• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to say I don't buy this. It's 90% things we already know, sprinkled with a few little "this character dies in mysterious circumstances" bits. The characters we know little about it barely touches on. Like, no details on the Cersei plot, Tyrion's summary is very vague, built only out of bits we know from casting. Its summary of events in King's Landing consists of nothing but the one plot point that has leaked from Margaery.
Also its call on the bodies on the crosses would be...underwhelming. A guy who died a year ago and you didn't even kill, plus your own dad? No one's going to be demoralized by that.

Re: bodies

If anything in there is true, it's that. The information is out there, because the 'Watchers on the Wall' website refused to publish the information to avoid pissing off HBO, from what I can remember. I don't know where you're getting a year from, S6 will probably pick back up right where season 5 ended.

Makes sense too, since we know there's a meeting between Jon, Sansa, Littlefinger & Ramsay after the battle in Winterfell, and that pretty much rules out all of the other characters in 'The North' that it could be.

A GoT marathon is on HBO2 now. I'm watching the 7th episode of S1 and my god I forgot how bad it was. Horrible, pondering exposition scene after exposition scene. Including that Littlefinger scene in the brothel where he directs a sex scene while detailing his past history lol. Terrible.

It's also the episode where Ned confronts Cersei. Another bad scene.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Not sure how I feel about that whole spanish spoiler biz. On the one hand it all seems plausible enough to be things the show would do, but there's definitely some bits I'd rather not see be real.

It's easier and cheaper to cut his hair than get a good wig for him. Was Kim Kimble not available or too expensive... I hope they have a good explanation for the hair cut.

Why should they need one?

"Meera, my haircut sucks, could you cut my hair while I'm spaced out having visions?"

Perfectly enough

Moff

maybe this is not bran but future bran from 20 years in the future, where everything is already over, and he looks back in time and even more into the future

Euron

Looks like GRRM has been torturing r/asoiaf all day with a series of Livejournal posts. I am 99% sure that he will say nothing new about TWOW but the posts do offer some insight in regards to his past year.

It was originally one large post but it got deleted so he's broken it up into a bunch of smaller less satisfying posts (sound familiar?) and has not finished uploading them all yet.

r/asoiaf

Livejournal Post #1

So are we still feeling fairly confident that this Spanish guy is telling the truth or what?

It doesn't really matter. No one should ever base their hopes on vague comments from foreign language editors. 5th hand information about an author who probably doesn't even know himself when he will be finished writing is not worth much.

Kain

Super late to the party (I forgot this show existed lol) but these are pure gold whether they are true or not:

So Jon = Stannis, Theon in the Iron Islands, LF taking sides, Jaime stupidly wandering the lands at the behest of Olenna... yeah, I can believe that's all D&D, but ok, they are rumors, let's not jump the shark yet.

Though I like the bit in the end, Dorne and Tyrells united against someone? I hope that someone is Euron with Slayer blasting in the background or it won't make sense.

I think the thing I'm most disappointed/dubious on with those spoilers is fucking
Theon going back to the Iron Islands.
So what, he just leaves Sansa in the North
?
They jump, survive, and just go their separate ways
? Ugh.

And what the hell purpose would he even serve in the Iron Islands? Being defeated at the Kingsmoot
?

I think the thing I'm most disappointed/dubious on with those spoilers is fucking
?
? Ugh.

And what the hell purpose would he even serve in the Iron Islands? Being defeated at the Kingsmoot
?
Serve the same role as sansa last season, someone for the audience to care about but won't affect the story at all

Iksenpets

Banned
?
? Ugh.

?

Filming/possible leak spoilers:
Theon in the Iron Islands was pretty much confirmed when they were filming the Kingsmoot. The thing that stands out to me in those "spoiler" is the claim that Yara returns for a second rescue attempt. I can't see anything that could possibly motivate that.

As for what role he would play in the Iron Islands, it could just be that they didn't feel comfortable having a plot that was just Yara and Euron, and wanted one of their main characters there. It may be that the show Kingsmoot is merging the Feast Kingsmoot with some future event where Asha brings Theon back to invalidate Euron's election, so he'll be there speaking for Yara in the show. Or, if the rumor's claim about Yara dying are true, it could be that they're rewriting things to have Theon take Asha's role altogether, similar to their Jon/Stannis swap. Kill off a smaller character rather than letting them come into a bigger role, and then pass that bigger role on to an already major character.

81f3d266110f4ae3a2cc7bd14b667f7d-d8siyke.jpg

I just wanted to see this in a tv show

Iksenpets

Banned
You can have the next best thing. Ray Stevenson (the only Victarion there ever could have been) is playing Blackbeard in Black Sails season 3.

I was just reading the Victarion Shield Islands chapter the other day and it was difficult to not read him as Ray Stevenson.

Filming/possible leak spoilers:
Theon in the Iron Islands was pretty much confirmed when they were filming the Kingsmoot. The thing that stands out to me in those "spoiler" is the claim that Yara returns for a second rescue attempt. I can't see anything that could possibly motivate that.

As for what role he would play in the Iron Islands, it could just be that they didn't feel comfortable having a plot that was just Yara and Euron, and wanted one of their main characters there. It may be that the show Kingsmoot is merging the Feast Kingsmoot with some future event where Asha brings Theon back to invalidate Euron's election, so he'll be there speaking for Yara in the show. Or, if the rumor's claim about Yara dying are true, it could be that they're rewriting things to have Theon take Asha's role altogether, similar to their Jon/Stannis swap. Kill off a smaller character rather than letting them come into a bigger role, and then pass that bigger role on to an already major character.

Yara bringing Theon back to invalidate Euron
is pretty brilliant and I'd buy that as a TWOW plot point, but as you mentioned, what the fuck would ever make
her think Theon is in any way salvageable
at this point in the show?

SteveWD40

Yara bringing Theon back to invalidate Euron
is pretty brilliant and I'd buy that as a TWOW plot point, but as you mentioned, what the fuck would ever make
her think Theon is in any way salvageable
at this point in the show?

Could she hear about his actions at Moat Cailin? instead of trying to save him, she figures if he can pretend to be Theon for the Boltons he can pretend for her?

Hearing he tricked Ironborn into being flayed might push her into using him rather than saving him.

bengraven

Could she hear about his actions at Moat Cailin? instead of trying to save him, she figures if he can pretend to be Theon for the Boltons he can pretend for her?

Hearing he tricked Ironborn into being flayed might push her into using him rather than saving him.

Yeah, that would
invalidate him, as well as the knowledge that he has no cock and can't produce heirs. Then Euron is in like Flynn.

I'll spoil tag to be safe, sorry guys.
The speculation that Theon facing some sort of consequence for Moat Cailin be it positive or negative makes a lot of sense.

Iksenpets

Banned

If Moat Cailin in public knowledge, then I don't see how Theon sets foot on the Islands without getting shanked like immediately. The other thing that bugs me about the idea of Yara coming for him is the pacing of it through the season would be really weird. You would have to do Balon's death and Euron's arrival, and then have Yara realize she needs Theon, then she leaves, gets him, and comes back, and all the while Euron just waits for her so they can have a Kingsmoot when she and Theon get back? I feel like it would make more sense to have Theon hear about his father's death and then Sansa releases him and he goes home to support Yara to try to pay her back for what he did at the Dreadfort. That's way fewer steps and let's them get to the Kingsmoot more quickly.

Should go full Mangaka and release chapters bi-monthly at this point lol.

I honestly kind of wish he would release the Battle of Ice as a novella or something, just to respond to how season 5 handled that, and we can move on having seen how similarly or not that will play out compared to the book. And if it really is crazy different, it probably would make people feel a little more comfortable about the coming spoilers.

The speculation that Theon facing some sort of consequence for Moat Cailin be it positive or negative makes a lot of sense.

Theon being convicted of betraying the Greyjoy's would be an interesting end to Theon with his major arc being his betrayal of the Starks and his guilt over those actions.

Only issue with this Theon talk is how it relates to Littlefinger's ignorance of Ramsay in season 5. If this information was able to get to Yara or even back to the Iron Islands before her return then why didn't Littlefinger pick up on it prior to ditching Sansa with Ramsay.

How does this information come to the Iron Islands if not from Yara, as SteveWD40 suggests, and how would Yara find out about it or harbor any sort of resentment for Theon when she's seen first hand how low Ramsay had brought him?

I could see Ramsay sending the information to the Iron Islands to try and scupper Theon's attempts at going home, but why would they take him as an authority on something like this? I'm not sure what the official word on the sacking of Winterfell is but someone has to have figured out that there's a connection between Theon being taken, the Iron Born being slaughtered and the new Bolton occupiers?

There's merit to it, but Theon's utterly broken and obviously tortured state (physically and mentally) should be enough to discredit any accusation that he acted of his own accord.

Of course it could be used maliciously by someone like Euron as a way of keeping Theon out of the picture should he turn up again, perhaps he's already spread on the Iron Islands as a precaution.

Just some thoughts on it.

Lothar

Banned
I got the telltale game for Christmas. I wasn't expecting much out of it, didn't ask for it, and wasn't expecting to ever play it. And.. it's shockingly great. I'm enjoying it more than I did all of the stories of Season 5 outside of Jon Snow and the Wall.

Giving you the story of a minor house and seeing how they're affected by the war, the Red Wedding, and the Boltons winning the north is something the show badly needed. It fleshes the world out and makes the story of the show better. The show forgets Robb's northern allies existed. The voice acting is incredible. I wasn't expecting to hear the voices of the actors in the show because Walking Dead didn't have that. It feels really authentic.

If you never intend to play the game, at least watch this from the end of Season 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2NDIpO-9N0#t=103m55s (Should take you to 1:43:55) Ramsay is arriving to see you bend the knee. It matches the dread and tension of some of the best parts of the show.

So far nothing as shitty yet as "Bad pussy", Stannis burning his daughter, "Play with her arse", etc..

- EW: Game of Thrones in talks for seventh and eighth season renewal
The reign will continue: HBO is readying another two seasons of Game of Thrones.

The network is deep in talks to bring back the Emmy-winning fantasy hit for a seventh and eighth season, HBO programming president Michael Lombardo told EW at the network’s Television Critics Association press tour party in Pasadena on Thursday night.

The show is not expected to have, we’re told, a seventh final season that’s split across two years — a scenario popularized by The Sopranos and Breaking Bad and frequently speculated as the most likely outcome for the intensely serialized series.

The move will presumably involve new deals for the cast (at least, for those whose characters survive the next two seasons) as the show’s talent is only optioned through seven seasons at this point.

The news comes on the heels of HBO announcing that season 6 of the hit series will premiere on April 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom