• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I'm not sure Pycelle will die by Vary's hand in the show.
Book Pycelle is a cynical but competent advisor, so he is killed to bring chaos in preparation for Targaryan rule.
Show Pycelle is incompetent and decadent. Vary's has no reason to kill him. I think Cersei will do it instead, via Qyburn or wildfire.

I want to know what Sam is doing. He's way behind the books, and has to become a badass master or whatever. It took Arya fucking ages to become an assassin.

yes I thought that as well after the last episode
kevan and pycelle are not competent leaders, varys has no reaso to kill them
but whenever they have shown kevan he was mean to cersei so it's my guess as well that we'll get a robert strong rampage in episode 10 or they are simply blown up in the red keep with all the others

I'm not sure Pycelle will die by Vary's hand in the show.
Book Pycelle is a cynical but competent advisor, so he is killed to bring chaos in preparation for Targaryan rule.
Show Pycelle is incompetent and decadent. Vary's has no reason to kill him. I think Cersei will do it instead, via Qyburn or wildfire.

I want to know what Sam is doing. He's way behind the books, and has to become a badass master or whatever. It took Arya fucking ages to become an assassin.

yes I thought that as well after the last episode
kevan and pycelle are not competent leaders, varys has no reaso to kill them
but whenever they have shown kevan he was mean to cersei so it's my guess as well that we'll get a robert strong rampage in episode 10 or they are simply blown up in the red keep with all the others

I've been on this line of thought for a while now. Cersei is going to justify it by saying that for as long as Lancel is a member of the faith Kevan will not stand up to the HS/Tommen and that Pycell is just a suck up who'll do anything he's told to. I don't think it's going to be Greg-mania though, we didn't get that scene with Qyburn and the Little Birds for nothing.

Biske

That's completely different. The endpoint of Ned's character from a writing perspective was for him to die in order to kick off the plot. Jon and Dany are clearly safe for the moment. Their purpose in the story has not yet been fulfilled.

I might be some kind of lunatic, but a disappointing death from one of those 3 could be good. Could really enjoy a series where the epic hero bites it and its all fallout and disappointment.

I might be some kind of lunatic, but a disappointing death from one of those 3 could be good. Could really enjoy a series where the epic hero bites it and its all fallout and disappointment.

I was always hoping that she'd just die of the bloody flux/diarrhea in her first chapter in Winds of Winter.

RaidenZR

I see Vox agrees with me:

And this is what I mean when I say the TV show is spoiling the books in ways most viewers don’t really consider. By ending the Arya plot so abruptly, Benioff and Weiss have all but confirmed that it’s insignificant enough in Martin’s overall scheme that he didn’t tell them much about it. In short, Martin sent Arya to Braavos for assassin training, sure, but mostly to remove her from the narrative while he shuffled other characters around.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/17/11960470/game-of-thrones-arya-next-book-george-rr-martin

tl;dr like I've been saying anything cut short or not in the tv show is filler by GURM.

This is the biggest pile of horseshit I've read in this thread in a while. What a huge, irresponsible leap to make to defend the nonsensical construction and execution that was Arya's Bravos conclusion. That bolded part is 100% pure speculation based on things we can never (and likely will never) know -- unless D&D & GRRM come out right and tell us. We have no idea what kind of written material or ideas he had to either share with them or not share with them. We can guess based on what he releases later, but we will never really know. And at this point, it's certainly plausible the Bravos - Arya stuff ends just as poorly in the books, too.

Aurongel

So the consensus seems to be that this episode won't be a single perspective, correct? Past seasons had entire episodes dedicated to critical battles but I keep hearing that this episode will have Dany and Cersei in it.

kirblar

This is the biggest pile of horseshit I've read in this thread in a while. What a huge, irresponsible leap to make to defend the nonsensical construction and execution that was Arya's Bravos conclusion. That bolded part is 100% pure speculation based on things we can never (and likely will never) know -- unless D&D & GRRM come out right and tell us. We have no idea what kind of written material or ideas he had to either share with them or not share with them. We can guess based on what he releases later, but we will never really know. And at this point, it's certainly plausible the Bravos - Arya stuff ends just as poorly in the books, too.
We can deduce that the important part of Arya's journey has to deal w/ stuff cut from the books.

But we know what has been cut!

The warging and the Faceless Man conspiracy stuff is gone on the show. Without both those parts, it's just a time killing sidequest.

Henkka

Banned
It's possible Arya's arc in Braavos won't have a "satisfying" conclusion in the books. Remember, all this was supposed to happen during the 5 year gap, with Mercy being the first post-gap chapter.

Please don't let Wun Wun, Tormund, or Lyanna get killed tonight.

Lyanna should be safe. Even D&D wouldn't stoop so low as to kill off a little girl just to use her demise as a cheap, schlocky plot dev...

cotd_email_1434136354_00013.jpg

oh....oh, shit....yeah, she's probably a goner...

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is a bit random, but I'm randomly rewatching bits of the series in anticipation for tonight's episode and god, Tyrion and Shae's relationship is so irritating.

I AM YOURS AND YOU ARE MINE.

YOU ARE MINE AND I AM YOURS.

Shut uuuuuuup, dammit!

This is a bit random, but I'm randomly rewatching bits of the series in anticipation for tonight's episode and god, Tyrion and Shae's relationship is so irritating.

Shut uuuuuuup, dammit!
Another example of the show destroying good characterization because...no reasons? Shae actually loving tyrion ruins so much nuance and character development for tyrion.

this show is reaching Marvel levels of 'I guess I'll watch it'

it'll be part of geek culture and I always hope it gets better, but not watching it isn't really an option lol with no book around.

Black_Sun

We already saw that several times.

Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Oberyn Martell etc

Gigglepoo

It's nice actually having fear that a character we like will die. This season has been bereft of tension in part because no one was actually going to get killed. We didn't even worry when Arya was stabbed in the stomach a half dozen times!

Tonights major deaths are all very obvious. Wun Wun, Rickon, and potentially Tormund. I'm 50/50 on Ramsay dying tonight, but he's losing the war. That's it.

Can't believe some of you think the mormont girl will die.

Gigglepoo

Tonights major deaths are all very obvious.

Davos? Mel? The deaths aren't as obvious as you think. There are a handful of characters who could die tonight (everyone except Jon and Sansa) and I have no idea who exactly will be killed off. Or which of those deaths are permanent.

bengraven

Catching up the episode now due to exams, watching Jaime relapsing is really painful.

Maybe he's relapsing for Cersei, but the "going evil again" thing i think was him using his reputation to get Edmure to make a quick end to the siege. He seemed hurt that the Blackfish was killed, for example.

Davos? Mel? The deaths aren't as obvious as you think. There are a handful of characters who could die tonight (everyone except Jon and Sansa) and I have no idea who exactly will be killed off. Or which of those deaths are permanent.
No way Davos is dying and Mel is going to go untouched.

Wun wun is guaranteed because D and D can't help themselves. Rickon is an obvious death because it would be extremely out of character for Ramsay to let him live before this war even starts. Tormund I feel like is a maybe because why not, but, I think they need him to be the face of the wildlings a little while longer so he might live. Jon and Sansa also will obviously live.

No way Davos is dying and Mel is going to go untouched.

Wun wun is guaranteed because D and D can't help themselves. Rickon is an obvious death because it would be extremely out of character for Ramsay to let him live before this war even starts. Tormund I feel like is a maybe because why not but also, I think they need him to be the face of the wildlings a little while longer so he might live.

Davos might kill Mel
after he finds Shireen's pyre.

Speevy

Banned
Wun Wun is dying because they can't justify a 20 foot man walking around the north.

Even D and D can't justify that.

I would have given him that outfit they gave Bronn and let him marry Lolys Stokeworth.

Wun Wun is dying because they can't justify a 20 foot man walking around the north.

Even D and D can't justify that.

I would have given him that outfit they gave Bronn and let him marry Lolys Stokeworth.

Sansa, I can drive Ramsay out of Winterfell and take back The North for the Starks... I just need [a] 20 foot man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom