• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

I can't believe its finally happening.
Book readers may be spoiled big time today !!!

New era.
Eh whatever. Even if the broad strokes are right I'd still rather read them over what this show has become. But seeing as this is basically a loose adaption of an alternative universe I don't care too much.

I know some people will hate very specific story lines tonight, I'm just gonna laugh and roll with it.

TheFatOne

Not really a big GoT fan, but they better not drag out the obvious John Snow revival. The last two books have really hurt the show overall though.

CassSept

I can't believe its finally happening.
Book readers may be spoiled big time today !!!

New era.

The show had already confirmed several theories and some of the plotlines from the book had diverged to the extent that they are nothing like their book counterpart.

Violater

I think the showrunners have said that season 6 doesn't spoil The Winds of Winter.

Lol in season 5 alone

Tyrion Met Daney
Shyrene got killed
Stannis is dead

Just to name a few things, book purists may still hold on to the thought that these things may play out differently in TWOW. Personally I think the show is just a culling of the pointless plot lines GRRM has been toiling over for years.
Anything forward is a book spoiler.

Henkka

Banned
He's one guy with one hand against Big Black Man With An Axe and The Bad Pussies.

How well do you think he'd do?

Well, maybe he didn't have to murder everyone by himself... But I mean, surely Doran and Trystane care a little bit that Myrcella was just assassinated? Unless they were in on it.

Kain

I promised the gf I'd hold out and wait until we could watch together. I'll do it, but first I'm going to read the fuck out of the thread tomorrow. No regrets (I hope)

Gigglepoo

For example fleshing out the world with Quentyn Martell, what exactly did his existence achieve?

Gave us insight into Doran's plan, the Windblown, Tatered Prince, and Yunkai along with the relationships between the two great houses of Dorne, the Martell's and Yronwoods. Plus, his story showed Dany's reluctance to pursue Westeros and her push to block out her own desires for the greater good. All the people pursuing Dany are going to further and build on her character for different reasons.

We also saw how to (potentially) coral a dragon without Targ blood and he was the one who unleashed two dragons in a place on the precipice of war.

His story (and the ramifications of his actions) are still being felt.

Violater

Well yes, but it helps to have one more example, and sours an important Western family against her at the same time.

Gave us insight into Doran's plan, the Windblown, Tatered Prince, and Yunkai along with the relationships between the two great houses of Dorne, the Martell's and Yronwoods. Plus, his story showed Dany's reluctance to pursue Westeros and her push to block out her own desires for the greater good. All the people pursuing Dany are going to further and build on her character for different reasons.

We also saw how to (potentially) coral a dragon without Targ blood and he was the one who unleashed two dragons in a place on the precipice of war.

His story (and the ramifications of his actions) are still being felt.

No one in Westeros gives a flying fig about Danys character.
We already knew she was not going to pursue Westeros in a hurry, (not because of her character but because GRRM wants to drag his decades long writing schedule out lol ).
Danys constant half measures only results in a mess being made.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My characters who come back from death are worse for wear. In some ways, they're not even the same characters anymore. The body may be moving, but some aspect of the spirit is changed or transformed, and they've lost something. - GRRM

Do we think that Show Jon will be negatively changed in some way after he's revived (if so, in what way? Does he forget his siblings? Does he forget Arya?) or do we think that they'll just skip over that element of ASOIAF resurrection (I can't remember what Beric was like on the show and if he was changed at all by his resurrections?) because he's a popular character?

Gigglepoo

No one in Westeros gives a flying fig about Danys character.
We already knew she was not going to pursue Westeros in a hurry, (not because of her character but because GRRM wants to drag his decades long writing schedule out lol ).
Danys constant half measures only results in a mess being made.

So you don't care if the world and characters are fleshed out. That's cool. But that hardly makes those other plot lines worthless.

ryseing

OK, so I'm new to HBO Go, will I be able to watch the episode as it airs tonight, or is that just for HBO now?

Just warning you that if it's anything like last year the servers are going to literally be on fire. I have a Now sub but I'm watching it at a friend's house via cable because I want to see it live.

Do we think that Show Jon will be negatively changed in some way after he's revived (if so, in what way? Does he forget his siblings? Does he forget Arya?) or do we think that they'll just skip over that element of ASOIAF resurrection (I can't remember what Beric was like on the show and if he was changed at all by his resurrections?) because he's a popular character?

I forgot who had this theory but if Jon is in Ghost before he is revived maybe he'll take some of those traits along with him, being a bit more feral and aggressive. I think Varamyr said something about that too.

I guess since I read the first 3 books and then caught up on most major and missing arcs recently I should stick to this thread.

Reading people's analysis of my man Dillane/Stannis legit made me angry (and made me realize I should stick to this thread lest I slip a line about the letter he wrote to Davos) D&D why. Hopefully we get the Ironborn/Aegon plotlines this season but I doubt we're getting the latter since Dany seems to be absorbing all of that. Ugh.

Violet_0

Banned
what are the odds of Jon becoming the GoT equivalent of Arthas? I suppose he won't be resurrected by the White Walkers, huh

Ozium

Hasn't Martin said that Sand Snakes are overall very important to GOT story?

You can't just sign up for HBO Now online? WHAT THE FUCK.

you need to sign up via mobile or chromecast or other bullshit... I've heard the reason was so that other places handle the payment (google play store, app store, etc.) but then why not just use amazon/google payments on your website?

it's dumb as fuck

Beric mentioned being "less" every time he came back, I believe it was something like "felt like pieces of him were being chipped away".

what are the odds of Jon becoming the GoT equivalent of Arthas? I suppose he won't be resurrected by the White Walkers, huh

More and more I'm starting to believe that fan theory that the surviving Starks are gonna become the main villains once the White Walkers come.

ACR0019

What's strange is that the Sand Snakes scene wasn't as bad for me this time. Still not great, but it wasn't the abysmal failure I remember.

What's strange is that the Sand Snakes scene wasn't as bad for me this time. Still not great, but it wasn't the abysmal failure I remember.

I don't see how anyone can hear the bad pussy quote without wondering out loud what the fuck are they watching.

It's from watching alot of Power Rangers fight scenes.

At least power rangers fights have sparks and explosions to distract from the bad choreography.

ACR0019

I don't see how anyone can hear the bad pussy quote without wondering out loud what the fuck are they watching.

At least power rangers fights have sparks and explosions to distract from the bad choreography.

Oh that scene is...something. I've no clue what D&D were thinking.

"The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant" amazing

Cock merchants was just how it was back in medieval times. Stop trying to censor artists. Tyrion has a cock and was taken prisoner, it would have been realistic to not include a cock merchant. What did you people think was going to happen?!

Current anticipation level for season 6:

bZNjJll.gif

TripOpt55

Really excited for the premiere. I was disappointed with last season, but there was still plenty I liked. Most curious to see how they bring back Jon and where Dany's plot goes next. Hoping they can get Jaime and Sansa's storylines headed in a compelling direction again after last season.

Brakke

Banned
That's a bad answer. If a character with multiple POV chapters purpose is to fulfill a line in a prophesy that's a problem.

Prophecies are always the worst.

Isn't she a teen tho. Kids are super bad at seduction. If the point of the line is to show that she's an idiot who happens to be hot and Bron is an idiot who just likes nice tits, then it "works". Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the show wants us to think it's sexy...

Aiii

So not worth it
Not at all excited for this season, the only non-book storyline they did well was the Hardhome episode, and maybe the one scene with the baby sacrifice.

Going by most of the comments here, I guess this means I will be one of the few people tomorrow that won't be disappointed. So there is that.

Oh that scene is...something. I've no clue what D&D were thinking.
Apparently they only had that water gardens location for a week to film all of the scenes there, doesn't change the quality of the scenes, but it's not exactly surprising.
Cock merchants was just how it was back in medieval times. Stop trying to censor artists. Tyrion has a cock and was taken prisoner, it would have been realistic to not include a cock merchant. What did you people think was going to happen?!

Oh, I legit think it's a great line, fun delivery.

Ithil

We will either see an improvement, or we may enter what can be called the WCW 2000 era of GoT.
There is no middle ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom