• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned
The Hound's scene argue the inevitability of violence. That's a pretty horrible statement and way different from the source material.

Is it? In Dance Jon goes down a peace making path and ends up stabbed. Dany tries to secure Meereen by peaceful means and the city falls apart within and is besieged from the outside. Even the Faith have turned violent.

And when Jaime is confronted with a siege he uses threats of terror to get a resolution. Joffrey on the show was right, these petty conflicts with continue until feudalism is ended and the State (King) holds a monopoly on power.

Lothar

Banned
I think people care more about the show being shit than GRRM does anymore. His problem is people thinking the show is going to resemble the books, but once TWOW is out that won't be an issue anymore.

Jacobs is generally clueless.

More people are going to know GRRM more for the show.

The Hound's scene argue the inevitability of violence. That's a pretty horrible statement and way different from the source material.

While the slaughter of Brother Ray and the rest of the group building the church would signal to Sandor the life he once knew was inevitable, in ep 8 Beric and Thoros echo sentiments that in their own way are similar to what Ray was speaking of, but perhaps with more realistic outlooks in this admittedly violent world. They urged against answering brutality with more brutality when Sandor wanted to butcher Lem and the others. They want his help in fighting for a cause that matters, in which violence will probably be necessary to fight against a threat that can eliminate countless innocent lives, which is far cry from Sandor's previous mindset in which he expressed many times that most men are simply killers, so you need to be a better killer to survive.

jdstorm

Banned
He was a cunt before though. The arc went from him joining the Kingsguard so that he could fuck his sister to him trying to be the best Kingsguard he could be.

Book Jamie certainly wasn't a bad guy at first. He was a good guy who was in love with a girl who was trouble. However most of what we know about Jamie before he killed the Mad King was that he was almost Ned Stark level honerable or at least he viewed himself that way when seperated from Cersi. However after he saved kings landing and was essentially seen as the Villan by the whole kingdom and as a 16 year old kid he didn't handle it well and became progressively more ruthless until he was essentially willing to throw Bran out of a window. However his time away from cersi and losing his hand brings him back to the good guy he always was.

Both the show and books imply that Jamie was the guy who was stopping Robert from abusing women as King after his experiences with Aryes.

Was he a good Kingsguard Knight? The princess and king died under his watch, he had no clue where the king was this season when Tommen converted, and he didn't even realize four other kingsguard were wearing the faith's insignia. If he was trying to be the best, he was failing miserably.

Show Jamie. Terrible Kingsguard knight. 3 kings dead on his watch, 4 if you include baby Aegon and two princesses
Book Jamie. Much more competant. Deliberately killed Aryes (and let Aegon die by changing sides, but he might have been dead at this point anyway) Robert Died while Jamie was Captured, as did Joffery. While both Marcella and Tommen are still currently living. Book Jamie even makes an effort to actively train the Kingsguard, while Show Jamie just drinks with Cersi

Gigglepoo

Is it really possibility there won't be a surprise tomorrow? That would mighty lame if things played out exactly how we thought they would before the season even started.

Black_Sun

Is it? In Dance Jon goes down a peace making path and ends up stabbed. Dany tries to secure Meereen by peaceful means and the city falls apart within and is besieged from the outside. Even the Faith have turned violent.

And when Jaime is confronted with a siege he uses threats of terror to get a resolution. Joffrey on the show was right, these petty conflicts with continue until feudalism is ended and the State (King) holds a monopoly on power.

That's completely wrong. Jon gets stabbed because he wouldn't make peace with the Boltons and kept antagonizing them by negotiating marriage treaties between Alys Karstark and Signor, imprisoning a Bolton ally, trying to kidnap the lady of Winterfell and giving Stannis campaign advice.

I'm not sure why you think an absolute monarchy is a good idea. Petty conflicts continue to absolute monarchy although yes, it's preferable to feudalism.

New member here though. Hi, guys. First post.

That's completely wrong. Jon gets stabbed because he wouldn't make peace with the Boltons and kept antagonizing them by negotiating marriage treaties between Alys Karstark and Signor, imprisoning a Bolton ally, trying to kidnap the lady of Winterfell and giving Stannis campaign advice.

I'm not sure why you think an absolute monarchy is a good idea. Petty conflicts continue to absolute monarchy although yes, it's preferable to feudalism.

New member here though. Hi, guys. First post.

Hello and Welcome :3

Cromwell

Banned
Is it really possibility there won't be a surprise tomorrow? That would mighty lame if things played out exactly how we thought they would before the season even started.

The only surprise would be if Wun Wun or Ramsay don't die. I'll also eat a belt if Littlefinger doesn't show up in a Gandalf at Helm's Deep moment.

Forkball

Alright, so who's gonna bite it before the season's end?

Totally Dead Tier
Ramsay
Kevan
Pycelle
Loras
Rickon

Maybe Dead Tier
Tommen
High Sparrow
Margaery
Tormund
Edd

Alive/Plot armor tier
Dany/Jon/Tyrion trinity
All currently living Starks not named Rickon
Sneaky bros Varys and Littlefinger
Cersei and Jaime
Greyjoys
Everyone else ala Brienne, Pod, Davos, Bronn etc.
Syrio

cj_iwakura

I have a bad feeling for Davos. I hope to be wrong.

Personally hoping Nymeria runs out of the woods and bites Ramsey's arms off, Princess Mononoke style.

Black_Sun

It's exactly where the books and Sandor is headed. The colossal warrior named the protector of man who spent the whole series protecting someone isn't about to sit around the rest of the series when the dragons choke his river with corpses and the Others come.

The concept of a knight isn't a bad thing, righteous violence, and GRRM has pushed that outside of the main series so its not like he's dedicated to a pacifist angle or solely showing knights as a bad thing as a history lesson for readers. He's grounded the concept, showed its flaws and evils, and primarily used Sandor to do it. Now its time to show the other side and bring out his true knights.

I'm not so sure about that. They way it played it out in AFFC, it seems like the Hound's story is done. He's at peace now.

I'd be disappointed if GRRM brings the Hound back into the story.

Aurongel

I'm not so sure about that. They way it played it out in AFFC, it seems like the Hound's story is done. He's at peace now.

I'd be disappointed if GRRM brings the Hound back into the story.
With the amount of attention he's gotten since his reappearance, I highly doubt he'll only appear in the show. I kind of have a sinking feeling that the next two episodes are going to double down on their cliffhangers.

The Walking Dead style :|

bitbydeath

I more or less agree with your list, although I'd move Loras to the maybe pile and put Wun Wun in his place.

The Queen of Thornes may also get the same treatment as Pycelle and Kevan as she is also on the small council, so a maybe for her.

Lancel is probably a definite as well.

Black_Sun

With the amount of attention he's gotten since his reappearance, I highly doubt he'll only appear in the show. I kind of have a sinking feeling that the next two episodes are going to double down on their cliffhangers.

The Walking Dead style :|

Eh, the show and books are diverging massively. Even D & D say so.

Like say if the Hound did never do anything else in the books, you can't imagine D & D thinking they can do some more stuff with him? I mean look at his expanded role in season 4. The Hound spent like 3 solid chapters with Arya in the books but in the show it was a season and a half.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alright, so who's gonna bite it before the season's end?

Totally Dead Tier
Ramsay
Kevan
Pycelle
Loras
Rickon

Maybe Dead Tier
Tommen
High Sparrow
Margaery
Tormund
Edd

Alive/Plot armor tier
Dany/Jon/Tyrion trinity
All currently living Starks not named Rickon
Sneaky bros Varys and Littlefinger
Cersei and Jaime
Greyjoys
Everyone else ala Brienne, Pod, Davos, Bronn etc.
Syrio

I don't think Sansa has plot armor, and think she could die at just about any time.

munchie64

I more or less agree with your list, although I'd move Loras to the maybe pile and put Wun Wun in his place.

The Queen of Thornes may also get the same treatment as Pycelle and Kevan as she is also on the small council, so a maybe for her.

Lancel is probably a definite as well.
She's gone though so hopefully she's safe from King's Landing bullshit.

I see Vox agrees with me:

And this is what I mean when I say the TV show is spoiling the books in ways most viewers don’t really consider. By ending the Arya plot so abruptly, Benioff and Weiss have all but confirmed that it’s insignificant enough in Martin’s overall scheme that he didn’t tell them much about it. In short, Martin sent Arya to Braavos for assassin training, sure, but mostly to remove her from the narrative while he shuffled other characters around.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/17/11960470/game-of-thrones-arya-next-book-george-rr-martin

tl;dr like I've been saying anything cut short or not in the tv show is filler by GURM.

Gigglepoo

It makes me sad when people think character development, motivations, thematic resonance, consistency, and world building are filter.

Do you only care about basic plot details in stories?

Forkball

Yeah I would add Lancel to the definitely dead list. I'm gonna guess if Cersei does try to burn KL with wildfire, he would be one of the first victims. Or maybe the Mountain will just rip his head off, either way I think his time's up. Olenna is out of King's Landing and honestly I'm not sure when we will ever see her again. She's obviously gone until King's Landing is stable, which will probably be never. I don't think they will completely write her off, but what is there left for her to do?

Cromwell

Banned
It makes me sad when people think character development, motivations, thematic resonance, consistency, and world building are filter.

Do you only care about basic plot details in stories?

I don't think there's much character development going on in Arya and Dany's AffC/DwD plots. World building, absolutely, every page has that and GRRM is brilliant doing it. But Arya and Dany have mostly been spinning their wheels for a while now. I'm not necessarily saying that's the worst thing, since we get world building out of it, but it seems clear to me that they're two pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that GRRM had to simply put off to the side while the real meat of the story is happening in Westeros or with other characters like Barristan and Tyrion.

Black_Sun

I see Vox agrees with me:

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/17/11960470/game-of-thrones-arya-next-book-george-rr-martin

tl;dr like I've been saying anything cut short or not in the tv show is filler by GURM.

"People are talking about whether the books are going to be spoiled – and it’s really not true. So much of what we’re doing diverges from the books at this point. And while there are certain key elements that will be the same, we’re not going to talk so much about that – and I don’t think George is either. People are going to be very surprised when they read the books after the show. They’re quite divergent in so many respects for the remainder of the show."

You could cut out Robb Stark and the Red Wedding from the show but no one calls Robb Stark filler.

Hell are we really going to talk about the show cutting out GRRM's filler when the show makes filler of its own constantly.

Real Hero

I don't think there's much character development going on in Arya and Dany's AffC/DwD plots. World building, absolutely, every page has that and GRRM is brilliant doing it. But Arya and Dany have mostly been spinning their wheels for a while now. I'm not necessarily saying that's the worst thing, since we get world building out of it, but it seems clear to me that they're two pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that GRRM had to simply put off to the side while the real meat of the story is happening in Westeros or with other characters like Barristan and Tyrion.

I'm not sure how you can say Dany's stuff of learning to rule in adwd isn't character development. Same goes for Arya becoming a nameless killer after her horrific experiences ( show omitted her murdering Dareon). Whether you like it not it those things are definitely not 'filler'.

Black_Sun

Er, I don't think you remember Arya and Dany's stories in the books well then.

Daenerys' last chapter has her embracing her Targaryen heritage. Fire and blood. Dragons do not plant trees. Hell, she disowns the Meereenese as her children and says she cannot make a people good realizing she belongs in Westeros. She's meant to conquer and brute force people into doing what she want not to compromise according to her. In fact that's why her whole ADWD story was her being put in more and more situations giving up things for peace. She hated every second of it and then she snaps at the end. No more compromising.

Arya on the other hand has been progressing into Dexter. Her last chapter has her enjoy killing so much that the way she's talking about a mark of hers is framed as if she were talking about someone she wanted to bone. "She wanted him so bad." It's kinda sad.

Show Arya never gave up her soul. Book Arya has been killing people she doesn't know because the FM told her to whilst killing people she's had on her list and getting a sort of ecstasy out of it.

Cat and Arya have a lot in common actually.

dabig2

It's funny because Tyrion's been terrible in both the show and the books ever since killing his dad.

I like Tyrion in the books because we get to experience his rock bottom and his depravity along with him. He's in a dark, dark place but you're still kinda rooting for him to come out on top and recover his mojo. He also gives us the fish-out-of-water trope in Essos perspective far better than Quentyn and his band of no-name scrubs. On the show, he's just being utterly wasted, both he and Varys were. It almost makes me glad that Selmy bit it lest the show completes the hat trick.

clemenx

Banned
I think Tyrion's story is still awesome in the books and I still really like him. Really looking forward to see what happens with him.

You only have to ignore him saying where do whores go every other line. Such an innecesary thing at this point. We get it by now!

Moff

Hey bros do you remember Ned stark at all? He was the Main character ...

he was, but just like Robb, his death served a purpose
what's the purpose of danys storyline? we spent a lot of time bulding up not just her character but her surroundings as well, if she died everything that happened around her would just disappear, it would feel useless and wasted, same goes for arya, tyrion and jon. I agree that they won't die anytime soon.

NeoGiff

Hey bros do you remember Ned stark at all? He was the Main character ...

That's completely different. The endpoint of Ned's character from a writing perspective was for him to die in order to kick off the plot. Jon and Dany are clearly safe for the moment. Their purpose in the story has not yet been fulfilled.

I'm not sure Pycelle will die by Vary's hand in the show.
Book Pycelle is a cynical but competent advisor, so he is killed to bring chaos in preparation for Targaryan rule.
Show Pycelle is incompetent and decadent. Vary's has no reason to kill him. I think Cersei will do it instead, via Qyburn or wildfire.

I want to know what Sam is doing. He's way behind the books, and has to become a badass master or whatever. It took Arya fucking ages to become an assassin.

I want to know what Sam is doing. He's way behind the books, and has to become a badass master or whatever. It took Arya fucking ages to become an assassin.

I was thinking this yesterday too. Sam's story has been severely undercooked this season. He's had what, 2 or 3 scenes? So far the only purpose his story has had this year is to steal a magic sword.

Er, I don't think you remember Arya and Dany's stories in the books well then.

Daenerys' last chapter has her embracing her Targaryen heritage. Fire and blood. Dragons do not plant trees. Hell, she disowns the Meereenese as her children and says she cannot make a people good realizing she belongs in Westeros. She's meant to conquer and brute force people into doing what she want not to compromise according to her. In fact that's why her whole ADWD story was her being put in more and more situations giving up things for peace. She hated every second of it and then she snaps at the end. No more compromising.

Arya on the other hand has been progressing into Dexter. Her last chapter has her enjoy killing so much that the way she's talking about a mark of hers is framed as if she were talking about someone she wanted to bone. "She wanted him so bad." It's kinda sad.

Show Arya never gave up her soul. Book Arya has been killing people she doesn't know because the FM told her to whilst killing people she's had on her list and getting a sort of ecstasy out of it.

Cat and Arya have a lot in common actually.

One of my favorite things in the books is how over time Arya develops a really casual attitude to murder. She even briefly considers killing Hot Pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom