• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Hearing Walder Frey say Red Wedding made me think is it actually a term used in the books? I would thought it was a fan-made term like Purple Wedding.

It's actually a term used in the books and the show. It was said in season 4 when the Hound and Arya showed up to that man's home for soup.

Hearing Walder Frey say Red Wedding made me think is it actually a term used in the books? I would thought it was a fan-made term like Purple Wedding.

The Manderly scene with Davos has those Frey guys bragging about it. They refer to it as the Red Wedding.

I think Purple Wedding is purely a fanmade term though.

Waif comes off as cocky. She'll likely come armed only with a stick and doesn't know about needle. Arya will be about to loose then stab Waif, steal her face and attempt to kill Jaqen while in disguise.

Speevy

Banned
Those are pretty obviously fake.

The one for 610 clearly alludes to Lady Stoneheart, which is the easiest way to identify fake spoilers.

It's certainly possible, but
I guessed Jaime, who is probably going to be at odds with Brienne after the Riverlands debacle

Must be why season 1 is still the best season.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VuqHngBpOZ1p0jqkD7xRTCHExMFwBa8qE7VCLsKXzxU/edit

This will make you even more disappointed in show Euron, if you weren't so already.

Eh, I can never understand it when some people say that Season 1 is the best - I just rewatched it last week, and it is far from it.

Too much clunky exposition, excess gratuity, awkward scene transitions, and scenes that could just be done in a much better way. The show seemed much more uncertain of itself in some ways back then.

Speevy

Banned
Eh, I can never understand it when some people say that Season 1 is the best - I just rewatched it last week, and it is far from it.

Too much clunky exposition, awkward scene transitions, and scenes that could just be done in a much better way. The show seemed much more uncertain of itself in some ways back then.

Season 1 had Robert Baratheon though, who is the best character ever.

Eidan

Too much clunky exposition, awkward scene transitions, and scenes that could just be done in a much better way. The show seemed much more uncertain of itself in some ways back then.

Nah. It has a much more focused narrative, with all plots in some way connecting to Ned's exploits in King's Landing, and there is a natural and satisfying climax to that plot. All the consequence of adapting the strongest book in the series.

If I had to rank the seasons so far I'd say...

1. 1
2. 4
3. 6
4. 3
5. 2
6. 5

Speevy

Banned
Season 5 can't ever be anything but last because it had Dorne and the Winterfell plot, but that doesn't make season 6 automatically amazing.

It still has some work to do to finish strong.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I was rewatching the episode and actually thought about the Sam scenes.

Why does no one in his family, including his dick of a father, seem to care at all about him breaking his vows and having a kid?

It seems like desertion is the only thing they really give a shit about, since Ned beheaded that one guy in the beginning of book one. And even then, probably only in the North.

Nah. It has a much more focused narrative, with all plots in some way connecting to Ned's exploits in King's Landing, and there is a natural and satisfying climax to that plot. All the consequence of adapting the strongest book in the series.

If I had to rank the seasons so far I'd say...

1. 1
2. 4
3. 6
4. 3
5. 2
6. 5

I understand the focused narrative, but the scene-by-scene pacing felt a little bit off to me in several episode - too many times, it felt like a scene was being dragged out longer than it needed to be which resulted in a lot of scenes that were actually pretty well written appear very plodding to me (especially common problem in Dany's scenes). Then there was the most blatant use of the sexposition out of any season. The newer seasons are much better at avoiding some of the pitfalls that plagued season 1. It is still a very good season (and I agree it got the best material to adapt) and I do like the tighter focus (though I must admit, I slightly prefer the sprawling nature the show currently has, especially on marathons), but it just felt less professional to me than some others.

If I had to rank the seasons so far, I'd go:

1. Season 6 (if it keeps up in the same manner in which it has been going. Far above the others if comparing the first 6 episodes.)
2. Season 4
3. Season 3
4. Season 1
5. Season 5
6. Season 2

Season 2 is definitely the weakest though. Two major storylines that hog up the spotlight were at their all-time worst here, and there was a string of episodes that were very mediocre. In fact, the only season 2 episodes that I find extremely compelling are 3, 6, 9, and 10, which are all definitely great. It really felt like they were struggling to adapt the show to a much more sprawling narrative this season, and became much better at it with Season 3.

Bigfoot

You guys complain too much. Even Season 5 of Game of Thrones at its lowest as many call it was still better than 90% of the shows on TV. Season 6 if it keeps up is easily in the Top 10 shows of the year. I'm sure everyone's end of the year lists will reflect this too.

Speevy

Banned
Season 2 to me is great. It has Blackwater, the Harrenhaal scenes, Theon really coming into his own, the introduction of Stannis and Brienne, and the best Tyrion material in the entire show.

Hazmat

Season 2 to me is great. It has Blackwater, the Harrenhaal scenes, Theon really coming into his own, the introduction of Stannis and Brienne, and the best Tyrion material in the entire show.

Agreed. I think season 2 only really screwed up Jon's story, which puts it way higher than the mess of season 5.

Agreed. I think season 2 only really screwed up Jon's story, which puts it way higher than the mess of season 5.

Dany's story in Season 2 was the worst arc of the show aside from Dorne. And considering that Dorne was maybe 15 minutes of screentime while Dany was close to an hour, her story's mess-up was a much bigger deal in my opinion.

Hazmat

Dany's story in Season 2 was the worst arc of the show aside from Dorne. And considering that Dorne was maybe 15 minutes of screentime while Dany was close to an hour, her story's mess-up was a much bigger deal in my opinion.

Dany's stuff in S2 is weak, but her stuff in the second book was weak too. And no matter how dumb the Qarth stuff was it can't beat how awful the Sand Snakes were for me. How they got Oberyn so right and everything else so wrong is baffling.

I would probably have to go with Season 6 being top. The first 6 episodes have been fantastic.

So for me its

6 ( comparing the first 6 episodes to other seasons, I doubt it will falter in the last 4 episodes.)

q_q

This bugged me too. Ned would cut Sam's head off.

Nah, desertion is a much worse crime than having sex. A punishment would come sure, but I doubt it would be death. As Alliser notes in one of the earlier seasons, if they killed everyone who broke their chastity vow they'd have no Night's Watch left.

It also exposed the beginning of how hammy Emilia Clarke's acting can be. I thought she was great in S1 but she's been up-and-down for me ever since.

Gigglepoo

Do the citizens of Westeros consider Aegon the Conqueror to be villainous? Under his rule, the Seven Kingdoms were united and peace dominated (except for the occasional Blackfyre rebellion) for 500 years. There's been a groundswell that Dany is villainous but, considering she's the modern day incarnation of Aegon the Conqueror, I'm not sure that's exactly true.

Granted, the show doesn't deal with nuance so I'm sure she'll wear the black hat by season's end, but in the books? It's hard to see her becoming the big bad human.

You guys complain too much. Even Season 5 of Game of Thrones at its lowest as many call it was still better than 90% of the shows on TV. Season 6 if it keeps up is easily in the Top 10 shows of the year. I'm sure everyone's end of the year lists will reflect this too.

lolno.

Being an HBO show doesn't mean you have to buy into that.

Season 5 was fucking awful. Dorne was trash TV, and not even a colossal HBO budget can fix that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Do the citizens of Westeros consider Aegon the Conqueror to be villainous? Under his rule, the Seven Kingdoms were united and peace dominated (except for the occasional Blackfyre rebellion) for 500 years. There's been a groundswell that Dany is villainous but, considering she's the modern day incarnation of Aegon the Conqueror, I'm not sure that's exactly true.

Granted, the show doesn't deal with nuance so I'm sure she'll wear the black hat by season's end, but in the books? It's hard to see her becoming the big bad human.

It probably took awhile for the populace to come around, but killing some of the mean bastard houses (Harrenhall) helped.

375 years and Dorne wasn't united. They were independent until they came into the kingdom through marriage and that was only 150 years after Aegon conquered.

dabig2

375 years and Dorne wasn't united. They were independent until they came into the kingdom through marriage and that was only 150 years after Aegon conquered.

I thought it has only been around 300 years after Aegon's conquest?

Aegon was seen as a generally likeable guy. And he wiped out the houses of those who hated him during his conquest anyways, so there's not too much bad blood surviving to the day. Though we do know the North was not happy at all back then.

lolno.

Being an HBO show doesn't mean you have to buy into that.

Season 5 was fucking awful. Dorne was trash TV, and not even a colossal HBO budget can fix that.

Agreed. It's okay to call a spade a spade even if it has high production values. I don't think I'd call an entire season trashy or awful, but I can see why someone would. Lots of mediocre or bad shows can still have great moments every episode or so. Sometimes those are great enough for some fans to give the episode (or season) a pass.

It's funny because The Walking Dead was my "trashy TV with occasional greatness" show for the longest time. GoT has taken its place, although I will say that this season is already a big improvement over S5.

I thought it has only been around 300 years after Aegon's conquest?

Aegon was seen as a generally likeable guy. And he wiped out the houses of those who hated him during his conquest anyways, so there's not too much bad blood surviving to the day. Though we do know the North was not happy at all back then.

You're right, 300. So Dorne only came into the picture 1/2 way into the Dragon's rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom