• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Announcement by GRRM next month:

I have decided to split Winds of Winter into two books. The first book, which is releasing in 2017, will not include the following areas of Westeros: The North, South, East or West. None of the characters from Westeros will be in this book. Dany, and Tyrion are not in this book. This book will have entirely new characters from a brand new continent! There will be no closure to any cliffhangers, but you will learn why "Words are Wind."

Surely were this to happen it would have been a year or two ago. Because he's "almost done", right?

*manic laughter*

bengraven

If Cersei was the last Lannister and being tossed into a volcano, Pycelle would be joining her.

"...like...I served...your faaaaaatheeerrrrr..." Tss.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have figured it out on my own if it weren't for the interwebs, personally...

Out of 10 friends who watch the show with me and haven't read the books, only 1 raised the question after Sunday's episode.

They're not making it obvious - it's just our hindsight. I'd even be willing to bet that stealth book readers are the ones who first raised that point in the Unsullied thread :p

(I first thought of it during Ned's last chapter in AGoT, and was actually thinking that the question would be answered before the end of that book, haha.)

Lol guys they're not going to let precious little Sansa be molested by dogs or by Theon. HBO wouldn't allow that. Sansa will have all the power in that relationship because its on tv.

HBO will allow whatever gets them money.

Hmm maybe I'm less sure about this than I was. Do you think a large majority of viewers would be turned off the show if what happened to Jeyne happened to Sansa? Would that produce a level of outrage that negatively affects the show?

I always thought I'd read another ASoIaF book in college, how wrong I was.

I first started reading Asoiaf books in 2003, about to enter my sophomore year of college, on the recommendation of a friend who had started reading in the 90s and eagerly awaited Feast. Definitely plenty have waited longer than me for sure... But... Jus thinking that in 2003 after GRRM had release 3 enormous books in 7 or 8 years, that we'd have just 2 more at least 12 years later, seemed unbelievable.

In that time... Jesus. I went from 19 to 31, with a house and family.

Iksenpets

Banned
Hmm maybe I'm less sure about this than I was. Do you think a large majority of viewers would be turned off the show if what happened to Jeyne happened to Sansa? Would that produce a level of outrage that negatively affects the show?

My read on D&D is that the "warm her up, Reek" scene is pretty much right on the line for what they would consider awesomely shocking versus too much. I could see them doing it, but I don't think it's guaranteed. No one is fucking any dogs though.

Violater

North hate the Boltons and love the Starks. If Sansa let word spread of Ramsay torturing her, there would be repercussions in a logical narrative.

I don't really expect internal logic from the show, however.

Who would Sansa spread the word to?
Who in the north would be there to organize and save her?
Sansa needs to either save herself or be doomed once and for all.

My read on D&D is that the "warm her up, Reek" scene is pretty much right on the line for what they would consider awesomely shocking versus too much. I could see them doing it, but I don't think it's guaranteed. No one is fucking any dogs though.

Horrifying, kinda forgot about that small bit at the end. It seems more likely now that they're going to do something terrible to Sansa.

After rewatching the latest episode I'm pretty bummed at how inevitable they're making the whole "we're gonna burn Shireen" thing. It's possible, as some have said, that Sam/Gilly are going to save her but I'm not confident enough about that

Would they actually be willing to do that on the show though? I guess the child crucifixion was probably the worst thing the show has done but burning a child alive... that's something else. Even though her burning wouldn't surprise me I have to imagine there was a reason for the Shireen/Gilly/Sam scene. Them escaping would also give them a reason to be away from the Wall when Jon gets betrayed.

If they are just switching fArya with Sansa I could see Theon helping her escape shortly before/during the presumed "awful" scene that is going to happen. I just want them to do Theon justice ;_;

e: Assuming Sansa is the victim of course, but I guess it's more likely whatever happens will happen to Myranda.

Patriots7

Who would Sansa spread the word to?
Who in the north would be there to organize and save her?
Sansa needs to either save herself or be doomed once and for all.
My roommate doesn't think there are more northern houses because they all died in the Red Wedding.

Haha, so much for not Having to introducing more characters.

Preview:
I'm happy the sorrows are in.

Or maybe Tyrion and Jorah
will pass through VALYRIA(because of what Stannis said in that Shireen scene)

Massa

Which is my biggest problem with the change to her story. I don't mind changing her storyline, but we don't need a retread of Joffrey.

Your biggest problem with it... is something that hasn't happened at all? Show must be doing alright then.

-griffy-

Banned
Maybe Sansa will be forced to participate in the killing of Myranda.
This is what I've been speculating, that the "traumatic" scene isn't Ramsay doing something to Sansa but forcing Sansa to do something to Myranda. They've already seeded jealousy there with her watching Ramsay greet Sansa. So she goes after Sansa, and Ramsay decides to torture her since no harm can come to Sansa and he's actually getting smitten. And he decides to make Sansa participate to bond with her or something, like he thinks it's a great first date activity, and she has to go along with it because she's trying to get in his good graces and manipulate him eventually.

Another connection

Season 5 Episode 4:
S: And what if you’re wrong, what is Stannis never attacks Winterfell, or what if he does and the Boltons defeat him?
L: Then you will take this Bolton boy, Ramsey, and make him yours.
S: I don’t know how to do that.
L: Of course you do. He’s already fallen for you.
S: His father frightens me.
L: He should, he’s a dangerous man. But even the most dangerous men can be outmaneuvered, and you’ve learned to maneuver from the very best. I return before too long. You’ll be strong without me.
L: The North will be yours. Do you believe me?
S: I expect I’ll be a married woman by the time you return.
L: ;)

Alayne Sample Chapter:
Petyr put his arm around her. “So he is, but he is Robert’s heir as well. Bringing Harry here was the first step in our plan, but now we need to keep him, and only you can do that. He has a weakness for a pretty face, and whose face is prettier than yours? Charm him. Entrance him. Bewitch him.”
“I don’t know how,” she said miserably.
“Oh, I think you do,” said Littlefinger, with one of those smiles that did not reach his eyes. “You will be the most beautiful woman in the hall tonight, as lovely as your lady mother at your age.

SteveWD40

This is what I've been speculating, that the "traumatic" scene isn't Ramsay doing something to Sansa but forcing Sansa to do something to Myranda. They've already seeded jealousy there with her watching Ramsay greet Sansa. So she goes after Sansa, and Ramsay decides to torture her since no harm can come to Sansa and he's actually getting smitten. And he decides to make Sansa participate to bond with her or something, like he thinks it's a great first date activity, and she has to go along with it because she's trying to get in his good graces and manipulate him eventually.

I am in the same boat, Ramsay is under strict instructions to treat her well, Roose said they are looking to build unions through marriage to prevent the Northern Lords rising up against them, mistreating Sansa (and it would get out, through the serving staff) would guarantee that they would.

Ramsay has her help him kill Myranda, or watch her flayed etc...

Monocle

Wow, so Barristan actually died in that one scene? That was poorly handled to say the least. What's the point of Grey Worm saving him from having his throat cut if he was going to just crumple over and die anyway? Strange direction.

eot

Banned
Preview:
I'm happy the sorrows are in.

Or maybe Tyrion and Jorah
will pass through VALYRIA(because of what Stannis said in that Shireen scene)

I think you see what looks like one of the stone men in the preview.
Doesn't make sense though, I thought everyone stayed well clear of Valyria.

I wonder if the show will mention the Shrouded Lord. Seems like all the greyscale references suggest it could be more important to the plot later. Are there any interesting theories about greyscale?

I wonder if the show will mention the Shrouded Lord. Seems like all the greyscale references suggest it could be more important to the plot later. Are there any interesting theories about greyscale?
Seems like they're moving the Greyscale stuff to the Valyrian ruins, which seems to indicate that Jorah will get it.

I really don't see what major changes have been done so far that are markedly inferior to what's in the books.

Sure, Barristan Selmy was awesome and I hate to lose him, but it's not like his death ruined Dany's storyline, or altered it in any way.

Moreover, the Sansa thing (the other major change) is much more interesting than what is featured in the books.

What would Sansa do in the Vale this season?

Do we really want Stannis to ride south and get stuck in a snow storm, then trade misfortunes with the Boltons until next season?

I think having an existing Stark take over the northern rebellion stuff is much better than some character we have to learn about brand new.

There comes a point in every TV series when new characters become unwelcome. It doesn't matter how well they're written or acted. They need to be disposable, and the characters left out of the books aren't disposable, so they're not in the show.

I think the broad strokes of it are probably better than what's in the books. The issue I see is that they're not doing the best job of tying everything back into the characters.

- Barristan, at almost every turn for the last 3 seasons, has had to pass up on the chance to do anything combat related because it's more important for him to be at Dany's side to protect her. He's out for a walk in Mereen, the alarm bells start to sound, and rather than hurry back to Dany to ensure her safety, he decides to draw his sword (when no Harpies are even around) and go running into dark alleyways looking for trouble?

- After 2+ seasons of the Unsullied looking, acting, and behaving like the Unsullied from the books, they are, all of a sudden, prone to panic, will break ranks at the drop of a hat, react to pain, and turn their backs to their opponents.

- Littlefinger. Willing to wait and see how things play out, but his maneuvering so far this season is very "un-Littlefinger-like". He's leaving an awful lot to chance, as it appears now. That's not how he rolls.

- Darth Sansa. "No, I won't do it. I won't be married to a Bolton, they killed my brother." 30 seconds of Littlefinger pep talk later...."Ah, fuck it. OK."

- Varys. Spent the first two seasons actively trying to kill Dany. Lobbied against her in small council meetings. Had her spied on and reported the findings to the council. Directly sent the order to have her killed as well as Jorah's pardon for a job well done. Now, all of a sudden, he's telling us that he was actually supporting her all along?

- Jaime/Bronn. Kinda' fun, what they're doing, but completely ridiculous. The show, almost satirically, has tried to explain why they're doing what they're doing, but to say it doesn't add up for either guy is putting it lightly.

I could keep going, but my fingers are getting tired. Bottom line is that it seems like they're writing to tentpoles all over the place, and the characters are bending and snapping under the strain of it all. I'm all for cutting characters/plotlines and getting from point A to B much quicker than in ADWD and AFFC, but the biggest strength of ASOIAF is the intense character study. I feel like the showrunners are so intent upon moving the plot from point A to point B that they're starting to leave their own characters behind, and hoping that if they move quickly enough, nobody will notice.

eot

Banned
I could keep going, but my fingers are getting tired. Bottom line is that it seems like they're writing to tentpoles all over the place, and the characters are bending and snapping under the strain of it all. I'm all for cutting characters/plotlines and getting from point A to B much quicker than in ADWD and AFFC, but the biggest strength of ASOIAF is the intense character study. I feel like the showrunners are so intent upon moving the plot from point A to point B that they're starting to leave their own characters behind, and hoping that if they move quickly enough, nobody will notice.

This, basically:
twister_game_05.jpg

- After 2+ seasons of the Unsullied looking, acting, and behaving like the Unsullied from the books, they are, all of a sudden, prone to panic, will break ranks at the drop of a hat, react to pain, and turn their backs to their opponents.
This is the one that actually bothers me. The build up for the strength of the Unsullied was pretty intense, so this is a bit disappointing. I expect them to get killed, but in a cool, unfeeling way.

For someone who loved last season, this current one looks like a mess.

Barristan and Grey Worm fight was awful.. terrible executed.

Jaime and Bronn in Dorne looks more dumb than I had antecipated.

And the Snake daughters' appearance was also bad.

This last episode looked cheap filmed.. I don't know... bad photography, bad acting, bad script.

I think the broad strokes of it are probably better than what's in the books. The issue I see is that they're not doing the best job of tying everything back into the characters.

- Barristan, at almost every turn for the last 3 seasons, has had to pass up on the chance to do anything combat related because it's more important for him to be at Dany's side to protect her. He's out for a walk in Mereen, the alarm bells start to sound, and rather than hurry back to Dany to ensure her safety, he decides to draw his sword (when no Harpies are even around) and go running into dark alleyways looking for trouble?

- Littlefinger. Willing to wait and see how things play out, but his maneuvering so far this season is very "un-Littlefinger-like". He's leaving an awful lot to chance, as it appears now. That's not how he rolls.

- Darth Sansa. "No, I won't do it. I won't be married to a Bolton, they killed my brother." 30 seconds of Littlefinger pep talk later...."Ah, fuck it. OK."

- Varys. Spent the first two seasons actively trying to kill Dany. Lobbied against her in small council meetings. Had her spied on and reported the findings to the council. Directly sent the order to have her killed as well as Jorah's pardon for a job well done. Now, all of a sudden, he's telling us that he was actually supporting her all along?

- Jaime/Bronn. Kinda' fun, what they're doing, but completely ridiculous. The show, almost satirically, has tried to explain why they're doing what they're doing, but to say it doesn't add up for either guy is putting it lightly.

Whoa, this nails a lot of the problems with the show really well. Don't forget how laughably bad Ellaria and the Sand Snakes have been so far. It felt like we waded into CW territory for a moment or two.

Now that the episodes sent to reviewers have all aired (1-4), I am even more confused at all of the positive pre-air buzz. It's not just that Season 5 has amounted to a poor adaptation thus far, as pointed out above. Even as a longtime book reader, I do not see that as problematic, so long as there is, first and foremost, good storytelling otherwise and, secondarily, good filmmaking. The books will always be just the books and the show will always be just the show. I see little reason why they can't stand on their own.

The problem is that, as the show begins to wade into uncharted waters and stand more and more on its own, it's beginning to show narrative cracks that were only minimally present in the smattering of show-exclusive material from past seasons. Now that show-exclusive material is more prominent, we begin to see that, without reliance on the books, it's just not that good, for many of the reasons pointed out above and more.

Whoa, this nails a lot of the problems with the show really well. Don't forget how laughably bad Ellaria and the Sand Snakes have been so far. It felt like we waded into CW territory for a moment or two.

I felt like I happened upon a SyFy channel show on a Saturday afternoon.

The divergent arcs to have potential but lets see if D&D can capitalize on them. The Sand Snake stuff is hard to swallow but then when I see scenes like that Stannis one it gives me hope again. That scene felt like it was taken straight from the books. Great writing , great acting , and perfectly portrays Stannis from the book. The little details were great too. The delayed hug, putting back to pieces on the map after Shireen moved them, talking about how the Dornish merchant thought new fathers were easy targets and Stannis not admitting he was one of them.

Drazgul

The divergent arcs to have potential but lets see if D&D can capitalize on them. The Sand Snake stuff is hard to swallow but then when I see scenes like that Stannis one it gives me hope again. That scene felt like it was taken straight from the books.

Doran Martell needs a lot more screentime, if the sand snakes are a necessary vehicle for that, then sure, whatever. But hopefully they'll be pushed aside sooner rather than later.

The divergent arcs to have potential but lets see if D&D can capitalize on them. The Sand Snake stuff is hard to swallow but then when I see scenes like that Stannis one it gives me hope again. That scene felt like it was taken straight from the books.
They focus so much on the show on making sure to show multiple aspects of characters including adding ones to book characters that we might not witness in the books (often due to the POV nature), Stannis' interactions with his daughter being a good example.

With that said, it's pretty strange that in four episodes, our introduction to Dorne has consisted of two brief scenes that showcased one-dimensional viewpoints.

Basically, more Doran pls

Meier

I can occasionally remember if they've changed the story from the books but I've got a pretty bad memory when it comes to minutiae. Is there a good resource that has cataloged all of the changes from the book?

TRios Zen

Re-watched the episode as I wasn't sure how I felt about it. On second viewing I'd say that I like the first 3/4's much more than the last.

Sand Snakes aren't given much to go on here and so fell flat. In the books I at least understood them, where as here they seem, just juvenile in their anger.

Sad to see Barry the Bold go, but he did go down like a champ. He takes 12-13 of them with him and is simply outnumbered. The unsullied, outside of Grey Worm, look like chumps though, and it would appear that Barry took out more than all 7 unsullied combined.

Finally, both Barry and the Worm have similar pools of blood collecting under them in the final scene - both appearing to be dying as the credits roll.

Just felt like I was watching different shows. One filmed very nicely, and directed well, and others directed by someone else, filmed on a low budget, with terrible lines.

So disjointed. I agreed the Stannis stuff was fantastic, 10/10.

Speevy

Banned

I thought Varys liked the Targaryens from season 1.

?

Also, I think Littlefinger's actions fit how he's been described so far. He's a manipulator. He wants power and vengeance, and doesn't care who he hurts along the way.

Varys for example would not have done that to Sansa.

Much like a dance with dragons, the best parts of season 5 are all at the Wall. Jon, Davos, and The Mannis MVPs.

The Dany stuff is bad, the Cersei and the Faith Militant arc is illogical, and the sand snakes are the CW or SyFy tier trash.

I thought Varys liked the Targaryens from season 1.

?

Also, I think Littlefinger's actions fit how he's been described so far. He's a manipulator. He wants power and vengeance, and doesn't care who he hurts along the way.

Varys for example would not have done that to Sansa.

I thought Little Finger saw himself and Sansa together in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom