• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

The Sandsnake are still part of the Martell house even if their last name is Sand and not Martell

They don't treat bastards harshly in Dorne, but they're still considered illegitimate. Oberyn never married Ellaria, even though she's his lover and a highborn bastard. His kids weren't heirs either. :p

Outside of the useless Small Council scene nothing was too bad this episode. It was a lot of setup but most of it was probably useful setup. I was just glad Dorne wasn't in the episode

PFD

I think the little birds scene was ridiculous and absolutely unnecessary. Makes the whole thing look cheesy

Kind of a boring episode. They dangled TOJ in front of us, only to take it away so they could save it for later. Lots of reiterative dialogue, lots of conversations that didn't go anywhere. I get that D&D have to spend time reminding viewers about the state of things, the first three eps have been both baggy and too concise in the wrong places.

Caveats: I know that the state of events at this point in the books isn't exactly exciting, and that it's difficult to translate the events going on all over the world onto the screen.

Rickon stuff feels like motivation for Ramsay to be relevant to undead Jon. Because otherwise, without Sansa, he's just some tinpot ready to get knocked over by neighboring Northmen.

Where are you, Bronn? We could use some genuine levity, not whatever Tyrion is doing.

ctothej

So Arya only has three people on her list?

And Sophie Turner tweeted before the premiere during the Cast plays two truths and one lie.

“Ramsay dies.”
“Lady Stoneheart returns.”
“Arya checks three people off her list.”

No way Arya kills Cersei or Ser Gregor so Stoneheart in this season?

Do you have a source? I'm pretty shocked HBO would let the cast do this.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yeah, they just need him to be a magical man who lives in an underground treehouse.

Still pisses me off that his visual looks so cheap. He's basically an old man behind some tree branches, i really wanted something like this:
ku-xlarge.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Still pisses me off that his visual looks so cheap. He's basically an old man behind some tree branches, i really wanted something like this:

Yup the effect they use for him is incredibly bad, IMO. Doesn't really look like he is a part of the tree, which is what is intended.

Grief51

Banned
They don't treat bastards harshly in Dorne, but they're still considered illegitimate. Oberyn never married Ellaria, even though she's his lover and a highborn bastard. His kids weren't heirs either. :p

Then who is King/Queen of Dorne now then? With both Doran and Trystane then (in the show) it must mean the oldest Sandsnake inherited the throne even as a bastard.

Or am I missing something? Who is ahead of Obara in the line of succession?

Kusagari

I can't help but feel that this whole Rickon plot is only so Jon has a reason to be pissed at Ramsay in their "epic" bastard showdown we all know is coming.

Cels

three eyed raven is about 130 years old right?

also, what a tease ending the memory after ned rushes into the tower

devilhawk

Had a rewatch of the Umber scene.

I definitely feel they are playing Ramsey. They made a point of not acknowledging him as Warden of the North and not swearing fealty.

The wolfs head seems far, far too small to be that of a direwolf. Perchance it is another, younger dire wolf - the umbers are close to the wall and thus may have come across some.

I also don't see why the Umbers would be scared of the wildlings. They seem to have come in peace and i think they'd be calmly camping.

Osha is there to protect Rickon, if they wanted to betray the Starks the Umbers would have had no problem killing Osha. I think we'll see the Winterfell murders, Osha conducting them.
Yeah, what is the point of bringing Osha or keeping her alive if they truly were Stark traitors?

Gigglepoo

I watched the post-show interviews for the first time.

1) Beniof said that everyone in the kingdom knows about the Tower oj Joy fight. Is that true? For some reason I thought only a few Starks (and maybe Reeds and Daynes) knew.

2) The two confirmed that Jon hasn't changed. That's kinda lame.

Overall, kind of a ho-hum episode outside of ToJ and King's Landing. Sucks they killed off Shaggydog.

Madouu

I think the little birds scene was ridiculous and absolutely unnecessary. Makes the whole thing look cheesy

I think quite a few scenes this episode were a bit cheesy (little birds, Sam, Varys vs Vala and yes even bran's reaction to the backstab during tower of joy). All of these scenes had a bit of an unnatural feel to them.

suzu

Then who is King/Queen of Dorne now then? With both Doran and Trystane then (in the show) it must mean the oldest Sandsnake inherited the throne even as a bastard.

Or am I missing something? Who is ahead of Obara in the line of succession?

The current ruler is probably Ellaria, or Obara if they want to go with the oldest Sandsnake.

The Sandsnakes didn't inherit Dorne. They overthrown the ruling House. There's no line of succession with them in it, because they're not legit Martells. Jon Snow doesn't get to inherit Winterfell if all the Stark kids die just because he's a highborn bastard.

Not that it really matters I guess since the show does whatever. lol

I can't help but feel that this whole Rickon plot is only so Jon has a reason to be pissed at Ramsay in their "epic" bastard showdown we all know is coming.
Which doesn't need to happen in retrospect because i'm sure Jon would have more then enough reason to lay siege to Winterfell and kill Ramsay. On principle alone. Really kind of unneeded to side step and change how the Umbers would really act and are currently acting to make them/him a disillusioned asshole. An off hand their loyalty just because they wildlings may be coming and snow is coming, so they bring Osha and Rickon.

Which they could have used, to get what they wanted regardless of Ramsay. Now D & D will use this so they can have another scene were Ramsay rapes someone or torture some one. I wish they would stop having such a raging hard on for him, at the detriment to the overall story and perfectly fine narrative elements from the books to make one note characters that have zero nuance.

I think Ramsay laid out the northern resistance for us in the last episode.

It's everyone but the Manderlys, Umbers, and Karstarks.

I think the Manderlys may side with the Starks because I haven't seen them in any trailers.

I definately think Manderlys will play a big part since they namedropped them along with Karstarks and Umbers (who both now have been established as the big allies of Boltons). North will remember.

I'm ready to do avatar bet that Manderlys will betray Ramsay and probably save Rickon, as throwaway character as he is I think he won't die. Ramsay will keep him alive to blackmail Sansa+Jon and the lesser northern houses.

edit: And I loved lord Umber, such a badass lol. He knows Ramsay needs him.

jdstorm

Banned
I watched the post-show interviews for the first time.

1) Beniof said that everyone in the kingdom knows about the Tower oj Joy fight. Is that true? For some reason I thought only a few Starks (and maybe Reeds and Daynes) knew.

2) The two confirmed that Jon hasn't changed. That's kinda lame.

Overall, kind of a ho-hum episode outside of ToJ and King's Landing. Sucks they killed off Shaggydog.

1) everyone knows it happened, but the specifics are less known.
Everyone knows Ned and Howland Reid survived an epic battle with 3 of Rheagars best Kingsguard Knights. Then afterwards Ned returned Arthur Daynes sword to his family and at some point had a bastard with a random Dornish woman. Shortly afterward Ashara Dayne supposedly committed Suicide when Ned returned north as they were Rumoured to have been lovers before Ned was forced to marry Kat because his brother died

Kusagari

High Sparrow shit just feels so lame to me.

There's no way the Militant holds up once his ass is dead and there's been about a billion chances to off him.

Shaggydog is dead

There is no fRickon

Umbers have betrayed the Starts

Will be funny if book does the same shit after Ramsay defeats Stannis in the book too

Kozak

Banned
Solid ep.

Things are really moving this season. I like it.

They still haven't figured out a way to make Dany's arc any interesting tho.

Unsure about the Rickon thing.

The threat of the Wildlings is real to people in the North so I imagine it is a problem to the Umbers that Jon's let Wildlings through.

I agree that the head didn't look like a Dire Wolves head and that there's no reason to keep Osha alive. So definitely suspicious.

All you "it's a fake betrayal by the Umbers" people need to learn the meaning of the term "honeypotting".

It's when the watchers of the show can't believe how badly something is done on the show and try to invent a twist that the show writers are planning in order to make what is currently on the show seem better than it is.

It happened with the Talisa is a secret Lannister spy theory back in season 2 and 3. You're doing it again here.

The Umbers betrayed the Starks and killed Shaggydog on the show.

It's stupid, and it sucks, but it's not going to turn into some awesome GNC scenario.

All you "it's a fake betrayal by the Umbers" people need to learn the meaning of the term "honeypotting".

It's when the watchers of the show can't believe how badly something is done on the show and try to invent a twist that the show writers are planning in order to make what is currently on the show seem better than it is.

It happened with the Talisa is a secret Lannister spy theory back in season 2 and 3. You're doing it again here.

The Umbers betrayed the Starks and killed Shaggydog on the show.

It's stupid, and it sucks, but it's not going to turn into some awesome GNC scenario.

Only they could potentially do the same in the books too.

Ramsay defeats Stannis in the books. People see that Ramsay defeated fucking Stannis, the wildling part is still true.

Valhelm

contribute something
High Sparrow shit just feels so lame to me.

There's no way the Militant holds up once his ass is dead and there's been about a billion chances to off him.

I actually prefer the show's Sparrow to the book's. His aggression against characters we don't hate makes him a little more equivocal, and all his added screentime allows for some cool dialogue.

Everyone knows Ned and Howland Reid survived an epic battle with 3 of Rheagars best Kingsguard Knights. Then afterwards Ned returned Arthur Daynes sword to his family and at some point had a bastard with a random Dornish woman. Shortly afterward Ashara Dayne supposedly committed Suicide when Ned returned north as they were Rumoured to have been lovers before Ned was forced to marry Kat because his brother died

Ned and Howland Reed barely survived, and as Ned tells it, it's mostly because Howland outsmarts them--he admits to not being an excellent fighter on many occasions unless they are going to change that for the show. I would say the next part should be followed with a lot of "allegedly's". Ned allegedly had an affair while he was in the south with a woman named Wylla, who we learn was a Wet Nurse at Starfall. Then Ned allegedly took his bastard son back North with him.

The problem is that the timing doesn't really match up for Ned's explanation. This is why a lot of people doubt Jon Snow is actually Ned Stark's son. It's hard to believe that Ned stayed down in Dorne for 9 months without anyone mentioning it, and the fact that 283 AC was the year Robb was born (who is basically the same age as Jon), the year Jon was born, and the year the ToJ happened. Unless Westeros doesn't have years resembling ours (which GRRM has said it does) it's hard to make everything fit. There's also the fact that he mentions Wylla by name to Robert who knew of her, but as far as we know Robert was never in Dorne.

Turin

Banned
Shaggydog. :(

So Rickon and Osha are probably the new Ramsay victims? Fuck that.

Not sure about the sincerity of the Umbers though I did love him going in on Ramsay. I think they're adjusting to the state of affairs and might be compelled to turn on him later on.

Varys getting solo screen time was great.

Jaime is basically just a nicer version of his S1 self right now. Whatever.

I liked the Tower of Joy scene but how long do we have to wait for the Lyanna reveal?

Curious where Sansa and Brienne are entering in the preview. If it's Castle Black then Baelish really did teach her how to teleport. Could be an interesting reunion assuming Jon is still there. I don't think they ever spoke in the show and hardly ever in the book.

Curious if Edd and the others will actually stick with the Nights Watch or say fuck it and join Jon's cause.

Good ep, overall.

I'm so looking forward to another brutal Ramsay rape and torture scene...not.

The poster who said that Rickon will likely be wearing Osha's skin in a cage is probably right on.

That said I hope Martin stays true to his love of subversion and plans to make Rickon a monster on the same level as Ramsay. That seems like something D&D would enjoy including in the show. Rickon enjoying and appreciating Ramsay's sadism would at least make the scenes less boring and predictable.

But still D&D have to include some part of the Northern conspiracy in the show. The Freys being killed and cooked into pies served to the Boltons and other Freys is too awesome for the show to ignore. The question is if the Manderleys are going to do the deed or if it's the Umbers.

Tiktaalik

I've never really understood the obsession with what happened at the Tower of Joy and how it should be shown in the show. The important part is that Jon is a Targaryen. The details of ToJ aren't really relevant to anything. I'd be totally satisfied if the ToJ never appeared and Jon's lineage was revealed in another fashion.

Grief51

Banned
Curious if Edd and the others will actually stick with the Nights Watch or say fuck it and join Jon's cause.
The White Walkers are still a thing. No way the Night's Watch all suddenly break their vows and leave the wall undefended.

They are still bound by an oath after all. It is only Jon who is now free to leave the Watch if he wants to.

Also Bran having the power to seemingly alter the past is crazy. There is no telling how much that could alter the story. I loved Max Von Sadow's reaction to that. He was like "holy shit, wtf just happened, we need to get out of here."

KahooTs

I've never really understood the obsession with what happened at the Tower of Joy and how it should be shown in the show. The important part is that Jon is a Targaryen. The details of ToJ aren't really relevant to anything. I'd be totally satisfied if the ToJ never appeared and Jon's lineage was revealed in another fashion.

The dialogue is particularly great, that aside I feel the same.

ryseing

Outside of the useless Small Council scene nothing was too bad this episode. It was a lot of setup but most of it was probably useful setup. I was just glad Dorne wasn't in the episode

Neither of those scenes were unnecessary, unless you thought KL was only going to be Cersei/HS all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom