• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
In the books, there's more than zero reason to think that Jon might return from Ghost into some other body. I always thought it'd be fun if he returned into Stannis's body or something. Would make it easier for him to leave the Watch, although coming back from the dead might be enough to accomplish that anyway. But in the show you gotta figure that if (lol) Jon returns, it will be into his own body, if just for the continuity with the actor and all.

how do we know if stannis is really dead?

In the show, he's dead for sure.

Kazooie

Banned
I've tried to keep spoiler free for s6e1. Really hoping D&D don't try to slowly ease us back in to the series.

Just give us Cleganebowl, Frey pie, Fire and Blood and I'll be happy until next week.

bengraven

Started panicking because even though I had the password to GO saved it was rejecting it. Found out my FIL changed the password. Crisis averted.

Rewatching episode 10 season 5 again and I keep forgetting how "close" Mereen seems to Bravos.

I wonder if Arya is going to hitch a ride with Dany's people on the way back to Westeros.

gVluyeS.gif

It'll be interesting to see if the ratings can still go up from S5. I feel like there has been more pre-season hype than before among the more casual viewers I know.

suzu

I've tried to keep spoiler free for s6e1. Really hoping D&D don't try to slowly ease us back in to the series.

Just give us Cleganebowl, Frey pie, Fire and Blood and I'll be happy until next week.

Snowbowl too pls, so Jon can lop off Ramsay's head.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I forgot who had this theory but if Jon is in Ghost before he is revived maybe he'll take some of those traits along with him, being a bit more feral and aggressive. I think Varamyr said something about that too.

Ooh, I'd never heard that one before but I actually really like it!

Beric mentioned being "less" every time he came back, I believe it was something like "felt like pieces of him were being chipped away".

Oh, okay, so he does mention it in the show too then. That's a good sign.

Cock merchants was just how it was back in medieval times. Stop trying to censor artists. Tyrion has a cock and was taken prisoner, it would have been realistic to not include a cock merchant. What did you people think was going to happen?!

lmao

I've always felt that the prologue of ADWD is pure set up for Jon not being changed the same way that others who die and are resurrected are.His soul never really dies and returns just changes bodies temporarily ala the Bran vision of a man become wolf, become man.

That's what I originally thought (and was hoping for) after I had just read the book, but now I think it would be lame and antithetical to GRRM's beliefs about revivals.

That's a great question. The show went out of its way to mention how Beric was "less" each time he was revived. I would hope that this wasn't just a random plot element and has some significance to future characters, I.E. Jon. I could see them going down the easy route and have Jon lose his "sympathy" for others, which would open up a "revenge" plot and strengthen his focus on defeating the White Walkers. I guess I'm just rehashing Lady Stoneheart to a MUCH lesser degree.

Johnny Snowheart? That could actually be really interesting, although wouldn't that throw a wrench in the whole Jon x Dany thing that fans are shipping?

I was going to rewatch from Hardhome to the season 5 finale tonight, but I think I'll just rewatch Justified instead. I wonder how Raylan would react to the Sand Snakes.

W8ZgJVQ.gif

In the books, there's more than zero reason to think that Jon might return from Ghost into some other body. I always thought it'd be fun if he returned into Stannis's body or something. Would make it easier for him to leave the Watch, although coming back from the dead might be enough to accomplish that anyway. But in the show you gotta figure that if (lol) Jon returns, it will be into his own body, if just for the continuity with the actor and all.

In the show, he's dead for sure.

They still cut to black ;_;

also if I have HBONow can I start watching at 9pm EST or do I need to wait for the ep to air

Very excited for the premiere, though a little trepidatious considering some of the reactions from those who spoiled themselves. Oh, well. The book is the book, etc. Don't botch the resurrection, D&D!

I am sorry for saying this, but looking at GRRM's health and how he works, we are not going to see the end of the books. At least not by him. His productivity (whatever little there is) is only going to decline as he ages.
You don't know anything about his health, just that he's fat.
Is there anyone here who has actually followed the series since 1996?

I can't even begin to imagine how the wait must be for you.
I finished GoT before the first season and read the rest before the 2nd. However, I have been waiting 24 years for David Gerrold to finish his War Against the Chtorr series.
I wouldn't go that far but one thing is certain: he will not finish the books unless he changes his behavior, and to be frank I have no reason to believe he'll do that. Martin deserved to take a victory lap after ADWD (during the press tour). But instead of getting back to work in 2012 he once again stuffed his schedule. IIRC by 2013 he had around 400 pages of TWOW, half of which were originally from Dance.

Let's assume (lol) that Winds comes out next year, say in the spring. So all year will be the book tour, and then I guarantee you in 2018 he'll once again have more conventions, more appearances, etc pumped in.

I get it, he likes cons and probably knows he doesn't have much time left to attend them. But at some point he needs to decide to sit down, write, and only attend a couple events a year. But he won't so....
He doesn't need to do that, you just really, really want him to.

Massa

Started panicking because even though I had the password to GO saved it was rejecting it. Found out my FIL changed the password. Crisis averted.

Rewatching episode 10 season 5 again and I keep forgetting how "close" Mereen seems to Bravos.

I wonder if Arya is going to hitch a ride with Dany's people on the way back to Westeros.

This is my first time using HBO Go (cut cable this year), hope it doesn't suck.

Aurongel

HBO NOW on iOS has been damn near perfect for me but the desktop version in Chrome is a stuttery fucking mess.

Even full screen doesn't work, the entire image is shifted to the right and there's a giant black pillar on the left half of the screen.

Been that way since June, it's garbage.

EDIT: Here's an example...

Does this with every browser on two different Windows 7 machines.

Apt101

HBO NOW on iOS has been damn near perfect for me but the desktop version in Chrome is a stuttery fucking mess.

Even full screen doesn't work, the entire image is shifted to the right and there's a giant black pillar on the left half of the screen.

Been that way since June, it's garbage.

EDIT: Here's an example...

Does this with every browser on two different Windows 7 machines.

Netflix still only plays 780p in Chrome as well. The stutter with HBO Now is miserable. I watch it using IE on Windows now.

Damerman

If you think the handling of the Dorne plotline, the Olly telegraphing, and the whole Shireen/Brienne/Stannis arc were best described as "trivial shit", you'd be best served to stay out of these threads and just sit back and enjoy the show. There's nothing wrong with doing so. Most of the viewing public does exactly that.

Yeah- "Two Swords" is baller. Probably one of my legit top 5 faves from the series.
dorne was horse shit. Im not gonna argue that. But the people complaining painstakingly about stannis' inconsistent characterization and making fun of Olly... Those never made any sense to me. And it was all over the place And what made it worse was the constant comparison with the book version of stannis. Every page was "man stannis did a complete 180" then someone rebutted "yeah well stannis hasn't been consistent with the books since season 4". Im not saying to stop criticizing the show, but to sit there in a thread and constantly role your eyes and make avatar bets involving olly and how much more contrived his arc gets... And to make fantastical and baseless claims about "oh stannis in Twow is not going to be as shitty as the show stannis" gets really annoying. I'm not even gonna bring up the constant shitting on weiss and benioff.

Cindro

On episode 10 of S5 right now, should be good to go by the time the new ep hits Go tonight.

That scene of Stannis burning his daughter... god dammit, man. Her screams were so authentically horrific. If I ever had a daughter even half as cute and as cool as her, I'd be ecstatic - yet I can't even fault Stannis! How disturbing is that? Melisandre has already proven many times that she has the hot magic scoops, and if that's the only way to prevent the deaths of his men and his fight for kingship, I guess you either burn your daughter or give everything up?

This show sucks man. Too many hard topics to watch and think about.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW EPISODE AAAHHHH

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Dorne was awful in the show, but still ironically way more interesting than the books. Lets hope they do the same for the Iron isles. It would be kind of hard not to.

You are nuts if you think Dorne is awful in the books. It's way better than the show in that regard.

You are nuts if you think Dorne is awful in the books. It's way better than the show in that regard.

I thought it was boring and stupid in the books. The show was simply stupid, so I couldn't complain about it.

Granted they could have included four episodes centred around watching kids play in the garden, but I'm glad they chose not to.

I think he'll open his eyes and gasp for air at the end of episode two. Cut to credits.

I think he'll be up in the first 5 minutes of episode 1.

Damerman

I kind of agree with Todd. dorne seemed like a distraction. they are literally late to the party. Doran just starts playing the game of thrones when everything is just about ready to go to shit. Could not care less about darkstar, could not care less about what the sand snake are going to do in king's landing, could not care less for what doran might be planning with Jon connington. I was interested in Arianne's plot, but after the TWOW chapter previews came out, i lost all interest. it all feels like unnecessary fluff.

Dorne was awful in the show, but still ironically way more interesting than the books. Lets hope they do the same for the Iron isles. It would be kind of hard not to.

In what way was it 'more interesting'? It was shorter, but there was absolutely nothing interesting about it at all. At least when I was reading it, my imagination wasn't constructing the dogshit choreography and cringy dialogue from the show, and the Dorne which existed in my mind didn't look like an overcast day on Blackpool beach.

Just as an FYI, due to no screeners going out this year, I'm not going to do content roundup posts for each episode until Monday night.

Rewatching final episode of season 5.

I still cannot fucking believe they had Myrcella not only be okay with, but GLAD that Jamie was her Funcle.

I mean, fucking Christ...

In what way was it 'more interesting'? It was shorter, but there was absolutely nothing interesting about it at all. At least when I was reading it, my imagination wasn't constructing the dogshit choreography and cringy dialogue from the show, and the Dorne which existed in my mind didn't look like an overcast day on Blackpool beach.

It was shorter.

Look at it this way, if the next book had been finished on time, I don't think we ever would have seen Dorne on the show.

I really hope they have a fixation more on Roose than Ramsay. I'm not sure why Ramsay gets so much screentime, maybe because they thought he could fill the void Joffrey left but Roose is a much better villain imo

WaffleTaco

I kind of agree with Todd. dorne seemed like a distraction. they are literally late to the party. Doran just starts playing the game of thrones when everything is just about ready to go to shit. Could not care less about darkstar, could not care less about what the sand snake are going to do in king's landing, could not care less for what doran might be planning with Jon connington. I was interested in Arianne's plot, but after the TWOW chapter previews came out, i lost all interest. it all feels like unnecessary fluff.

Eh, I disagree on that. Doran was not really late to the game, but was playing the very long game. Darkstar was annoying. Sand Snakes are probably going to kill Tommen in the book.

Also Maise Williams going blind was great acting I thought.

Also that bad pussy line I think works with the two characters you are saying.

Myrcella dying right as Jamie is trying to be a good dad is heartbreaking and dumb.

Any guesses for the cold open this year (if we get one)? Will go out on a limb and say Balon Greyjoy getting whacked by a faceless man. Need to set up a) he was still around and b) Grejoys will be the sideplot of the year.

WaffleTaco

Any guesses for the cold open this year (if we get one)? Will go out on a limb and say Balon Greyjoy getting whacked by a faceless man. Need to set up a) he was still around and b) Grejoys will be the sideplot of the year.

I want Tower of Joy...really would be perf imo

mantidor

I really hope they have a fixation more on Roose than Ramsay. I'm not sure why Ramsay gets so much screentime, maybe because they thought he could fill the void Joffrey left but Roose is a much better villain imo

I couldn't agree more but this is sadly not happening, I've already come to terms with it.

Apt101

In one of the trailers Euron appears removing a hood in the rain at night. I am guessing he flings him from the bridge.

I couldn't agree more but this is sadly not happening, I've already come to terms with it.

Yeah, S3 was already a shitton of Ramsay and when they were finally done breaking Theon and Roose showed his true colors during the Red Wedding I was like "great now Roose can be let loose" and then.... nope.

Rewatching final episode of season 5.

I still cannot fucking believe they had Myrcella not only be okay with, but GLAD that Jamie was her Funcle.

I mean, fucking Christ...
Benioff-and-Weiss.jpg

I'm totally ok with the show going off the rails and doing its own thing compared to the books. But if that's the route they're going, I'd at least want that original material and original writing to make some sense and have some internal consistency, which is what I felt so much of Season 5 was lacking.

Rewatching some of season 5 on HBO now and I'd forgotten how dumb some of it was. The Hardhome scene was amazing but so much else was just bad- from Sansa getting raped to the Sand Snakes (and Dorne in general) to Ramsay and his 20 Good Men to Stannis going down like a total chump. Ugh... I just hope for some better writing and consistent character development, that's all I ask for.

I agree there too. Roose is more a villain in the vein of Tywin- the cool, calculating type. Whereas Ramsay, especially the show version, has made him into not only some Joffrey level psychopath but apparently an action hero too.

Benioff-and-Weiss.jpg

I'm totally ok with the show going off the rails and doing its own thing compared to the books. But if that's the route they're going, I'd at least want that original material and original writing to make some sense and have some internal consistency, which is what I felt so much of Season 5 was lacking.

Rewatching some of season 5 on HBO now and I'd forgotten how dumb some of it was. The Hardhome scene was amazing but so much else was just bad- from Sansa getting raped to the Sand Snakes (and Dorne in general) to Ramsay and his 20 Good Men to Stannis going down like a total chump. Ugh... I just hope for some better writing and consistent character development, that's all I ask for.
I wouldn't mind it doing its own thing if its own thing was at least as good as GRRM's material, but seeing as most of the original material is trash I'd rather they stick as close as possible to the books. Already too late for that though I suppose.

Pkaz01

I wouldn't mind it doing its own thing if its own thing was at least as good as GRRM's material, but seeing as most of the original material is trash I'd rather they stick as close as possible to the books. Already too late for that though I suppose.

Way too late for that, i wonder if it will be harder to judge the quality of their made up shit when we don't know the alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom