• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

He died off-screen.

Man, now you got me all disappointed. A direwolf killing Ramsay would've been way better.

"My dogs won't harm me."

"You're right. *Whistle*"

[Ghost enters]

"...shit."

Hahaha, just realized, someone at work was right.

Ramsay was killed by his own men.

Sort of.

mantidor

I dipped over to the No Spoilers thread to see if the amazing hour of television hype is real over there too...

That is a scary place.

jikes

you were not wrong.

This episode will win all the awards, the writing to get us here was a bit messy but the end result was very satisfying, I'm pleased.

Everyone now is expecting a bunch of people to die next episode since this one had a happy ending.

TheContact

If anything wouldn't the Bolton's tactics have been more like Hannibal's at Cannae since they were the ones that enveloped Jon's men because Jon's men charged forward too much, allowing them to get flanked and surrounded?

Main difference being the Romans at Cannae didn't have magical Littlefinger's cavalry to come save the day, I guess.

Yea d&d kinda twisted it around but according to them that's what inspired them to show that encirclement tactic

News Bot

Banned
But the impression I'm getting now, based on what they actually showed, is that Sansa turned down the Knights in the first place because she's (understandably) bitter at Littlefinger, and never spoke up about them because she wanted to hide the fact that she'd let her feelings possibly doom them all. That her keeping quiet was out of shame, not some tactical brilliance or deep insight into Jon's stubbornness.

"Yo we have a cousin in the Vale who I'm pretty chill with."

That's all she needed. Littlefinger has influence over Robin, he doesn't lead the Vale. Both Robin and Littlefinger wanted to help Sansa. There was no reason to not accept the Vale's help in the first place. Bitter at Littlefinger? Kill him and receive the Vale's help anyway, she could already throw Littlefinger under the bus. Sansa is not the same manipulator-in-training she is in the books, she has no reason to keep Littlefinger around. In the show, she cares more about intentionally harboring bitterness than retaking her home, bringing justice to her rapist and her brother's turncloak killer, and saving her other brother. All she has to say after she first turns him down and later accepts is that she wrote for help to her cousin and Jon should wait for reply.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I get that Jon would have fucked over their plan to rescue his brother no matter what, but the pile of corpses stacking that perfectly and Wun Wun being able to break through a door but not a phallanx just felt ridiculous to me. Enormous tactical failures on everyones part.

Like Wun Wun could have started throwing corpses at the phallanx with the kind of force they'd never be able to withstain. Just a tough pill to swallow I guess.

I'm 100% with you. It really ruined the battle for me. Visually stunning, but nearly everything that happened was pretty stupid.

Also, it was really odd to see a phalanx used in a medieval setting. But, whatever. It is what it is.

jikes

you were not wrong.

This episode will win all the awards, the writing to get us here was a bit messy but the end result was very satisfying, I'm pleased.

Everyone now is expecting a bunch of people to die next episode since this one had a happy ending.

Given that this episode just reminded us about the Wildfire under King's Landing, yes, we're getting a Long Pork BBQ next week.

Amagon

That must of been the most brutal battle scene I'd seen in ages.

Just mountains of dead bodies and the claustrophobia feeling when they were surround was excellent.

Bravo!

NimbusD

Damn, I gotta say, and I can't say enough, what a well fucking shot and directed episode.

The writing, like much of this season, leaves a lot to be desired. ESPECIALLY for a show like game of thrones. This was basically just pay off for so much of what the starks went through and how much ramsay did and they fucking nailed the spectacle of it.

It really had such potential to fall flat because it's pay off for seeing essentially the same scene with ramsay over and over again since, what, season three? It grew so tiresome that I was more nauseous from having to sit through the same exact scenes with him over and over with nothing to add to his character or the situation, surrounded by plot armor because you knew nothing would happen to him until an episode like this, than being nauseous from the scenes that were happening. So un-soiaf-like that it fucking hurt.

Like, the low points of this ep to me were rickon and the giant. I literally rolled my eyes during both deaths. Yeah rickon run in a straight line, that makes sense. Oh of course ramsay, the master of trickery and not really fighting, made the landing blow on the giant. Eyes rolled so hard I saw my fucking brain.

BUT, that battle was so well fucking shot and directed, I'll still give that episode a solid a or a-.

All this does is show you how Dany and 1 dragon could pretty much beat any army.

Which is a huge problem with Dany- she has the biggest plot armor around in the dragons. If the show is going to get cruel and kill off all the direwolves, please start offing the dragons to level the playing field a little bit. Besides the fact that Dany has all the charisma of a rock, her dragons just give her such a magical get out of jail free card that nothing she has been involved with plot wise has been very interesting.

And even her discussion with Asha/Yara this week was laughable. "Oh, we'll leave the world a better place than out shitty fathers." And yet hasn't her "rule" of Meereen been one unmitigated disaster after another with the people hating her and rising up against her? With the pace the show is going now I don't anticipate they'll get into any of that but I'll be so disappointed with the show if it basically just has Dany fly back to Westeros , scorch everyone with her dragons and team up with Jon to defeat the evil White Walkers.

I'm half expecting the season finale to be a bunch of people talking in front of a green screen because they blew their budget this episode.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I get that Jon would have fucked over their plan to rescue his brother no matter what, but the pile of corpses stacking that perfectly and Wun Wun being able to break through a door but not a phallanx just felt ridiculous to me. Enormous tactical failures on everyones part.

Ramsay was keeping Rickon alive to kill him in front of them. But if Jon had known about the Vale Army, he never would have marched on Winterfell to begin with. Jon would have had a winning army backing him, and might not have acted so rashly.

Sansa is either an idiot, or she wanted him to die in the battle.

Tuck

Oh, so thats were all the budget went this season.

Nice.

Pretty solid episode. Episode 9 of each season is usually really good, mainly because its all payoff, and not moving pieces into place (A skill of which the show is growing increasingly poor at).

Seeing Ramsay get chewed up was satisfying. Seeing the dragons in the beginning was satisfying, though a little short.

Definitely a step up from last week's mess.

Because season 6 and season 5 were very poorly written and rushed messes.

This episode isn't amazing on a writing level. It's amazing on a directing level.

Miguel made this episode good. And yes, some of the earlier dialogue for this episode was good but it falls apart once the battle of the bastards starts imo.

I think, for me at least, I've regarded season 6 highly just because it has the benefit of not being season 5. Its an improvement, but the show is still having trouble moving pieces into play without feeling rushed, now that its deviated from the books so much.

A part of me thinks maybe I feel this way just because I read the books. But even distancing myself from that, theres just so many rushed aspects - like Dany's story, for example.

---

EDIT: Oh, and dammit Rickon, run in a zip-zap, man! Don't fucking run straight.

Calling it now, no way in hell Rickon dies like that in the books. Or... at all.

Jeels

If that's what they were going for then they should've shown that. But what I saw was Jon saying "We've picked up every army we can, we either fight now or never," and Sansa keeping her mouth shut. If there'd been a scene of Sansa saying "The Knights of the Vale will help if we can get in touch with them: Littlefinger owes me big time," and Jon saying "lol no," then things would be fine (except we'd be complaining about Jon's stupidity).

But the impression I'm getting now, based on what they actually showed, is that Sansa turned down the Knights in the first place because she's (understandably) bitter at Littlefinger, and never spoke up about them because she wanted to hide the fact that she'd let her feelings possibly doom them all. That her keeping quiet was out of shame, not some tactical brilliance or deep insight into Jon's stubbornness.

Weird. I haven't heard anyone have this interpretation at all...it was pretty clear from the sansa and little finger scene at the beginning of the season and the letter she sent later on that she was playing the long game.

Pkaz01

Ser Davos lives!! yes!! his new bromance with tormund is awesome and so is the brewing hate for meli after he found the little stag.

interested how they play jon and sansa after this

jett

D-Member

Like Wun Wun could have started throwing corpses at the phallanx with the kind of force they'd never be able to withstain. Just a tough pill to swallow I guess.

Very little about this battle made any sense, but it was fun to watch regardless. It's a dumb show. It is what it is.

Ramsay was keeping Rickon alive to kill him in front of them. But if Jon had known about the Vale Army, he never would have marched on Winterfell to begin with. Jon would have had a winning army backing him, and might not have acted so rashly.

Eh, more like D&D are the idiots. I bet nothing will come out of your notion that Sansa actively wanted Jon dead.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Because season 6 and season 5 were very poorly written and rushed messes.

This episode isn't amazing on a writing level. It's amazing on a directing level.

Miguel made this episode good. And yes, some of the earlier dialogue for this episode was good but it falls apart once the battle of the bastards starts imo.

Eh. You can say that, but S6E07 had some of the best dialogue scenes in the entire series.

Black_Sun

Eh. You can say that, but S6E07 had some of the best dialogue scenes in the entire series.

I don't remember that episode at all? Is that the one where they tried to paraphrase the Broken Man speech but lost the point of it being about humanizing soldiers and broken men?

This.

I'd love to see a gif of Jon, Tormund and Wun Wun coming into screen looking like mad dogs. I got a kick out of that.

I personally quite liked the shot from across the battlefield, of Wun-Wun, Jon and Tormund chasing after Ramsay. The sense of scale was perfect.

bachikarn

I would have like Ramsey dying to his dogs more if what Jon said about his men turning on him came true. It would have been a nice parallel.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't remember that episode at all? Is that the one where they tried to paraphrase the Broken Man speech but lost the point of it being about humanizing soldiers and broken men?

The one with Blackfish and Jaime talking, Asha cheering Theon up, the Hound showing up...

Amazing scenes, all of them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Very little about this battle made any sense, but it was fun to watch regardless. It's a dumb show. It is what it is.

Eh, more like D&D are the idiots. I bet nothing will come out of your notion that Sansa actively wanted Jon dead.

Then Sansa is just an idiot.

Madness

Game of Thrones has reached Walking Dead levels of writing. They aren't winning emmys again or golden globes in my opinion.

Everything this season was predictable and could be seen coming from a mile away. Littlefinger playing Sansa like a fiddle and we're seeing her break bad before our very eyes. Relishing in Ramsay torture. She will doubt Jon, he is a bastard after all.

Everything so convenient too. Next episode will probably end with Bran crossing the wall stuck looking at flashback between Ned and Lyanna with Jon birth and then cut to Jon at Winterfell watching a massive blizzard coming to the Wall and then the Night King shatters it with his earthquake powers etc.

Cersei will probably wildfire the fuck out of Kings Landing ending up killing Tommen while Dany sets sail towards Westeros while Arya goes to Asshai or something.

mokeyjoe

Or she didn't know when Littlefinger was actually going to show. Littlefinger wanted Jon gone, or at least his army decimated.

XAL

Butterfingers coming in to save the day was guaranteed, saw that coming so far back.

Good episode.

I only wish they showed Ramsay getting his face, fingers, and junk ripped off by the dogs as retribution for Sansa, Theon, and Rickon.

NimbusD

I do have to say that it's pretty great that in the beginning of this season, we were all making fun of, what was it? 'bad pussy'? because of shitty dorne.

This episode was all about badass women outmaneuvering stupid men. Yara, Dany, Sansa.

The only thing that worries me is that the show is going to take this motif pretty directly for the rest of the shows run. They're not very subtle. So I can definitely see the show ending with like, all queens. I'm definitely picturing dany coming in and now teaming up with the sand snakes too, then sansa.

Not that this show can't make it somewhat interesting and gratifying on a television level (this episode is a great example of amazing directing elevating ho-hum writing), it's just that it's not really a asoiaf thing to end up with.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, let's give credit to Sapochnik and stop weighing so heavily on D and D's hack writing.

That was awesome, and television has NEVER had a battle like that.

That was approaching Braveheart/Gladiator battle status.

The fact that the visuals are so amazing and the writing is so bad just makes me really want to see how this all goes in the books. I'm sure GRRM's version of events will make a lot more sense and I'm very curious to see how he does it.

Prior to this season I feared that getting spoiled would deter my interest the books, but the opposite has happened thanks to the shitty writing.

Crisco

Banned
Meh, this show is better when the good guys all lose. Despite being beautifully shot, I thought the battle itself was boring and lacked any real tension or drama.

ryseing

I feel like I'm living in a personal bizarro world. I thought Meereen was actually good and the North kinda shitty. Jon's character arc has been completely fucked in order to redeem Sansa. The Jon we saw at the end of last season would not have taken the Rickon bait, especially after Sansa's warning. His character had gotten to the point where he was ready to see the bigger picture. You can say death changed him sure but I don't feel that's valid. While Sansa's arc needed to get back on track Jon did not need to be sacrificed in order to do so. It's poor writing and I'm quite disappointed. Now LF looks like the big hero and Jon is the moron who let emotions take hold and sacrificed needless amounts of his own men. Why would anyone follow Jon after this disaster? The way the episode was shot (which was excellent) just reinforced that to me. Jon led his men to slaughter and got lucky.

Meanwhile Dany actually seems to have come into her own, and her scenes with Theon/Yara were some of my favorites of the season. Having those three and Tyrion together for the immediate future will make for some interesting material I think.

jdstorm

Banned
Did she even know the Vale would come? She sent a Raven and never got a response. I assume the Vale rode up to where she was/where they were camped after the battle had started and that's when she found out. Then she went with them.

Still stupid to not tell Jon to wait for a response.

The last time a stark relied on little fingers help it didn't go so well. If neither Jon or Sansa trust Littlefinger, why would they plan a battle Stratergy that includes his help. Their plan was stupid. Jon is no Rob on the battlefield. But criticising the Starks for not trusting Littlefinger is dumb

Speevy

Banned
Wait, D&D think Tyrion was doing a good job running Meereen this season!?

They also said when they were writing the battle, they thought it would make more sense for Jon to be fighting for his home inside Winterfell.

Like...just him.

These are not just bad writers. They are insane.

Dysun

Nice visuals but everything was so telegraphed in advance that it had no tension

Seasons 2, 4, and 6 battles all played the same card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom