• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

axb2013

I've come to rely on this thread for info to the point where if I'm not seeing something posted every day, I conclude that you guys are holding out on me rather than the more logical conclusion that nothing news worthy occurred.

I've definitely got the GOT fever back but it's way too soon.
Usual symptoms, listening to theme covers on youtube, watching episodes, reviews, parodies and actor appearances. May the LOL curse this 42 weeks of drought/10 weeks of joy schedule.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've come to rely on this thread for info to the point where if I'm not seeing something posted every day, I conclude that you guys are holding out on me rather than the more logical conclusion that nothing news worthy occurred.

I've definitely got the GOT fever back but it's way too soon.
Usual symptoms, listening to theme covers on youtube, watching episodes, reviews, parodies and actor appearances. May the LOL curse this 42 weeks of drought/10 weeks of joy schedule.
Well no news really, plus I think a lot of are just waiting for a trailer at this point.

From the GoT twitter account:

n99gOns.jpg

Tuffty

Would be kind of cool if the reason they're showing literally every characters faces, including dead ones, is because we will get to see them in some capacity this season like in Bran's flashbacks.

Iksenpets

Banned
Wait who are the two book ending?

First is Tormund, second I don't know. For a split second I thought Arya, but it's definitely not her.

Edit: Apparently it's Nym Sand. HBO Asia included her, I guess in the same way Dutch HBO always include Melisandre and Daario in everything.

Would be kind of cool if the reason they're showing literally every characters faces, including dead ones, is because we will get to see them in some capacity this season like in Bran's flashbacks.

Would be cool, but it's totally just them covering for the fact that they want to use Jon in the marketing, so they have to include other dead characters to make him fit.

First is Tormund, second I don't know. For a split second I thought Arya, but it's definitely not her.

Edit: Apparently it's Nym Sand. HBO Asia included her, I guess in the same way Dutch HBO always include Melisandre and Daario in everything.

Would be cool, but it's totally just them covering for the fact that they want to use Jon in the marketing, so they have to include other dead characters to make him fit.

Shit how could I not recognize my boy tormund!

WaffleTaco

Hmm time for a new avtar maybe of the Red Viper...which reminds me that they almost never used that nickname for some reason.

Supposedly there are 16 posters in all. I can't be bothered to track them all down from the different websites that have an 'exclusive' on them, so I'll just wait until WiCnet or Watchers compiles the full set.

NeoGiff

Hmm time for a new avtar maybe of the Red Viper...which reminds me that they almost never used that nickname for some reason.

I think those kinds of nicknames work a lot better in written form than when spoken aloud.

Just think about characters walking around and unironically saying "Lady Stoneheart". Yeah.

WaffleTaco

I think those kinds of nicknames work a lot better in written form than when spoken aloud.

Just think about characters walking around and unironically saying "Lady Stoneheart". Yeah.

Hmm you are probably right. The Hound and the Mountain aren't too bad. I am also glad they did not stick with calling Tyrion an imp.

Iksenpets

Banned

Yeah, I think the show generally follows a format where everyone's nickname gets dropped once, as a little book shoutout, and then never used again, both to avoid the hokeyness of it and to avoid confusing viewers who now have to remember an extra name for every character. The Hound and Mountain flip this, by almost always being referred to by nickname, and having their real names only used once.

From what I recall, Tyrion was called "imp" once in the premier, Robb was called "the Young Wolf" once, during Arya's bit to Tywin about what they think of Robb in the North, Oberyn is called Red Viper once, when Tyrion is talking to Jaime before the duel, Olenna is called Queen of Thorns once during a conversation with Cersei, Loras is called Knight of Flowers once, during his introductory joust. Jaime is the only one who gets Kingslayer used multiple times, since it's important to establish how negative people's perceptions of him are.

Am I the only one who feels the Faceless Men marketing and storyline in the show has been falling kind of flat? It's just not that interesting. Once Arya hit Braavos in the show I felt much less intrigued by her scenes. In the books I didn't mind it but in the show I'm not feeling it and centering the marketing on it is making it worse.

Am I the only one who feels the Faceless Men marketing and storyline in the show has been falling kind of flat? It's just not that interesting. Once Arya hit Braavos in the show I felt much less intrigued by her scenes. In the books I didn't mind it but in the show I'm not feeling it and centering the marketing on it is making it worse.

It's kinda clever in that they can use Jon in the marketing without giving the game up, but I agree it's not very interesting (so far). To be fair I don't think the show has ever had good character posters, these are above average really.

They should be leaning more on Bran & his visions.

Gigglepoo

They should be leaning more on Bran & his visions.

Bran gets more into "spoiler" territory. By using Arya's setting, you remind viewers of dead characters, living characters, and a fascinating story (at least in the books) without giving anything away.

Plus, I think the story is going to become more magical and using the faceless men hints at that as well.

I personally love this slow build up. Gets me excited without giving anything away.

Mr Git

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/25/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-twist-will-appear-in-books-not-tv-show

Martin said he had decided he would include the twist after a couple of years of deliberation. “I have decided to do it. Will you know it? I don’t know. It is fairly obvious because it is something that involves a couple of characters, one of which is dead on the show, and not dead in the books. So the show can’t do it, unfortunately, because they have killed someone I have not killed.”

Interesting quote, although fairly easy considering how liberally the show kills off characters. Guesses as to who and what? Mance? Barristan? Maybe it's M + B = J.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/25/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-twist-will-appear-in-books-not-tv-show

Interesting quote, although fairly easy considering how liberally the show kills off characters. Guesses as to who and what? Mance? Barristan? Maybe it's M + B = J.

My money is on Stannis being dead, but then not really (though eventually, really).

His 'death', Jon's revival & the sacrifice of Shireen be Mel (who is still at The Wall with her) have to be connected.

Stannis 'dies', Mel & Selyse burn Shireen to bring him back but Jon comes back instead, Ramsay heads out for his bride & his Reek, Stannis springs his trap (he's sitting on top of a lake in the books, we're totally seeing a King Arthur Ice Battle homage in TWOW, count on that!). Mel freaks & abandons Stannis, Selyse realises she's lost her husband and daughter for nothing, Jon is free of his oath and commits to answering Ramsey's threat by marching south.

They'll meet, Stannis' "true believers" abandon him when they learn of what happened to Jon and Stannis winds up with nothing. No Kingdom, no wife, no daughter, no Melisandre and no Azor Ahai legacy.

Season 6 set leaks:
Since it looks like Jon is taking Winterfell with a Wildling/Northern army this season I have to think they're giving Stannis' story to him, because he's a more popular character & Ramsay is their new villain.

I cannot and will not believe that GRRM kills off Stannis and then has Jon march to fight the baddies and retake Winterfell. That such a step down from everything he has written up to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom