• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

He may have been 'offscreen' in the books for a while, but his actions there have still been 100% more entertaining than anything the show has had him do these laat 2 seasons.

Who was that foolish guy who challenged Bronn to a duel because Cercei wanted to get rid of Bronn? That was amazing. Love that guy.

Moff

He may have been 'offscreen' in the books for a while, but his actions there have still been 100% more entertaining than anything the show has had him do these laat 2 seasons.

"Dont you fucking say it" alone is better than his "entertaining offscreen" book stuff. I am really glad they kept Flynn on board, he really enhanced that character.

I think you can make an argument that the books and the show each did fine with how they handled Bronn. There's nothing wrong with a character's part in a larger story simply being over and they fade away from the audience's view (this is arguable easier in the book medium, but has been done in the show). For Bronn in the show, they have an actor that really clicked with the role and connected with audiences, and they wisely established his relationship with Jaime in season 4 in a way that fit naturally with the narrative, so they had the option of using him in the future.

"Dont you fucking say it" alone is better than his "entertaining offscreen" book stuff. I am really glad they kept Flynn on board, he really enhanced that character.
That was a good line and Jerome Flynn is awesome as the character. but I miss his contributions to pushing Cersei over the edge. It's a moot point in the show however considering its complete whitewashing of her character.

I think you can make an argument that the books and the show each did fine with how they handled Bronn. There's nothing wrong with a character's part in a larger story simply being over and they fade away from the audience's view (this is arguable easier in the book medium, but has been done in the show). For Bronn in the show, they have an actor that really clicked with the role and connected with audiences, and they wisely established his relationship with Jaime in season 4 in a way that fit naturally with the narrative, so they had the option of using him in the future.

I liked tyrion x bronn more tbh then again i like everything with tyrion better

Long-time lurker, first-time poster since my account just got approved. (Woo!)

I didn't like the show at first because it seemed too much like a literal adaptation of the book with all the depth cut out. The first episode seemed so by-the-numbers and lacking in proper introductions. Then I fell in love with it as it went on, particularly in seasons 2 and 3 when they started making smart choices about cuts, changes and additions.

I'm maybe a weird kind of viewer, since it's the little differences that make the show so interesting to me. I was actually really looking forward to season 5 being a clever reworking of the book that made it into compelling, well-thought-out television. And then... well, you saw what happened lol.

Now that the show is ahead of the books, I worried it would lose the fun aspect of comparing it to the books, and my interest would wane. I don't know if it's just that this season is better (which it is), but weirdly, the opposite has happened.

Is anyone else finding that everything that happens is exciting this year, no matter how heavily foreshadowed in the books? It's like the best kind of fanfiction for the soul. Is it a surprise that the Hound comes back? Not particularly. Is it epic and badass? Fuck yes! I felt the same when Jon Snow came back to life, and I'm sure I will when R+L=J is finally revealed. There's just something very satisfying about foreshadowed events coming to fruition...

NeoGiff

I almost want to just gonna post the whole thing because it's such a good read, but it feels a bit long to post in its entirety, and there's embedded links in the full article so you should go to the webpage and read the whole thing.

Collins hasn't usually been one to dive into and criticize the differences between the book and show, so to see him write about this change from the book was interesting.

Sean T. Collins has been writing the most interesting criticism on this show (and has been for a while now) imo. His Boiled Leather blog and podcast is worth following. Anyone else similar that is worth following?

Thanks for sharing this. It's a great read.

NeoGiff

Long-time lurker, first-time poster since my account just got approved. (Woo!)

I didn't like the show at first because it seemed too much like a literal adaptation of the book with all the depth cut out. The first episode seemed so by-the-numbers and lacking in proper introductions. Then I fell in love with it as it went on, particularly in seasons 2 and 3 when they started making smart choices about cuts, changes and additions.

I'm maybe a weird kind of viewer, since it's the little differences that make the show so interesting to me. I was actually really looking forward to season 5 being a clever reworking of the book that made it into compelling, well-thought-out television. And then... well, you saw what happened lol.

Now that the show is ahead of the books, I worried it would lose the fun aspect of comparing it to the books, and my interest would wane. I don't know if it's just that this season is better (which it is), but weirdly, the opposite has happened.

Is anyone else finding that everything that happens is exciting this year, no matter how heavily foreshadowed in the books? It's like the best kind of fanfiction for the soul. Is it a surprise that the Hound comes back? Not particularly. Is it epic and badass? Fuck yes! I felt the same when Jon Snow came back to life, and I'm sure I will when R+L=J is finally revealed. There's just something very satisfying about foreshadowed events coming to fruition...

You've nailed it here. This seems to be the show's raison d'etre right now, which isn't a good thing from my point of view.

You've nailed it here. This seems to be the show's raison d'etre right now, which isn't a good thing from my point of view.

I'd agree the show is at its weakest when it tries too hard to be edgy and grim (see: endless Ramsay scenes) and when it revels too much in the violence instead of using it for a proper narrative purpose. But a reveal or twist we've been anticipating for years, or a surprise one like "Hold the door" that caught us right in the feels, doesn't fall into that category for me. It's compelling TV, and also really cathartic after years of ADWD being the end point of the story.

duckroll

"Epic and badass" has been the tone of the show for better or for worse since season 4 at least, but probably before that too. We've had 3 seasons of them doubling down on that more each year, and I'm genuinely surprised that people who really actively dislike this tone are still bothering to watch the show and consider it a negative which they hope will go away.

Me? I say bring it on!

eaJ5PEm.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
Game of Thrones Math:

Would 62 fighting men from Bear Island equal Ramsay Bolton's 20 good men?

For extra credit, would 62 fighting men from Bear Island PLUS Ramsay's 20 good men equal ONE Sand Snake?

Show your workings.

Drazgul

whoa whoa whoa hold up here let's not deny anyone more amazing Tormund scenes.

Those could still happen, Tormund's probably not too particular.

Game of Thrones Math:

Would 62 fighting men from Bear Island equal Ramsay Bolton's 20 good men?

For extra credit, would 62 fighting men from Bear Island PLUS Ramsay's 20 good men equal ONE Sand Snake?

Show your workings.

It's not looking very good right now - islanders on the whole have been complete rubbish throughout the entirety of GoT. Ironborn are trash, Jorah's a complete loser; only Jeor Mormont was good man material, and even he got owned by his own men (though granted, among them was a FOOKIN' LEGEND, but still).

bitbydeath

Not sure if anyone else has deduced it yet but Arya was obviously not Arya in the stabbing scene as mentioned previously with the differences in mannerisms.

She was someone looking to leave Braavos, someone who just got recently outed.

The girl wearing her face is likely

Sansa the actress who wanted the Cersei actress dead.

large573b3e477cb1a.jpg

You are quite possibly the first person (who has supposedly read the books) I have ever seen say that season 2 made smart cuts or changes to the story...

- They butchered Arya's storyline. Matter of fact, she doesn't reach book 2 Arya status till around season 4. Instead of Roose you have Tywin, which ok, they shared some great scenes, but why couldn't those scenes be done with Roose? Likely because they didn't want to introduce a new character to the show yet in such a pivotal role. Ok... so now you give Arya an opportunity to kill Tywin and waste it. They LITERALLY wrote a scene the following season that winked at the audience saying "hey we fucked up so here is us acknowledging it" None of her names made sense with Tywin in front of her the entire time. This arc went on the entire season mind you.

- The battle of the Blackwater, despite being a decent episode both structurally and visually ended up being far less entertaining and epic as it was in the book. Not to mention Tyrion is still a handsome little dwarf with his nose... Obviously this one is subjective... I personally found it far more entertaining in the book.

- Shae... less is more (this goes on til season 4)

- Jon vs the Halfhand... not sure this needs an explanation.

These 4 points represent why I think season 2 is the worst season... Hardhome alone makes season 5 better than season 2. I am forgetting a other moments im sure but these always stood out for me.

Not sure if anyone else has deduced it yet but Arya was obviously not Arya in the stabbing scene as mentioned previously with the differences in mannerisms.

large573b3e477cb1a.jpg
Meh, the show has never been subtle and I don't think they just began. It was Sansa alright and they'll have Lady Crane help her or something. Otherwise they would've left her dead.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

large573b3e477cb1a.jpg

that makes like no sense.

Gigglepoo

- The battle of the Blackwater, despite being a decent episode both structurally and visually ended up being far less entertaining and epic as it was in the book. Not to mention Tyrion is still a handsome little dwarf with his nose... Obviously this one is subjective... I personally found it far more entertaining in the book.

This is my favorite "action" episode by quite a wide margin, probably because it doesn't have much action. I thought it was brilliantly constructed. Granted, it's not as good as the books, but as far as adaptation goes, this might be the high point in the series. At least for me.

You want crappy S2 adaptation? Just look at Dany's story. "Where are my dragons!?" Her losing her dragons makes even less sense than Jamie not knowing where the king or four of his kingsguard were two episodes ago. Pointless conflict. And they even cut out the badass scene where Dany is poisoned by a sorrowful man!

S2 was a serious low point after the excellent S1. Luckily, the rebounded over the next two seasons.

that makes like no sense.

She was Syrio the entire time!

You want crappy S2 adaptation? Just look at Dany's story. "Where are my dragons!?" Her losing her dragons makes even less sense than Jamie not knowing where the king or four of his kingsguard were two episodes ago. Pointless conflict. And they even cut out the badass scene where Dany is poisoned by a sorrowful man!

I knew i was forgetting something!

I mean, for what it's worth, Dany's story wasn't that great in Clash until her final few chapters, but yeah, even the show found a way to make her Arc worse than the book. Season 2 legitimately made me wish I never read the books because maybe I could see some greatness in it, but ultimately, as a book reader I was hugely disappointed with the show to the point where I had little good to say about it in water cooler conversation.

Corpekata

Banned
Bianca (Sansa actress) didn't know she had Aryas face and was looking to flee after she got caught.

Arya chose her to get gutted because she tried to have someone killed for her own personal gain.

The Waif will now not see her coming.

It makes no sense in that she shouldn't have a face in the first place. Who is she fleeing from? She's been only accused, and the person she wronged is just a random working actress. She didn't wrong the actual Cersei or someone with power.

Gigglepoo

I mean, for what it's worth, Dany's story wasn't that great in Clash until her final few chapters, but yeah, even the show found a way to make her Arc worse than the book. Season 2 legitimately made me wish I never read the books because maybe I could see some greatness in it, but ultimately, as a book reader I was hugely disappointed with the show to the point where I had little good to say about it in water cooler conversation.

Clash is probably my least favorite book. It's still got tons of great stuff (especially Dany's story) but just doesn't measure up to the other four. I understand the writers wanting to go their own way but every choice they made (outside of the deviations in Blackwater) were for the worst.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Bianca (Sansa actress) didn't know she had Aryas face and was looking to flee after she got caught.

Arya chose her to get gutted because she tried to have someone killed for her own personal gain.

that's quite a skill to pick up from being continually beaten on the head with a stick.

Raynes

Alt Shift X finally posted his episode seven recap!

He has the same issues with Jon's death and resurrection that I do

I think everyone has that issue. It's just jarring people around him act like nothing happened. Also jarring is how Sansa doesn't even react to the existence of Wun Wun. This is one of the only main characters in the series who hasn't been in contact with the supernatural up until now.

Lothar

Banned

How could she have Arya's face unless Arya cut her own face off?

Dany only had 5 chapters in Clash though and one of them is one of the best chapters in the book, the one after that with Barristan showing up is cool too. I agree with you. Season 2 is the most disappointing season. Season 5 was worse but I wasn't really expecting much out of that. I really thought Season 2 was going to be better than Season 1, just like I think Clash is better than GoT.

Those could still happen, Tormund's probably not too particular.

It's not looking very good right now - islanders on the whole have been complete rubbish throughout the entirety of GoT. Ironborn are trash, Jorah's a complete loser; only Jeor Mormont was good man material, and even he got owned by his own men (though granted, among them was a FOOKIN' LEGEND, but still).

excuse me

just because Jorah is a beta doesn't make him a loser

TWICE he risked his life to get back to Daenarys
TWICE he succeeded in overcoming the odds

He's seen things. And he's done alot of things. He's a badass beta.

Hopefully tomorrow's episode is when Arya kills the waifu and Jaqen decides to let her sale to westeros out of respek.

Need to get that whole arc over with already. It's too obvious that they shouldn't drag it out over multiple episodes.

excuse me

just because Jorah is a beta doesn't make him a loser

TWICE he risked his life to get back to Daenarys
TWICE he succeeded in overcoming the odds

He's seen things. And he's done alot of things. He's a badass beta.
people forget that he's a sick fighter and tings

Daemul

Tomorrow's episode can't come soon enough, I'm losing brain cells from reading these continuously nonsensical Arya theories.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Tomorrow's episode can't come soon enough, I'm losing brain cells from reading these continuously nonsensical Arya theories.
People are going out of their way to look for clues as to why Arya was a dumbass. She's always been a cocky little shit, and thought she was ahead of the Faceless men this time. If there is actually something up with this part of Arya's storyline than Brav-fucking-o, because it's more subtle than most of the other plots this season.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You haven't been following A Song of Ice and Fire long enough if a week's worth of nonsensical theories is enough to break you.

mantidor

People are going out of their way to look for clues as to why Arya was a dumbass. She's always been a cocky little shit, and thought she was ahead of the Faceless men this time. If there is actually something up with this part of Arya's storyline than Brav-fucking-o, because it's more subtle than most of the other plots this season.

This makes no sense given how episode 6 ended, she was completely and totally prepared for what was coming or her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom