• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loke13

Not at all excited for this season, the only non-book storyline they did well was the Hardhome episode, and maybe the one scene with the baby sacrifice.

Going by most of the comments here, I guess this means I will be one of the few people tomorrow that won't be disappointed. So there is that.
I feel like tHey handled Arya well (as usual) and Danys storyline. Same goes for Cersei.

Dysun

Do we think that Show Jon will be negatively changed in some way after he's revived (if so, in what way? Does he forget his siblings? Does he forget Arya?) or do we think that they'll just skip over that element of ASOIAF resurrection (I can't remember what Beric was like on the show and if he was changed at all by his resurrections?) because he's a popular character?

I've always felt that the prologue of ADWD is pure set up for Jon not being changed the same way that others who die and are resurrected are.His soul never really dies and returns just changes bodies temporarily ala the Bran vision of a man become wolf, become man.

Could be different since the show is dropping the JonWarg angle altogether it seems

Ponn

Banned
We will either see an improvement, or we may enter what can be called the WCW 2000 era of GoT.
There is no middle ground.

Will we have Winter's Coming Girls dancing after every battle? Will they randomly run in and hit an attacker with a chair from behind? I can't say I wouldn't want to see a show like that, at least once.

NeoGiff

Never mind the Power Pussies, the real question is whether or not there'll be any oysters, clams, or cockles in the premiere.

Do we think that Show Jon will be negatively changed in some way after he's revived (if so, in what way? Does he forget his siblings? Does he forget Arya?) or do we think that they'll just skip over that element of ASOIAF resurrection (I can't remember what Beric was like on the show and if he was changed at all by his resurrections?) because he's a popular character?

That's a great question. The show went out of its way to mention how Beric was "less" each time he was revived. I would hope that this wasn't just a random plot element and has some significance to future characters, I.E. Jon. I could see them going down the easy route and have Jon lose his "sympathy" for others, which would open up a "revenge" plot and strengthen his focus on defeating the White Walkers. I guess I'm just rehashing Lady Stoneheart to a MUCH lesser degree.

Ithil

Will we have Winter's Coming Girls dancing after every battle? Will they randomly run in and hit an attacker with a chair from behind? I can't say I wouldn't want to see a show like that, at least once.

And we never will find out who was riding the white Hanoverian who trampled down Ramsay in an anticlimactic ending.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
With the 8th book rumor, we'll be lucky to see the end in a decade.

I am sorry for saying this, but looking at GRRM's health and how he works, we are not going to see the end of the books. At least not by him. His productivity (whatever little there is) is only going to decline as he ages.

I am sorry for saying this, but looking at GRRM's health and how he works, we are not going to see the end of the books. At least not by him. His productivity (whatever little there is) is only going to decline as he ages.

Yeah, everyone should have resigned themselves to the fact that we most likely aren't getting a conclusion in book form.

And if we do, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Put yourself in his shoes:

-You're almost 70 years old

-You have more money than God

-You already have legions of adoring fans and the respect of the academic and literary community.

-Your Magnum Opus has already been adapted into a smash hit TV show that has near univeral acclaim and is gonna conclude the story anyway regardless of whether the books come out.

With all that in mind, its no wonder if he just can't muster up the motivation to write 2000+ pages anymore. Not every author is Stephen King.

suzu

I wonder if Jon is going to get ressed straight up like Beric or if he warged into Ghost.

Also I hope Ghost doesn't get hurt or dies. :<

-You already have legions of adoring fans and the respect of the academic and literary community.

-Your Magnum Opus has already been adapted into a smash hit TV show that has near univeral acclaim and is gonna conclude the story anyway regardless of whether the books come out.

With all that in mind, its no wonder if he just can't muster up the motivation to write 2000+ pages anymore. Not every author is Stephen King.

You can add three shows currently in development at HBO/Cinemax to his plate as well.

I wonder if there's a "catch" to Jon's resurrection, like he's technically being reanimated by a benevolent force like Bran or Bloodraven vs. the force animating the wights. Aside from him losing his memory (which was a damn good suggestion), I feel like there's got to be some sort of fragility to his return that doesn't allow him to have all the plot armor moving forward.

The wait must be especially excruciating for people who have been following the books as they came out. The first 3 books came out within 4 years, and then...ugh.

One thing I see possibly negatively effecting his writing is now that the show has passed the books there is no ''rush'' anymore. I think he would have liked to get WoW out well before season 6 but now it's just ''fuck it'' when it comes to the book-show connection. There is no hope for him catching up, it's not even impossible for S7 to come out before WoW or very soon after.

Gigglepoo

One thing I see possibly negatively effecting his writing is now that the show has passed the books there is no ''rush'' anymore. I think he would have liked to get WoW out well before season 6 but now it's just ''fuck it'' when it comes to the show. There is no hope for him catching up, it's not even impossible for S7 to come out before WoW or very soon after.

That sounds like a good thing. Why would I want him to rush? I want him to take as much time to make the next two (or three) books as brilliant as the first five.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Oh I agree. Thats one more reason why he will write even slower now, if thats even possible lol.

The wait must be especially excruciating for people who have been following the books as they came out. The first 3 books came out within 4 years, and then...ugh.

Yeah. I am glad I read the books in 2013. The show will now take it forward (even if the last season sucked pretty hard).

One thing I see possibly negatively effecting his writing is now that the show has passed the books there is no ''rush'' anymore. I think he would have liked to get WoW out well before season 6 but now it's just ''fuck it'' when it comes to the book-show connection. There is no hope for him catching up, it's not even impossible for S7 to come out before WoW or very soon after.

Yeah. I have accepted the fate that we arent getting the book conclusion.

That sounds like a good thing. Why would I want him to rush? I want him to take as much time to make the next two (or three) books as brilliant as the first five.

But the last two books (which he took 12 years or so to write) are pretty bad.

cj_iwakura

I'm excited to know what's going to happen next, it's obvious this is more than Martin's going to give us. At least we have that.

NeoGiff

I was going to rewatch from Hardhome to the season 5 finale tonight, but I think I'll just rewatch Justified instead. I wonder how Raylan would react to the Sand Snakes.

Is there anyone here who has actually followed the series since 1996?

I can't even begin to imagine how the wait must be for you.

I've followed it since late 1999 right after ACOK released in the US. The waiting actually gets easier because it's just a part of life and you no longer have expectations. It's the sweet summer children who keep thinking that GRRM is definitely going to write the new book faster after each one that get burned. Like with anything, it's the new converts that tend to be the most zealous, I'm mostly okay with reading these things when they come out.

suzu

Is there anyone here who has actually followed the series since 1996?

I can't even begin to imagine how the wait must be for you.

I got into the series sometime around 2002 or 2003.. before A Feast for Crows. At the time I thought the wait for that book was long, hahaha.

What they're good at? All I can think of is winning a bunch of undeserved Emmys.

They've made one of the most successful shows in cable/premium TV history, created a product that's reached mainstream cultural relevance, won a ton of critical accolades, and earned a ton of money. It's kind of silly to say that they haven't been good at what they're doing.

I wouldn't go that far but one thing is certain: he will not finish the books unless he changes his behavior, and to be frank I have no reason to believe he'll do that. Martin deserved to take a victory lap after ADWD (during the press tour). But instead of getting back to work in 2012 he once again stuffed his schedule. IIRC by 2013 he had around 400 pages of TWOW, half of which were originally from Dance.

Let's assume (lol) that Winds comes out next year, say in the spring. So all year will be the book tour, and then I guarantee you in 2018 he'll once again have more conventions, more appearances, etc pumped in.

I get it, he likes cons and probably knows he doesn't have much time left to attend them. But at some point he needs to decide to sit down, write, and only attend a couple events a year. But he won't so....

Brakke

Banned
can you warg if you're dead?

Depends on what you mean by "warg" and "are dead" I guess. In the book Varymyr (I think that was his name? Sixskins anyway) lived on in one of his wolves when he died. But when he was dying his plan was to take over a woman's body and live on in there. I think you have to be in your original body to warg? I don't think we see Varymyr warg out from the wolf once his human body is dead.

I think the way this works for book-Jon is: he wargs into Ghost as he dies, then Mel revives his body and Jon returns into it. In this way, Jon could weather a revival better than Dondarion did, by living on in Ghost and never properly dying. The books and show are in a different place on what's possible tho. I kind of always figured that Mel would burn Shireen for the kingsblood necessary to revive Jon, which she obviously can't do in the show... Also none of this Sixskins stuff has been on the show yet, so they haven't really foreshadowed body-hopping for survival.

Depends on what you mean by "warg" and "are dead" I guess. In the book Varymyr (I think that was his name? Sixskins anyway) lived on in one of his wolves when he died. But when he was dying his plan was to take over a woman's body and live on in there. I think you have to be in your original body to warg? I don't think we see Varymyr warg out from the wolf once his human body is dead.

I think the way this works for book-Jon is: he wargs into Ghost as he dies, then Mel revives his body and Jon returns into it. In this way, Jon could weather a revival better than Dondarion did, by living on in Ghost and never properly dying. The books and show are in a different place on what's possible tho. I kind of always figured that Mel would burn Shireen for the kingsblood necessary to revive Jon, which she obviously can't do in the show... Also none of this Sixskins stuff has been on the show yet, so they haven't really foreshadowed body-hopping for survival.

That's interesting, I hadn't really thought of that. By that logic, it's possible that a warg could have a relatively "penalty free" revival.

That's interesting, I hadn't really thought of that. By that logic, it's possible that a warg could have a relatively "penalty free" revival.

Pretty much. When I first read the ADWD prologue I knew Jon or Bran would "die" and figured it'd most likely be Jon. The prologue seems to solely exist to show how a warg can carry on after the body dies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Varmyr was rejected as he was trying to get into the woman's body. It was hard for him to even consider doing it because it was a forbidden notion, plus it takes a seriously powerful warg. I think not only was the prologue handled the way it was because of Jon warging into Ghost in the books, but also show how great Bran's warg powers has become.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
how do we know if stannis is really dead?

Because it said on the HBO website or something similar to that, plus there is nothing left for his character to do. His arc was completed. It would have been interesting had he survived and what they would have done with his character...probably take the black or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom