• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolySheep

Neo Member
If there's one thing this show has hammered home week after week, it's never to get your hopes up. Always expect it to take the path of least resistence. If you think there's a chance of something happening which might be interesting, or out of left field, or otherwise isn't completely predictible, it wont.
I'd love to have my mind changed but to me, the series is increasingly feeling like D&D just want it done with as soon as possible.

sure seems like it... so many cool plotlines wasted:/ I really hope G.R.R.M can get the books out and that they remake the series..

fuzzyset

There's a pretty good post over on Reddit about all the Umber Bolton non-sense. Some good points made. My favorites are

1) Ramsay wants to meet Stannis in the field outside Winterfell. Roose says that's a terrible idea because Winterfell is so defensible. Umbers are luring out the Boltons.

2) Why give Osha to the Boltons? The Umbers hate Wildlings. Once they decided to turn, they would've just executed her. Osha is a badass. Could easily be taking over the Ghost of Winterfell.

3) There are "for scale" items on the desk where the head is placed to show how small the head is.

Ushay

GJUAEmL.gif

LOL

Gigglepoo

Was Winterfell burned in the show? I don't remember that happening and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. I imagine the castle would be harder to protect in the books considering how it's falling apart, but maybe Roose is right and they could have hidden behind its walls in the show.

Kalnos

Banned
Was Winterfell burned in the show? I don't remember that happening and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. I imagine the castle would be harder to protect in the books considering how it's falling apart, but maybe Roose is right and they could have hidden behind its walls in the show.

It was burned. In the scenes where Roose was talking to Littlefinger there seemed to be a lot of fortifying and repair going on also.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, there are plenty of trailers and legitimate, straight from HBO photos verifying
that the Umbers are not playing a trick on Ramsay. Before the season, even.

It's obvious to me that they're setting up a situation of overwhelming odds against the Stark army.

If the Umbers and the Manderlys were on board, they would annihilate the Boltons. With it just being the Manderlys and the small northern houses, there's that underdog situation.

Euron

And I thought this meme was dead. Fucking amazing lol

There's a pretty good post over on Reddit about all the Umber Bolton non-sense. Some good points made. My favorites are

1) Ramsay wants to meet Stannis in the field outside Winterfell. Roose says that's a terrible idea because Winterfell is so defensible. Umbers are luring out the Boltons.

2) Why give Osha to the Boltons? The Umbers hate Wildlings. Once they decided to turn, they would've just executed her. Osha is a badass. Could easily be taking over the Ghost of Winterfell.

3) There are "for scale" items on the desk where the head is placed to show how small the head is.
I really hope we're not just grasping straws in an attempt to salvage some sort of intelligence in the Winterfell plot. The Umbers being the heads of the GNC would be amazing and so would Osha being the Ghost of Winterfell but I feel that's too complicated for the show writers and they just want to end the Rickon plot somehow and want to build up Ramsay even more.

Gigglepoo

Has the show become more predictable this season? Or is it just because we're reaching the final stories? We better get at least a couple big surprised, something that isn't painfully obvious.

Brakke

Banned
I can't believe people still say shit like that. It's such a stupid thing to suggest. Do you not realize how annoying and insensitive it is? It's not about pride or anything. People who keep asking an author "HEY DO YOU HAVE PLANS FOR YOUR BOOKS IF YOU HAPPENED TO DIE TOMORROW? YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T LOOK TOO HEALTHY..." are like family members who would ask an elderly family member "HEY HAVE YOU FINALIZED YOUR WILL YET? HURRR? HAVE YOU???"

I agree in essence, but that's a bad analogy. Inheritance *is* a legal entitlement, unless someone makes specific plans to the contrary. Lots of people die without wills and leave a mess for their family to deal with. Don't go in "hurring", but people should try to more be comfortable talking to their family about estate planning.

fuzzyset

I really hope we're not just grasping straws in an attempt to salvage some sort of intelligence in the Winterfell plot. The Umbers being the heads of the GNC would be amazing and so would Osha being the Ghost of Winterfell but I feel that's too complicated for the show writers and they just want to end the Rickon plot somehow and want to build up Ramsay even more.

Yeah. Given that Rickon doesn't even have a plot in the books, seems excessive to pull him back just to bait Jon. Rickon could easily just die off-screen (hell most non-book people didn't even remember who the hell he was anyhow). Jon has more than enough reason to attack Winterfell already now that his watch is over. I defend the show a good bit in here, but Rickon just being a flay thing to Ramsay would be *really* bad.

Has the show become more predictable this season? Or is it just because we're reaching the final stories? We better get at least a couple big surprised, something that isn't painfully obvious.

Arya and Tyrion/Dany stories are completely stagnant. And there isn't really anything I can think of on the latter that can be of any real interest in moving the characters or overall plots foreward for quite a while. She is stuck in the same boring situation for a long ass time and even if they go for some ''shock'' moment like killing off Jorah or something it wouldn't change the overall narrative in any meaningful way in of itself, just another corpse in the pile. And let's say Drogon arrives as we know he will and some shenanigans make the Dothrak follow Dany, it doesn't matter. She already has an army. It feels like absolutely nothing matters in Mereen/Vaes Dothrak until Ironborn get there in like episode 7-8 or whatever. It's kinda shame cause I think Mereen could be potentially very interesting location as it's the first real big city the story settles in for a long time aside from KL. But that would need actually having interesting characters interract with each other. They killed off Barristan and now it's just Missandei and Greybore wasting time and Tyrion telling dickjokes. Varys is the only interesting character currently present trying to do something.

One of the bigger problems now is that all the stories feel very isolated. In earlier seasons when something happened in KL for example you could always see it effect the storylines of other places and have ripple effects without having the characters actually meet. Now it feels that the only way the different stories can affect each other is just straight up make the characters meet like with Brienne and Sansa. It feels like a ton of isolated little narratives rather than small streams that join into a larger river.

I really hope the Dothraki storyline leads into something interesting. If it just ends up with Dany returning to Mereen they could easily have cut the whole thing and made up something else.

KodaRuss

The reddit theory sounds awesome and I would really like for the Umbers to be loyal to the Starks still but I just dont think that is going to happen. We got Jon to be resurrected, there is going to be some pain coming for the good guys this season.

Gigglepoo

Arya and Tyrion/Dany stories are completely stagnant. And there isn't really anything I can think of on the latter that can be of any real interest in moving the characters or overall plots foreward for quite a while. She is stuck in the same boring situation for a long ass time and even if they go for some ''shock'' moment like killing off Jorah or something it wouldn't change the overall narrative in any meaningful way in of itself, just another corpse in the pile.

Preston Jacobs guesses that forcing Dany to go to Vaas Dorthrak to get a larger army doesn't make sense because she already has a huge army, so there must be another reason why she goes there. Maybe it's to find out the truth about her past from before the show began. That would finally shed light on Illyrio and (maybe) Varys' true motives and tie up some of the conflicting reports about her escape, as a child, from Dragonstone.

It's a cool theory but I doubt the show would make time for it. Instead, I really do think we're going to see Daario die and then helpless damsel Dany get rescued by her dragon again. And then she'll be right back where she was in S2, with dragons and a huge army of Dorthaki.

D&D absolutely adore killing characters forward momentum. Sansa, Jamie, and now Dany all went backward for no reason, making for some incredibly uninteresting plots.

I agree but that's how AFFC and ADWD were to be honest.

Those books were putting characters into position to enact major changes and everything was tied together through allegiances, prophecies, or both. I thought it was really well done. Is there a story thread in Dance/Feast that doesn't fit into the greater whole? I can't think of one offhand, unless we count Arya, whose ultimate purpose is still really mysterious. But otherwise, every move affects other moves, which is why I think we'll see a massive domino effect in TWoW.

Kozak

Banned
sometimes it seems that we're upset because the story isn't going the way we'd like it too haha

If the Umbers pull off something like in Braveheart that would be sick.

I'm doubtful only because the theory of Boltons + Karstarks + Umbers vs Jon/Wildlings + Manderlys with the Knights of the Vale swooping in for a victory makes too much sense.

On the subject of predictability I feel it's just a case of things starting to come to a close. It's a shame but it's one of the reasons this season feels unexciting to me.

Gigglepoo

D&D are talentless hacks!

Am I doing it right?

Not at all. They're just more concerned with the big shocking moments than building a carefully crafted world and characters. The show is probably more popular because of it but it can be disappointing for people who want something closer to Martin's story.

They definitely get the most out of their actors, that's for sure.

On the subject of predictability I feel it's just a case of things starting to come to a close. It's a shame but it's one of the reasons this season feels unexciting to me.

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case. I'm hoping for at least one or two big surprises but who knows.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I just wish they gave more credit it to the viewer. Season 2 and 3 was perfection with that. Than they made Season 4 which casualized the shit out of it...which really only had Yara's dongs to complain about. If Season 4 didn't have some of the biggest moments of the series that were properly made...than we wouldn't have what happened in Seasons 5 and 6. Plus them getting another year fucked them over, which is why I'm wondering why they didn't negotiate more with HBO before it happened. I like what we have now, but there's a very clear instance where it went from 'amazing' to just 'good'.

Kalnos

Banned
I just wish they gave more credit it to the viewer. Season 2 and 3 was perfection with that. Than they made Season 4 which casualized the shit out of it...which really only had Yara's dongs to complain about. If Season 4 didn't have some of the biggest moments of the series that were properly made...than we wouldn't have what happened in Seasons 5 and 6. Plus them getting another year fucked them over, which is why I'm wondering why they didn't negotiate more with HBO before it happened. I like what we have now, but there's a very clear instance where it went from 'amazing' to just 'good'.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mr Git

Rewatched the latest episode and was mesmerised by Tyrion's ever changing volume of wine when they're sat at the table. It's like the continuity folks have just gone, "fuck it", and absconded off to Dorne.

deleted

Arya and Tyrion/Dany stories are completely stagnant. And there isn't really anything I can think of on the latter that can be of any real interest in moving the characters or overall plots foreward for quite a while.

Didn't they foreshadow that she's at the place where is decided what the Dothraki attack? Drogon comes back, she takes over the place, decides to attack westeros.

Could be, even if not really feasible since her boats are gone. Otherwise there isn't much going on there, right.

Speevy

Banned
Rewatched the latest episode and was mesmerised by Tyrion's ever changing volume of wine when they're sat at the table. It's like the continuity folks have just gone, "fuck it", and absconded off to Dorne.

Balon got caught in some sort of Star Trek temporal anomaly. It was only when someone made him mad enough to walk out onto that bridge that time resumed.

Of course, he relives that journey from the Octopus Room over and over.

My hope: dany didn't go wind-up back at the dothraki to get an army, but to accept the fact that DRAGONS DO NOT SOW goddamn it. If there is anyone that can reminder of that, a reflective time with the dothraki. Hopefully whatever happens there teaches her she is a conquer not a ruler and gets her ass in gear.

Speevy

Banned
D and D aren't hacks. They've just been fed on the expectations of those who don't give a shit about the books, and they're tired of making this show, SO
JON VS RAMSAY ROYAL RUMBLE LET'S END THIS

Gigglepoo

Didn't they foreshadow that she's at the place where is decided what the Dothraki attack? Drogon comes back, she takes over the place, decides to attack westeros.

Could be, even if not really feasible since her boats are gone. Otherwise there isn't much going on there, right.

But she already had an army in Meereen. There needs to be something there that would warrant her being taken away or we're just spinning our wheels.

Speevy

Banned
But she already had an army in Meereen. There needs to be something there that would warrant her being taken away or we're just spinning our wheels.

If everyone's funding attacks on Meereen, then surely a siege will happen.

Dany has to stop the attack and get the hell out of Essos.

devilhawk

Sure, complain about the Mereen plot in the show.

But it sucks in the books too. Dany is easily the worst part of ADWD. Coma inducing, really.

Thankfully, D&D saved us from most of the Dany-Daario parts of the book.

Gigglepoo

If everyone's funding attacks on Meereen, then surely a siege will happen.

Dany has to stop the attack and get the hell out of Essos.

She already had 8,000 unsullied and 3 dragons.

I just think there has to be a reason other than getting a larger angry.

Speevy

Banned
Sure, complain about the Mereen plot in the show.

But it sucks in the books too. Dany is easily the worst part of ADWD. Coma inducing, really.

Yeah, but how do you cut out all the boring stuff and still end up with Tyrion in a room talking to Missandei and Grey Worm?

Like...imagine one of those meetings where they have all the pictures and diagrams of the story they want to tell. They cross out one thing, then another, and say "Tyrion asks Grey Worm to have a conversation with him. Grey Worm says he only talks when he's on patrol. Varys interrogates that woman from last season and comes up with 'Astapor, Yunkai, and Volantis are funding the harpies.' Riveting stuff, guys. I'm so glad we got rid of Barristan."

Pkaz01

Theres always one episode per season that bores me and I have no interest in. Probably going to be this next one outside of the scenes with jon and davos.

Don't really care about the shit in the iron islands or kings landing or anything that has to do with dany or meereen (although any varys time is a good time)

Speevy

Banned
She already had 8,000 unsullied and 3 dragons.

I just think there has to be a reason other than getting a larger angry.

The Dothraki are notorious for mistreating women and keeping lesser tribes as slaves, aren't they? They're sort of anti-Dany in terms of values.

devilhawk

Yeah, but how do you cut out all the boring stuff and still end up with Tyrion in a room talking to Missandei and Grey Worm?

Like...imagine one of those meetings where they have all the pictures and diagrams of the story they want to tell. They cross out one thing, then another, and say "Tyrion asks Grey Worm to have a conversation with him. Grey Worm says he only talks when he's on patrol. Varys interrogates that woman from last season and comes up with 'Astapor, Yunkai, and Volantis are funding the harpies.' Riveting stuff, guys. I'm so glad we got rid of Barristan."
I can't excuse what D&D have done with Tyrion so far in Mereen.

Gigglepoo

The Dothraki are notorious for mistreating women and keeping lesser tribes as slaves, aren't they? They're sort of anti-Dany in terms of values.

Yeah, there has to be some character development or something. Anything other than recycling plots! If she isn't learning, growing, or changing in the slightest, I don't understand their point.

And she can get a bigger army, too.

duckroll

I agree in essence, but that's a bad analogy. Inheritance *is* a legal entitlement, unless someone makes specific plans to the contrary. Lots of people die without wills and leave a mess for their family to deal with. Don't go in "hurring", but people should try to more be comfortable talking to their family about estate planning.

In this example said family member isn't a son, daughter, wife, or husband, said family member is a nephew, niece, or cousin who sees said person maybe three times a year, and expects a nice present at Christmas. That's what annoying ass people who bother authors about having "contingency plans" sound like. So yes, they are absolutely "hurring"!

Patriots7

Great contributions to the thread, very insightful.
I'm sorry, should I further delve into the logic of Oberyn's paramour and daughters deciding that the best way for getting revenge for his death was by killing his entire living family?

Or the Sansa marriage?

At this point the only way I can enjoy the show is to remove myself from actually thinking that there is any sense behind what is going on. It works, last episode wasn't that bad.

deleted

Maybe she has to leave the unsullied in Meereen - puh, I don't know. If she won't take over there, she's just away for Tyrion to manage a city... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom