• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone GIF the last scene of the episode so that Jon walks up the stairs and that sign that says "Traitor" is there.

Eidan

The fact that season one is so well written and directed still is mindblowing, that season is the blueprint for how it should have continued. Structurally speaking.
Season 1 adapted AGOT, the most concise, coherent, and satisfying entry in the series. There was no way a sprawling mess like AFFC could be adapted as easily.

Gigglepoo

It is the lowest rated season of all, believe it or not.

That makes sense, though. People thought it looked dumb. And then word got out that the show was really good. So people watched. Rating are like a boulder rolling downhill. With more people watching there was more media coverage and then more people watched and now you can't even go grocery shopping without being spoiled about Jon's resurrection.

Season 1 adapted AGOT, the most concise, coherent, and satisfying entry in the series. There was no way a sprawling mess like AFFC could be adapted as easily.

Certainly not by a creative team that wants major twists and characters dying in every episode.

Do people think its coincidence that season 5 was shit when it was attempting to adapt what was by far the most rambling, jumbled book in the series? I'm not excusing the decisions D&D made, but there was a reason season 5 was such a mess: so was the source novel.

Gigglepoo

Do people think its coincidence that season 5 was shit when it was attempting to adapt what was by far the most rambling, jumbled book in the series? I'm not excusing the decisions D&D made, but there was a reason season 5 was such a mess: so was the source novel.

But it was extremely different from the novel. D&D took the story in a different direction that was often terrible.

Moff

I would even go so far and say that season 5, despite all it's flaws introduced by D&D, had a lot better reception than AFFC/ADWD.

personally, season 1 and 4 are my favourites, and they are based on my favourite books of the series and I don't think that's a coincidence.
on the other hand, I like season 6, so maybe TWOW will be a decent book again as well?

Eidan

Most would say that there were better ways to adapt that garbage fire. Their suggestions typically are just standard book purist adherence to the source material, replacing the mess of the show's creation with the mess created by Martin.

FootballFan

Well, then they should have cut everything that was not concise, coherent or satisfying and attempted to identify, extract and build upon plots, characters and motivations that made sense.

Speevy

Banned
I have to imagine at least one person writing the show uttered something along these lines

"But Sansa doesn't even know Ramsay. We have to give her a reason to want to get back at him."

I wish I could Bran-o-vision back to that meeting and scream at this person.

Eidan

Well, then they should have cut everything that was not concise, coherent or satisfying and attempted to identify, extract and build upon plots, characters and motivations that made sense.
Which is what they're doing now, and it's honestly a marked improvement.

Speevy

Banned

Eh, that's not entirely what they're doing now. It's certainly a leaner show and I like getting important stories in every episode, but the motivations are still dumb.

They just had a small council meeting for no reason other than to say that the Mountain was creepy and the Martells are dead.

Then Davos becomes a believer in the lord of light.

Instead of trying to start a new life for himself, Theon is trying to reconnect with the family that treated him like dirt.

The season is already 10 miles ahead of season 5, but it's still messy, and it's because of things that are so easily avoidable with a little more attention paid to small details.

FootballFan

Eh, that's not entirely what they're doing now. It's certainly a leaner show and I like getting important stories in every episode, but the motivations are still dumb.

They just had a small council meeting for no reason other than to say that the Mountain was creepy and the Martells are dead.

Instead of trying to start a new life for himself, Theon is trying to reconnect with the family that treated him like dirt.

The season is already 10 miles ahead of season 5, but it's still messy, and it's because of things that are so easily avoidable with a little more attention paid to small details.

yes

News Bot

Banned

There is a very noticeable decline in quality of the writing now that they have veered from the source material. I say this as someone who saw the show first and didn't have any issues with it until season five. While this season has a few good parts so far, there is still a lot of hackneyed writing and a metric fuckton of contrivance.

diunxx

So sick of this shit, a lot of the quality issues with the latest seasons are the result of dumb changes they have been doing since the second season, not to mention that AFFC and ADWD are leagues better than the shit we been getting from D&D.

NeoGiff

I think we all need to lighten up.

W8tZzQ9.gif

FootballFan

So sick of this shit, a lot of the quality issues with the latest seasons are the result of dumb changes they have been doing since the second season, not to mention that AFFC and ADWD are leagues better than the shit we been getting from D&D.

I also do not understand the apologist stance people take for DnD

Yes.

Moff

I also do not understand the apologist stance people take for DnD

I don't understand the apologist stance people take for AFFC and ADWD.

when I read AFFC I feared ASOIAF was done and ADWD confirmed that, one mediocre book is forgivable, two means the writer lost his touch and the series is done for good, especially and definitely with that much time between them.
without the show it would have ended in mediocrity if it was even ever finished.

I did hope season 5 would be better than those 2 books, D&D tried to save it and failed as well. I still think it should have been possible to make one good season with all the rare good stuff from those 2000 pages, so D&D definitely share the blame. but not alone.

I thought the Tower of Joy sequence on the show as done really well. All three flashbacks have been great. The fight was pretty cool and the tease at the end didn't feel cheap at all. We're in Bran's shoes. Shut up, old man, and let me see what's in the tower! Now show watchers and book readers are chomping at the bit for when we return to that scene.

And I don't expect the show to have any major themes considering how they struggle to even make basic plot elements make sense. While the book is strongly anti-war the books will be content to have a kickass fight sequence one moment while lamenting the folly of war in another. It is what it is.

Beyond the tone, I think my main issue with the Bran scenes as cool as they are, is that they are so pedestrian. We see a scene, then Bran shows up. In the books it kind of feels like a bit of a fever dream for him. Show context. For example in the Tower of Joy scene, why not show the Trident, with bodies everywhere? Why not a shot of Jamie stabbing the king? Robert sitting the throne? It needn't be much, just quick flashes as Bran gets to where he is going in the timeline. It would provide context, and could help set the tone before the scene.

absolutely, but saying the scene is butchered or D&D didn't take all the should have is "stannis did not nod hard enough" level of silly purist criticism.

the tower of joy's whole point is that the readers are supposed to wonder why the best knights of the realm were not at the battles they could have turned ("woe to the usurper if we had been") but were guarding whatever is in that tower. if you think the scenes main point was to show the futility of the war you are out of your mind, it's a minor detail at best compared to the sagas biggest secret and twist.

The problem is, they missed half of what made the scene so haunting in the book. It wasn't about the swordfighting, it was about the mystery and the futility. Ned has to kill (or try) the brother of the supposed love of his life. The Kingsgaurd know that their war is over, and that because of their mission, they were unable to do anything about it, but they refuse to fail, even against poor odds. By this point in time they SHOULD be able to talk it out, but too much has happened. That is what the scene is missing.

absolutely, but TV shows and books work completely differently, that's why side characters are reduced to silly stereotypes when they are fleshed out completely in the books and why we don't get the war theme at the tower of joy. and this is not just about screentime, it's about how much the audience can process from so many important events in a huge fantasy world. that's why we got extra tits&dragons since season 1 while they omitted cool details we would all have loved to see on screen, me included. but the brain just needs to relax from time to time to process the most important plot points and that works best while seeing some sex and violence in a moment where the reader would put the book aside and think a moment about what they read. you can't just bombard the audience 10 hours a season with only important complicated and multi-themed and -layered scenes.

You are far and a way selling TV short. Game of Thrones isn't on The CW. Shows have done amazing character work and gotten consistent motivations and plots. Just because this is fantasy does not excuse turning Loras into a gay stereotype, or regressing Jamie back to his Season 1 persona.

cj_iwakura

Beyond the tone, I think my main issue with the Bran scenes as cool as they are, is that they are so pedestrian. We see a scene, then Bran shows up. In the books it kind of feels like a bit of a fever dream for him. Show context. For example in the Tower of Joy scene, why not show the Trident, with bodies everywhere? Why not a shot of Jamie stabbing the king? Robert sitting the throne? It needn't be much, just quick flashes as Bran gets to where he is going in the timeline. It would provide context, and could help set the tone before the scene.

The problem is, they missed half of what made the scene so haunting in the book. It wasn't about the swordfighting, it was about the mystery and the futility. Ned has to kill (or try) the brother of the supposed love of his life. The Kingsgaurd know that their war is over, and that because of their mission, they were unable to do anything about it, but they refuse to fail, even against poor odds. By this point in time they SHOULD be able to talk it out, but too much has happened. That is what the scene is missing.

I agree with this. It felt like a badass sword fight, not the melancholic event it is in the book. The only thing I enjoyed was the reveal that Ned didn't actually win.

At this point, apart from Areo Hotah, every 'major' death just feels like another corpse on the pile. I was barely surprised by Roose's demise.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So who do you think will die next episode? Someone's obviously biting it every episode.

I'm gonna put my money down on Jorah or Daario. Daario especially seems extra useless and the exact sort of character HBO would kill off right now.

Speevy

Banned
So who do you think will die next episode? Someone's obviously biting it every episode.

I'm gonna put my money down on Jorah or Daario. Daario especially seems extra useless and the exact sort of character HBO would kill off right now.

Daario is definitely dying this season, but I don't know about next episode. I think Yara will probably die in one of the next two episodes.

I agree with this. It felt like a badass sword fight, not the melancholic event it is in the book. The only thing I enjoyed was the reveal that Ned didn't actually win.

At this point, apart from Areo Hotah, every 'major' death just feels like another corpse on the pile. I was barely surprised by Roose's demise.

It's like if given a choice between 'SHOCKING!", badass, or deep. They choose the first two all the damn time. Missing the fact, that the reason that the shocking moments in Season 1-3.5 worked is because there was real depth behind them. I like a good action scene as much as the next guy, but it needs a reason to be there. At least we got that in the ToJ scene.

But now it's all about the shock value, and not about the storytelling. Also, are you saying you liked the Hotah death?

Yeah definitely agree as well. The show has not been rising to the occasion this season. Every major scene has felt completely hollow. Happened with:

• Roose's death
  • Jon Snow's resurrection
  • ToJ

They swell the music, throw in some dramatic camera angles, maybe some hammy fight choreography, and expect the audience to be impressed. But there's no emotional impact or meaning there. It's just an empy shell.

Moff

You are far and a way selling TV short. Game of Thrones isn't on The CW. Shows have done amazing character work and gotten consistent motivations and plots. Just because this is fantasy does not excuse turning Loras into a gay stereotype, or regressing Jamie back to his Season 1 persona.

I don't think I am selling tv short because I am not saying game of thrones is the best show ever. it's obviously very flawed. especially when it comes to consistent motivations. but that's not what we are talking about here when it comes to the tower of joy, I think the motivations of every character in the tower of joy scene were very clear.
no, it's about that a TV show simply can't and must not convey every theme in every multi-layered scene from the books that may have been important to some of the book readers. it would become overwhelming in a short time and wither only book readers could follow the plot or a season would be 100 hours long. D&D obviously did not aim for that, they streamlined the story to the point where it was still attractive for the biggest possible audience and they succeeded at that.

I am certainly not saying success equals quality, I don't believe in that generally and it's certainly not the case with game of thrones, but I still think it's super silly to say they failed the tower of joy because they didn't include the "war sucks" theme.

FootballFan

I don't understand the apologist stance people take for AFFC and ADWD.

when I read AFFC I feared ASOIAF was done and ADWD confirmed that, one mediocre book is forgivable, two means the writer lost his touch and the series is done for good, especially and definitely with that much time between them.
without the show it would have ended in mediocrity if it was even ever finished.

I did hope season 5 would be better than those 2 books, D&D tried to save it and failed as well. I still think it should have been possible to make one good season with all the rare good stuff from those 2000 pages, so D&D definitely share the blame. but not alone.
I am not defending AFFC or ADWD(great book btw), they both have problems but it's the job of these writers to make sure that what they decide to move from page to screen is appropriate and that it makes sense. Do you agree?

Like you said, there is in fact enough great material in those books to create great scenes that make a great season, instead they focused on the wrong things and backtracked as fast as they could.

Dorne should have entirely been cut, Jaime should have gone into the riverlands to deal with the fallout from the red wedding for example. The brotherhood should have been included as should the Blackfish. Characters we have seen and known for a while at that stage.

The Manderly scene with Davos and the Freys in ADWD alone was fantastic. Speaking of the Freys, after season 3 they should have had much more focus placed upon them or at least mentioned more often. They killed Robb and Cat, yet we have barely heard or seen anything in regards to how they have progressed or regressed in the show as a family or political force.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

That's what I was thinking too. So far we have:

Episode 1: Prince Doran, Areo Hotah, Trystane
Episode 2: Roose, Walda, Balon
Episode 3: Alliser Thorne, Ollie, Shaggydog:(

They'll probably make a point to kill at least one notable character in each episode this season.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Daario is definitely dying this season, but I don't know about next episode. I think Yara will probably die in one of the next two episodes.
I can't see Daario surviving past them encountering the Dothraki so his number is up wherever that happens.

Yara is also doomed this season. But she's probably a late season death to further traumatize Theon. Plus
we know from the trailer that she at least makes it off the Iron Islands

That too

FootballFan

Tower of Joy scene was okay.. The Ned impersonator was miscast, other than that maybe him mentioning his sister is a line that should not have made to screen as the content of the tower should have remained more mysterious until the next scene/episode for the big reveal.

Gigglepoo

That's what I was thinking too. So far we have:

Episode 1: Prince Doran, Areo Hotah, Trystane
Episode 2: Roose, Walda, Balon
Episode 3: Alliser Thorne, Ollie

They'll probably make a point to kill at least one notable character in each episode this season.

You forgot the biggest death: Shaggydog

cj_iwakura

It's like if given a choice between 'SHOCKING!", badass, or deep. They choose the first two all the damn time. Missing the fact, that the reason that the shocking moments in Season 1-3.5 worked is because there was real depth behind them. I like a good action scene as much as the next guy, but it needs a reason to be there. At least we got that in the ToJ scene.

But now it's all about the shock value, and not about the storytelling. Also, are you saying you liked the Hotah death?

Nope, but it shocked me, I audibly screamed 'NO!'.

Atlantis

Preview spoilers

Whose gate is Sansa going through? I say Mormonts or Manderlys.

Copy and paste from earlier.

It's gotta be Castle Black.

Brienne's pre-season promo shot seems to show her standing in front of the door Alliser and co. tried to break down and we saw a shot of Sansa present at the Wildling/Bolton battle in one of the season trailers. If they don't reunite next episode, it's still coming eventually.

ToJ was okay, more spectacle than I pictured it when reading AGoT. I imagined it being much darker, somber and melancholy. I always pictured the 6 with Ned being his closest friends, whom he fought alongside for the entirety of the war. Was hoping for some reaction to their deaths.

Disappointed by the lack of Dawn and Hightower, despite Hightower being mentioned in the episode. Hopefully he's inside the tower.

When Arthur Dayne wished Ned luck for the wars to come, anyone thinking he knew about Rhaegar's prophecy and believed in it? He was wishing Ned luck for the impeding others?

Gigglepoo

I don't understand the apologist stance people take for AFFC and ADWD

I'm just curious, did you read them more then once? Because neither clicked for me the first time I read them, but when I re-read the series last year, I really loved where Martin took the story. And my appreciation grew when I dove into theories and analysis. Listening to podcasts like History of Westeros and especially Radio Westeros showed how much I had missed and cemented my love of them.

But the first time through? I was mostly meh on them.

I'm just curious, did you read them more then once? Because neither clicked for me the first time I read them, but when I re-read the series last year, I really loved where Martin took the story. And my appreciation grew when I dove into theories and analysis. Listening to podcasts like History of Westeros and especially Radio Westeros showed how much I had missed and cemented my love of them.

This was definitely my experience with AFFC. I haven't gotten around to ADWD reread yet. Although it'll take some sort of miracle to make me like most of those Dany chapters.

The thing is AFFC/ADWD is really just one massive book, not two. It's pretty much a character study and a look at the aftermath of war and the difficulty of ruling. We have 3 parallel stories about fucking up while ruling in Jon, Dany, and Cersei. We have Tyrion, Jaime, Sam, Quentyn, and Brienne on journeys, trying to figure out who they are absent their own personal safety nets. We have Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Theon trying to hold on to their identities. Then we have the piece movement and scene setting of Davos, Melisandre, Barristan, Connington, the Dornish, and the Ironborn. Each of which ties in thematically to at least one of the other major themes.

They really are great books, but I do get some of the frustration, especially because of all the cliffhangers. The Battle of Ice at least should have been in the book,

devilhawk

Some of this could be explained by understanding what D&D are truly privy to.

It will be interesting, after the show and books have concluded, to look back at the plots of Dorne, Ironborn, and Aegon and tease out what was emphasized and what should have been.

Gigglepoo

They really are great books, but I do get some of the frustration, especially because of all the cliffhangers. The Battle of Ice at least should have been in the book,

Excellent post. Even seeing you spell out the personal battles each character is undergoing makes me excited about the story. It's an incredibly complex puzzle that fits in beautifully with the theme of "a heart in conflict with itself" that Martin is so drawn to.

As to the above quote, I totally understand this criticism. I do like spending so much time just putting characters in place to cause serious change, but ending right as two battles are about to start was tough to deal with. We have so much pent up anticipation that to not give us a release is kind of mean. Plus, Jon died, Dany is surrounded by a strange Khal, and Jamie is being lead to Lady Stoneheart.

Ach!

It's why I think Winds is going to be much closer to the fast pacing found in Storm. It almost had to be. It's going to be one major event after another until the book ends with the Wall coming down (or another massive event). He really left off just as things were getting crazy.

Question,

Am I remembering incorrectly, or was it kind of a big deal in the books when you find out the "little birds" are kids?

I feel like it was just nonchalantly thrown into Episode 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom