• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

Okay episode. I'm sad that they're completely ignoring House Manderly in the show, but I get it, too many threads. Oh well, I'm just glad Jon Snow's plot is finally advancing.

Hopefully Daenarys can get a move on too.

As far as Rickon, I agree with the other speculation, it's probably a trick by the Umbars, although the risk of Ramsey just spontaneously stabbing both Rickon and Osha seems too fucking high.

Grief51

Banned
I've never really understood the obsession with what happened at the Tower of Joy and how it should be shown in the show. The important part is that Jon is a Targaryen. The details of ToJ aren't really relevant to anything. I'd be totally satisfied if the ToJ never appeared and Jon's lineage was revealed in another fashion.

How do you know, we have full knowledge of everything relevant?
There still might be details or twists we are not aware of.

For example there is a theory that Rhaegars harp is buried in Lyanna's tomb in Winterfell. It could be used to prove Rhaegar and Lyanna were in a relationship.
This is just one example, there are many more facets and theories regarding R+L=J.

There are still quite a few unknowns to the whole Tower of Joy and R+L=J. Showing the scene in the show would reveal A LOT and be a big moment.

Tiktaalik

Jon being a Targaryen and being able to ride a dragon (ie being one of the three heads of the dragon) is the only really relevant thing to the core story. You don't need to reveal anything about the events of the tower of joy to disclose this.

Geist-

What´s the point of Gilly and Sam? IIRC the baby might have significance, is there anything else?
Well, as soon as they get to Oldtown we will have the first PoV inside a major city that has never appeared yet on the show.

And Sam has simply always been a PoV character.

I've never really understood the obsession with what happened at the Tower of Joy and how it should be shown in the show. The important part is that Jon is a Targaryen. The details of ToJ aren't really relevant to anything. I'd be totally satisfied if the ToJ never appeared and Jon's lineage was revealed in another fashion.

What happened there (well, before. The truth about how lyanna ended up there) started the whole war and set everything in motion in the first place. It was how the whole chessboard got set.

Turin

Banned
I always liked Osha. Goddammit, D&D.

ToJ's appeal is at least partially to do with the aesthetic manner in which Martin told the tale with the dialogue and nebulous descriptions.

The White Walkers are still a thing. No way the Night's Watch all suddenly break their vows and leave the wall undefended.

They are still bound by an oath after all. It is only Jon who is now free to leave the Watch if he wants to.

Yeah but I'm not convinced Dolorous Edd and a lot of these other former criminals really give a damn about oaths(the show makes it look like there's only about 50 people left). Jon will still be concerned with the White Walkers and fighting them is still his mission.

I just feel like it would at least take some words of encouragement from Jon to actually stick with that place instead of just sealing the gate and leaving.

I want the sand snakes to end up like Ollie, and their mother tortured to death.

Probably will tie into the Euron storyline somehow. Dunno if they will have any significant role doe.

Well, as soon as they get to Oldtown we will have the first PoV inside a major city that has never appeared yet on the show.

And Sam has simply always been a PoV character.

Sounds reasnoble, i just don´t want them to use more time on them lol.

Grief51

Banned
What´s the point of Gilly and Sam? IIRC the baby might have significance, is there anything else?

Sam is going to Oldtown to train to be a maester. Sam will probably discover some new knowledge about the White Walkers or who knows what else.
Moreoever, Euron is attacking the Reach in the books. My bet is the same thing will happen in season 6 after he is elected King at the Kingsmoot

devilhawk

It's unclear in the books too.

Obviously Sam becoming a maester is not going to happen. That would take years longer than this story will take to complete. The best guess is something significant happens in Oldtown that mandates GRMM having a POV in the city - even if Sam isn't directly involved.

Ri'Orius

Also Bran having the power to seemingly alter the past is crazy. There is no telling how much that could alter the story. I loved Max Von Sadow's reaction to that. He was like "holy shit, wtf just happened, we need to get out of here."

Pretty sure he knows they can affect the past, but that it doesn't actually alter it. You know, the classic impotent time traveler trope (that I frankly hate, as it makes no sense in reality, but only works in stories; of course, arguably the same could be said of prophesy).

For instance, I do buy into the prediction that Bran will at some point warg into past-Hodor, and in so doing break his brain. I also thought that Jon's resurrection would be orchestrated by Bran retroactively guiding Lady Stoneheart north to the wall (since Dondarrion transferred his extra life to her, she would have to pass it on to Jon, but for travel time to make sense she'd've had to start her journey north before Jon died).

I'm kinda holding out hope that that happens in the books, although now that I think about it Catelyn hates Jon, so maybe that pet theory of mine makes no sense.

Brakke

Banned
So John just ragequit the watch? can he do that so easily without being hunted and killed by his former friends?

Dude came back from the dead and killed his killers. Castle Black was legit shook. People calling him a "God" and all. Who would oppose him at that point?

Kuroyume

Banned
Thought it was an enjoyable episode. Like the Qyburn and Night's Watch scenes mostly. They can't seem to make anything related to Daenerys worth watching though. I'm okay with those chapters in the book but any time she appears on screen I just want to fast foward.

I fucking hate that Shaggydog is dead. Too many of the wolves are dead and it is pissing me off. And why the fuck hasn't Arya had her wolf dreams yet? Anyway, you hear all this shit about the North still being loyal to the Starks (outside the Karstarks and Boltons) and yet the Umbers betray them because of wildlings? That's it? OK And that scene was fucking ridiculous. That guy went in there like a fucking boss and started talking shit to Ramsay like he felt no threat? The same fucking Ramsay that hunts people and skins them alive? Really?

Btw, can't believe people think the High Sparrow scene was useless. That scene went from it looks like shit is about to go down (and people are going to die) to the Sparrow defusing the situation and manipulating Tommen yet again. It was excellent.

Saya

Pretty good episode. I disliked Dayne's dual-wielding nonsense though. And I had hoped Howland Reed was going to use some warging or something right at the end of the fight instead of stabbing him the back. I also pictured Reed to be shorter for some reason.

The little birds scene with Qyburn was ridiculous. How is is that easy to convince the spy network to work for them instead? Just offer some candy and help.

I've become bored with Arya's training montage, so I am glad that seems to be over.

Everything on The Wall was awesome. Best parts of the show for me. Hoping to see Jon move to Winterfell now with a bunch of Wildlings.

Also I wished we got a glimpse of Sandor this episode.

Maybe LSH on the show is actually Arya?

Sansa.

News Bot

Banned
Thought it was an enjoyable episode. Like the Qyburn and Night's Watch scenes mostly. They can't seem to make anything related to Daenerys worth watching though. I'm okay with those chapters in the book but any time she appears on screen I just want to fast foward.

Doesn't help that most of the dialogue in her scenes might as well be her rhyming off her innumerable titles.

Kozak

Banned
I noticed this ep did even more to set up Jon as the biggest player in the show.

The trial by combat hint was also juicy af.

Saya said:
The little birds scene with Qyburn was ridiculous. How is is that easy to convince the spy network to work for them instead? Just offer some candy and help.

They're kids who Varys took care of (as well as their families if this episode is to go by). Not that ridiculous.

I mean, its not uncommon for an adult to have children working for them as a network of thieves in poorer countries. I imagine it works the same way.

Saya

They're kids who Varys took care of (as well as their families if this episode is to go by). Not that ridiculous.

I mean, its not uncommon for an adult to have children working for them as a network of thieves in poorer countries. I imagine it works the same way.

I get that, but I just always pictured his network to be stronger and more disciplined. They did kill Kevan after all in the books. I would think the kids would be more loyal to Varys. They just go to whoever offers the most candy I guess.

Corpekata

Banned
Didn't Qyburn's scene imply he's been treating their medical issues and that of their families, and he appeared to be involved with the "dissapearance" of an abusive family member to the one kid? I don't think he's just giving them sweets. It's clear this was hardly their first meeting.

I fucking hate that Shaggydog is dead. Too many of the wolves are dead and it is pissing me off. And why the fuck hasn't Arya had her wolf dreams yet? Anyway, you hear all this shit about the North still being loyal to the Starks (outside the Karstarks and Boltons) and yet the Umbers betray them because of wildlings? That's it? OK And that scene was fucking ridiculous. That guy went in there like a fucking boss and started talking shit to Ramsay like he felt no threat? The same fucking Ramsay that hunts people and skins them alive? Really?

Ramsay himself said last episode that they need the Umbers (+ Manderlys and Karstarks) on their side to keep the rest of north in check. I assume lord Umber knows Ramsay isn't gonna fuck with him.

And I'd imagine Umbers would rather have other houses aid them against the wildlings rather than spend all their own troops.

Brakke

Banned
Shaggydog definitely isn't dead. Northlords playing games believe.

I was glad to see Littlefinger in the preview. His absence so far has been conspicuous.

I will say I don't think Umbers are tricking Ramsay but I hope so just cause I want lord Umber to stay on the show after Ramsay is disposed of :lol.

Corpekata

Banned
Umber playing him doesn't make a lot of sense from a timing point of view. Only thing I can think of is he is being spurned on by someone manipulating things, like Littlefinger wanting to ensure he has inside men when the time comes to atttack Ramsay.

I kinda would like it to be that though. He had a fun introduction. It would mean Shaggydog was alive. It would make Littlefingers' plans to marry off Sansa seem a little less stupid, and would better explain why the Umbers are bothering with this at this specific moment, and would excuse his flimsy reason for bothering to parlay with the Boltons when Ramsay is clearly no better than his father. And it would make the Northmen actually live up to their rep, which they haven't been lately. Like a play on what Lord Manderlay's story is like in the books with him holed up with the Boltons but clearly working against them.

However I'm not betting on that being right.

Brakke

Banned
Does anybody know any production details on the wolves? Like... it's bonkers that Ghost isn't at Jon's heel when he's leaving Castle Black. Are the direwolf fx prohibitively expensive or something?

Absent wolves has been conspicuous for a while, I'm curious if anybody knows is that a artistic choice (?) or a production constraint.

CloudWolf

So Arya only has three people on her list?

And Sophie Turner tweeted before the premiere during the Cast plays two truths and one lie.

“Ramsay dies.”
“Lady Stoneheart returns.”
“Arya checks three people off her list.”

No way Arya kills Cersei or Ser Gregor so Stoneheart in this season?

There's no way they're going to introduce Lady Stoneheart now, no way. It would be way too confusing for the general audience and it would open op a serious plothole. Why would Catelyn have changed so much, but Jon stayed the same ol' Jon? I'm pretty sure Sophie Turner meant that in general three of Arya's list die; Gregor, Walder and whoever she had to add by training girl.

Does anybody know any production details on the wolves? Like... it's bonkers that Ghost isn't at Jon's heel when he's leaving Castle Black. Are the direwolf fx prohibitively expensive or something?

Absent wolves has been conspicuous for a while, I'm curious if anybody knows is that a artistic choice (?) or a production constraint.

I'm sure they're just expensive to have on screen.

It really sucks. I wish the wolves were so much more predominant in the show.

Gigglepoo

There's no way they're going to introduce Lady Stoneheart now, no way. It would be way too confusing for the general audience and it would open op a serious plothole. Why would Catelyn have changed so much, but Jon stayed the same ol' Jon. I'm pretty sure Sophie Turner meant that in general three of Arya's list die.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Corpekata

Banned
I think the "Arya checks three people off her list" thing might just be a reference to her giving up her list like she did this episode.

It's unclear in the books too.

Obviously Sam becoming a maester is not going to happen. That would take years longer than this story will take to complete. The best guess is something significant happens in Oldtown that mandates GRMM having a POV in the city - even if Sam isn't directly involved.

Wasn't there also a faceless man character hanging out in Oldtown who was potentially going to cross paths with Sam? I feel like that was the prologue to book 4a.

Definitely feels like we are on track for the event that the massive spoilerama posted on Reddit, so that's cool I guess.

Umber playing him doesn't make a lot of sense from a timing point of view. Only thing I can think of is he is being spurned on by someone manipulating things, like Littlefinger wanting to ensure he has inside men when the time comes to atttack Ramsay.

I kinda would like it to be that though. He had a fun introduction. It would mean Shaggydog was alive. It would make Littlefingers' plans to marry off Sansa seem a little less stupid, and would better explain why the Umbers are bothering with this at this specific moment, and would excuse his flimsy reason for bothering to parlay with the Boltons when Ramsay is clearly no better than his father. And it would make the Northmen actually live up to their rep, which they haven't been lately. Like a play on what Lord Manderlay's story is like in the books with him holed up with the Boltons but clearly working against them.

However I'm not betting on that being right.
It could still be the real Shaggydog even if they were playing Ramsay. I mean, it would piss Rickon off but at the end it's just an expendable animal to give proof to Ramsay. Ned killed Lady without a second thought really just to get Cersei off his back.

Tho I really doubt Umber is playing him since he actually delivered the real Rickon. I'm thinking it's mainly Manderlys and Mormonts who will be the major pro Stark houses.

Tabris

I just realized the karma of the Tower of Joy scene.

Ned is losing to Arthur Dayne until he gets stabbed from the back.

Jamie is losing to Ned until he gets stabbed from the back.

devilhawk

I'm sure they're just expensive to have on screen.

It really sucks. I wish the wolves were so much more predominant in the show.
While true, if you remember the books, there are quite a number of times where GRMM throws down a "X direwolf was away hunting" during a scene. A pain to write about too.

It's kinda funny how some people were mocking the ''Roose got poisoned'' thingy and in the end it's clear nobody is buying it in the show :lol.

CloudWolf

D&D are such cockblockers. 'No Bran, we won't go into the tower right now'

COME ON!

Had a rewatch of the Umber scene.

I definitely feel they are playing Ramsey. They made a point of not acknowledging him as Warden of the North and not swearing fealty.

The wolfs head seems far, far too small to be that of a direwolf. Perchance it is another, younger dire wolf - the umbers are close to the wall and thus may have come across some.

I also don't see why the Umbers would be scared of the wildlings. They seem to have come in peace and i think they'd be calmly camping.

Osha is there to protect Rickon, if they wanted to betray the Starks the Umbers would have had no problem killing Osha. I think we'll see the Winterfell murders, Osha conducting them.

I got that feeling too, but the Umbers plan doesn't make a lick of sense if that's the case. Why would they put Rickon in such a dangerous position? Ramsay could've beheaded Rickon this episode and Smalljon wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

KahooTs

So Shaggy Dog was killed (presumably) about the same time Jon came good.

Even if BR had no part in reviving Jon it's annoying that he thinks him important enough to go exploring his birth with Bran and at the same time we get no indication of him having any reaction to Jon getting offed and coming back to life. Wouldn't watching that be a little more important just now?

Otherwise, pretty entertaining episode, though the dialogue is clunky. It's just Jaime's character stall that really grinds me, regression. I wonder if they're abandoning his arc of basically taking responsibility for the whole world or if they're going to do it by introducing something particular for him and Cersei to clash over, breaking the relationship and starting him on his path. What to do about Sansa or Arya if they popped up in the south would do it but it doesn't seem like the show is headed that direction.

My thinking that they're just going to morph Tommen and Marge into Aegon and Arianne strengthens with that HS scene. In the books Aegon will take KL and be loved by the Faith and people alike, and then Dany will come and destroy him and make herself Westeros' most hated. Same thing might play out on the show with Tommen becoming loved and supported like Aegon in the books.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No Cat Warg Arya makes me sad. That scene in the book was so awesome.

So Arya only has three people on her list?

And Sophie Turner tweeted before the premiere during the Cast plays two truths and one lie.

“Ramsay dies.”
“Lady Stoneheart returns.”
“Arya checks three people off her list.”

No way Arya kills Cersei or Ser Gregor so Stoneheart in this season?

I don't think Stoneheart's in this season.

If her answers to this truth game are legitimate (I mean, the entire thing might be a lie. She's contractually forbidden from actually spoiling stuff), then that sort of confirms Ramsay, Gregor, and Walder Frey's deaths. Although I'm guessing Arya adds another person to her list and then checks them off because I don't see the writers killing Cersei this season. (also, if Arya kills Gregor, that means no Cleganebowl. Or maybe Gregor kills the Hound in Cleganebowl and then Arya kills Gregor. Or maybe Arya masquerades herself as the Hound and then kills Gregor in the Cleganebowl :O) Cleganebowl.

It could be the Umbers are playing the Boltons for their own purposes without actually trying to help the Starks.

But it's more likely everything is exactly as it seems. Get ready for more Ramsey sadism directed towards a female character. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom