• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

He might finish TWoW, but no way in hell is ADoS coming out within the next 5 years.

I still can't believe it: Both the Star War Prequel AND Sequel trilogies will have finished before ASoIaF does, to say nothing of countless other fantasy series.
even the Horus Heresy series might finish before asoiaf does :p

Massa

I haven't met a single person who likes it. It got old fast. They gave him extreme and nonsensical amounts of plot armor.

Well a certain other character literally came back from the dead so plot armor isn't a problem isolated to Ramsay Snow.

Today I was told about the fellow spaniard who seems to be pretty accurate with his predictions on youtube, which apparently even HBO closed several of his videos due to copyright infringement. So I decided to watch some of his videos, and holy shit, this guy knows his stuff, and so far he has been at least 90% accurate with all that has happened until this third chapter.

I understand this guy has some internal source who might be leaking all of the details he talks about in his vieos, but I also feel this guys is almost all day in reddit looking for anononymous leaks.

I'm truly surprised, and spoiled, lol

Enosh

God they're still making those? I tuned out after book 5 when it became obvious that GW was gonna stretch that shit out for as long as possible.
oh yeah, the latest release is number 37, mind you this is just the novels, not counting multiple novellas, short stories, audio dramas etc (although those have by now been mostly collected into anthologies which are part of the main series of novels)

but hey, on the plus side, no need to wait half a decade for a new book

Vespene

Agreed. I'm not looking forward to those scenes and I have a nagging suspicion they'll be drawn out longer than need be.

I thought the whole point of Dany being with the Dothraki was to make a heroic return to free Meereen from a siege with an army of horsemen on her back. Without the siege of Meereen, it makes the whole plotline of her being away from the city rather useless. Just like Quarth. -_-

Enosh

I thought the whole point of Dany being with the Dothraki was to make a heroic return to free Meereen from a siege with an army of horsemen on her back. Without the siege of Meereen, it makes the whole plotline of her being away from the city rather useless. Just like Quarth. -_-
I kinda wonder, what dany is going to do about the rampant slavery among the Dothraki, will she prohibit it among them too? will they follow someone who abolishes slavery? will she fight them over it?

XAL

You know, there's a huge upside to the show ditching entire major characters and absolutely butchering plotlines so they end post-haste.

The books will have a lot cooler stuff happen and will ultimately be the superior version by lightyears.

Did they really have Pycelle shit himself? Really? Did they really have that Saturday morning child's cartoon toilet humour in this show?

That is even worse than bad pussy.

The books will have a lot cooler stuff happen and will ultimately be the superior version by lightyears.

Assuming they get finished, you mean. I think that's underneath a lot of the disappointment for many of us. This may be the only look at some of these events that we get.

You know, there's a huge upside to the show ditching entire major characters and absolutely butchering plotlines so they end post-haste.

Problem is said "Superior" version won't be complete in at least a decade, if not longer, if not EVER.

Did they really have Pycelle shit himself? Really? Did they really have that Saturday morning child's cartoon toilet humour in this show?

That is even worse than bad pussy.

But, he shits himself when he dies doesn't he? Just sticking to the books!

XAL

Assuming they get finished, you mean. I think that's underneath a lot of the disappointment for many of us. This may be the only look at some of these events that we get.

Problem is said "Superior" version won't be complete in at least a decade, if not longer, if not EVER.

As long as he maintains his quality I'm ok with this. If he can't finish it, or dies, the work will be passed off to someone else with his framework and notes to finish.

If he ends up finishing it himself, he reconsiders a bunch of stuff while he's writing - so the end product of the books will be more divergent from the show as more time goes on.

Depending on how bad the show gets towards the end, more time spent writing will be better for fans.

As long as he maintains his quality I'm ok with this. If he can't finish it, or dies, the work will be passed off to someone else with his framework and notes to finish.

He's specifically stated that if he dies no other author is allowed to finish it, and all his notes and outlines are to be destroyed upon his death.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Since it's been a few years since I last read them, I looked up what happened in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, and holy shit, they really diverged a huge deal in the show, didn't they?

Makes me wonder how much of the stuff happening in these last three episodes is even going to happen in the next book. I could see there being some really huge plot differences by the time both the show and books are all wrapped up.

Chris R

I hope it's not allowed. Was something big just leaked? I saw a big post on a another forum that I hurried up and clicked X on.

No, it isn't something that just leaked, but whatever, I'll keep it to myself instead of commenting.

If/when what I think happens ends up happening I'll bring it up then.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
GJUAEmL.gif

KahooTs

Since it's been a few years since I last read them, I looked up what happened in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, and holy shit, they really diverged a huge deal in the show, didn't they?

Makes me wonder how much of the stuff happening in these last three episodes is even going to happen in the next book. I could see there being some really huge plot differences by the time both the show and books are all wrapped up.
Dany goes West, Jon comes South, everyone hugs it out and fights the WW at the end. That's about all you can bank on both things doing.

Showaddy

He's specifically stated that if he dies no other author is allowed to finish it, and all his notes and outlines are to be destroyed upon his death.

I assume he's just saying that because he's pissed that people keep reminding him he's a fat old man who could bite it at any minute. I just can't imagine anyone screwing over his fans that have brought him so much fame and money that badly.

Gigglepoo

I know D&D were desperate to replace Joffery when he kicked the bucket, but I think the more serious worry should be Cercei. Headey makes scenes great even if the writing isn't. I know her death is coming soon but it's going to really suck.

Showaddy

"Screwing over" hmm.

Do you maybe think that that kind of entitlement is part of the thing that makes him wary?

I fail to see how some form of closure to fans who have investing so much in the series if a worst case scenario should occur is anything close to entitlement.

Massa

I know D&D were desperate to replace Joffery when he kicked the bucket, but I think the more serious worry should be Cercei. Headey makes scenes great even if the writing isn't. I know her death is coming soon but it's going to really suck.

You think so? I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei makes it to the end.

Brakke

Banned
I fail to see how some form of closure to fans who have investing so much in the series if a worst case scenario should occur is anything close to entitlement.

You just used the word "investment". Because you expect a return. You feel like it will be an injustice if your investment doesn't yield a return? You feel... entitled to a return on that "investment"? You think he owes you "closure"?

hoos30

If he ends up finishing it himself, he reconsiders a bunch of stuff while he's writing - so the end product of the books will be more divergent from the show as more time goes on.

Depending on how bad the show gets towards the end, more time spent writing will be better for fans.

Linda and Elio to write ADOS, confirmed. The Horror!!

jdstorm

Banned
Does anyone else ever wonder if GRRM is perhaps using the show as a testing ground for certain plot developments? Like what if Sansa originally got raped in TWOW, under different circumstances obviously, but when he saw the massive backlash to the rape on the show, he changed the way it happened or maybe excised it all together from the book? /conspiracytheorypositingthatgrrmiswaitinguntilthetvshowisovertofinishthebooks

She didn't. Martin admitted as much in an interview. Though I don't remember with who
Sansa as Alayne Stone had to seduce Harry someone who was the chosen heir to the Vale as chosen by the lords of that region after they were married into fighting Ramsey for winter fell

However D and D decided to combine Sansa and Jeyne Poole for plot convenience,
and unfortunately chose that Sansa would be raped over having Sansa go all Dominatrix on Ramsey
Which would have been a very different direction to take things

duckroll

I don't think GRRM ever said anything vindictive like "when I die all my notes get burnt and no one will be allowed to finish the books!!!!" That just sounds like a bad round of internet telephone. What GRRM has said is that he doesn't have any actual contingency plans for an untimely death, and that he doesn't have a ton of written notes or full outlines because that's not how he writes. If he dies, he dies. He doesn't plan on dying before he finishes the books, so he's not wasting time to plan for that outcome when he can be writing the books instead.

I assume he's just saying that because he's pissed that people keep reminding him he's a fat old man who could bite it at any minute. I just can't imagine anyone screwing over his fans that have brought him so much fame and money that badly.

Staring with the 4th book (and IMO contributing to the massive decline in quality) GRRM no longer allows his editors to make comments or suggestions for improvements on his drafts when he submits them. I can fully believe that the man does not want anyone else to touch his story if he dies before finishing, regardless of fanboy hate mail affecting him. To be fair, lots of creators become super attached to their works in such a way that they don't want anyone else to work on them or even critique them (George Lucas and Anne Rice come to mind).

Jeels

You just used the word "investment". Because you expect a return. You feel like it will be an injustice if your investment doesn't yield a return? You feel... entitled to a return on that "investment"? You think he owes you "closure"?

The man needs to let go of HIS entitlement. His pride is probably a more suitable word. I can't believe he'd not pass along the work to someone he trusts to finish for an invested fan base that gave him the spotlight.

jdstorm

Banned
Staring with the 4th book (and IMO contributing to the massive decline in quality) GRRM no longer allows his editors to make comments or suggestions for improvements on his drafts when he submits them. I can fully believe that the man does not want anyone else to touch his story if he dies before finishing, regardless of fanboy hate mail. To be fair, lots of creators become attached to their works in such a way that they don't want anyone else to work on them or even critique them (George Lucas and Anne Rice come to mind).

Considering the quality of the EU and episode 7 George Lucas had very good reason to be worried about future of his work once he decided to step away from it

duckroll

The man needs to let go of HIS entitlement. His pride is probably a more suitable word. I can't believe he'd not pass along the work to someone he trusts to finish for an invested fan base that gave him the spotlight.

I can't believe people still say shit like that. It's such a stupid thing to suggest. Do you not realize how annoying and insensitive it is? It's not about pride or anything. People who keep asking an author "HEY DO YOU HAVE PLANS FOR YOUR BOOKS IF YOU HAPPENED TO DIE TOMORROW? YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T LOOK TOO HEALTHY..." are like family members who would ask an elderly family member "HEY HAVE YOU FINALIZED YOUR WILL YET? HURRR? HAVE YOU???"

Massa

She didn't. Martin admitted as much in an interview. Though I don't remember with who
Sansa as Alayne Stone had to seduce Harry someone who was the chosen heir to the Vale as chosen by the lords of that region after they were married into fighting Ramsey for winter fell

However D and D decided to combine Sansa and Jeyne Poole for plot convenience, and unfortunately chose that Sansa would be raped over having Sansa go all Dominatrix on Ramsey
Which would have been a very different direction to take things

Sansa was already almost-raped a few times in the books, I wouldn't be surprised if her marriage to Harry doesn't quite work out like people expect it to. In fact, Littlefinger manipulating her into marrying Ramsay isn't that different to what he's doing in the books. People are just assuming Harry will be dominated by her and won't do awful things to her.

It will be interesting to see if Sansa and LF interact this season. If she's still trusting of him and all that then I'll agree the show did badly, but maybe her experience with the Boltons is going to stick with her and she'll manipulate LF instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom