• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my reasons for feeling this.

Seeing his death will make her more resolved to take drastic action. Given how this show loves to show only the highlights of book events, I can see her marrying Hizdahr and opening the fighting pits as a way to show compromise.

This will lead to any number of possible outcomes in this season or the next, including a an overwhelming force of Slaver's Bay armies outside her door, flying away on Drogon, etc.

What's important it not what happens, but that it leads Danyt to questioning her own ideals and whether she really trusts her own sense of justice anymore. She can either resolve to give up on her hopes to take the iron throne, or turn to the very tactics that made the cruel conquerors she decried so successful. Having her choose the latter would make for an interesting shift to say the least, since it would .likely make Tyrion and Varys change their minds about her.

Haven't we heard from somewhere (I can't even remember where) that the siege/battle of Mereen has been cut?

The discussion about R+L=J in the Unsullied thread is quite interesting. I was worried that they were slow playing Jon's parentage too much and that the significance of the Rhaegar exposition they included this week would be lost on non-book readers, given how far removed we are from season 1. Glad to see I was wrong. However, the discussion does illustrate one important point: the show desperately needs to do the Tower of Joy.

It's also clear a lot of people have heard the theory before, either from book readers or online. There's an R+L=J video on youtube with more than 2 million views...I think people have spoiled themselves, and now can't help but spoil others lol. And I also think there are some covert book readers in that thread.

That being said I also believe many people have genuinely put 1 and 1 together. I agree a Tower Of Joy flashback would be helpful, or at least some information on it. I'm surprised the Reed kids didn't mention it on the show.

Real Hero

They are going to need to end her Meereen story somehow. In the books you have Tyrion, Barristen, Deaneyrs, Victarion, Jorah and basically all Deaneyrs's enemies she has gotten through all her chapters in one climatic battle. Throw in that Dothraki horde if she gains control of it. Now the show could never do something so huge obviously but its going to need a climax bigger than ' i guess this place sucks lets go to westeros'.

Chaos17

I liked Barristan, he seemed the only one who was really teaching Daenerys some politics while other beleived in her judgement blindly (hellooow she is an inexperimenced child!).

Some part of me wanted Daenrys to burn the city because the people are unable to live in peace now they've been freed (ok, I understand why they're still angry but attacking their savior is WRONG).

Haven't we heard from somewhere (I can't even remember where) that the siege/battle of Mereen has been cut?

I'd imagine it'll be next season. Daznak's Pit seems like the big episode 9 moment this year. I'd imagine ep 10 will end with Dany burning the shit out of whoever finds her in the wilderness.

So I guess Jorah and Tyrion will replace Barristan. Jorah leading the army, Tyrion ruling the city with Missandei.

NeoGiff

I thought it was pretty clear that the implication in the Small Council scene was that Mace was being sent to sort shit out with the Iron Bank... and not return.

I thought Barristan's death was meant to show the futility of his ideals in the face of this new enemy.

Barristan brought wisdom governed by decades in service to the kings of Westeros, but none of his best intentions applied in Meereen. She told him to patrol the streets and keep her safe like he had done a million times before for other nobles, but it turned out to be his undoing.

Every major character death in the books/show follows the pattern of deconstructed ideal or vice.

Ned died for honor, Robb for love and honor, Catelyn for devotion, Joffrey for cruelty, Tywin for legacy, Renly for lusting after power, Oberyn for single-minded revenge, Viserys for ambition, Robert for drunkenness and pride, Ygritte for love, and the list goes on.

Every character is given a scenario where their best intentions are challenged. Their very nature is put to the test, and their response to that test determines whether they'll succeed.

There are thousands of pages, but it really boils down to a simple formula. Can a major character overcome their failing before someone or something kills them?

0052_lX938qf9-momentos-simpsons-4post-n-10-Simpsons-Momentos.jpg

J/K, great post.

Massa

I thought it was pretty clear that the implication in the Small Council scene was that Mace was being sent to sort shit out with the Iron Bank... and not return.

Let's hope Ser Meryn Trant was planning to deal with him on the way back from Braavos.

eot

Banned
It's also clear a lot of people have heard the theory before, either from book readers or online. There's an R+L=J video on youtube with more than 2 million views...I think people have spoiled themselves, and now can't help but spoil others lol. And I also think there are some covert book readers in that thread.

That being said I also believe many people have genuinely put 1 and 1 together. I agree a Tower Of Joy flashback would be helpful, or at least some information on it. I'm surprised the Reed kids didn't mention it on the show.

In some ways I think it might be easier for show watchers to figure it out. The show has less time for minor details, so you know that anything they include is potentially important. When you read the books it's easy to accidentally pay less attention to something that's actually important. The format of the show (being weekly) also lends itself to speculation. Obviously if you read AGoT when it first came out you had plenty of time to analyse it, but I read most of the books in one go and I didn't exactly put them down every three chapters and speculate on stuff. There's no need, if you want to know what happens just keep reading.

-griffy-

Banned
In some ways I think it might be easier for show watchers to figure it out. The show has less time for minor details, so you know that anything they include is potentially important. When you read the books it's easy to accidentally pay less attention to something that's actually important. The format of the show (beeing weekly) also lends itself to speculation. Obviously if you read AGoT when it first came out you had plenty of time to analyse it, but I read most of the books in one go and I didn't exactly put them down every three chapters and speculate on stuff. There's no need, if you want to know what happens just keep reading.

I didn't pick up on R+L=J at all on my first read through. Not until reading stuff on line did I come across it. That was just flavor text/backstory filling out the world to me, I didn't really pay it too much mind. But the show is a different beast.

It's also why they've not covered some of the prophecies/visions we saw in the books I imagine (Dany's stuff foreshadowing the Red Wedding, for example), as it would just be too obvious and on the nose. Entirely different when it's one element of many in a flurry of visions in a giant book vs. one prominent scene in a 10 hour season.

I didn't get that, why would he not return?

Because Meryn Trant is a sonofabitch who is loyal to Cersei. I'm not sure the plans are actually for Trant to "protect" Mace on the trip so much as they are to "dispose of Mace in a way that looks like an accident."

Moff

the only thing I thought in that scene was a setup for arya to kill trant, but I guess you're right. arya will probably save mace.

Brakke

Banned
Or it could all be an act just like Pycelle, at least I hope so.

I haven't been happy with Pycelle in a long time. Way back when he had that limbering-up-after-bonin' scene I was thrilled with him. But he hasn't done anything at all sneaky or sharp or interesting since then. Just going through the Old Maester Motions, boringly.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe Arya will faceless man Meryn Trant or Mace and infiltrate King's Landing.

Does it have to be someone your own size or can you become anyone who's dead or what?

Does it have to be someone your own size or can you become anyone who's dead or what?

I'm thinking they can just change the face. It would be incredibly awesome if Arya went back to King's Landing with her body and Mace's face.

gutshot

Oh yeah, there are definitely people in that thread who knew about R+L=J beforehand and now have an opportunity to share their "revelation". But plenty more had no clue prior to this episode and seeing them go back and piece together the clues is fun to watch. Just wish that a Tower of Joy flashback was one of those clues as it really brings the whole theory together.

As griffy noted, putting it in the show now is going to be a dead giveaway, but they almost have no choice now. Not sure how they could fit it in though and have it be organic, since the only one who could remember it is Howland Reed and I highly doubt he will ever appear on screen. Maybe it could be shown in a vision to Melisandre? I suppose some exposition about it could work too, but it would be a shame not to get to see it on screen given how cinematic it is. Plus it'd be an opportunity to bring back Sean Bean.

I carefully rewatched that Jaime scene where he fights the dornish one on one. In 45 seconds, I counted 40 cuts during the sequence.

It was truly mindboggling, there wasn't one angle there that lasted more than 3 seconds

Oh yeah, there are definitely people in that thread who knew about R+L=J beforehand and now have an opportunity to share their "revelation". But plenty more had no clue prior to this episode and seeing them go back and piece together the clues is fun to watch. Just wish that a Tower of Joy flashback was one of those clues as it really brings the whole theory together.

As griffy noted, putting it in the show now is going to be a dead giveaway, but they almost have no choice now. Not sure how they could fit it in though and have it be organic, since the only one who could remember it is Howland Reed and I highly doubt he will ever appear on screen. Maybe it could be shown in a vision to Melisandre? I suppose some exposition about it could work too, but it would be a shame not to get to see it on screen given how cinematic it is. Plus it'd be an opportunity to bring back Sean Bean.

If they want to show it, like you said it'll probably be a Melisandre vision, or if they wait until next season it could be shown through Bran.

I think it could be a straight flash-back if they open the season with it. If you just open on Sean Bean riding with his posse, people would pick it up. Someone here mentioned you could have that scene and then cut to Jon opening his eyes and it's as clear as it gets.

Before finding out Bran wouldn't be in this season I thought they'd do it by showing his vision from ADWD. IE the one with Ned praying that Robb and Jon would grow up "as close as brothers." That would be another big hint and allow them to bring back a beloved character/actor.

Whereas a Tower Of Joy scene would require a bunch of new names/actors/set/etc.

thefro

In some ways I think it might be easier for show watchers to figure it out. The show has less time for minor details, so you know that anything they include is potentially important. When you read the books it's easy to accidentally pay less attention to something that's actually important. The format of the show (being weekly) also lends itself to speculation. Obviously if you read AGoT when it first came out you had plenty of time to analyse it, but I read most of the books in one go and I didn't exactly put them down every three chapters and speculate on stuff. There's no need, if you want to know what happens just keep reading.

Yeah, the fact that it was on "Previously On Game of Thrones" before the episode, plus the 2 different scenes talking about it make it clear that Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark are important, anyway.

It'd make more sense and be easier to hide in Season 1 since it was motivation for the previous war and relates to Ned/Robert (they did mention it a little bit in Season 1, but not in any detail), but now there's not a clear connection to the current situation.

eot

Banned

It's gonna be Meryn Trant, it was one of the few names Arya kept saying to herself outside the house of B&W.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not sure if you know this, but that's actually who Martin had in mind for her. When he was writing her, he thought of Kidman perhaps.

Is there a list of the actors he had in mind for the various characters? I know he has also mentioned the actress he had in mind for Arianne (though I don't remember who it was), so there must be more than just those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom