• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzanadra

Show has become a joke since last season.

I need the book :(

At the very least we are getting new content. I have started to realize the reason I am enjoying this season is not so much because of the quality, but because its been 6 goddamn years and I have finally glad to see where the story goes for some characters. Kind of crazy, but some characters are still in there AFFC plot lines.

Though I think I have come to realize the type of audience GOT caters too. I got a new job recently, and a co-worker (a few days ago) explained to me why he was so hyped for the latest episode. I am paraphrasing, but it went something like this:

Him: "Man, I can't wait until the next episode of Game of Thrones. Its tomorrow. So exited! You watch it?"

Me: "Yeah."

Him: "Can't wait until Margaery does her walk of shame. She's so hot!"

Me: "I don't think she will."

Him: "Fuck, why not?

Me: "Just a hunch based on some leaks."

Him: "Yeah? I liked that scene last season...speaking of, I was disappointed to find out Cersei's actress used a body double. She's pretty hot too, just not as much as Margaery."

At this point, I just said "ok".

Madness

The show has ruined Jaime for me. We saw glimpses of brightness with his speech in the tub with Brienne, rescuing her from the bear, his scenes with Brienne, even the "there's still time" to fill his pages in the book. Character did a 180 pretty much from how he was shaping up to be. I wanted the 'defeated by the young wolf' to be written with his left hand in the book.

Likewise, Cersei story is a 180 from the books where she is shown as dumber than she thinks, makes all sorts of mistakes and alienates everyone including Jaime. But it's probably that they want to make Lena Headey sympathetic. The walk of shame rather than people feel that Cersei finally got some comeuppance, she became the victim of slut shaming by religious fanatica etc.

Azzanadra

Now I hope Loras does the Walk of Shame.

Speaking of, did Marg just throw Loras under the bus? There were no "sideway" glances or shots of her face that showed much emotion during the scene so I couldn't make out what her game was. Part of me thinks she wanted the Tyrell army to kill the Sparrows, or maybe she is playing the long-con? I really doubt she has become a devote convert all of a sudden.

Well for what its worth, as much as people hate the Sparrows I have no sympathy for the Lannisters or Tyrells so it will be fun watching them destroy each other.

Kusagari

The problem with Ramsay in the show has always been how characters just lose all intelligence when sucked into his plot.

Whether it be Yara, Stannis or Roose they all act out of character or nonsensical so Ramsay can have what he needs happen.

The bad writing is so obvious when it comes to this stuff.

KahooTs

Arya will go back to Jaqen or they'll have to come up with some crazy contrived way for her to learn to change faces as they're obviously not going to leave that ability on the table. Or maybe she'll just magically know how to do it herself.

bitbydeath

Arya will go back to Jaqen or they'll have to come up with some crazy contrived way for her to learn to change faces as they're obviously not going to leave that ability on the table. Or maybe she'll just magically know how to do it herself.

What if Arya is Jaqen and Jaqen is Arya and the waif is being put to the test.

Speevy

Banned
The closing shot of the season has to be either Walkers breaching the Wall or LSH, right?

I don't think they're going to do the Battle for the Dawn until next season, so my guess is that the final scenes entail (previews)

the aftermath of the battle between Jon and Ramsay

and

the aftermath of the battle between the Sparrows and...um...Cersei?

Iksenpets

Banned
The problem with Ramsay in the show has always been how characters just lose all intelligence when sucked into his plot.

Whether it be Yara, Stannis or Roose they all act out of character or nonsensical so Ramsay can have what he needs happen.

Listing the people Ramsay has bested in the show out like that really makes it clear how ridiculous their Ramsay is. That's three characters who are supposed to be pretty strong and intimidating thrown under the bus to build up Ramsay.

Kozak

Banned
What I don't quite understand about the White Walker story is Bran's involvement and importance.

Benjen seemed to indicate that Bran would be a big player. Will face the Night's King and will be ready by that point.

What is "ready"?

I'm excited to see where his story goes. The only arc where I really can't predict what will come next or be confident in any assumptions.

Like Osha :( Worst death in the series by far

Speevy

Banned
What I don't quite understand about the White Walker story is Bran's involvement and importance.

Benjen seemed to indicate that Bran would be a big player. Will face the Night's King and will be ready by that point.

What is "ready"?

I'm excited to see where his story goes. The only arc where I really can't predict what will come next or be confident in any assumptions.

My guess is that he becomes like Professor X and can stop the walkers with his mind or something stupid like that.

hydruxo

What is "ready"?

Like Osha :( Worst death in the series by far

Well "ready" would mean he's basically become the new Three Eyed Raven, but Bran's training got cut short so he's still unable to fully control / understand his powers.

Branduil

NOTHING about Iron Born culture makes sense in either the show or the books. A culture that stupid, backwards, and hostile would've wiped itself out in less than a century.

For historical reference, the Norse whom they were obviously based on were nowhere near as stupid or bloodthirsty as the Iron Born (they traded with the Europeans far more than they raided them) and eventually accepted becoming Christianized and more like their enemies cause it meant getting more stuff. None of this "Iron Price" bullshit.
Yep. Book Iron Born are the Dorne of the boss.

duckroll

Well "ready" would mean he's basically become the new Three Eyed Raven, but Bran's training got cut short so he's still unable to fully control / understand his powers.

Yeah but the question remains why it has to be him and what difference that makes. I mean, if the Three Eyed Raven is a title that comes with all this power, why couldn't the previous one just do whatever it is that's needed to be done?

I don't think they're going to do the Battle for the Dawn until next season, so my guess is that the final scenes entail (previews)

the aftermath of the battle between Jon and Ramsay

and

the aftermath of the battle between the Sparrows and...um...Cersei?

I don't think Walkers breaching the Wall marks for the beginning of a battle rather than all the Northern Houses shitting themselves and scrambling to inform all the other kingdoms and start building a resistance. Unless the Walkers borrow LF teleporter I could see the last few shorter seasons being them slowly creeping south.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My guess is that he becomes like Professor X and can stop the walkers with his mind or something stupid like that.

It stands to reason that if they can make White Walkers there must've been a control mechanism at some point. Otherwise creating them would've been suicide.

duckroll

It stands to reason that if they can make White Walkers there must've been a control mechanism at some point. Otherwise creating them would've been suicide.

Well it's also obvious whatever they might have planned obviously didn't work, and since they're all dead now, it -was- suicide. :p

CLEEK

Yeah but the question remains why it has to be him and what difference that makes. I mean, if the Three Eyed Raven is a title that comes with all this power, why couldn't the previous one just do whatever it is that's needed to be done?

Because he'd accidentally climbed up a tree and got stuck up there.

Burt

Bran got that mobility advantage over him

Sledge pulled by giant doofus > roots grown through the body

I think it's implied Bran is a naturally powerful warg and his immobility only strengthened it. Plus he's a Stark.

bitbydeath

I think the tree had merged with him so he couldn't leave.

Funny they send a cripple in to do the job though.

The mechanism was dragon glass weapons. Kills them easy. Something else must have happened to make things get out of hand

duckroll

Because he'd accidentally climbed up a tree and got stuck up there.

Bran got that mobility advantage over him

Sledge pulled by giant doofus > roots grown through the body

I think the tree had merged with him so he couldn't leave.

Funny they send a cripple in to do the job though.

For an all powerful mage character who can see all of the past, and presumably knows much about the future, he sure sucks at personal life decisions!

These kind of stupid origin explanations for enigmatic enemies drives me crazy because they never seem to recognize that the answer isn't important, in fact, giving an answer makes it worse because nothing you come up with will be satisfying (hello Mass Effect 3).

Usually with Frankenstein abominations the only reason it happens is because the very nature of the process is experimental and unknown. Here there appears to be a very sophisticated ritual in place, which raises the worst kind of logical questions.

Speevy

Banned
Really don't see a problem with "let's go kill them". Sounds like reaching for a complaint.

It's "Let's go murder them." and let me count the ways.

1) It reemphasizes how nonchalant these people are about murder, especially the murder of two members of a house seat whose names they were cheering an hour ago, or however much time has passed.

2) Euron just came back from drowning, and this is what he wants to do. I have almost drowned before, and believe me, I didn't feel like doing shit afterwards.

3) Unless they're blind, they should already know that Yara and Theon ran. If it was their desire to stop them, maybe uh...before the coronation ceremony?

4) The way the men are walking up the hill looks so silly for words. They look like they're trick or treating.

5) It really hammers home how D and D consider murder to be a quick fix for every situation. Revenge, murder, murder, revenge, Over and over and over. Forget building up this new character with his own story. Let's kill some more existing characters.

Why didn't Yara gather all the men loyal to her and challenge Euron further? She doesn't give a shit about Dany. Is this The Amazing Race?

duckroll

"Let's go kill them" is a great line and fits the show Euron perfectly. In fact, out of all the ridiculous shit he talked at the Kingsmoot, straight up telling people to go find Yara and Theon and kill them is probably the most realistic and practical thing he has said. It's a goal which can actually be achieved. There's nothing wrong with the line.

What people clearly dislike is how Euron is portrayed in the first place, and once you have that hangup, it's easy to project that disdain into any part of the performance and presentation of the character no matter how minute or inconsequential.

munchie64

It's "Let's go murder them." and let me count the ways.

1) It reemphasizes how nonchalant these people are about murder, especially the murder of two members of a house seat whose names they were cheering an hour ago, or however much time has passed.

2) Euron just came back from drowning, and this is what he wants to do. I have almost drowned before, and believe me, I didn't feel like doing shit afterwards.

3) Unless they're blind, they should already know that Yara and Theon ran. If it was their desire to stop them, maybe uh...before the coronation ceremony?

4) The way the men are walking up the hill looks so silly for words. They look like they're trick or treating.

5) It really hammers home how D and D consider murder to be a quick fix for every situation. Revenge, murder, murder, revenge, Over and over and over. Forget building up this new character with his own story. Let's kill some more existing characters.

Why didn't Yara gather all the men loyal to her and challenge Euron further? She doesn't give a shit about Dany. Is this The Amazing Race?
That really is reaching haha

Edit: to clarify, four of those points don't have anything to do with the line at all. The final one... he didn't kill them so why does it matter?

Speevy

Banned
"Let's go kill them" is a great line and fits the show Euron perfectly. In fact, out of all the ridiculous shit he talked at the Kingsmoot, straight up telling people to go find Yara and Theon and kill them is probably the most realistic and practical thing he has said. It's a goal which can actually be achieved. There's nothing wrong with the line.

What people clearly dislike is how Euron is portrayed in the first place, and once you have that hangup, it's easy to project that disdain into any part of the performance and presentation of the character no matter how minute or inconsequential.

I would actually bet money that the latest Aeron chapter is making its way into one of those book vs. show images, and the show side says "Let's go murder them."

Massa

She read the latest TWOW chapter and
saw what happened to people who contest Euron's victory at the Kingsmoot.

This thread in a nutshell.

I do find it hilarious that being able to 'undrown' yourself is a necessary skill to become the Leader of the Iron Islands. I immediately imagined an Old West town where they choose the Sheriff by hanging people.

Speevy

Banned
I gave show Euron a chance after he tossed Balon off the bridge, but he's just not a very good character as the show has portrayed him.

Like...I'm remembering the scene when Theon shows up in season 2 and reunites with his family. He starts telling these hardened reavers that he's their boss, and they're just like fuck off.

This guy doesn't seem any more impressive than Theon was at that moment.

Lothar

Banned
Really don't see a problem with "let's go kill them". Sounds like reaching for a complaint.

Everyone just got finished chanting her name and were ready to accept her as leader, and she's always been presented as one of the most respected people on the island. But because Balon said he has a big cock, they're ready to go alone with killing her. Every single line in that scene was terrible but "Let's go murder them" was by far the worst.

If you'll defend that line, you'd defend anything they put on the show.

Speevy

Banned
Funny enough, George R.R. Martin himself wrote a similar line for Tyrion at the Battle of Blackwater.

He says "There are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"

The difference is that Tyrion is joking around about the nature of war, and it rouses the men while still keeping with his character. There's also much more to the speech.

All I know about Euron is that he's a killer. Okay, got plenty of those. He has a big cock and a lot of confidence, which doesn't impress Dany at all, something I know from previous seasons. He's planning to build 1,000 ships. Even taking aside the ridiculousness of this goal, it would take a tremendous amount of time. Like...years, which the show storyline doesn't have.

As far as I can tell, the ironborn are very stupid and will follow anyone. So they lost one stupid leader and are about to back another. Sounds tedious.

Chances are the Night King is a Warg of the same power as the Three-Eyed Raven. The power imbued into amplified his power to raise the dead. I wouldn't call these things zombies but controlled dolls. The Night King is able to stop and move them at will like when Bran wargs into a guy.

In other terms there must always be a *lightning* Lich King.

Bigfoot

Chances are the Night King is a Warg of the same power as the Three-Eyed Raven. The power imbued into amplified his power to raise the dead. I wouldn't call these things zombies but controlled dolls. The Night King is able to stop and move them at will like when Bran wargs into a guy.

In other terms there must always be a *lightning* Lich King.
That theory doesn't hold as burning them prevents them from coming back. Not sure how though since some of the dead army were pretty much skeletons.

munchie64

Everyone just got finished chanting her name and were ready to accept her as leader, and she's always been presented as one of the most respected people on the island. But because Balon said he has a big cock, they're ready to go alone with killing her. Every single line in that scene was terrible but "Let's go murder them" was by far the worst.

If you'll defend that line, you'd defend anything they put on the show.
There were tonnes of fine lines in that scene. "Let's go murder them" was one. It is literally him giving an order that makes sense in the context of what's been established. I really don't understand the hate other than being what Duckroll described. Iron Islanders are fucking assholes.

And what exactly is wrong with me defending shit? This show is great and deserves to be defending from what I consider complaint going too far.

Speevy

Banned
There were tonnes of fine lines in that scene. "Let's go murder them" was one. It is literally him giving an order that makes sense in the context of what's been established. I really don't understand the hate other than being what Duckroll described.

Iron Islanders are fucking assholes.

"She knows who she is. She's led men. She's killed men."
-Balon Greyjoy

"My men would wait on deck for a year if I asked them to."
-Yara Greyjoy

Again, if killing Yara and Theon is so important that it's the first thing on his agenda, why didn't he do it right after the Kingsmoot?

And don't say something about tradition or procedure. This guy murders kings without batting an eye.

Yara promised to have him executed for killing her father. It would make more sense for him to deny that charge, and support Yara as an ally publicly, then kill her privately.

munchie64

"She knows who she is. She's led men. She's killed men."
-Balon Greyjoy

"My men would wait on deck for a year if I asked them to."
-Yara Greyjoy

Again, if killing Yara and Theon is so important that it's the first thing on his agenda, why didn't he do it right after the Kingsmoot?

And don't say something about tradition or procedure. This guy murders kings without batting an eye.

Yara promised to have him executed for killing her father. It would make more sense for him to deny that charge, and support Yara as an ally publicly, then kill her privately.
Cause he wanted a sweet crown? I don't fucking know. It was to give them a chance to escape and have the really well done montage of him drowning and them escaping. I said earlier that acting and directing saved that scene and that part was key to that.

Speevy

Banned
Cause he wanted a sweet crown? I don't fucking know. It was to give them a chance to escape and have the really well done montage of him drowning and them escaping. I said earlier that acting and directing saved that scene and that part was key to that.

Well that's something the show does quite often. It comes up with these amazing visual flourishes that stir the viewer's emotions, capped off by excellent acting and beautiful locations. It's all very entertaining, but it should not be painful to think about. And since this show has so many interconnected stories, it's impossible not to think about it.

I really like this season, incidentally. Every episode has been a bit different from the previous one, they are moving storylines forward, questions are being answered, they're not skipping stories for 3-4 episodes at a time. It's a definite improvement. It seems like the writers have stopped doing some dumb shit, but they're still doing other dumb shit.

Trust me. If I weren't enjoying the show, I wouldn't post about it. People who hate watch need a new hobby.

Kozak

Banned
I think we're supposed to believe that there is a decent time jump from the Kingsmoot to drowning Euron/Yara and Theon making off with the ships.

At least that was my impression.

Yara and Theon left with a bunch of Iron Born too. Probably the best of the Iron Born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom