• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Theory time:

Maester Aemon is sick

We are getting a ton of R+L=J exposition

We know John is going to try and leave the Watch, probably getting stabbed by Thorne / Olly.

The Pink letter is a questions mark, Ramsey doesn't know Jon, why would he write to him regarding his sister / stannis?

My theory is that that somehow Aemon knows about Jon, on his death bed he will tell him "you are of my blood" or something. Not sure how this would motivate him to leave, Stannis would want him dead at a guess (Targs still hold that name) especially if R&J were married.

I just hope we get the flashback.

Theory time:

Maester Aemon is sick

We are getting a ton of R+L=J exposition

We know John is going to try and leave the Watch, probably getting stabbed by Thorne / Olly.

The Pink letter is a questions mark, Ramsey doesn't know Jon, why would he write to him regarding his sister / stannis?

My theory is that that somehow Aemon knows about Jon, on his death bed he will tell him "you are of my blood" or something. Not sure how this would motivate him to leave, Stannis would want him dead at a guess (Targs still hold that name) especially if R&J were married.

I just hope we get the flashback.

It's not going to be spelled out that clearly.

And yea, I also think that the Pink Letter is out.

SteveWD40

It's not going to be spelled out that clearly.

And yea, I also think that the Pink Letter is out.

I just had a feeling about the Maester being ill leading to something, he always liked Jon etc...

They don't have time to build up Ramsay / Jon for the letter, even Roose doesn't know Jon Snow at a guess.

duckroll

If they ever do a Tower of Joy flashback I hope they go all out and get Brad Pitt for Rhaegar and Nicole Kidman for Lyanna.

duckroll

In a perfect world Nicole Kidman would have played Cersei.

It would work, but she would be unlikely to commit to a long term TV project like this. I'm sure she wouldn't mind doing a cameo where they use CG and make-up to deage her back to a teenager though!

One thing that's got me wondering is how does Cersei's misguided maneouvering even work with how old Tommen is? He's big enough not to need a regent.

One thing that's got me wondering is how does Cersei's misguided maneouvering even work with how old Tommen is? He's big enough not to need a regent.

Even Joffrey had a regent. Besides, his age doesn't really change Cersei's motivation, which is the fear of the younger and more beautiful queen and her family's influence.

Nodnol

Regarding a potential flashback, apart from trippy visions, was the season opener with young Cersei the first one they've done? I can't recall anything else, and it caught me off guard a little bit.

If Bran's story was present in this season, maybe they could have had Howland Reed turn up somewhere. Book or Show, he's the only living person to have been there with Ned. Other than that, I'm curious as to who could tell Jon. With Mel doing a party trick with "you know nothing Jon Snow", maybe he will just see it in the flames.

Anyone know if Sean Bean has been spotted anywhere? :-D

If they ever do a Tower of Joy flashback I hope they go all out and get Brad Pitt for Rhaegar and Nicole Kidman for Lyanna.

KOLXsGV.gif

bengraven

Eh, I don't see any reason there couldn't be a connection. If they want to say that greyscale first surfaced right after the Doom or something like that, I'm ok with it.

Maybe I'm fanboying I suppose...or canon-whoring over the smallest details. part of me is like "When this is debated years from now on the origins of grayscale, will we use the tv show in our debates or go by only George's written accounts?"

Nerding.

Wait, Selmy is dead? What in the cottonpicking fuck?

I had this spoiled about two weeks ago for me. But the person was like "I'm not sure if he's dead, but he looks dead..." and I just assumed he wasn't...fake out.

I wondered about that too... I figured they would need Selmy to vouch for Tyrion. But then I had another idea... It's the dragons that are going to vouch for Tyrion. But that's getting into some other unproven theories.

I'm wondering about the vouching. I think Barristan would have been much more skeptical of Tyrion, just as he was with Jorah. If he lives to see Tyrion in the books, I think he'll be even harder on him. He wants his Kelly C surrounded by capable people and he won't trust news from overseas, especially out of the Imp's mouth. Though if he's a secret Targ, then I suppose Barry would be the one who knew. :p

I've talked about this before, but Tyrion is going to have to prove quite a bit to Dan. I'm guessing it hinges on his knowledge of dragons - remember that he's read books on them, while Dani has had to play by ear.

I still think we're going to see a scene like him in prison and Dany tells him she's going to make him rot in there until he tells her the truth...or she'll have her boys roast him alive.

And Tyrion will be like "boys? the pale one is a female. and btw, she's pregnant...".

Instant dragon handler.

In a perfect world Nicole Kidman would have played Cersei.

Not sure if you know this, but that's actually who Martin had in mind for her. When he was writing her, he thought of Kidman perhaps.

I don't think he was dead on that slab. AFAIK he didn't have "eye rocks", and it was probably just meant to excite viewers.

I doubt that.

I mean, even in the episode they set up one of the Harpy's trying to slit his throat as a kill shot and had Grey Worm save him from that. That's pretty fucking redundant if he's just gonna roll over and die anyways.

Barry's fine. Well not fine, but not dead.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones

People are still ignoring this, I see.

bengraven

I wonder if the UK editor was so upset about Barry because she knows and we don't that he has an even bigger part to play in Winds.

The more I think about it, the more I like the way Selmy was killed off.
GoT is all about subverting the watcher's expectations by not adhering to your typical tropes, such as the bad ass warrior meeting death in an epic fashion.

Here, we instead get the old dude who used to be a bad ass warrior dying in an alley to some no-names - and no one saw it coming!

It is absolutely genius imho, and it's keeping the show fresh and full of surprises even if you're a book reader.

I just had a feeling about the Maester being ill leading to something, he always liked Jon etc...

They don't have time to build up Ramsay / Jon for the letter, even Roose doesn't know Jon Snow at a guess.

No, both Roose and Ramsay know about him. Reek told them last season, remember when he sent Locke to go find Bran and Rickon?

The more I think about it, the more I like the way Selmy was killed off.
GoT is all about subverting the watcher's expectations by not adhering to your typical tropes, such as the bad ass warrior meeting death in an epic fashion.

Here, we instead get the old dude who used to be a bad ass warrior dying in an alley to some no-names - and no one saw it coming!

It is absolutely genius imho, and it's keeping the show fresh and full of surprises even if you're a book reader.

You have a point here, but while GRRM always writes in this "death can be around every corner" mantra that most characters follow, the major named characters typically get major named deaths. From Book 1 all of the intelligent characters talk about how they can be killed off at any moment by any roving rambler in the wilds or by any soldier in battle that doesn't actually happen to any significant characters (that I can remember).

To me it doesn't introduce an 'anything can happen' feeling, but a 'what you're telling us about characters isn't consistent' attitude. I care less about the Unsullied going down than Selmy because throughout the books and the shows he's considered an aged but incredible knight still capable of cutting down some of the nimblest of men... Which is one of the main reasons he's so valuable and respected by other characters in the story. When his first bit of combat on air is him being cut apart by mostly nobodies in an alley, it cheapens that.

You have a point here, but while GRRM always writes in this "death can be around every corner" mantra that most characters follow, the major named characters typically get major named deaths. From Book 1 all of the intelligent characters talk about how they can be killed off at any moment by any roving rambler in the wilds or by any soldier in battle that doesn't actually happen to any significant characters (that I can remember).

To me it doesn't introduce an 'anything can happen' feeling, but a 'what you're telling us about characters isn't consistent' attitude. I care less about the Unsullied going down than Selmy because throughout the books and the shows he's considered an aged but incredible knight still capable of cutting down some of the nimblest of men... Which is one of the main reasons he's so valuable and respected by other characters in the story. When his first bit of combat on air is him being cut apart by mostly nobodies in an alley, it cheapens that.

Exactly!

Because of that, there's no longer any suspense, as you know that Jaime and Bronn won't die on that beach to some no-name soldiers. With the death of Selmy though, we no longer have that "rule" to guide our expectations in any upcoming scene - anything can now absolutely happen.

Tyrion could get shanked by a thief.
Jaime could fall off his horse and break his neck.
Stannis could die from a heart attack.

The way I view it, GRRM has created a new trope ("anyone can die, but major characters will die in spectacular ways"), and the show runners are now subverting it.

I know he's dead but I'm curious whether he'll live long enough to speak with Dany one last time. Probably not given the title of the episode suggests Aemon will die, and he'll presumably tell Jon something on his deathbed. They won't do that twice in one episode.

Given that Stannis' sword has been completely forgotten on the show since S2E1 I wonder if Aemon will give Jon something else (instead of the Jade Conpendium).

SamVimes

I don't think you can spin killing of Selmy as genius or exciting.

But what if just before he died a witch shows up, turns him into a frog and he has to live the rest of his days as an amphibian? Maybe santa shows up at some point. Totally unexpected, genius!

Given the Jon's parentage will likely become a story point soon (they have been teasing it) do they bring in Howland Reed or have it be a vision in the fire? They never bothered mentioning Howland was with Ned but there COULD still be a flashback.

At this point I wonder if it's something that's revealed to Jon himself or just the audience. Unless he ends up being in line to rule Westeros for some reason, there not much of a reason for him to know.

Kuraudo

Banned
All that fight needed was Barristan taking out a troll and maybe two or three oliphaunts and I'd be okay with his death. As long as after that he just lowered his sword and allowed a harpy to strike him down, with his empty clothes crumpling to the ground Obi Wan style.

Moff

Given the Jon's parentage will likely become a story point soon (they have been teasing it) do they bring in Howland Reed or have it be a vision in the fire? They never bothered mentioning Howland was with Ned but there COULD still be a flashback.

At this point I wonder if it's something that's revealed to Jon himself or just the audience. Unless he ends up being in line to rule Westeros for some reason, there not much of a reason for him to know.

in the show, the tower of joy will be 5 kingsguards against ned and mace tyrell. mace will find arya in braavos and tell her everything.

I'm moreso annoyed at Barristan's death than feeling it couldn't happen. A single swordsman against multiple enemies...fine. Nevermind that Barristan walking around with no armor makes no sense. Overall though fine, no problem.

But the Unsullied getting decimated by dudes with knives in a tight area is just bad writing. No discipline, no nothing. Plot demanded they die so they did.

Kain

Revealing Jon's parentage this season coul be kind of a clusterfuck, he will have his hands full with the Boltons and Hardhome and stuff. I think it's one of those things that work better at the beginning of the season, next one to be precise.

I think you could make a case for the logistics of Selmy's death, but don't act like him getting stabbed by random mooks in robes after 4+ seasons of hyping up his talents was anything but anticlimatic.

I do agree that it is something fitting in this narrative universe that a legendary knight dies in some back alley at the edge of the world.

Subverting the genre trope of heroic warriors and heroes getting heroic and glorious deaths is something that George instilled in his books from the beginning.

That said, I still don't like Barry's death, but after thinking about it for the day and half since it aired, it might just be because as an audience member, a character I liked was denied the glory that I wanted for him.

I do agree that it is something fitting in this narrative universe that a legendary knight dies in some back alley at the edge of the world.

Subverting the genre trope of heroic warriors and heroes getting heroic and glorious deaths is something that George instilled in his books from the beginning.

Usually when the show/books subvert fantasy tropes, they manage to do it in a shocking or cruelly ironic way. This was just a flat "oh, I guess he's dead now".

SteveWD40

Jumping back a little, I am perturbed by Bronn discussing how he want's to die, I have a feeling he won't make it passed the next episode, which makes me sad as he has been a high-point since S1.

Jamie lives imho.

NeoGiff

He should have just torn off that sweaty leather sack on his belly and waded in shirtless.

Ramsay did that and survived against twenty of the best killas of the Iron Islands!

Kain

The Iron islanders are the comic relief of the show

and the books to be honest, they often come as goofy where they should come as terrifying.

Usually when the show/books subvert fantasy tropes, they manage to do it in a shocking or cruelly ironic way. This was just a flat "oh, I guess he's dead now".
Yeah I'm not saying I loved the execution, just that I understand the perspective.

I assume from a plot perspective, they want him out of the way for Dany to make some questionable decisions without Barristan's wise council. And for Tyrion of course, which I'm very curious about how Tyrion will manage to convince Dany he'll be of service to her (in both show and book).
Just when I thought I had wiped that scene from my memory.
Neogriff remembers...and makes you remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom