• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I don't think Stoneheart's in this season.

If her answers to this truth game are legitimate (I mean, the entire thing might be a lie. She's contractually forbidden from actually spoiling stuff), then that sort of confirms Ramsay, Gregor, and Walder Frey's deaths. Although I'm guessing Arya adds another person to her list and then checks them off because I don't see the writers killing Cersei this season. (also, if Arya kills Gregor, that means no Cleganebowl. Or maybe Gregor kills the Hound in Cleganebowl and then Arya kills Gregor. Or maybe Arya masquerades herself as the Hound and then kills Gregor in the Cleganebowl :O) Cleganebowl.

I don't think "crossing off her list" means that arya needs to kill them herself

Wvrs

Great episode, although I do think that part of my enjoyment this season is deriving from the fact that it's new stuff I've been waiting to see since I finished reading the books.

Was Robb's Will ever in the show? Now Jon's free of his vows, if Robb's Will names him thus, he'd be free to accede to King in the North.

Moff

pretty good episode, lots of cool stuff

jonathan pryce is a great actor, he totally nails the convincing fanatic
then we had a bunch of great actors we rarely see in the small council, kevan could have been a competent tywin replacement, it's a shame they don't do anything with him

also, that cleganebowl tease, damn, it is going to happen, you know that guys? there's no way around it now. and did they call him sir gregor before? I didn't notice they dropped they whole robert strong charade, not that it matters much.

jon dropping the mic was cool, too. I am still salty we never got the pink letter, though. but D&D knew exactly what monster they created given how long they focused ond olly's dead face, hahaha.

but let's be hones here, this was the episode of the tower of joy and I think it was exceptionally well done. the perfect compromise to satisfy book readers and give the show watchers the important points they need. it was good they spelt it out that someone important needs to be there if the strongest kingsguard fighter is standing guard.
i squealed of joy when it started with the sharpening of the sword and the line "we looked for you on the trident" I almost expected a 1on1 adaption after that. but again, it was well done that way, I feel show watchers understand what's happening there a lot better then when I read it in the book.
I also loved that the reality is a lot less honorful than how it's presented in songs on stories, backstabbing dayne from behind was a very nice touch, imo.
I didn't care much for the dual wielding but I am not so much of a purist that I wanted to see dawn at any cost, it was an exciting fight scene either way and as a whole a lot better than I expected. I expected them to completely fail it but I feel satisfied now.

The thing with the Umbers doesn't make sense. He talks shit to Ramsay about him betraying the Starks and then Umber does the exact same thing by presenting Rickon. There's gotta be something more to that.

jett

D-Member
I'm in the middle of a Wire rewatch and the difference in quality is abysmal. Its kinda sad this thing is so popular. Somebody needs to Make HBO Great Again.

D&D have no imagination of any worth. Their contributions suck balls.

munchie64

I'm in the middle of a Wire rewatch and the difference in quality is abysmal. Its kinda sad this thing is so popular. Somebody needs to Make HBO Great Again.

D&D have no imagination of any worth. Their contributions suck balls.
Reminds me of your contributions to this thread.

SteveWD40

The thing with the Umbers doesn't make sense. He talks shit to Ramsay about him betraying the Starks and then Umber does the exact same thing by presenting Rickon. There's gotta be something more to that.

I would assume so but certain leaks seem to point to them truly backing him (their hate of Wildlings is all that's needed it seems).

We have 5 episodes until the battle, lots of time for Ramsay to toy with Osha and Rickon, I think D&D have battered us over the head enough with how comic book evil Ramsay is, we don't need all this build up.

They seemed to be desperate for another Joffrey but went too far and dragged it far too long, so now people are bored of seeing him constantly winning / being sadistic.

I do think there will be some form of turn, the Manderlys I imagine, not sure how it fits though:

The battle described shows Umber / Bolton forces crushing the Wildings / Jon / Mormonts(?) and then being saved by The Vale Knights.

I guess there may be bits not seen, such as Reed and Manderly forces swooping in also.

It's heavily implied Ramsay makes it to Winterfell with Jon, LF, Sansa and dies there. No great betrayal implied.

I doubt we will have the build up of Boltons being killed / Ramsay being concerned, to build "drama" / make Jon look doomed, it will just be him smirking and looking victorious right until the end.

Moff

I doubt there will be a northern conspirary, there is no north remembers on the show. we have seen that davos will try to convince some northern houses to fight for jon and that's it. at this point the show has never itnroduced anything interesting about the northern houses and it would be wasted screentime to start doing it now. no show watchers cares about the umbers. they have never heard of manderley, it won't happen.
most men will fight for ramsey, a few for jon and that's it.
I do hope that the brotherhood without banners will kill walder frey, though.

Corpekata

Banned
If the Umbers are playing it straight, this episode would've benefited from some Wildling rampaging. Not only would it strengthen his motives, it would also resonate well with the traitors being hanged at the Wall.

Kozak

Banned
Yeah I dont think theres anything to the Umber scene except "times change".

What reason is tbeir to support a Stark? It gets you into a lot of trouble and the Starks have no forces to back you up.

Northerners have always been arrogant, stubborn, brutish and the show hasn't really hidden that either.

Seems normal how Umber talked to Ramsay. Like a "we all know everyones done the wrong thing so lets just accept it and get on with life"

Fealty and honour may be important but war is tiring and doesn't give you time to focus on important things like the Wildling settlement.

Speevy

Banned
If I were a northern house, I would support the Boltons until there was an incentive not to do so.

The problem is that there were no northern houses in seasons 4 and 5...

If I were a northern house, I would support the Boltons until there was an incentive not to do so.

The problem is that there were no northern houses in seasons 4 and 5...

Well they did at least foreshadow House Mormont last season still being Stark loyalists and supposedly Davos will go to them.

I would appreciate if they thought on a longer term and actually namedropped Umbers and such more and not just one episode before they get relevant.

We have 5 episodes until the battle, lots of time for Ramsay to toy with Osha and Rickon

I don't think it will play out like that. It would almost be as boring as this episode.

Instead they'll have Ramsay and Rickon be friends, with Rickon doing wild/evil things to others instead for his amusement.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kinda wish the Snow reveal to Thorne and Ollie was a little more surprising for them. Like, they're already on the gallows, and Edd is doing the final prep. Edd remarks how they're going to die for being traitors, and Thorne retorts with a "whos' going to do it? you?", and then the men part, and Jon Snow comes walking down the middle like a badass.

Saya

Kinda wish the Snow reveal to Thorne and Ollie was a little more surprising for them. Like, they're already on the gallows, and Edd is doing the final prep. Edd remarks how they're going to die for being traitors, and Thorne retorts with a "whos' going to do it? you?", and then the men part, and Jon Snow comes walking down the middle like a badass.

Yeah, I agree. I think it would resolve the arc between them a bit better. It would be cool if we had a shot of Thorne and Ollie surprisingly seeing that Jon was alive. Maybe he could've visited them in the cells before the hanging. I'd rather had that than a few minutes of Tyrion talking with Grey Worm and Missandei.

Santiako

I fought.
I lost.
Now I rest.

Ser Alliser going down like the badass he was, loved his portrayal on the show, the actor killed it.

duckroll

I liked this episode. Not a lot happened, but the things that did are mostly what I like about the show. I love how they even managed to stick a small penis joke into Jon's resurrection. Truly a sign of a classy show. The dialogue is hilariously campy in various spots too. "Your father was a cunt." Lol. Still not buying the Northern betrayal. Not buying Rickon not being part of a grand plan. Not buying that being Shaggydog either. Something's up.

Btw, is the Dorthraki thing canon to the books, or do we simply not know yet? I thought they didn't build cities or hold lands. Having some sort of secret city to return to seems totally out of odds with their culture...

Btw, is the Dorthraki thing canon to the books, or do we simply not know yet? I thought they didn't build cities or hold lands. Having some sort of secret city to return to seems totally out of odds with their culture...

Yeah it comes up a lot. She has been there before.

Basically it is their own city where they do their stuff like trade without killing each other before nomading on their merry way again.

Kozak

Banned
I seriously think Thorne wouldn't have been surprised haha.

But ye heaps cool character. Never felt be was evil. Just stubborn in his views and a huge agenda against Snow fueling his views.

I liked this episode. Not a lot happened, but the things that did are mostly what I like about the show. I love how they even managed to stick a small penis joke into Jon's resurrection. Truly a sign of a classy show. The dialogue is hilariously campy in various spots too. "Your father was a cunt." Lol. Still not buying the Northern betrayal. Not buying Rickon not being part of a grand plan. Not buying that being Shaggydog either. Something's up.

It's their trade/cultural Mecca. Where fighting is against the rules. It isn't a secret by any means.

Apt101

I fought.
I lost.
Now I rest.

Ser Alliser going down like the badass he was, loved his portrayal on the show, the actor killed it.

That was touching. Love the character or hate him, he was just doing what he thought was right. A common trope but like you mentioned the actor did it justice.

Damerman

Yeah it comes up a lot. She has been there before.

Basically it is their own city where they do their stuff like trade without killing each other before nomading on their merry way again.
Killing in the city or even having a weapon is blasphemous. In vaes dothrak, all dothraki are one kahlasar.

SteveWD40

That was touching. Love the character or hate him, he was just doing what he thought was right. A common trope but like you mentioned the actor did it justice.

Agreed. Owen Teale is one of my favourite character actors, he played an ex SAS Mercenary in Spooks once and that was a stand-out for the series as far as guest actors go.

I loved how he played Thorne, just when you were growing to like him (not defending Slynt) he dropped another dick-bomb (letting Sam know he is fucked).

Complex guy.

clemenx

Banned
I'm kinda want to believe that Umber is playing Ramsey but I can't let go of the fact that it makes no sense as a plan putting Rickon and Osha in such danger. He could have killed them both right there and it wouldn't have been out of character.

Also, maybe I'm dumb but what's a male Stark of use for Ramsay if he doesn't kill him at once?

rando14

Yo Arthur Dayne tho

Even though he dual wielded (Dawn gets no respect), that was a dope fight. I was hoping there'd be all 3 Kingsguard though, wanted to see Gerold Hightower

That reminds me, have they even mentioned House Hightower in the show?

are we supposed to believe that ser gerold hightower is delivering jon?

Oh yeah I guess he could be in the tower, I just assumed it would just be Lyanna and some midwife or something

Sayad

I'm kinda want to believe that Umber is playing Ramsey but I can't let go of the fact that it makes no sense as a plan putting Rickon and Osha in such danger. He could have killed them both right there and it wouldn't have been out of character.
It making no sense as a plan is the biggest clue going by other D&D plots, otherwise, yea, don't sea why would the Umber do this to play Ramsey.

I am so unbelievably tired of Ramsay being conveniently gifted everything he needs to keep on being Ramsay. I'd love to believe it was all an Umber conspiracy, but I don't think the showrunners are capable of pulling that off, they'd rather just give Ramsay more larger-than-life villain opportunities. The wolf's head wasn't big enough to be a direwolf I don't think, but maybe they just got lazy.

Yoo... What if Jon is the one who'll be replacing Lady Stoneheart's role for a bit in the TV series?! Passing judgement on whoever he fits has collaborated with the Lannisters and hangs them; Men, women and child. ;\

Yoo... What if Jon is the one who'll be replacing Lady Stoneheart's role for a bit?! Passing judgement on whoever he fits has collaborated with the Lannisters and hangs them; Men, women and child. ;

That seems outside of his personality and character.

Lady stoneheart was legitimately a different person from Cat after she got brought back.

I don't see Jon's arc ever taking him out of the north

rando14

Ya Jon seems like basically the EXACT same guy he was before he died. Still a softy (dude nearly cried when he looked Olly in the eyes)

Only difference is now he's not a Crow

So much for "Kill the boy and let the man be born"

Visceir

Preview talk
Daario and Jorah trying to rescue Dany from freaking Vaes Dothrak seems like a Dorne-level bad idea, doesn't it.

They'll dress up as Dothraki with wigs, makeup and all. Everything goes according to plan, they're just about to rescue Dany when they get spotted by one of the Dothraki leaders and one half of Jorah's fake beard is slowly starting to unglue. Spectacular comedy ensues as they try to 'talk' their way out of it
it'll be greattt!

That seems outside of his personality and character.

Lady stoneheart was legitimately a different person from Cat after she got brought back.

I don't see Jon's arc ever taking him out of the north

Wouldn't need to. There's more than enough traitors in the north for him to take some vengeance before going on to bigger threats with the White walkers afterwards. Replace "Lannister" collaborators with Bolton's and there you have it.

As for his personality and character, that's what would make this drastic change so intense. Giving repercussions to him being resurrected, in the form of some of his sympathy/empathy being snatched away or whatever during the process.

Meier

I think quite a few scenes this episode were a bit cheesy (little birds, Sam, Varys vs Vala and yes even bran's reaction to the backstab during tower of joy). All of these scenes had a bit of an unnatural feel to them.
?!? Backstabbing would honestly be about the worst thing imaginable in that time period. In the pantheon of bad shit, that would top killing an invited guest. Bran's whole life ethos was shaped by the fact his father was super honorable. That would shake him to the core.

Was the scene with Tommen and the High Sparrow the most useless thing this show has ever done?

Yes.
I can't even with some of the people in this thread. He is clearly getting to Tommen and turning him away from his mother and to the faith. It will be about two more episodes at most before Tommen is telling her she should go on trial to cleanse herself. The whole oh my knees thing -- all of it is manipulation and it's working perfectly.

duckroll

?!? Backstabbing would honestly be about the worst thing imaginable in that time period. In the pantheon of bad shit, that would top killing an invited guest. Bran's whole life ethos was shaped by the fact his father was super honorable. That would shake him to the core.

Is that really true? He didn't seem super bothered by it, just surprised. Maybe a little disgusted. I thought the point was that his father told him the story over and over so he was shocked that it didn't quite happen that way. I'm sure if Ned actually told him "this guy was the baddest motherfucker I ever fought, and I would have died if Uncle Howland didn't stab him in the neck from behind at the last moment!" it wouldn't have bothered him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom