• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Why does she hate her so much?

I really think a weird theory like it's all in Arya's mind and there is no Waif is the only way to make sense of this storyline.

Why is it so hard for people to accept the most obvious and straightforward simple explanation as presented to viewers? She was there before Arya. She has been training harder and having better results. Yet her master takes in a total noob who was born with a silver spoon and just ended up in Braavos because of some misguided idealized dream of becoming a badass assassin. The noob doesn't train as hard, clearly doesn't have what it takes, and has failed her master time and time again. Yet the noob gets more and more chances, and her master even makes her go train the noob.

It's a classic "why do you care about her so much more than you care about me" disciple envy character arc. Almost every master/disciple type of story has something like this if there's one master and two or more disciples. There's nothing unusual or weird about it. It's just been executed really poorly because character work on the show tends to be weak when the writers have to come up with original content.

Gigglepoo

So, does a person have to be dead to have their face added to the wall or not? I still don't get how Arya saw her own face last season.

I've only seen him in Pillars of the Earth, he was ok in that.

I only made it one episode. Huge disappointment after the excellent book.

Someone on reddit found something interesting in a leaked season 6 set pic from last year.

Also here is this weeks beautiful death:

CknAwaHW0AAqvYs.jpg

News Bot

Banned
Sophie's list.

With just 3 eps remaining, there's no way
Arya will check off three people from her list.

Unless they die by someone else's hands. Walder, Thoros and Melisandre in particular would be the top contenders. Walder by Red Wedding 2.0, Thoros by The Hound, Melisandre by Davos. Maybe.

Melisandre is already fated to meet Arya again, too. She might be killed by her directly before season's end.

Gigglepoo

What are the chances someone dies in the Riverlands? We got Brienne, Pod, Jamie, Bron, and the Hound all converging. That's a murderer's row.

We know BwB are dying (Thoros?) but will any of the main cast go? I'd be bummed to.lose any of them.

They are probably my two favorite shows HBO produced. Six Feet Under is easily the best show I've ever seen. Give them a try, both fantastic and wildly different

Better than The Wire, Veep, and Curb? Man, HBO has some good shows. Maybe I will check out Six Feet Under...

mantidor

Since we are bringing fan-favorite characters missing for several seasons like Osha or Hodor only to kill them off I would say the Hound is doomed.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Since we are bringing fan-favorite characters missing for several seasons like Osha or Hodor only to kill them off I would say the Hound is doomed.

i find it unlikely that they will kill the hound this season (unless it is in a draw in the CLEGANEBOWL), because as wasteful as the writers of this show can be, i doubt they would spend so much screen time to kill a character that could have been dead already. my prediction is that he has temporary invincibility due to respawning.

Gigglepoo

Weren't they both killed by LSH and the BwB in the books? Or am I misremembering something

You're remembering wrong. Brienne was captured by LSH, had a noose put over her neck, and cried "Sword!" at the last second to prove that she was still loyal to Cat. The last we saw, she was luring Jamie to LSH's lair.

Pod's fate is up in the air but
Martin said he's alive

My guess is that Brienne dies in Winds of Winter to save Jamie from LSH's wrath but that scenario wouldn't make a lick of sense in the show.

i find it unlikely that they will kill the hound this season (unless it is in a draw in the CLEGANEBOWL), because as wasteful as the writers of this show can be, i doubt they would spend so much screen time to kill a character that could have been dead already. my prediction is that he has temporary invincibility due to respawning.

You're 100% right but I hope you're not. There hasn't been a major death since S4 and we've gotten way too comfortable that none of the main characters will die. Of course, that confidence could be shattered if they kill Tyrion this episode for burning so many bridges in Meereen...

zkorejo

latest

Unless Maisie shrunk and he grew, that is not him.

He shrunk last season to disguise as Waif.

I cant help but feel he is either a wizard or many faced god himself. If Syrio actually was Jaqen all along then this would raise the question why he has been so interested in Arya.

gazele

Banned
You're remembering wrong. Brienne was captured by LSH, had a noose put over her neck, and cried "Sword!" at the last second to prove that she was still loyal to Cat. The last we saw, she was luring Jamie to LSH's lair.

Pod's fate is up in the air but
Martin said he's alive

My guess is that Brienne dies in Winds of Winter to save Jamie from LSH's wrath but that scenario wouldn't make a lick of sense in the show.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me of all that

It'll be interesting how the story changes without LSH

John Dunbar

correct about everything
You're 100% right but I hope you're not. There hasn't been a major death since S4 and we've gotten way too comfortable that none of the main characters will die. Of course, that confidence could be shattered if they kill Tyrion this episode for burning so many bridges in Meereen...

the hound is definitely a fan favourite, but i'm not sure how you could call him a major death if the likes of stannis, alliser thorne or myrcella do not count.

Tiktaalik

I almost want to just gonna post the whole thing because it's such a good read, but it feels a bit long to post in its entirety, and there's embedded links in the full article so you should go to the webpage and read the whole thing.

What Game of Thrones Changed About Its Big Antiwar Speech, and Why It Matters

In its latest episode, Game of Thrones carved the heart out of one of its central story lines. When “The Broken Man” revealed that Sandor “The Hound” Clegane had put down his sword and taken up with a religious community in the Riverlands, it was echoing a passage from A Feast for Crows, the fourth volume in author George R.R. Martin’s epic-fantasy saga A Song of Ice and Fire. But in that echo, something sounded very different. The antiwar monologue known as “the broken man speech” that made this section of the books so crucial to understanding the whole series was removed and replaced, with a much darker outcome for its participants. And that change demands special scrutiny.

The relevant segment of the novel centers not on a man of the cloth named Ray, the newly created character played by Deadwood veteran Ian McShane, but on a character called Septon Meribald who holds a very similar function in the story. He’s a prominent figure on the Quiet Isle, an isolated community of priests and monks who’ve mostly taken a vow of silence and who aid the poverty-stricken people of the war-torn region. It’s here that the Hound washes up, though in the books his presence is only heavily implied rather than shown outright.

It’s a powerful, beautiful passage, marked by some of Martin’s finest prose, and his most heartfelt denunciation of war’s horror. While not a pacifist per se, Martin was a conscientious objector during Vietnam, and his injection of convincing misery and atrocity into the rousing battle sequences of the epic-fantasy genre is a big part of what made A Song of Ice and Fire such a critical success, as well as a vital corrective to the gleaming, glorified version of violence that previously characterized much of the field.

Collins hasn't usually been one to dive into and criticize the differences between the book and show, so to see him write about this change from the book was interesting.

Sean T. Collins has been writing the most interesting criticism on this show (and has been for a while now) imo. His Boiled Leather blog and podcast is worth following. Anyone else similar that is worth following?

News Bot

Banned
He shrunk last season to disguise as Waif.

I cant help but feel he is either a wizard or many faced god himself. If Syrio actually was Jaqen all along then this would raise the question why he has been so interested in Arya.

Until the show I never thought the faces were physical things that they wore. Just that they were particularly adept with the kind of glamoring magic that Melisandre constantly uses. If you can convince someone you're old, I'm sure you can convince someone that you're just "no one." Though it seems it's always been the case;

They also cure the faces of the dead who come to die in their sanctuary, hanging these on the wall as macabre masks for use in their disguises during assassination contracts. These are more than masks, however, and the wearer assumes the true appearance when applied using a tribute of one's own blood to moisten the application. In this way, the Faceless Men are using tools as part of their disguise, rather than a reliance on glamours or outright magic for disguises, like Melisandre or other followers of R'hllor.

This just seems too odd to me.

Please kill Brienne

whoa whoa whoa hold up here let's not deny anyone more amazing Tormund scenes.

Specifically me.

Also, I think show Brienne is really fantastic. I was iffy at first but I love her. And Jaime without redemption is funny, sure, but not in any way worth a damn.

Bronn, though, should live forever.

Bronn is something that the show has done well. I really don't understand why GRRM just abandoned him as a character. Has he ever hinted if Bronn comes back into the story? He deserves a good death, at least.
He may have been 'offscreen' in the books for a while, but his actions there have still been 100% more entertaining than anything the show has had him do these laat 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom