger to win.

SamVimes

Didn't George R.R. Martin intend for the unsullied to be ineffective at policing Meereen?

That they may have filmed a poor scene is secondary to this point.

That's because all the unsullied are good for is fighting. Some goobers with masks that impede their view in an open fight shouldn't be a worry.

Patriots7

Another take on the story is that Cersei obviously wanted Sansa for questioning in Joffrey's murder.

If the Boltons were named enemies of the crown for wedding a Stark, that might be another way for Littlefinger to win.
That exposes Littlefinger as helping Sansa escape. And I can't believe Cersei would be dumb enough to not begin to suspect he must have had a hand in the death.

We now have to dispel any notion that Sansa is wanted for regicide for this to work.

Speevy

Banned
I want a sun carved into my forehead. If someone asked, I would just laugh and say "Haha you don't watch Game of Thrones, do you? Loser."

I get that Barristan probably had to die early since the batte is cut, and he probably needs to be out of the picture beforeDany heads to Westeros, so I'm not upset that he died, but I am upset they chose the laziest possible way to kill him off. Just write a scene where he dies! No attempt to create a satisfying character arc, no attempt to really develop the character at all, just get rid of him. I'm not sure who ended up being more under developed between him and Mance, but it's sad to see them both cut off so early.

I don't think the Siege of Meereen is cut altogether just because it's not showing up this season.

-griffy-

Banned
I WANT to say there was one or two good fights somewhere in S2-S3. Can't remember, though.

I think Jon Snow's stuff during episode 9 last year was pretty good. Brienne vs. prisoner Jaime on the bridge was decent, but not really a proper fight. Bronn's season one trial by combat was pretty good, but more because of how he avoided actually sword fighting his armored opponent. Oberyn vs. Mountain was showy but not really a sword fight since Oberyn was using the spear and he dominated the choreography. So yeah, for the most part it's just kind of average swordplay, with isolated cool moments outside of actual duels (Brienne's horseback stuff this season, Daario vs. rider last season, etc) Like, Brienne vs Hound is a great fight because seeing the characters go at it is awesome, but the fight doesn't really get good until they both lose their swords and it turns into a nasty brawl. The actual swordplay part of the fight was kind of a mess of quick cuts.

The show actually doesn't have much just straight sword fighting in it. Like, outside of what I mentioned and the latest episode, the only other prominent things that come to mind are Jaime vs Ned and Syrio vs kingsguard in season 1? Blackwater didn't really have anything aside from general battle stuff. Robb vs tree in season 2 I guess? Maybe the few seconds of Hound vs Mountain at the joust in s1.

Barriston's just seemed kind of slow to me, probably because the actor was actually doing a lot of the fighting himself since we were seeing his face?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't read the books but I don't mind spoilers so I have to ask... does Dany unleash he dragons one and for all on these fucks or what? What's the point of being the mother of dragons if you never use what you are known for?

Also do we know that Lady Stoneheart is not going to be on the show, was that stated?

Vyer

And you're ignoring half a dozen posts I'd made prior to that which mentioned nothing of that battle against the Dothraki. I've been pretty consistent throughout. What we saw last night was Grey Worm's unit panic, break formation, react to pain, and just generally fall apart. That isn't consistent with anything we've seen. Books, show: doesn't matter. They might as well have been just any random merc company.

And, if I wasn't clear enough about this before, let me be know. This is my take on all of it: the showrunners needed to build the Harpies up as a foe, and they went the cheapest route, which is to hit us with a "shocking" scene where the "good guys" lose, Barristan is killed, and Grey Worm badly, badly hurt. They're writing to a tentpole, here. They need to get from A to B, so they find a way to write themselves there. And whether because of budget or time constraints, the showrunners basically wound up needing the Unsullied to become something other than what they had been previously established to be in order to make it to their desired tentpole. It's just bad writing/direction.

That may be the case, if the show has established that (the book version is irrelevant), but I'll definitely need to rewatch and see to refresh.

Kicked some ass is a joke. I'm glad the guy that said he could cut through five kingsguard knights like a cake actually got to kill a few random nobodies wearing robes before dying to them in his first on screen fight. He might as well not have even been on the show if he was going to be used like that. Characters telling stories about him feels like a waste of screen time now.

There's nothing dumb about the image. Building up a character like that throughout the series and then never delivering is abysmal storytelling. Everyone talks about how great he is, of course viewers are going to want to see him finally do something great. But he never did. This season was suppose to be the pay off. Barristan finally getting his time in the sun was among the best parts of ADWD.

Nah, it's dumb. That's not really much buildup and most of it seems in the past tense. That Selmy could best Cersei's chumps isn't a big deal. And why is this season 'supposed' to be the payoff? Because that's what you read in the books?

I didn't read the books but I don't mind spoilers so I have to ask... does Dany unleash he dragons one and for all on these fucks or what? What's the point of being the mother of dragons if you never use what you are known for?

Also do we know that Lady Stoneheart is not going to be on the show, was that stated?

No, she has absolutely no control over her two dragons. Except Drogon

LSH is as dead as a dodo

Speevy

Banned

We're about caught up with the books, and Dany has not barbecued villages or armies ye. Lady Stoneheart is out.

eot

Banned

The dragons don't stay in the basement forever, let's just say that.
It's GoT though.

I think Jon Snow's stuff during episode 9 last year was pretty good. Brienne vs. prisoner Jaime on the bridge was decent, but not really a proper fight. Bronn's season one trial by combat was pretty good, but more because of how he avoided actually sword fighting his armored opponent. Oberyn vs. Mountain was showy but not really a sword fight since Oberyn was using the spear and he dominated the choreography. So yeah, for the most part it's just kind of average swordplay, with isolated cool moments outside of actual duels (Brienne's horseback stuff this season, Daario vs. rider last season, etc) Like, Brienne vs Hound is a great fight because seeing the characters go at it is awesome, but the fight doesn't really get good until they both lose their swords and it turns into a nasty brawl. The actual swordplay part of the fight was kind of a mess of quick cuts.

The show actually doesn't have much just straight sword fighting in it. Like, outside of what I mentioned, the only other prominent things that come to mind are Jaime vs Ned and Syrio vs kingsguard in season 1? Blackwater didn't really have anything aside from general battle stuff. Robb vs tree in season 2 I guess? Maybe the few seconds of Hound vs Mountain at the joust in s1.

Barriston's just seemed kind of slow to me, probably because the actor was actually doing a lot of the fighting himself since we were seeing his face?

Man. Seems like it was just yesterday that the Season 2 trailer was released, which showed some cinematic shots of sword fights. Everyone in the thread going "oh cool, looks like we're going to get much better sword fights now!"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That sucks on both accounts. Seems they keep moving further and further away from anything supernatural :/

Jigorath

Banned
Jaime vs Ned (despite how stupid it was for them to be evenly matched) is probably still the best sword fight in the series.

-griffy-

Banned
Man. Seems like it was just yesterday that the Season 2 trailer was released, which showed some cinematic shots of sword fights. Everyone in the thread going "oh cool, looks like we're going to get much better sword fights now!"

I have some hope for Hardhome. And actually, based on trailers,
Jorah in the fighting pits

hoos30

Welcome to our world, brother.

That's because all the unsullied are good for is fighting. Some goobers with masks that impede their view in an open fight shouldn't be a worry.

My GF said the unsullied have become soft since coming under home girls rule. She said remember they cut a nipple off and the guy didn't flinch, now they scream when they get stabbed, they visit brothels to get cuddled.

They are soft now.

Mxrz

I didn't think the last two books were all that great, so I'm more inclined to be forgiving to the show. So much of the books were devoted to stuff that just didn't go anywhere. Imagine a season with the Iron isles, Aegon, and Quentyn taking up the majority of the screen time, only for nothing to come of it. Ick.

I'd guess that's the problem with Cersei in Kings Landing. A big part of her going crazy was all the minor characters and plots she was getting involved in. Those are missing, but she & Kings Landing are just too big to leave out for a season.

I'd thought Dorne was going to be the big thing this season. But so far its been pretty tame. I liked the theory that Doran Martell was pulling all the strings, but they've hardly touched him.

Violater

Right now the way I feel about any book material/characters cut from the series were just filler in the books and their story lines were going nowhere; Case in point Quentyn.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
My GF said the unsullied have become soft since coming under home girls rule. She said remember they cut a nipple off and the guy didn't flinch, now they scream when they get stabbed, they visit brothels to get cuddled.

They are soft now.

Those cookie cutter mother fuckers, they're just like the rest of these dudes safe moist as dudes.

That random whore in Meereen that's helping the Sons of the Harpy is steadily climbing the ranks of people I want to see get Arakh'd. She's bad news.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Right now the way I feel about any book material/characters cut from the series were just filler in the books and their story lines were going nowhere; Case in point Quentyn.

Realistically though nearly any book is filled with filler, as there are usually a few core characters surrounded by a living world full of more characters. This is no different.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Jaime vs Ned (despite how stupid it was for them to be evenly matched) is probably still the best sword fight in the series.

Why is that stupid? We don't really know Ned's skill level because he isn't some prancing tourney knight but clearly he must be pretty good since he fought in the Rebellion and survived and went up against three Kingsguards knights.

Kain

Why is that stupid? We don't really know Ned's skill level because he isn't some prancing tourney knight but clearly he must be pretty good since he fought in the Rebellion and survived and went up against three Kingsguards knights.

Everyone knows Reed did most of the work while the other five sucked.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Everyone knows Reed did most of the work while the other five sucked.

Man, Howland and Brynden are just chilling in Greywater sipping on some bog juice while Howland keeps asking "Have I ever told you about that time I wrecked 3 Kingsguard members? Nah man, Ned didn't do shit. IT WAS ALLLLLL ME."

I really would find it funny if we never get to meet Howland, he's the most intriguing character in the story for me.

And do not give me that HR = HS bullshit. NO. NO.

lmao, amazing post from the book thread:

AvVcENQ.jpg

Jigorath

Banned

According to Martin, Ned is a competent swordsman. Jaime on the other hand is one of the best who ever lived. Jaime should have torn Ned apart. The only people who can stand up to Jaime are Barristan and maybe the Cleganes.

What is with you guys and these giant ass tumblr posts?

Violater

Realistically though nearly any book is filled with filler, as there are usually a few core characters surrounded by a living world full of more characters. This is no different.

Except after reading the books you expect the story line to open up, I mean what was the point of Young Griff/Aegon ?
It's just a little annoying tbh, GRRM writing schedule doesn't make it any better either.
I guess that is my main gripe, the damn story from the books being overwritten to a large extent.

Real Hero

Karl Tanner from gin alley was designed as filler much more so than somebody like Quentyn.

It's also not beyond the realm of possibility that Aegon's just been bumped to season 6, you guys. Obviously there are some pretty massive changes happening with Varys/Tyrion stuff this season, but I still believe he's going to have to play a reasonably significant role in Westerosi politics especially once Stannis and Tommen inevitably kick the bucket.

SamVimes

What the fuck does filler even mean. Not everything has to advance the story to be good, it looks like some of you only ever read fantasy novels in their lives.

Violater

It's also not beyond the realm of possibility that Aegon's just been bumped to season 6, you guys. Obviously there are some pretty massive changes happening with Varys/Tyrion stuff this season, but I still believe he's going to have to play a reasonably significant role in Westerosi politics especially once Stannis and Tommen inevitably kick the bucket.

Well I guess his introduction to the series would be just as jarring as it was in the books.
Though I only slightly cared about his character because of Tyrion's involvement.
Just another self entitled Targ, at least Daney went through a lot of trials, even though her character sometimes forgets.

Well I guess his introduction to the series would be just as jarring as it was in the books.
Though I only slightly cared about his character because of Tyrion's involvement.
Just another self entitled Targ, at least Daney went through a lot of trials, even though her character sometimes forgets.

Varys as an actual Targaryen supporter instead of as a Blackfyre supporter is a weird change from where the books seem to be, but it's also pretty key that we don't really know what book-Varys's position on Dany is outside of the fact that he did have Jorah foil the never-intended-to-succeed assassination plot in AGOT.

The idea that she's supposed to be a big noisy distraction from Aegon is kind of funny because the people in King's Landing (books and show) are generally too myopic to even remember to pay attention to Daenarys in the first place, lol.

But yeah, I could see Aegon still showing up in Season 6 of the show - it's not like he starts genuinely mattering to the plot before he actually starts invading Westeros, which is tail-end-of-ADWD material.

Brakke

Banned
Bringing up Karl Tan-Fookin'-ner of Gin Fookin' Alley should be so tired by now but I still legitimately laugh every time it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom