• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
9ErfHy2.gif
Where did this come from?

Gigglepoo

You think so? I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei makes it to the end.

Well, the prophecy says she'll be killed by the little brother. Granted, that part didn't make it into the show, but if they do follow Martin's plan, she'll be killed by Jamie, Tyrion, or Bran. My money is on Bran inside of Jamie's head.

jdstorm

Banned
Sansa was already almost-raped a few times in the books, I wouldn't be surprised if her marriage to Harry doesn't quite work out like people expect it to. In fact, Littlefinger manipulating her into marrying Ramsay isn't that different to what he's doing in the books. People are just assuming Harry will be dominated by her and won't do awful things to her.

It will be interesting to see if Sansa and LF interact this season. If she's still trusting of him and all that then I'll agree the show did badly, but maybe her experience with the Boltons is going to stick with her and she'll manipulate LF instead.

From the interview with GRRM he talked about Sansa and Character growth. Sansa getting raped was boring and dumb because it essentially undid all that forward momentum she had developed as a character. As much as GRRM can get bogged down with details he always seems to allow his characters to grow naturally and develop organically. They usually learn from past experiences and continue to move forward without repeating themselves

Jacob

I don't think GRRM ever said anything vindictive like "when I die all my notes get burnt and no one will be allowed to finish the books!!!!" That just sounds like a bad round of internet telephone. What GRRM has said is that he doesn't have any actual contingency plans for an untimely death, and that he doesn't have a ton of written notes or full outlines because that's not how he writes. If he dies, he dies. He doesn't plan on dying before he finishes the books, so he's not wasting time to plan for that outcome when he can be writing the books instead.

Basically. Also, the source that seems most bandied about is this Australian interview in which GRRM said that he didn't want other people writing shitty spin-off novels or "sequels" to his work. He specifically namechecks Christopher Tolkien as his model for this, because he never let anyone write a cash-in sequel to LOTR. But of course, Christopher Tolkien did finish his father's unfinished work, and GRRM knows this, although it doesn't come up in the interview.

TL;DR he didn't actually comment on whether someone else would finish the series if he died.

Well, the prophecy says she'll be killed by the little brother. Granted, that part didn't make it into the show, but if they do follow Martin's plan, she'll be killed by Jamie, Tyrion, or Bran. My money is on Bran inside of Jamie's head.

Can't remember what made me think it, but after aDwD I got the feeling Tommen might be the little brother in question. Maybe the way she was always marginalizing him.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The man needs to let go of HIS entitlement. His pride is probably a more suitable word. I can't believe he'd not pass along the work to someone he trusts to finish for an invested fan base that gave him the spotlight.

He owes no one anything. It's really that simple.

Even if he did, who is to say he even has someone that he trusts to finish his work for him? Given the word processor he uses, I imagine he is very particular about these things and probably doesn't really trust anyone to speak for him.

Anyway, duckroll probably covered this all better.

mantidor

What about... the hound? she loses the trial by combat so she is executed. Get hype, blah blah blah :p

Or what about Arya? Is the valonqar exclusively male? I can't remember.

Gigglepoo

What about... the hound? she loses the trial by combat so she is executed. Get hype, blah blah blah :p

Ha! Half the kingdom is poised to kill Cercei! Melisandre better get to King's Landing before it's too late.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Nope, not gender exclusive...Jamie killing Cersei after she destroys King's Landing at Casterly Rock would be the best.

mantidor

A comment on Reddit pointed out something to me that also doesn't make much sense.

If Smalljon is worried about wildings being lead by Jon Snow... why is he giving up the most perfect bargaining chip ever that is Rickon? and to someone he so obviously loathes as shown in their little exchange?

suzu

A comment on Reddit pointed out something to me that also doesn't make much sense.

If Smalljon is worried about wildings being lead by Jon Snow... why is he giving up the most perfect bargaining chip ever that is Rickon? and to someone he so obviously loathes as shown in their little exchange?

Well, things don't always make sense on this show. :p

Massa

It's an army of wildlings lead by a bastard, 'conquering' their lands as they see it. A negotiation with them the same as negotiating with Dothraki, it's not an option.

mantidor

It's an army of wildlings lead by a bastard, 'conquering' their lands as they see it. A negotiation with them the same as negotiating with Dothraki, it's not an option.

These are not the Dothraki, this is Jon Snow, they know who he is and his relationship with Rickon, is not some random dude.

This is even obviously what is going to happen, Ramsay is going to dangle Rickon in front of Jon to provoke him or to use as bargain or something. The Umbers could have done that by themselves to begin with.

duckroll

As opposed to Winterfell being held by a bastard, killing his way into power as he sees fit?

Kain

While I believe George is using the show as testing grounds for some plots, for example imagine if he told D&D "Hey, this char is going to die!", then the show does it and he's later like "lol joking, he's alive at the end!", I don't think he's going to deviate significantly from his original plan. If he originally planned to have Sansa raped, for example, Sansa will be. I don't believe he's going to change stuff from the books due to internet backlash. Come on.

Also, regarding the North, I think they are going to reduce the Northern conspiracy to Umber and Karstark betraying Ramsay. Which is not bad actually given how huge in terms of people involved seems in the books, I don't think it's possible to translate in reasonable screen time all the shit going on in the backstage.

Where is this from?

From the depths of Cringe-Hell

Moff

Did I get that wrong? I thought he hated Roose but liked Ramsay. For whatever reason.

SteveWD40

Did I get that wrong? I thought he hated Roose but liked Ramsay. For whatever reason.

Nope, he just needs Ramsay, he probably would have come to Roose if Jon had let the wildlings through earlier.

His whole demeanour struck me as "fuck it, this is more important, gotta dance with the devil"

I also imagine it was his dad dying that opened this up, GreatJon may never have betrayed Rickon.

duckroll

16 after Brienne's teleporting adventures

Those weren't good men. If they were, they wouldn't have lost. Ramsay has many men, not all of them good, but there are 20 good ones. Brienne didn't teleport either, the dogs did. Please get the deeplore of the series right if you want to make fun of it!

Kain

Those weren't good men. If they were, they wouldn't have lost. Ramsay has many men, not all of them good, but there are 20 good ones. Brienne didn't teleport either, the dogs did. Please get the deeplore of the series right if you want to make fun of it!

You are right T_T

I wonder if the 20 good men will truly die when Ramsay falls from grace or they will go to assist Jon. Imagine Jon with the good men. Bye bye white walkers

Kain

Doesn't something tragic or horrific happen with Sansa in next book too?

afaik that was a missunderstanding with George in some interview. So far he released one Sansa chapter for TWOW in which

Sansa is set to marry the heir of the Vale in case poor little Robin dies and she is starting to discover her "womanly weapons" so to speak, to try and control the situation (the marriage itself) and all that. I think George meant that this episode was important for Sansa's progression because she went from child to woman as she was, for the first time, considering marriage, a relationship with a guy, sex and all that (instead of having her teenage girl dreams she was having for five books) and someone thought that was controversial or something. The chapter itself was nothing special as I remember it.

I think that's what it was, but maybe I'm missremembering.

dabig2

Well, things don't always make sense on this show. :p

Since we're on the subject of D&D changes to the North storyline, I was kinda in and out with Season 5 but did they ever explain the logistics of Sansa's wedding to Ramsay? She's still complicit in Joffrey's murder on the show, right? And did a septon ever annul her marriage to Tyrion?

Chuckie

Since we're on the subject of D&D changes to the North storyline, I was kinda in and out with Season 5 but did they ever explain the logistics of Sansa's wedding to Ramsay? She's still complicit in Joffrey's murder on the show, right? And did a septon ever annul her marriage to Tyrion?

If I recall correctly Roose does know they antagonize Kings Landing by having Sansa marry Ramsay, but the support of the North is more important. I think they marry her for the Old Gods...so maybe that's why it is possible :p

Doesn't something tragic or horrific happen with Sansa in next book too?

The 'controversial chapter' was a comment from Elio, I believe, which he made a few years ago. The chapter was released last year and it actually turned out that the 'controversial' element was that Sansa does not think about The Hound as she's talking with Littlefinger/Harry, and he thought that would piss off the SanSan shippers.

Her marriage to Tyrion didn't count because they never consummated it. Of course that wouldn't have stopped either Littlefinger or Roose from making the arrangement. As for the Lannisters, that's a whole other deal. Roose seemed fine knowing that the deal with Littlefinger would be an act of rebellion against the Crown but was worth it for Northern support (who never actually get around to attending the wedding), but then seems concerned about their lack of Lannister support in season 6.

Both can be chalked up to "we decided to shove Sansa into someone else's story for rapedrama and didn't think about the consequences".

Branduil

Well see, the first mistake here is thinking for more than 5 seconds about plot logic. That's already at least 5 seconds longer than D&D have thought about it.

dabig2

If I recall correctly Roose does know they antagonize Kings Landing by having Sansa marry Ramsay, but the support of the North is more important. I think they marry her for the Old Gods...so maybe that's why it is possible :p

Her marriage to Tyrion didn't count because they never consummated it. Of course that wouldn't have stopped either Littlefinger or Roose from making the arrangement. As for the Lannisters, that's a whole other deal. Roose seemed fine knowing that the deal with Littlefinger would be an act of rebellion against the Crown but was worth it for Northern support (who never actually get around to attending the wedding), but then seems concerned about their lack of Lannister support in season 6.

Both can be chalked up to "we decided to shove Sansa into someone else's story for rapedrama and didn't think about the consequences".

Thanks. Figured it would be something like that. Really makes no sense for Littlefinger and Sansa to even agree to such a pointless, volatile union. The only reasons the Boltons have power is due to the throne, and if Sansa's marriage undermines that then there's really no reason to even entertain letting the Boltons, traitors to the North, consolidate their power. I understand D&D not wanting to cast new actors for new roles in another setting, but Sansa's storyline in the show after Kings Landing is nonsensical from a storytelling perspective.

So now it looks like Rickon will be taking fArya and Sansa's role in being the damsel-in-distress for Jon and co. to rally for. But I still don't buy the Umbers just gifting such a valuable hostage to Ramsay just due to wildlings. Rickon is right now the most important dude in all of the North and like top 10 most important person in the entire realm due to being the last known living Stark male heir. That's an extremely important lottery piece to give up.

HolySheep

Neo Member
any chance the whole rickon thing is a ploy? maybe they just lumped off the head of a big wolf and will open the gates to winterfell or something?

HolySheep

Neo Member
I wish it to be so, but I don't think so to be honest.

Well i wont get my hopes up... D&D know how to fuck things up. The offscreen killing of shaggydog just seemed so uninspiring...:/ They also seems to have forgotten about the red wedding and what that really mean for the boltons chance of creating allies.

mantidor

Well see, the first mistake here is thinking for more than 5 seconds about plot logic. That's already at least 5 seconds longer than D&D have thought about it.

Sigh... you are not wrong.

At least the dragon cgi was fantastic, I really can't wait to see more.

I didn't even think of that!

But I'm not sure that works. The prophecy said she'll bury her three children.

Checked and the actual prophecy is "[g]old shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," so its at possible that Tommen kills Cersei and then dies as the king. I'm still in the game!

Massa

These are not the Dothraki, this is Jon Snow, they know who he is and his relationship with Rickon, is not some random dude.

This is even obviously what is going to happen, Ramsay is going to dangle Rickon in front of Jon to provoke him or to use as bargain or something. The Umbers could have done that by themselves to begin with.

They are not Dothraki but my point is that the North nobility sees the wildlings like they see the Dothraki.

The Umbers are outnumbered by wildlings, what could they achieve with Rickon? "Take him and leave us alone" doesn't work if you think the other side are wild people with no values and want to conquer your lands. If the only option is fighting then they need other noble houses to support them.

As opposed to Winterfell being held by a bastard, killing his way into power as he sees fit?

A bastard that wants an alliance with other houses versus a bastard that wants lands for wild people.

Well i wont get my hopes up... D&D know how to fuck things up. The offscreen killing of shaggydog just seemed so uninspiring...:/ They also seems to have forgotten about the red wedding and what that really mean for the boltons chance of creating allies.
If there's one thing this show has hammered home week after week, it's never to get your hopes up. Always expect it to take the path of least resistence. If you think there's a chance of something happening which might be interesting, or out of left field, or otherwise isn't completely predictible, it wont.
I'd love to have my mind changed but to me, the series is increasingly feeling like D&D just want it done with as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom