• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, she left and just happened to run into Peytr and his army? Lucky girl....

Left? You thought she was fighting alongside Jon?

She was camping out outside the battle and the fingerman shows up. The shot of them together is once the knights are already ripping up the roman phalanx. Didn't think it was that confusing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
But she did tell him to wait for more men, but he was very stubborn, thats the whole point of their scene at the beginning of the episode.
"Wait for more men" and "I contacted LF to bring the KotV" are two very different things. I can understand her not being sure if they would be there on time though because she may not know LF as a big enough power source for his transporter to move that many men and horses.

Black_Sun

Basically I think the action and the acting was top notch.

But the writing was kinda meh once the battle of the bastards began.

Jon Snow charging like an idiot by himself was unbelievably stupid.

Even I wouldn't do that if that was my little brother killed.

Lautaro

So, she left and just happened to run into Peytr and his army? Lucky girl....

If this works like a real battle then Sansa was in camp not wandering around. She could receive them there.

Also mounted armies use roads so is not like they can appear out of nowhere.

cj_iwakura

What was he going to do, turn back and get an arrow in the back? He was already committed at that point, Davos saw it too. It was believable. And they made that battle seem even bleaker than I thought, I was really starting to think they were going to lose.

Not like Jon has an especially strong attachment to living.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Even I wouldn't do that if that
was my little brother killed.

I mean... that's not how characters work. Jon Snow would have done that and he did.

gspec

I thought the Mereen stuff was good. I hated the battle of the bastard stuff. Jon is not that stupid in the books but in the show they go out of their way to make Jon look stupid at times. It is very frustrating.

I really need the winter of winter book asap this show writing is horrible most of the time.

Good thing this show isn't starring you then lol

Speevy

Banned
Jon Snow gives no fucks.

I thought it was a phenomenal episode when no one was talking. Like best thing I've ever seen.

This Miguel Sapochnik (I know that's not right) needs to direct Oscar-caliber films.

Iksenpets

Banned
Only because she didn't tell him about the Army she had coming. They'd have never approached Winterfell if she had told him to wait a day.

She didn't know they were coming. She doesn't even have an address right now that LF could have sent a reply raven to. All she could do was hope, but there was no way she could sell Jon on waiting on a hope, not with how stubborn he was, and especially once they already had one long-shot attempt at getting an outside army fall through with the Tullys.

And she didn't ride out to meet him. She was in the back, observing the battle. She made it pretty clear she was going to watch and kill herself if they lost. LF came to her in the process of his cavalry encircling the Boltons.

Jon Snow gives no fucks.

I thought it was a phenomenal episode when no one was talking. Like best thing I've ever seen.

This Miguel Sapochnik (I know that's not right) needs to direct Oscar-caliber films.

I honestly kind of doubt they get him again for future seasons because he's going to get snapped up for some blockbuster so fast. He made a dragon battle good. That's probably more impressive than anything he pulled off during the big battle.

carlsojo

Sansa played this perfectly. She knew Jon wasn't listening to her. She figured Ramsay would bait him out and his soldiers out of position. She held the Vale soldiers back until all of the Bolton men ran in and their horses were no longer a factor.

Sansa played this perfectly. She knew Jon wasn't listening to her. She figured Ramsay would bait him out and his soldiers out of position. She held the Vale soldiers back until all of the Bolton men ran in and their horses were no longer a factor.

If the Vale soldiers were there long enough for Sansa to hold them back then both sides of the battle would have seen them way ahead of time. It's pretty clear they arrived just in time to suit Littlefinger's purposes.

Speevy

Banned
What can you say about Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun

He came from White Harbor, a fisherman's son.

He sailed the Iron fleet from Dorne to Essos.

No man was wiser, or gentler.

He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out.

And now his watch has ended.

D & D lost interest after the Red Wedding.

Definitely feel that way. That's kind of the last huge signature moment in the books and season 4 with the Mountain/Viper and all that stuff was still good but it definitely feels like the RW was what they wanted to do on TV.

The thing that baffles me with the show is for how quickly D&D seem to be blowing through things now, you have all of Season 5 just seeming like a tremendous waste of time. So many of the plots that they're doing this year they could have easily done last year, which is when they would have made more sense. Then you have the bizarre treatment they've given Dorne by literally killing off that plotline (thankfully) in episode 1 and then never mentioning it since.

The production values and everything are top notch on the show and the casting is generally great, it's just such a shame that the writing and long term planning of everything seems so incredibly scattershot the past couple seasons.

Jeels

Wow...few words. What an amazing hour of television. Two beautifully shot battles. And a bunch of major characters and stories are finally converging with all the weight I expected them to. It feels like years of investment and tension just paid off.

How so? Ramsay baited Jon, and their plan of letting him charge went out the window. The shields closing in with the spears was a bit much, but it was all so well done.

That's probably exactly how real battles worked.

The mountain of bodies from which they could not escape mostly and the encirclement. I guess it looked cool and it allowed for the nicely shot trample scene with Jon, but it was just not believable

It's the most historically accurate ancient battle I've ever seen (plus giants).

TheContact

That's probably exactly how real battles worked.

It's the most historically accurate ancient battle I've ever seen (plus giants).

The battle and specifically that formation was based off the real battle of cannae, the Romans vs Hannibal. Carthage was the underdog so to speak as they had less men but they ultimately won

jett

D-Member
They spent all of the budget. Literally all of the budget.

Anyway, that was a really fun episode, however I will never understand D&D's obsession with Ramsay. What a forced, cartoon-level shitheel of a villain. Just had to kill Rickon, but I almost can understand that, just to setup their nonsensical battle. But they even made him land the coup de grace on the giant bro, for no reason whatsoever.

Fucking weirdos.

Copper

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207758363]If the Vale soldiers were there long enough for Sansa to hold them back then both sides of the battle would have seen them way ahead of time. It's pretty clear they arrived just in time to suit Littlefinger's purposes.[/QUOTE]

It would be in Littlefingers best interest for Reckon to die as well.

Black_Sun

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207758775]That's how I feel about the books, too.[/QUOTE]

Really, dude? You didn't like the latter half of ASOS or something?

Most mindblowing hour of TV ever! That's one of the best battles ever seen in any medium, better than most movies!

I am just happy we are getting payoff, finally feels like the heroes are advancing . I doubt this would happen in the books, GRRM hates happiness. But that was epic.

Black_Sun

How can you say that after an episode as immense as this?

S6 is probably my favourite season so far.

Because season 6 and season 5 were very poorly written and rushed messes.

This episode isn't amazing on a writing level. It's amazing on a directing level.

Miguel made this episode good. And yes, some of the earlier dialogue for this episode was good but it falls apart once the battle of the bastards starts imo.

Ri'Orius

She didn't know they were coming. She doesn't even have an address right now that LF could have sent a reply raven to. All she could do was hope, but there was no way she could sell Jon on waiting on a hope, not with how stubborn he was, and especially once they already had one long-shot attempt at getting an outside army fall through with the Tullys.

If that's what they were going for then they should've shown that. But what I saw was Jon saying "We've picked up every army we can, we either fight now or never," and Sansa keeping her mouth shut. If there'd been a scene of Sansa saying "The Knights of the Vale will help if we can get in touch with them: Littlefinger owes me big time," and Jon saying "lol no," then things would be fine (except we'd be complaining about Jon's stupidity).

But the impression I'm getting now, based on what they actually showed, is that Sansa turned down the Knights in the first place because she's (understandably) bitter at Littlefinger, and never spoke up about them because she wanted to hide the fact that she'd let her feelings possibly doom them all. That her keeping quiet was out of shame, not some tactical brilliance or deep insight into Jon's stubbornness.

pantsmith

I get that Jon would have fucked over their plan to rescue his brother no matter what, but the pile of corpses stacking that perfectly and Wun Wun being able to break through a door but not a phallanx just felt ridiculous to me. Enormous tactical failures on everyones part.

Like Wun Wun could have started throwing corpses at the phallanx with the kind of force they'd never be able to withstain. Just a tough pill to swallow I guess.

News Bot

Banned
Nothing about the bastard battle makes sense. The plot arc surrounding it is too contrived and forced, with weird stupidity throughout.

That said, it didn't have to make sense to be an awe-inspiring piece of television. Props to the director.

The battle and specifically that formation was based off the real battle of cannae, the Romans vs Hannibal. Carthage was the underdog so to speak as they had less men but they ultimately won

If anything wouldn't the Bolton's tactics have been more like Hannibal's at Cannae since they were the ones that enveloped Jon's men because Jon's men charged forward too much, allowing them to get flanked and surrounded?

Main difference being the Romans at Cannae didn't have magical Littlefinger's cavalry to come save the day, I guess.

The visuals in the battle were fantastic even if the plotting and tactics surrounding it were a bit daft. Rickon clearly went to the Promethus School of Running Away from Things. He had some pretty clear obstacles in the flaming flayed men to dodge behind and I'm pretty sure he even at least got as far as to run behind one of those. Nevermind why Ramsay didn't just have his archers keep firing down on Jon and his men as they charged forward even more, whittling down their numbers then bring your shield/spearmen up front to block their cavalry as you wheel your own cavalry around to then hit them from the side/behind.

If that's what they were going for then they should've shown that. But what I saw was Jon saying "We've picked up every army we can, we either fight now or never," and Sansa keeping her mouth shut. If there'd been a scene of Sansa saying "The Knights of the Vale will help if we can get in touch with them: Littlefinger owes me big time," and Jon saying "lol no," then things would be fine (except we'd be complaining about Jon's stupidity).

But the impression I'm getting now, based on what they actually showed, is that Sansa turned down the Knights in the first place because she's (understandably) bitter at Littlefinger, and never spoke up about them because she wanted to hide the fact that she'd let her feelings possibly doom them all. That her keeping quiet was out of shame, not some tactical brilliance or deep insight into Jon's stubbornness.

This makes perfect sense, though I'm getting a weird vibe from Sansa now for some reason? I have a feeling her and Jon are going to be jockeying for position next week, and there's going to be no agreement on who's in charge in the North.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom