• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So I was rewatching the episode and actually thought about the Sam scenes.

Why does no one in his family, including his dick of a father, seem to care at all about him breaking his vows and having a kid?

Even in the books, I don't think most people who aren't in the NIght's Watch take the Night's Watch and their vows seriously. It's not a respected brotherhood like a religious organization. Maybe some of the more traditional Northern houses like the Starks might, but for most, it's just seen as the "loser boy scouts" where you send the disgraced, the dishonored, and the criminals to, so they don't mingle with the "normal" people.

Kozak

Banned
Absolutely, I was trying to say ham-fistedly that from the perspective of the people, that Tommen would be well liked and received. Whilst he hasn't ruled his kingdom sufficiently, he also hasn't made the mistakes his brother and father made (apart from listening to Cersei).

I love Tommen. Actor really pulls off the impressionable kid act imo.

As far as ruling, I reckon he's the best king he could be atm. Having the High Sparrow as his advisor would work imo but I don't think they have time to go that route.

Forkball

Why does no one in his family, including his dick of a father, seem to care at all about him breaking his vows and having a kid?
Randyll was too pissed off at the mere fact that she was a wildling to focus on that. His mom and sister love him no matter what and would forgive him. Plus I take it the Night's Watch is not treated so seriously in the south.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Because vows in the show are not something people take seriously, which annoys me since attempting to honour vows is a major theme in the books, and a source of dramatic tension.

i don't remember any examples in the books where people not involved with the night's watch cared about their vows (desertion of course being the exception). pretty sure they all know about mole's town.

Kozak

Banned
Arent vows and honour biggest in the North? Even Roose yapped on about that despite himself being a Northerner...(scum)

Didn't think they were so big everywhere else. Robert broke his weddings vows on the day he made them lol.

And as time goes by we see that honour and vows were really only important to the older lords who have now all but passed.

Iksenpets

Banned
The show has been great with casting in general, I think that's part of why Euron seems so mediocre - it just isn't a very good casting. Plus they went about it quite lazily too, where's the eyepatch, the warlock stuff and the dragon horn and the mute crew? He just comes off as a douchebag who purely relies on his status as Ironborn nobility, much like Theon was.

Hoping we'll see at least some of the above in future eps, but all of that should've been presented up front to properly establish him as a dangerous player, not some tertiary shithead that gets killed off at a convenient plot point.

I'm really not sure where they're going with Euron. I think it's understandable that they didn't want to do eyepatches and blue lips, and that they wanted to cast someone who looked like Theon, but I can't tell if they're dropping the entire mystical side of that character and just reworking him as a really good pirate, or if they're just trying to roll out his connections to the mystical side of the story more slowly, and he'll start giving his men shade of the evening and performing blood sacrifices at some point during his raids on the reach. After the new Damphair chapter got read at a con over the weekend, I really want to see that scene of
him tying priests to the prows of ships as sacrifices before battle.

Nodnol

I know it has been mentioned, a lot, since the series was first published, but the themes and comparisons with European/British history continues to grow.

To dumb it down a bit (a lot), it'll be interesting to see if the War of the Five Kings results in similar ripples to the War of the Rose I.E. Noble infighting lessens their prominence in society moving forward.

Combine that with a religious shakeup and an empowered lower class (Henry VIII/Anne Boleyn (Margery)), and I wonder if the series ends not with another war, but a charter to distribute power accordingly (Magna Carta). GRRM likes to pick bits and pieces from different historical figures and events and jumble things up a bit, but you know what I mean. In any event, Tommen's story at the moment is probably as important as Jon's and Dany's.

Morts

This bugged me too. Ned would cut Sam's head off.

PatjuhR

Father probably happy he atleast showed something of him being a real man.

JakeD

Everyone, even LC Mormont, looks the other way when the nights watch gets with whores from molestown. IIRC this is true in the books as well where vows are taken much more seriously.

This is so incredibly good. Poor Pilou Asbek.

It really is, Euron in the books is SO much more interesting than he is in the show.
This also confirms that Aeron was often raped as a child by Euron. Lord the Ironborn are all fucked.

I still love Euron going "build me a 1000 ships", when the Ironborn only go raiding because their shit-stained rocks have no natural resources whatsoever.

Can we also discuss just how ridiculous 1000 ships really is? Where do you keep them? How do you get that much wood? How long will it take? In the books it's what? 137 ships? Why do we suddenly need 1000? Hell the biggest navies in history didn't have that many actual ships.

NOTHING about Iron Born culture makes sense in either the show or the books. A culture that stupid, backwards, and hostile would've wiped itself out in less than a century.

For historical reference, the Norse whom they were obviously based on were nowhere near as stupid or bloodthirsty as the Iron Born (they traded with the Europeans far more than they raided them) and eventually accepted becoming Christianized and more like their enemies cause it meant getting more stuff. None of this "Iron Price" bullshit.

The Ironborn returning to being raiders and the like is a fairly recent event. Basically Balon is an idiot and decided that he was going to be Harren the Black reborn. It didn't work out. At least the last time we knew that the Ironborn had power, they basically owned all of the Riverlands, so they had a source of food, and a fairly large army. But in the history of the seven kingdoms post Aegon, they have generally been pretty chill and converted to the Seven. So it's not like they have been a constant source of uprisings and attacking their nieghbors.

The problem is religious fanatics with delusions of grandeur took over.

mantidor

I'm really, really curious about Margeary, what is her plan? No way she actually convert to the faith, that would be the biggest character assasination this show could done.

I don't know why but I have the hunch she will get rid of Tommen, a kid that is so easily manipulated seem like a great deal until we realize he can be manipulated by anyone with a brain.

Forkball

I'm really, really curious about Margeary, what is her plan? No way she actually convert to the faith, that would be the biggest character assasination this show could done.

I don't know why but I have the hunch she will get rid of Tommen, a kid that is so easily manipulated seem like a great deal until we realize he can be manipulated by anyone with a brain.
Her number one goal right now is probably to save Loras. After that, I guess she aims to undermine the Faith. But they probably know this and won't give up Loras so easily. I love the Faith storyline because it challenges the characters beliefs and self-esteem, plus it is completely unpredictable and could erupt into a hurricane of violence at any moment.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I really hope that next season brings Dany to King's Landing. It feels like she hasn't had anything to do since forever. I want her in the fray.

You mean like 2 of the last 3 episodes? What the hell have you been watching?

We just had a season and a half of Arya training to become an assassin, and now she's not actually going to become an assassin.

Dany has basically just been moving from place to place for six episodes, has not been under any real threat, and is going to return to Mereen and the status quo.

The High Sparrow stuff is absolutely infuriating and is moving at a glacial pace. And as someone said before, it's a dumb sitcom scenario where if people would just talk rather than try to out-sly each other, things would get solved.

Two different people showed up in this past episode that were apparently supposed to be important dramatic reveals, and both times my wife and I looked at each other like, "Who is that?"

Sam and Gilly have a long conversation about, "Make sure you don't say this thing." which leads to a dinner where obviously the thing gets said and OOOOH DRAMA

Maybe "nothing happens" is not the right way to put it but the show is attempting to do dramatic things but has lost all sense of consequences. It doesn't feel anything like the show it used to. When Oberon and The Mountain went into trial by combat, I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen, and shocked at what actually did. Now you have things like pretend drama for two episodes about whether Jon is going to come back to life or not when it's blatantly obvious that he will.

I really hope that next season brings Dany to King's Landing. It feels like she hasn't had anything to do since forever. I want her in the fray.

I hope shes on her way at the end of this season to be honest.

I'm thinking the
Night's King brings down the wall at the end of the season.

Sean C

We just had a season and a half of Arya training to become an assassin, and now she's not actually going to become an assassin.
Arya was never going to become an assassin. She's a Stark, not No One. The point of that story was to increase her skills at combat, and test the strength of her identity.

Interfectum

Dany has basically just been moving from place to place for six episodes, has not been under any real threat, and is going to return to Mereen and the status quo.

The High Sparrow stuff is absolutely infuriating and is moving at a glacial pace. And as someone said before, it's a dumb sitcom scenario where if people would just talk rather than try to out-sly each other, things would get solved.

Two different people showed up in this past episode that were apparently supposed to be important dramatic reveals, and both times my wife and I looked at each other like, "Who is that?"

Sam and Gilly have a long conversation about, "Make sure you don't say this thing." which leads to a dinner where obviously the thing gets said and OOOOH DRAMA

Maybe "nothing happens" is not the right way to put it but the show is attempting to do dramatic things but has lost all sense of consequences. It doesn't feel anything like the show it used to. When Oberon and The Mountain went into trial by combat, I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen, and shocked at what actually did. Now you have things like pretend drama for two episodes about whether Jon is going to come back to life or not when it's blatantly obvious that he will.

I agree with this. I feel like the show is getting weaker and more contrived with each passing season. The High Sparrow shit gets drawn out over multiple seasons while the creation of the white walkers gets explained in literally 5 seconds.

Also I don't feel a sense of dread anymore in the show. Besides Ramsey, who is a comic book villain at this point, I don't feel like any of the big characters are in mortal danger and when they are you can see it coming from a mile away.

dany-on-dragon-back.gif

Chills man. CHILLS.

Also I don't feel a sense of dread anymore in the show. Besides Ramsey, who is a comic book villain at this point, I don't feel like any of the big characters are in mortal danger and when they are you can see it coming from a mile away.

Yes, this is the biggest problem I have. This was a show where I used to think anything could happen and no one was safe. This is a show that killed off what many assumed was its main character at the end of the first season. And now it feels like there is no real danger to the "heroes."

mantidor

What? Have we been watching the same show? None of this can be solved by "talking", the sparrow outsmarted them all. This complain makes no sense to me.

What? Have we been watching the same show? None of this can be solved by "talking", the sparrow outsmarted them all. This complain makes no sense to me.

He didn't outsmart them. Marjory (sp?) is lying and attempting to do some dirty business behind the scenes. At least I hope to god that's what's happening, because if she really did convert to the faith then this show is even dumber than I thought.

mantidor

He didn't outsmart them. Marjory (sp?) is lying and attempting to do some dirty business behind the scenes. At least I hope to god that's what's happening, because if she really did convert to the faith then this show is even dumber than I thought.

Yes? What does this has to do with it being a "sitcom" scenario?

Joni

There was an entire whorehouse built around servicing the Night's Watch in the books.

Lothar

Banned
Arya was never going to become an assassin. She's a Stark, not No One. The point of that story was to increase her skills at combat, and test the strength of her identity.

It doesn't look like she really increased her skills at combat. The last time we saw her against the Waif, she was getting her ass kicked, the same as she was when she started 1 1/2 seasons ago.

mantidor

It doesn't look like she really increased her skills at combat. The last time we saw her against the Waif, she was getting her ass kicked, the same as she was when she started 1 1/2 seasons ago.

She beat the Waif, while blind.

Her last scene was she going into a dark room with Needle and blowing out a candle, what do you think this is hinting at?

And it's also painfully obvious she is going to steal faces.

She is not Arya from 1 1/2 seasons ago, like, at all.

bremon

It also makes it pretty clear what one of Dany's House of the Undying visions was. Kind of crazy that the end to that chapter is something planned since at least back then.
Could you extrapolate on this for those among us who are a bit rusty on the books?

Lothar

Banned
She beat the Waif, while blind.

Her last scene was she going into a dark room with Needle and blowing out a candle, what do you think this is hinting at?

And it's also painfully obvious she is going to steal faces.

She is not Arya from 1 1/2 seasons ago, like, at all.

The fact that she couldn't beat her after she regained her eyesight tells us with that the Waif must have went easy on her while she was blind. If she isn't skilled enough to beat her sighted, how could she have done it blind? If they're telling us that she's become a better fighter, they've done a piss poor job of showing that.

mantidor

The fact that she couldn't beat her after she regained her eyesight tells us with that the Waif must have went easy on her while she was blind. If she isn't skilled enough to beat her sighted, how could she have done it blind? If they're telling us that she's become a better fighter, they've done a piss poor job of showing that.

They didn't want to overpower her, it makes their coming showdown more interesting, I really don't get these complaints.

Even Jaqen was dissapointed, she obviously has the talents the FM need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom