• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

We're going in circles here... but LF did not state that was his plan. I don't think that's his plan.
Then what was the point of anything he did in King's Landing?

Sansa is only worth anything to him as long as she's in Winterfell
The most obvious route to gain control of the North is to use Sansa's Stark name to rally the North against the Boltons. Ramsay dying would not give Sansa control over the Boltons; she was never anything more than a prisoner, and the soldiers damn well know that. Roose is the boss.

I gained a better appreciation of Dillane after watching John Adams this year(I hadn't seen in much else).

I'm not sure if D&D realized what they had with him and his portrayal of Stannis until the last season. Could have been one of the driving forces for the show if they gave him as much love as they gave to Rory McCann.

I don't think it was that, I think it was just Stannis' arc and Stannis as a character is pretty tough on TV. As a baseline, 2 out of the 4 seasons he was on the show was based on Storm content, which Stannis is largely disconnected from the rest of the story for.

Apt101

I'm fairly certain Littlefinger's story is going to follow other manipulators in history who drove so hard for self-serving purposes that they lost the forest for the trees and ended up doing themselves in. Varys has a clear, not altogether selfish goal in mind, but he's probably going to end up backing the wrong horse out of a misplaced sense of tradition. I think they're just two sides of the same coin and the payoff will begin to become clear in The Winds of Winter.

Speevy

Banned
The most sensible thing they could do with the whole Winterfell storyline is one of the following:

1) Have Littlefinger invade with the backing of the Lannisters and whoever else he can find while Jon is already fighting the Boltons, so they're pretty much overwhelmed.

That's pretty much what that Spanish guy said was going to happen.

I think this idea would be cooler though.

Ramsay gets a crow that one of the northern houses has Sansa, but can't bring her back because of the storm or some other bullshit excuse. Sensing some sort of ruse, the Boltons send half their army to retrieve Sansa, but they're lured into their own little red wedding. Meanwhile Jon attacks the weakened Bolton forces at Winterfell.

Otherwise, we just go round and round with Ramsay's evil-o-thon.

Thought some people might find this interesting / entertaining:

- Watchers: The results are in! Here are your guesses for Game of Thrones season 6 episode titles
Here are the episode names that got at least 100 overall guesses (only very similar guesses were combined).

Kingsmoot 390
The Winds of Winter 342
Family, Duty, Honor 237
Tower of Joy 226
Queen of Nothing 219
Crow’s Eye 196
The Long Night 147
Mummer’s Farce 140
Winter/Winter Has Come 126
Valonqar 117
A Thousand Eyes and One 116
Mercy 112
Promise Me 112
The Prince That Was Promised/The One That Was Promised 105
There's a lot more of them via the link.

bengraven

A month and a half and still just bullshit third and fourth tier casting announcements and CGI or recycled trailers.

giphy.gif

Getting bored here.

Dysun

Build up to this season sure has been strange

Namely it comes across as cast members saying "Jon Snow is dead!"

axb2013

Look at Lysa. She was forced to marry Arryn, then he died at her hands and she controls the Vale. That's what LF's plans with Sansa were. He puts her in Winterfell and she's one Ramsay death away from having control of the North. Sansa is only worth anything to him as long as she's in Winterfell and she can't do that hidden away in the Vale.

Agreed, he is using Sansa much like he used Lysa and overall there is a certain flavor to his games that can be traced in the show as well, back to the early seasons.

I am confident that on their way to Winterfell, after the Brienne encounter when Sansa hesitated, his offer to turn around was pure bluff. He had committed her to his cause, he views Sansa as a bonus rather than the grand prize, gaining control over second kingdom is mandatory, recovering Sansa in the process is optional. He will march on Boltons the moment he is confident in victory but I am curious if he takes Robin into the battle. If Robin is with him, he'll use the battle to get rid of Robin and then plan to marry Sansa to rule both the Vale and Winterfell. He would eventually kill Sansa because she is a loose end, Sansa has more on him than Lysa ever had.

The modicum of humanity he had was lost back when he couldn't get Cat. He wants Sansa as much as he wanted Cat but after the price he (almost) paid when he dueled for Cat, LF is now a computer than can barely be distracted by Sansa, risking himself again, for her or anyone else is unlikely.

- EW: Game of Thrones lockdown: HBO won't send press any season 6 episodes
HBO has decided to not give the media any advance episodes of the Emmy-winning series for season 6. The upcoming season is on such a content lock-down that the press and Hollywood insiders will not receive any episodes in advance – either on DVD or via online screening – circumventing industry convention. “We’re not sending out press copies this year, anywhere in the world,” HBO programming president Michael Lombardo told EW. “There will be no copies for review.”

The move could be a first for a major series, though isn’t entirely surprising in the case of Thrones. Last year, HBO sent the first four hours of season 5 to its usual media distribution list, and the content leaked onto BitTorrent before the show’s premiere – spoiling nearly half the season for some viewers as plot points gained coverage online. While HBO has since switched to a more secure online screening system for critics, the company has nonetheless opted against taking any chances with the intensely anticipated new season of its highest-rated series of all time. Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss advocated the no-screener strategy to protect season 6 content and, after some discussion, network executives agreed.

Thoroughly sensible idea- the thrill of the unknown is a big part of this show's promotion, and the leak of half the season last year was a big blow to the buildup.

Gigglepoo

Basically Jon Snow resurrects in the first episodes then.

I was thinking it would be much later than that. They're going to do flashbacks/Bran visions before that to weave in backstory of his parents/conception before they bring him back.

I could see them waiting until E4 or E5 and then, right after we're used to Jon being back in our lives, they're going to drop the Lady Stoneheart bomb in episode 10.

NeoGiff

I was thinking it would be much later than that. They're going to do flashbacks/Bran visions before that to weave in backstory of his parents/conception before they bring him back.

I could see them waiting until E4 or E5 and then, right after we're used to Jon being back in our lives, they're going to drop the Lady Stoneheart bomb in episode 10.

Stoneheart won't happen.

NeoGiff

Don't kill the dream man, don't kill the dream.

Stoneheart as a plot device and resurrection set-up became irrelevant when the show had Melisandre visit the Brotherhood. It would make no sense anyway. Catelyn Stark is a long-rotted corpse by now, and even if they skipped over her actual resurrection, two full seasons have passed without any mention of strange hangings in the woods etc.

The dream is dead.

Gigglepoo

Stoneheart as a plot device and resurrection set-up became irrelevant when the show had Melisandre visit the Brotherhood. It would make no sense anyway. Catelyn Stark is a long-rotted corpse by now, and even if they skipped over her actual resurrection, two full seasons have passed without any mention of strange hangings in the woods etc.

The dream is dead.

Eh, the show did spring the Sparrows on everyone in season five without any build up. And it looks like we're going to see some of the Grand Northern Conspiracy in season six even though they haven't set the stage for unrest. If Jamie is in the Riverlands dealing with House Tully and Brienne moseys down to the monastery to talk to Elder Brother, I think it's more likely than not that Lady Stoneheart makes an appearance.

If you're worried that there's no build up, the showrunners could drop a couple hints in the lead up to the big reveal. But it makes sense for there to be revenge against the Boltons and Freys in the North and South, and Stoneheart leads that charge in the South.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure the northern conspiracy is basically Ramsay riding around appeasing northern lords while they talk shit behind his back until Jon arrives with an army.

This isn't indicative of any conversation currently happening, but I just want to say.

Even though he's a delusional dick, I love Stannis' character. I really enjoyed his arc, and I felt that Stephen Dillane did a great job bringing that character to life and making him feel like a real person.

HBO notes that there are 50 days until the new season starts and 50 episodes of GoT:

VjrdxH6.jpg

I'm not that interested in a marathon or the hashtag, but I did think it was cool to see a single picture for each episode all lined up like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom