• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's quite a few big changes starting from book 2 but if they're talking about the ending I'd guess the House of the Undying sequence? There's way more in the books compared to the show, including flashbacks to Rheagar & foreshadowing of future events (like the Red Wedding).

Oh, when Dany had visions of her family and the three headed dragon or whatever? I kind of glossed over that. Can you tell me the significance of that? I thought it implied she had another sibling she didnt know about, but I could be mistaken.

Oh, when Dany had visions of her family and the three headed dragon or whatever? I kind of glossed over that. Can you tell me the significance of that? I thought it implied she had another sibling she didnt know about, but I could be mistaken.

It's possible that's not the change they were talking about, it was just the one that came to mind first. Arya's time in Harrenhal is also very different in the books (no Tywin, more Roose) and Jon's story was pretty much gutted as well. You should read about all the details from the House of the Undying on the wiki, because there's quite a bit that was different from the show.

Be warned that that page has updated itself with the information from the most recent TWOW chapter though, so if you want to avoid spoilers then steer clear.

I really hope they can incorporate this Arya passage from ACOK into the next couple of episodes.

One of my favorites from any of the books, I can imagine her telling that last line to Jaqen adding I am Arya Stark of Winterfell and am done playing with wooden teeth. before leaving to head back to westeros.

Great passage. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that voice was Bran? It's kinda similar to what happened to Theon in ADwD.

Lothar

Banned
Can someone remind me of what the big change in book 2 was that was different from the show? I was reading that the end of book 2 was when it changed, but I seemed to have forgotten what the change was.

There was no Ramsay which meant they couldn’t show Ramsay burning Winterfell. A lot of people were confused by what happened for a whole year. So it wasn't emotional, just confusing.
No weasel Soup. Arya’s story just ended weakly.
No part where Qhorin convinced Jon to kill him. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466883&page=311
Catelyn didn’t find out about Bran and Rickon. That meant she wasn’t as sympathic when she freed Jaime and sent him to King’s Landing.
Everything about House of Undying was changed for the worse.

It was a shame because Season 2 was so close to being as good as Season 1. Everything involving Theon, Tyrion, Cersei, and Blackwater was close to perfect. It's easy to see who their favorite characters are. But so many of the other stories ended really badly.

Cersei is too busy killing random peasants who made fun of her and apparently the Crown is really, really concentrated on the Blackfish being holed up in his 1 castle. Serious question, between episodes 2 and 6, how many lines were devoted to Dorne and Myrcella? This is the 3rd most major event of the series after the Red Wedding and Joffrey's purple wedding. You have the murder of 3 royals: 1 of which is the sister of the king and the others are a Lord Paramount and his heir who was engaged to said sister.

I seriously just hope the Blackfish makes fun of Myrcella dying to Jaime's face next episode. "Why the fuck are you even here showing off your fake Lannister power when your power can't even protect or avenge your bastard children."

God I want this to be true.

Not a sibling. Rhaegar was talking about his own children. I'm pretty sure the child in the video is Aegon, his second child. When he says there has to be another he's saying he needs one more child to complete the three heads of the dragon.

Jon is the third child.

_Ryo_

I don't think it will be the case in the books. It's just one of those rare moments where the show decides to do fantastical and mystical elements over more realistic ones, similar as to how Dany is fireproof in the show but not fireproof in the books cause in the books if I recall correctly, Dany burned her hand and her hair was torched.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't think it will be the case in the books. It's just one of those rare moments where the show decides to do fantastical and mystical elements over more realistic ones, similar as to how Dany is fireproof in the show but not fireproof in the books cause in the books if I recall correctly, Dany burned her hand and her hair was torched.

Her hair was burned on the Drogo pyre though, iirc she ducked under Drogons breath. I think it may be vague on purpose?

jdstorm

Banned
Always seemed to me that Jaime yearned for Ned's respect

Nah Jamie thought Ned was an Ass.
"What right does the wolf have to judge the lion"

Ned and Robert had just killed all of Jamie's Friends and Heroes (Raeghar Targaryen, Arthur Dayne ect) Yet Ned was considered the Honorable one. Despite fathering a Bastard while married While Jamie was constantly given crap for being a kingslayer despite the true origins of that nickname being incredibly Honerable

Forkball

I know a lot of people liked the Mad King montage from last week, but I admit it bugged me.

1. Why is the Mad King clean shaven? Even in the histories and lore DVD he had a long, crazy man beard. Show Aerys looks like he came straight out of a renaissance fair.
JMZWJLc.jpg

crhIREt.jpg

2. Why does Jamie look exactly the same? The same haircut and everything. Did they think if they got some extra to stand in, everyone would forget it was Jamie?

I also disliked the tin man armor the Kingsguard wore in the Tower of Joy vision. While we don't get into the history of the Kingsguard so much into the show, their white cloaks and gold armor are constantly mentioned, yet Dayne and Whent looked like random Targaryen foot soldiers. It's strange when the show made a very subtle change to the armor last episode with the new symbol (the crown inside the seven pointed star) yet in the flashbacks they completely botch these visual touches.

I know a lot of people liked the Mad King montage from last week, but I admit it bugged me.

1. Why is the Mad King clean shaven? Even in the histories and lore DVD he had a long, crazy man beard. Show Aerys looks like he came straight out of a renaissance fair.

2. Why does Jamie look exactly the same? The same haircut and everything. Did they think if they got some extra to stand in, everyone would forget it was Jamie?

I also disliked the tin man armor the Kingsguard wore in the Tower of Joy vision. While we don't get into the history of the Kingsguard so much into the show, their white cloaks and gold armor are constantly mentioned, yet Dayne and Whent looked like random Targaryen foot soldiers. It's strange when the show made a very subtle change to the armor last episode with the new symbol (the crown inside the seven pointed star) yet in the flashbacks they completely botch these visual touches.

Along with a lot of other stuff in the show, we have to just accept it for what it is and give them a high five for effort.

It was alright. I'm sure most book readers noticed those things but it's just cool that we actually got the scene in the show.

takriel

Along with a lot of other stuff in the show, we have to just accept it for what it is and give them a high five for effort.

It was alright. I'm sure most book readers noticed those things but it's just cool that we actually got the scene in the show.

Not when you're the most popular show on the planet and pull shit like this lol.

Not when you're the most popular show on the planet and pull shit like this lol.

That's exactly why they can get away with it though. Nobody but the people "who don't understand how television works" will complain about details like this and any other criticism will be shut out.

I think the main reason a lot of visual features of characters and such are different/missing on the show is that they were probably not conveyed in whatever 'zeitgeist tape' cliffnote summaries of the books D&D are working from.

Jacob4815

Weeks ago I read somewhere that episode 6x05 was going to be an "all-time" episode, and 6x07 " a game changer". Don't remember the source.

6x05 preview was legit, so should we expect a great episode tonight?

kirblar

Because he looks exactly like Viserys this way.

hoos30

The Mad King is clean shaven so we can see him mouthing "burn them all" in a three second clip.

Jaime looks the same so the audience can have a fighting chance to know who it is in a three second clip.

These are tiny changes that in no way should over ride the the awesomeness of seeing the scenes on the screen.

jett

D-Member

The World of Ice and Fire book has a great piece of art depicting the Mad King in all his disgusting self.

In general IMO some/most of the designs in the show are a bit bland and simple compared to how things are described in the books. The show is often too grounded for its own good, but that's how they captured mainstream audiences I guess.

Apt101

The World of Ice and Fire book has a great piece of art depicting the Mad King in all his disgusting self.

In general IMO some/most of the designs in the show are a bit bland and simple compared to how things are described in the books. The show is often too grounded for its own good, but that's how they captured mainstream audiences I guess.

The Targs do not have golden hair flecked with silver and purple eyes. Euron doesn't have his trademark eyepatch covering his black eye, nor the blue lips. Arthur Dayne's sword Dawn wasn't milkglass full of stars. Etc. I suppose it was all one part saving money, two parts making the actors' lives easier, and three parts catering to the general public. They even toned down Tyrion's stark-blonde appearance after season one.

duckroll

Weeks ago I read somewhere that episode 6x05 was going to be an "all-time" episode, and 6x07 " a game changer". Don't remember the source.

6x05 preview was legit, so should we expect a great episode tonight?

I think the director or writer of this upcoming episode did say it would be a game changer too, so maybe?

Jamie is going to kill Brienne, isn't he?

He'll either backstab her or have Bron kill her. Whatever it is, she'll be caught unaware because everyone with honor in the show is killed.

And it sucks because that whole theme is really getting old.

Kain

Brienne is never going to die, she still needs to teleport to more places and see the world. Remember the episode of The Simpsons were Moe got this flying fan thingy after failing as Boxing manager? Moe is Brienne.

Aurongel

I'd be disappointed to see Brienne go before she has any major exchanges with Davos or Melissandre. They had a good triangle of hate going on between the three of them.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'd be disappointed to see Brienne go before she has any major exchanges with Davos or Melissandre. They had a good triangle of hate going on between the three of them.
I'd be sad to see her go before she gets down with Tormund.

Speevy

Banned
How about this? By the way none of this is going to happen, I'm just fanficing it.

Jaime shows up to negotiate with The Blackfish. Blackfish is all "You're going to have to kill me if you want this castle." Jaime explains that he doesn't want to kill him, the Tullys can't win, etc. The Blackfish is steadfast in his resolve.

Brienne shows up and proposes Sansa's plan for retaking the north to the Blackfish. Blackfish tells Brienne that he remembers how she was supposed to take Jaime to King's Landing for her niece, but she instead left her with Roose Bolton and there they conspired to kill Catelyn. He says he knows Jaime put the idea in Roose's head.

The Blackfish lifts a greatsword and attempts to bring it down, but Brienne stabs him through the heart before he can complete the deed.

She doesn't know why she did it. She tells Jaime she loves him and leaves in disgrace.

Rivverrun falls a few hours later.

Ghost23

Did anyone ever find out that it was Jaime who crippled Bran?

If not, I'm wondering how Jon and Sansa react if they find out the news.

I was watching season 2 last night and Robb definitely brought it up. Whether he was able to tell Bran or Jon or Sansa I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom