• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
you apparently want us to guess but you are talking about the tower of joy? I expected them to butcher it but I was very pleasantly surprised, just like with the rest of the season so far. what didn't you like about it? that its "nothing" is already objectively wrong.

Yep, Tower of Joy. The dialogue part was too short. They didn't give the viewer enough information. The dialogue failed to capture the sad mood or feeling of importance of the scene, so it was just Ned fighting two guys with swords. That to me is a nothing scene. It really needed "our knees do not bend easily", "the Kingsguard does not flee", and "our false brother would burn in seven hells" to build atmosphere and to let you know something more about the people than that they're just great fighters.

No mention that they were the Kingsguard. No mention that their King had just been killed by Jaime. No mention that had been expected to bend the knee or flee with Viserys.

I don't see how viewers who haven't read the books or studied the show would know who Ned was fighting or why. I don't know why they would care about that fight.

You said you were expecting them to butcher it. I was expecting them to get a easy home run. :( The lines are already written for them. How could they screw it up?

Also, Sean Bean should have been Ned again.

Showaddy

Show version was fine bearing in mind they're going so much further with it. I'm guessing we'll get a lot more exposition than just "promise me Ned" inside the tower as well.

Speevy

Banned
Show version was fine bearing in mind they're going so much further with it. I'm guessing we'll get a lot more exposition than just "promise me Ned" inside the tower as well.

Ned just pokes his head in and grabs Jon.

"Promise me Ned."

"Okay."

"We have to go now Bran."

mantidor

I'm pretty sure the show has had Varys paying off kids here and there in past seasons.

Nope.

We had Ned and Littlefinger walking down the garden and him pointing out who are his birds and who are Varys', and it included kids, people cleaning, and even septas. Then you have the kid who gives Jorah his pardon I guess, but it's never explicitly stated his birds are kids.

I certainly hope it is another ruse (which tells a lot, again hoping for another ruse), because if Varys' little birds are so easy to spot and find and buy back with sweets he sucked at his job and we know that is pretty much absurd.

devilhawk

Yep, Tower of Joy. The dialogue part was too short. They didn't give the viewer enough information. The dialogue failed to capture the sad mood or feeling of importance of the scene, so it was just Ned fighting two guys with swords. That to me is a nothing scene. It really needed "our knees do not bend easily", "the Kingsguard does not flee", and "our false brother would burn in seven hells" to build atmosphere and to let you know something more about the people than that they're just great fighters.

No mention that they were the Kingsguard. No mention that their King had just been killed by Jaime. No mention that had been expected to bend the knee or flee with Viserys.

I don't see how viewers who haven't read the books or studied the show would know who Ned was fighting or why. I don't know why they would care about that fight.

You said you were expecting them to butcher it. I was expecting them to get a easy home run. :( The lines are already written for them. How could they screw it up?

Also, Sean Bean should have been Ned again.
Direct quotes from the scene:
"The Mad King is dead."
"Why weren't you there to protect your prince?"

Speevy

Banned
I think the problem of this show's writing is exacerbated by the fact that D and D want everyone to talk like "regular people". The goal is noble, except that they can't write natural conversations without these unwelcome characterizations cropping up in the dialogue.

They should assign certain characters as "talking books" so they can completely recite line by line what is said in the books. Then the less educated characters can talk like commoners and say stuff like "I'VE NEVAH HAD A QUEEN SUCK MY COCK BEFORE!" or whatever.

Gigglepoo

I certainly hope it is another ruse (which tells a lot, again hoping for another ruse), because if Varys' little birds are so easy to spot and find and buy back with sweets he sucked at his job and we know that is pretty much absurd.

Well, they already turned Littlefinger into a rube with lady season's Sansa's plot so it's Varys' turn to revealed as a bumbling schemer.

Lothar

Banned
Direct quotes from the scene:
"The Mad King is dead."
"Why weren't you there to protect your prince?"

The people I was watching it with were like "What prince? Is Ned coming to kill them because they didn't protect a prince?"

Those quotes are not good enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying seeing where the story is going after all these years, but the actual show itself just seems to be progressing too quickly. They've packed these "shock" moments a bit too densely in each episode. It feels like I'm playing the Telltale GOT game or something with all of these characters just getting thrown away as if their deaths are supposed to be impactful despite having such little time on screen.

All this is just making me want the book version sooner than later (heh).

devilhawk

The people I was watching it with were like "What prince? Is Ned coming to kill them because they didn't protect a prince?"

Haha. The line before it specifically mentions Rhaegar. The line after has Ned ask about his sister.

I don't know what to tell you. All the non-book readers I was with had no issue understanding outside of questions of what's in the tower.

cj_iwakura

Enjoying seeing where the story is going after all these years, but the actual show itself just seems to be progressing too quickly. They've packed these "shock" moments a bit too densely in each episode. It feels like I'm playing the Telltale GOT game or something with all of these characters just getting thrown away as if their deaths are supposed to be impactful despite having such little time on screen.

All this is just making me want the book version sooner than later (heh).

Either they really are ending this next season(which feels oddly possible), or they are out for blood.

As for ToJ, the dialogue in the scene was fine, I think it was too... overscored? They wanted it to be a bombastic action piece, but I think it would have been stronger without music, or something more solemn.

I also pictured the Kingsguard as being more lithe and less built.

Interesting discussion about the books and the show, that's why I like this place so much.
So who do you think will die next episode? Someone's obviously biting it every episode.

I'm gonna put my money down on Jorah or Daario. Daario especially seems extra useless and the exact sort of character HBO would kill off right now.
I wouldn't mind if the Sand Snakes bite it.

Madness

Don't know why so many are thinking this is some vast Northern conspiracy to restore Rickon to Winterfell. This is the show. After what we just saw in Dorne, are you surprised? GRRM wasn't really doing snything with Rickon so the show is utilizing him to up the stakes between the Jon Snow vs Ramsay fight before the White Walkers smash down the Wall.

If they wanted to do a ruse, they would have used a commoner and not the little Lord knowing how dangerous Ramsay is. He even said how would he know it is him. Most likely he'll rape Osha, torture Rickon before killing him. We know from the show and books that those who lose their direwolves or turn away from them suffer bad luck. Sansa, Robb etc. Their direwolves represent them.

Getting tired of how conveniently overpowered Ramsay is. More luck than a leprechaun.

mantidor

Well, they already turned Littlefinger into a rube with lady season's Sansa's plot so it's Varys' turn to revealed as a bumbling schemer.

ugh I still try to pretend none of winterfell season 5 happened.

I'm more hopeful for this one, the scene cuts from Varys saying he never trust men and only his birds, clear forshadowing, and also (spoilers from first trailer)
here at this timestamp (slow down the video) we see what appears to be Varys' kids killing someone, at first when the trailer was released people assume it was going to be Kevan or Pycelle but it can also be Qyburn at this point.

cj_iwakura

Don't know why so many are thinking this is some vast Northern conspiracy to restore Rickon to Winterfell. This is the show. After what we just saw in Dorne, are you surprised? GRRM wasn't really doing snything with Rickon so the show is utilizing him to up the stakes between the Jon Snow vs Ramsay fight before the White Walkers smash down the Wall.

If they wanted to do a ruse, they would have used a commoner and not the little Lord knowing how dangerous Ramsay is. He even said how would he know it is him. Most likely he'll rape Osha, torture Rickon before killing him. We know from the show and books that those who lose their direwolves or turn away from them suffer bad luck. Sansa, Robb etc. Their direwolves represent them.

Getting tired of how conveniently overpowered Ramsay is. More luck than a leprechaun.

This is Ramsay's downfall, there's no way around it. They're setting him up, then Jon's going to bring him down.

Lothar

Banned
Haha. The line before it specifically mentions Rhaegar. The line after has Ned ask about his sister.

I don't know what to tell you. All the non-book readers I was with had no issue understanding outside of questions of what's in the tower.

You really think all non-book readers remember who Rhaegar is?

Kozak

Banned
This is Ramsay's downfall, there's no way around it. They're setting him up, then Jon's going to bring him down.

Isn't the assumption that it will be Boltons + Umbers + Karstarks vs Jon + Smaller Northern Houses and then Littlefinger saves the day?

Flaying Rickon and putting him on display seems to be a good way to set that all off.

btrboyev

Isn't the assumption that it will be Boltons + Umbers + Karstarks vs Jon + Smaller Northern Houses and then Littlefinger saves the day?

Flaying Rickon and putting him on display seems to be a good way to set that all off.

I personally think we are going to see Roose on the flay stakes personally. Jon ain't fucking around no more.

Lothar

Banned
My god man, it was pretty explicit in how it was said.

But sure, keep asking that Ned hold a powerpoint presentation detailing Targ lineage and players prior to the fight. Sounds great.

Or just have better dialogue like the book had.

Why say
"The Mad King is dead" when

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

would refresh everyone's memory on the story and tell the audience it was their king without needing them to connect the dots and assuming knowledge of Rhaegar.

Turin

Banned
For what it's worth, GRRM's pointed out that Ned's account of the Tower of Joy was in the context of a fever dream and isn't entirely accurate.

Tyreny

Why say

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

would refresh everyone's memory on the story and tell the audience it was their king without needing them to connect the dots and assuming knowledge of Rhaegar.

That's exactly the kind of watered down for TV, condescending tone that a lot of us appreciate being spared (mostly).

Eidan

Why say

Haha this is hilarious. This shit is bordering on parody at this point.

jerry113

Banned
giphy.gif

Really liked the actor who played Dayne. He made a big impression in the few scenes he's in, and I'm not just talking about the ones where he's fighting. There's the face of a man who's fully prepared to die because he's sworn a vow. There's no malice here against Ned & his party.

Massa

Yep, the scene was fantastic and that actor was great in it. Also, Tyrion could have really used a helmet like that in the Blackwater battle, huh.

Turin

Banned
The hair color took me aback for a second but Dayne was definitely a strong point to that scene. It felt like we were getting a brief glimpse of a legend.

Kozak

Banned
I think it's safe to assume that anyone who has made it to this point of GoT/ASOIF is going to remember the story and details of Robert's rebellion...

They should start paying attention to those ham-handed "previously on GoT" openers. Only way D&D know how to actually connect that entire story, it seems.

Gigglepoo

So with Bran, are they setting things up to where he can change the past? Wasn't sure how to interpret that tower of joy scene.

A lot of people are going to be pissed if there's a real time-traveling element (show or books) but I'm giddy at what could happen. Every crazy theory is possible! I expect one huge WTF moment in the season finale to make us question everything in the offseason.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the books Varys sends the little birds to kill Kevan, right? Qyburn having control of them is messing with my head. Also, now it seems everyone knows the kids are the spies so doesn't that make them seriously less effective? Maybe Qyburn just doesn't get how spies are supposed to work.

Fuck this Rickon/Shaggydog business. Really hope it's a trap. I'm so exhausted from all this Ramsay torture business and everyone's complete idiocy around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom