• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of Jack Bender interviews from yesterday:

- Vanity Fair
I know that some fans watching were devastated by the death of Summer the direwolf. It seemed to happen really quickly. Was that ever a longer sequence?

Well, first of all, I’m a dog person, O.K.? My wife and I, we live with six dogs. In fact, way back on Lost at the end of Season 1, when the Vincent swam after Walt going out on the raft, that was something I just decided to do and surprised Damon and Carlton with. It worked great, so being a dog person, even a wolf or a direwolf person—I remember all the way back to Season 1 when Sean Bean had to kill that puppy. It was like, “Oh my God. Seriously?” My objective [with Summer] was not to take anything away either rhythmically or dramatically from what Hodor was about to do. As much as the direwolf sacrifice was upsetting, I didn’t want to spend too much time on it. I felt like we were building toward and literally racing toward Hodor. I felt it was very important to spend the time to tell that part of the story but not dwell on it.

Did you and Dan and David talk at all about what it means when a direwolf dies? It feels like it means something more than just a beloved pet dying. They’re spiritually connected to the Starks.

Well, honestly, we talked about it, but we also talked so much about that sequence and how to achieve it leading to the point of Jonathan Freeman going nuts trying to figure out how to light a cave where there is no light and there is no light source. Certainly having shot a lot of caves for Lost, frequently, they’d have torches, which is a very viable light source. We had to deal with so many things creating that sequence in terms of what the set would be, what the sequence would be, what we would see, what we wouldn’t see, what would be off camera, what would be on camera. Most of the time, I think, was spent on that as opposed to the emotional or mythological ramifications. I’m sure David and Dan know, but we didn’t spend a lot of time talking about it.

Are you coming back next season?

I don’t know the answer to that. They’re only doing seven [episodes], and they’ve got their regulars who have done it forever. I know that I had a wonderful experience doing the show and I know that Dan and David are thrilled with the shows, but I’ve got this series I’m mounting for the beginning of 2017 based on Stephen King’s trilogy of books, starting with Mr. Mercedes. Brendan Gleeson is playing the lead, which I’m thrilled about, Anton Yelchin, and I’m in the process of mounting that. I haven’t been asked yet and I also don’t know what their schedule is going to be. But under the best of circumstances, schedule and everything, I had a great experience doing the show. If available and they wanted me to, I would love to do that.
I wonder how informed he is on next season's episode count. They've discussed reduced episode counts a few times.

- The Observer
I’d love to talk about that “hold the door” scene in particular. What were your thoughts after finally reading the scene on the page?

It was a daunting scene to read, and was challenging on multiple levels for Jonathan, the cinematographer. He drove himself crazy how to light cave where there was no light and no torches. There were no cracks in the ceiling here except the section where some of the dead came in from above, because they couldn’t cross the fire line.

Early on I had the idea to make it one shot that just pushes in and gets closer and closer, and then the parallel high shot that gets closer and closer to Wylis, who became Hodor. I talked about it with Dave and Dan a lot. I said, “What the dead would be doing to Hodor would be ripping his clothes off once they got through that door. They would be ripping his flesh off. If the dead can go through wood, they’re going to be tearing Hodor apart.”

And they said something to me that really stuck. Which was “If it’s too horrific, we’re not going to feel the loss of Hodor.” And that was my compass the entire time, to make us really care at the end. I still wanted to make it scary enough, see Hodor surrounded and engulfed by these skeletal arms and long fingers, that were eventually going to smother and kill and rip him apart, or whatever they were going to do that we didn’t see. But to not let the horror of it overwhelm the emotion of losing that character and making it really land on the idea that he was sacrificing himself so his friends could get away. That was the dominant idea.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Did hbo manage to keep benjen's return a secret during filming? I didn't follow the offseason spoilers.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
They have been name dropped as much as any other Northern house this year and noted multiple times as having a significant sized force, so they must be coming into play.

Maybe Davos splits with Jon and Sansa to go to White Harbor after they visit a couple Houses in ep 7?

Do we need to spoiler mark trailers?
One trailer showed a Mormont flag behind Davos.
And even deviated from the books when doing so. I think he wrote Blackwater which was excellent.
He wrote Joffrey's Wedding too, which was very good.

Speevy

Banned
That's a hilarious interview.

"Did you think before you murdered that wolf?"

"Did you know how important that wolf was in the story?"

"Are you coming back next season to murder any more wolves?"

RaidenZR

That's a hilarious interview.

"Did you think before you murdered that wolf?"

"Did you know how important that wolf was in the story?"

"Are you coming back next season to murder any more wolves?"

And the gist was that they don't really think about the direwolves much, as you can tell from the what comes off the screen each week.

jdstorm

Banned
I hope they don't decide to kill characters based on how popular they are.

In the books, I think Brianne will die in the Riverlands. Not sure how it'll play out in the show, especially if there's no Lady Stoneheart.

I suspect that they will just make the blackfish the aggressive Lady Stoneheart type outlaw. I also think that removing Jamie from the Kingsguard was an excuse to have him leading the Lannister Army.

If I had to guess I'd say Jamie surprizes everyone and takes the Lannister army to go help Sansa. Since she still might technically be his sister in law.

Speevy

Banned
I hope Edmure hits him with an arrow.

Blackfish comes charging at Jaime with the intent to cleave his head clean from his body, and no man is close enough to save him.

Just then a lone arrow pierces Brynden through the heart, just as he is about to strike.

*pan over to Edmure inspecting his bow for flaws*

Blackfish comes charging at Jaime with the intent to cleave his head clean from his body, and no man is close enough to save him.

Just then a lone arrow pierces Brynden through the heart, just as he is about to strike.

*pan over to Edmure inspecting his bow for flaws*
You mean *giving the camera a single nod with a bow in his hand*

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jaime won't die at the hands of Brienne. I'm confident he'll either survive or choose to sacrifice himself to save someone he cares about. In the books his character has undergone a complete 180. He has one of the most satisfying and interesting character arcs in the entire series. The show still has time to salvage him as a character, but that obviously can't happen if he's dead. I have hope now that he's going to the Riverlands, hopefully they won't screw it up.

Jamie is broken until he stops being subservient to Cersei, and there's no sign that's happening any time soon.

Nodnol

I haven't read the books...yet...but would there be any benefit to LSH coming into the show now apart from for fan service?

IMO, no. Considering the show continually streamlines and cuts characters and plot lines due to a limited budget, run time, season length etc, I don't see a reason for them to introduce LSH for anything other than fan service. It'll clutter things; it's been a long time, it changes part of the dynamic of the Red Wedding and they've missed their moment IMO.

What I think they'll do, is merge the effect she has on the book world with characters like Sansa (especially), maybe Brienne and Brynden too. The key points, it would seem, if you strip away the tragedy of her character, is the fact that the Frey's will pay for their crimes. The show doesn't need LSH for that.

duckroll

I haven't read the books...yet...but would there be any benefit to LSH coming into the show now apart from for fan service?

Yes, I think there is, but not enough of a benefit that cannot be passed on to existing characters who already have a stake in the story. It's impossible to know what plans GRRM has for the character in the books eventually, but there is so much divergence it no longer matters. The benefits I see from having LSH in the story would be to have an angle for absolute revenge for what was done to the Starks in the first 3 seasons, completely disconnected from political machinations which everyone who is still alive still has. Even Jon and Sansa have limitations to what they would be willing to do in a situation to deliver "true justice" because they have to consider their own futures, their position in the world, and how to maximize their options. But as the show is now, Brienne could easily take on that role instead, as she has already done with Stannis.

It's hard to say without knowing where GRRM is taking her character in the books. I'm certainly looking forward to reading whatever transpires between her, Brienne and Jaime.
In the show, the fact that they've totally fucked Jaime's redemption arc means that I'd be much less invested in the possibility of Jaime being led to a confrontation and possible death. In fact, the combination and Jaime having devolved back into Cersei with a dick and a lack of LSH is leaving my hype for the Riverlands at zero really.

It's hard to say without knowing where GRRM is taking her character in the books. I'm certainly looking forward to reading whatever transpires between her, Brienne and Jaime.
In the show, the fact that they've totally fucked Jaime's redemption arc means that I'd be much less invested in the possibility of Jaime being led to a confrontation and possible death. In fact, the combination and Jaime having devolved back into Cersei with a dick and a lack of LSH is leaving my hype for the Riverlands at zero really.

Brienne can kick start Jamie's redemption arc easily.

Jarmel

Banned
The direwolves are pretty much pointless because the warging was cut out of the show.

Watch Ghost be killed off in episode 9.

Betty

Banned
The Faith would never have Tommen fight for them, they will know he is useless. I am still betting on Cleganebowl since it seems to be setting up for that:

That's the great thing though.

They'd assume Cersei would never put the mountain against her son or anyone else against her son for that matter, and would simply forfeit.

Instead she'll surprise everyone and have the mountain fight anyway, leading to the death of her son.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The direwolves are pretty much pointless because the warging was cut out of the show.

Watch Ghost be killed off in episode 9.

With the Riverlands being a thing again, they could bring back Nymeria. I could see them holding Arya's warging until she's committed to going back to Westeros, and not trying to escape.

Skipping Jon's warging is puzzling though.

Turin

Banned
How, when he's still in love with Cersei? He would seem like a dick if he left her for Brienne now.

Well, that's another thing. Jaime going back to his better self would be half baked without any kind of direct confrontation with Cersei. It'd make him seem spineless.

bengraven

You know, it really is kind of fucked up now that I think of it, Summer dying and Bran not reacting to it at all.

He was the main warg of the books after all.

Severance

Who is actually next in the line of succession after Tommen, isn't he the last "Baratheon" on the show?

That's a really good question. Honestly I think there is no true heir unless someone decides to prop up Gendry as the king. Whoever has the most power and seizes the throne will rule. I suppose Kevan (As long as he stays alive..) would become Protector of the Realm. Then Margaery and the faith may attempt to seize power, especially if Margaery turns up pregnant. Currently, Margaery is definitely making a play for power with her alliance to the faith. It would set her up nicely for when the shit hits the fan with Tommen's death.

Iksenpets

Banned
You know, it really is kind of fucked up now that I think of it, Summer dying and Bran not reacting to it at all.

Yeah if that happened to book Bran it would essentially be like being crippled all over again. He'd be losing a part of himself. It would be traumatic. If that happened in Winds he would probably spend half the book just coping with the loss.

With the Riverlands being a thing again, they could bring back Nymeria. I could see them holding Arya's warging until she's committed to going back to Westeros, and not trying to escape.

Skipping Jon's warging is puzzling though.

I'm 100% convinced that non-Bran Stark warning is never happening. They rewrote two major book events with Jon's resurrection and Arya regaining her sight to not involve it. If they aren't doing it in at least one of those, they're not doing it anywhere.

Lothar

Banned

Yeah if that happened to book Bran it would essentially be like being crippled all over again. He'd be losing a part of himself. It would be traumatic. If that happened in Winds he would probably spend half the book just coping with the loss.

It's just like how Cersei is already over Myrcella. She's not obsessed with getting revenge. It's a bigger priority in her mind for Jaime to go take back a "stupid little castle" because it's theirs.

mantidor

I suspect that they will just make the blackfish the aggressive Lady Stoneheart type outlaw. I also think that removing Jamie from the Kingsguard was an excuse to have him leading the Lannister Army.

If I had to guess I'd say Jamie surprizes everyone and takes the Lannister army to go help Sansa. Since she still might technically be his sister in law.

This would be so awesome because it would make Cersei's blood boil, but Jamie seems to still be in love with her for some reason.

I do wonder what are Jamie's thoughts on Sansa and the Bolton marriage, after all he pushed Brienne to save Sansa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom