• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
Show Ned clearly had a battle upgrade. He kills a kingsgaurd and went toe to toe with Jamie Lannister in his prime. Book Ned would have been cut to pieces and probably didn't put up nearly as good of a fight against Dayne in GRRM's version.

Also....

"They called him the Sword of the Morning, and he would have killed me but for Howland Reed." - Ned to Bran

I guess they changed specifically what Bran knew in the show even though he was aware Howland saved his fathers life.

When it comes to honor, I side with Bronn: Bron.Honor.LOL.Jpg

I'm also a fan of Sir Jorah Mormot: Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died.

This was war. If you're fighting fair, you're doing it wrong. The idea that Ned somehow disgraced himself by surviving a fight against 3 of the best swordsmen in the Seven Kingdoms is laughable. On the Field of Fire how many tens of thousands of Knights and squires burned in the dragons flames? Was that fair? Was that honorable? Chivalry is what the poets sing after the fighting is done. When the corpses are buried and the fires put out and the victors have their say. Ned was a Northman, a people who follow the old ways and eschew the trappings of Knighthood. He rode to end the war for good, and when the Kingsguard (led by their Lord Commander) refused to yield, the only choice left was to kill them. By any means necessary.

I haven't seen much discussion of it buy it needs to be said. The writers have completely regressed Jaimie as a character. In the books matures after losing his hand and turns into a leader worth respecting as he tries to save lives and make peace. That started in Season 3. Since then however, his character has been a lapdog for the most part with the exception of saving Tyrion. And now what's worse is he's acting the polar opposite of his book self. He's advocating "fuck it kill everyone." I am hopeful they will get him headed where he needs to as a character this season but they've wasted so much time moving him in the wrong direction.

hoos30

Does anybody know any production details on the wolves? Like... it's bonkers that Ghost isn't at Jon's heel when he's leaving Castle Black. Are the direwolf fx prohibitively expensive or something?

Absent wolves has been conspicuous for a while, I'm curious if anybody knows is that a artistic choice (?) or a production constraint.

From what we know, yes. That is why they are used sparingly.

hoos30

I haven't seen much discussion of it buy it needs to be said. The writers have completely regressed Jaimie as a character. In the books matures after losing his hand and turns into a leader worth respecting as he tries to save lives and make peace. That started in Season 3. Since then however, his character has been a lapdog for the most part with the exception of saving Tyrion. And now what's worse is he's acting the polar opposite of his book self. He's advocating "fuck it kill everyone." I am hopeful they will get him headed where he needs to as a character this season but they've wasted so much time moving him in the wrong direction.

Jaime moping all over the Riverlands was also not enjoyable.

Kuroyume

Banned
I hope the Hound didn't become a sparrow. I'm okay with the idea of him losing the helmet and throwing that past life away, but I'm not cool if asshole Sandor becoming a brainwashed sparrow. It'll be brainwashed brother vs brainwashed brother. :(

Forkball

That was odd, especially since they name dropped Hightower in the small council scene. There's no way the other knight was "The Bull". People are speculating he's still in the Tower?
It was The Batman Oswell Whent. He says a variation of his line from the book. I think Hightower is in the, uh, tower. Why specifically name drop him after being omitted from the battle?

Also why didn't Ned use Ice? REMEMBER ICE?

"Moping" is reductive and inaccurate. His Riverlands plot transitions him from coping with the loss of his Kingslayer identity to accepting and excelling in his new role as diplomat. It's a transformation for his character played against a transformation for Westeros: winding down the aftermath of the WotFK in that region. His old persona was lost with his hand and otherwise useless in a warless Westeros; the plot shows that his character can and will adapt as necessary - that there is more to him than the Kingslayer. It's great writing and one of my favorite pieces of character development in the novels. To see it discarded - reversed, even - in the show is disappointing, to say the least.

So, (book theory spoiler):

Clegane-bowl is virtually guaranteed at this point, is it not? Just in last night's episode we had:

- Robert Strong's name officially changed back to Gregor
- Cersei making it known that she will demand a trial by combat and will name Gregor her champ
- The Hound's name dropped and his "death" discussed between Arya and the Waif.

tmdorsey

Put in with the group that doesn't like the situation with Rickon, Osha, and Shaggydog at all! It BETTER be a trap by the Umbers and be the start of the Northern Conspiracy.

If it's not then the reasoning by the Umbers to hand over Rickon is just lazy and ridiculous. I mean worrying about the wildlings when we have no indication of them being a threat to the Umbers other than just their mere presence south of The Wall? GTFOH.

As for the question about if it's a ruse why would they turnover the real Rickon? I think it would be more against Ramsey's character to kill a valuable hostage like Rickon right away, than to keep him alive to use as leverage against Sansa and Jon.

dubq

Clegane-bowl is virtually guaranteed at this point, is it not? Just in last night's episode we had:

- Cersei making it known that she will demand a trial by combat and will name Gregor her champ

100% agree

dubq

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203016139]Ned didn't have Ice at that point and there's no evidence that he ever actually fought with it as opposed to just ceremonial use.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Ned would've had Ice at that point since both Rickard and Brandon were dead, and the sword would've passed to Ned.. I do think you're correct that it was only used in ceremonial situations, though. I can't recall if it's mentioned that he used Ice or not during Balon's uprising.

mantidor

I hope the Hound didn't become a sparrow. I'm okay with the idea of him losing the helmet and throwing that past life away, but I'm not cool if asshole Sandor becoming a brainwashed sparrow. It'll be brainwashed brother vs brainwashed brother. :(

Bittersweet ending. :p

I don't get the hype of cleganebowl, ok, I do get it :p, but it delves way too much into fanfiction territory, even more than dreams of Stark revenge or Dany flying into Westerns with Jon and Tyrion riding the other dragons. Their arcs ended, reviving both brothers for one fan-created match is so... lame, them being nothing but shadows of their former selves just seems so fitting for this series, careful what you wish for and all that.

It's kind of like the deal with Olly, I do hope most people are just joking, because that was some bittersweet ending, we wanted revenge for Jon but we get a kid consumed with hate, it was pretty depressing at the end and their executions didn't give me any catharsis.

Henkka

Banned
Halfway through the episode now, it's alright, but... man, the Tyrion scene. It's so dull even the characters are commenting on how they have nothing to do or talk about.

clemenx

Banned

After this episode yeah. If they don't do it after dropping all those hints and knowing how people GET HYPED for this would be such an evil thing to do lol.

I loved Jaime's arc in Feast for Crows. Training with See Illyn and then eventually successfully ending the siege in a peaceful manner. It shows the maturing of his character. Instead of bloodshed, he's ending battles and avoiding violence. And then ultimately he turns his back on Cersei in the end. All of that is part of his process of character development. The show is delivering the polar opposite. He's calling for violence left and right. They started his redemption arc in S3, it was OK in S4, but he's been completely squandered as a character ever since. He needs to start turning on Cersei pronto.

Qurupeke

A fart joke, a penis joke and a cunt joke. I see.

What's the verdict on this season so far?

I gave up near the end of last season, thinking about getting back on the train.

A bit boring on the first episode, a pretty good second one and an okayish third.

I gave up near the end of last season, thinking about getting back on the train.

First episode was decent set up, second episode was balls to the wall and third episode was good.

Upcoming episode sets up
Mario and Luigi saving the Princess in Vaes Dothrak

Henkka

Banned
The first episodes had some really dumb stuff, I guess as a result of the writers speeding to the ending. Third episode was a lot better, at least to the west of Meereen.

RedShift

Screw it, I'm getting back on. Shitty writing be damned, I'm starting to believe this is the only ending we're ever going to get :(

dubq

Show is moving at a fever pace now, and I love it. Episode 1 was definitely weaker, but I feel like with GOT premiere's you almost have to treat Ep 1 & 2 as a two-parter premiere.

mantidor

In terms of writing quality I feel it is still kind of bad, but things are moving at a far faster pace so we are getting story development all over. Acting, music and overall production is good as always.

Turin

Banned

Jaime's arc is arguably the best thing about AFFC.

"Moping" is reductive and inaccurate. His Riverlands plot transitions him from coping with the loss of his Kingslayer identity to accepting and excelling in his new role as diplomat. It's a transformation for his character played against a transformation for Westeros: winding down the aftermath of the WotFK in that region. His old persona was lost with his hand and otherwise useless in a warless Westeros; the plot shows that his character can and will adapt as necessary - that there is more to him than the Kingslayer. It's great writing and one of my favorite pieces of character development in the novels. To see it discarded - reversed, even - in the show is disappointing, to say the least.

He's basically S1 Jaime, just nicer.

I've said it before but I don't think D&D dislike Jaime the way they seemed to dislike Stannis. They just like their version of Cersei, who I do prefer to the book version, a lot more.

Screw it, I'm getting back on. Shitty writing be damned, I'm starting to believe this is the only ending we're ever going to get :(

It's more enjoyable so far and each episode seems to be building toward something.

Not sure what point you quit at but you need to see 'Hardhome' if you haven't already.

RedShift

Jaime's arc is arguably the best thing about AFFC.

He's basically S1 Jaime, just nicer.

I've said it before but I don't think D&D dislike Jaime the way they seemed to dislike Stannis. They just like their version of Cersei, who I do prefer to the book version, a lot more.

It's more enjoyable so far and each episode seems to be building toward something.

Not sure what point you quit at but you need to see 'Hardhome' if you haven't already.

Hardhome was the last episode I watched. Then I saw spoilers for the bullshit that was gonna happen in the next episode and gave up.

These three episodes have been so much better than any run of series 5 episodes, it's laughable. Only Hardhome-The Dance of Dragons-Mother's Mercy comes close, and those have big, pivotal action scenes in their favour. In every other sense (writing, direction, acting, progression, scope) series 6 embarrasses series 5 on the evidence thus far.

There are silly, daft things, but they're not even slightly as overwhelming as last year, and there have been significant things which they could easily have botched which they absolutely didn't.

What was up with Arthur Dayne saying the exact same line as Mance Rayder "I wish you good fortune in the wars to come"

Could there have been something there? Could be a nod to the Mance/ Rhaegar theories?

Brakke

Banned
What was up with Arthur Dayne saying the exact same line as Mance Rayder "I wish you good fortune in the wars to come"

Could there have been something there? Could be a nod to the Mance/ Rhaegar theories?

I mean. They speak a common language, they have common idioms / salutations.

You might be right in that Ned may have taken the black or something instead of having himself hanged for treachery, but the entire point of this was to show that Ned's persona as an infallible hero was not totally accurate in real life. He was a human just like everyone else. But the Stark boys had been raised to view him as more than that. It also was meant to drive home that looking into the past wouldn't always be a positive thing.

Ned didn't stab anyone the back. The idea that he should have killed himself or gone to the Night's Watch because someone in his party stabbed someone in the back during a melee is utterly absurd.

Mr Git

A fart joke, a penis joke and a cunt joke. I see.

I am a puerile child because all three got a rise from me. The latter I thought was good for the character of the far-northerners - and the illegitimacy of Ramsay's claim. That is how people speak where I'm from, but despite all his nefarious shite, Ramsay still speaks like a Lord. I hope it is a conspiracy plot.

Nodnol

Steady but good episode.

I know others disagree, but I thought they got young Ned spot on. Liked the whole of ToJ scene, irrespective of the changes.

Can't complain about much. D&D gunna D&D, but apart from Dorne, this season has been rock solid IMO, so far.

Show Ned clearly had a battle upgrade. He kills a kingsgaurd and went toe to toe with Jamie Lannister in his prime. Book Ned would have been cut to pieces and probably didn't put up nearly as good of a fight against Dayne in GRRM's version.

Book Ned never actually lost a fight that we saw, and the only one we know of that he was losing was against Dayne. He downplayed his abilities but even Barristan respected them.

Oh, boy. This was mostly bad. Why openly name Robert Strong as Ser Gregor?

Because the idea of anyone buying that he's just some anonymous 8' tall giant who just randomly appeared as Cersei's bodyguard right after Westeros' only other 8' tall giant was carried off by Cersei's mad scientist was always retarded.

studyguy

Just subbed to the thread, I keep posting in the non-book on accident, mundane unimportant stuff but it's not good. God damn I feel like an idiot.

There isn't any need for them to hide Gregor's identity in the show since they never proclaim him dead like in the books. It's just another part of Dorne storyline that was removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom