• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hater of Hardhome weighing in -- I enjoyed this episode, so apparently I can be redeemed. I was really worried for Tormund (like yelling at the screen worried) and I was a little worried about Davos walking before the battle, with Ramsey around and all. Knew Wun Wun was a goner. Poor guy.

Some of those shots with the horses, with the bodies... man, that was intense. They brought it.

So you only think growing more powerful is a character arc?

I don't think she's growing more powerful. I think she thinks she's playing the game right now when really she's just being used by Littlefinger. She'll think she has the upper hand on him in some way and then it will be "hahaha, but my master plan". She's at least trying now. So I think her arc is more along the lines of recognizing what's going on. She has no army. She has no loyalty (yet). She has shaken the trust of Jon
judging by the preview
. I'm really curious how the North will end the season.

Pretty sure after all the shit Jon has seen beyond the wall, burning as many corpses as possible is like his prime task after the battle.

This, the entire reason for saving the wildlings was to prevent more bodies for the wight army, I will be so angry if he conveniently forgets.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I thought they did that back in the old days just to prevent outbreak of diseases. Seems like a sensible thing to do either way (based on watching Kingdom of Heaven)

Remember in season 1 when the dead Night's Watch dude woke up and tried to kill Jon? Don't know if that was in the book though, I've only read ASoIaF from ACoK onwards.

Morts

I'm not sure how far south you have to get before you don't have to worry about corpses getting up anymore. Castle Black is technically south of the wall but that wight still 'woke up' there in season 1. I doubt Rickon is going to come stumbling out of the crypt at Winterfell though.

Paganmoon

I'm not sure how far south you have to get before you don't have to worry about corpses getting up anymore. Castle Black is technically south of the wall but that wight still 'woke up' there in season 1. I doubt Rickon is going to come stumbling out of the crypt at Winterfell though.

They were killed / marked north of the wall, therefore they could wake up even south of the wall. As long as the wall is there, WW has no power south of the wall, without actually passing it. (I think).

KahooTs

She couldn't negotiate or manipulate for shit when trying to get aid from the Northern Houses. She wouldn't gain anything by killing Littlefinger given he is the only one who can help her, which is pretty sad given what he did.

They're hoping people don't think too much about it and take scenes like her dressing down Jon, feeding Ramsay to his dogs and showing up with LF as meaning she's a master player now. And that's what most show watchers will do.

The alternative would be to actually write her playing the game of thrones successfully, and I don't think they're capable of doing this. Their original attempts at plot intrigue end up like Arya and the waif, Dorne or the slave masters.

Ratrat

So you only think growing more powerful is a character arc?
I think the writers are spinning her in circles.
They're hoping people don't think too much about it and take scenes like her dressing down Jon, feeding Ramsay to his dogs and showing up with LF as meaning she's a master player now. And that's what most show watchers will do.

The alternative would be to actually write her playing the game of thrones successfully, and I don't think they're capable of doing this. Their original attempts at plot intrigue end up like Arya and the waif, Dorne or the slave masters.
Pretty much. Littlefinger is a master player because he continually manipulates people without them knowing it(killing Joffrey as a prime example). Sansa hasn't done anything of the sort. She wears black and ocassionally gets pissed off. She's basically a less intelligent and capable Catelyn at the moment.

Zakalwe

Banned
Question for book readers:

I read up until Feast, and lost my momentum as the story branched out and removed focus from my favourite characters.

I'm up to date with the show now, but I do recall certain threads from the books not appearing in the show.

Are there threads in the book that still stand to be developed for TV, or have we got to the point where the books can't realistically spoil anything for TV (this one's just curiosity)?

If I re-read Feast and move on to the next book, is there enough that hasn't been developed for TV for me to discover something new/gain enough insight into the events I've experienced to make it worth it?

I know this seems fairly obvious as books almost always contain more detail, but I'm asking for personal opinions from readers whether they consider it worth it or not.

Aiii

So not worth it

I read up until Feast, and lost my momentum as the story branched out and removed focus from my favourite characters.

I'm up to date with the show now, but I do recall certain threads from the books not appearing in the show.

Are there threads in the book that still stand to be developed for TV, or have we got to the point where the books can't realistically spoil anything for TV (this one's just curiosity)?

If I re-read Feast and move on to the next book, is there enough that hasn't been developed for TV for me to discover something new/gain enough insight into the events I've experienced to make it worth it?

I know this seems fairly obvious as books almost always contain more detail, but I'm asking for personal opinions from readers whether they consider it worth it or not.

Look up "A Ball of Beasts" it combines book 4 and 5 in correct reading order and is a much better way to consume books 4&5.

Series is now fully beyond whatever came from the books.

How the hell did a big Vale army get past Moat Cailin without being halted and/or Winterfell being alerted? I haven't seen the episode yet. Or is this just more convenient D&D writing.

The Iron Fleet, clearly being able to travel at over 10,000 miles per hour, picked them up and then transported them into the North before going over to Mereen.

Zakalwe

Banned
Look up "A Ball of Beasts" it combines book 4 and 5 in correct reading order and is a much better way to consume books 4&5.

Series is now fully beyond whatever came from the books.

I seem to remember Catelyn Stark being resurrected at some point (During Feast?).

Has the TV just worked around that now with no possibility of it happening?

I'll definitely look that up, thanks very much.

How the hell did a big Vale army get past Moat Cailin without being halted and/or Winterfell being alerted? I haven't seen the episode yet. Or is this just more convenient D&D writing.

Not only did they get past Moat Cailin, they were apparently camped there. I guess Ramsay didn't think it was worth manning after taking it from the Ironborn.

Kuroyume

Banned

There is nothing in ADWD (that I can recall since it's been years since I finished ADWD) that the TV show hasn't moved beyond. Jon's story? TV show if far ahead of it. Arya, Sansa, King's Landing stuff, The Hound, Bran, etc. There's really nothing the book can spoil for you, EXCEPT there's a plotline concerning
the faceless men
that the TV show hasn't gone into at all, but I can't recall how much of that was in ADWD.

Now that I think about it, there may be some Dorne stuff, and a plot inolving
Aegon who is still alive
which the TV hasn't touched or likely won't ever touch. If the rumors are true about next season being the last, I can't see them throwing
Aegon
stuff into the show.

Personally, I think it's worth reading. But I've enjoyed all of George's ASOIAF writing whereas fans prefer the first three books or whatever. I never felt like it was work to read any of them, nor did I feel like putting them down.

Zakalwe

Banned
There is nothing in ADWD (that I can recall since it's been years since I finished ADWD) that the TV show hasn't moved beyond. Jon's story? TV show if far ahead of it. Arya, Sansa, King's Landing stuff, The Hound, Bran, etc. There's really nothing the book can spoil for you, EXCEPT there's a plotline concerning
the faceless men
that the TV show hasn't gone into at all, but I can't recall how much of that was in ADWD.

Now that I think about it, there may be some Dorne stuff, and a plot inolving
Aegon who is still alive
which the TV hasn't touched or likely won't ever touch. If the rumors are true about next season being the last, I can't see them throwing
Aegon
stuff into the show.

Personally, I think it's worth reading. But I've enjoyed all of George's ASOIAF writing whereas fans prefer the first three books or whatever. I never felt like it was work to read any of them, nor did I feel like putting them down.

Good information, thank you.

Can anyone spoil Book Catelyn's resurrection arc for me as far as we know it? Very curious how it plays out and too impatient to wait.

Henkka

Banned

Very little of what actually happens in ADWD and AFFC made it to the show. For example, the plotlines of Brienne, Sansa and Tyrion are very different. Dorne is completely different. So yeah, I'd say there's plenty new stuff to discover.

Good information, thank you.

Can anyone spoil Book Catelyn's resurrection arc for me as far as we know it? Very curious how it plays out and too impatient to wait.

1) Cat is found I think 3 days after her death down river, she is "given the kiss" (see #2). The combination of the deepness of her throat being slit and her being dead for a full 3 days has left her not as well off as others that have come back. She's angry, and she can't really talk due to her throat.

2) She is resurrected by Lord Beric Dondarrion, who gives his life for hers and she assumes command of Brotherhood w/out Banners.

3) She proceeds to hang all Freys/Boltons/Lannisters on sight without caring if they were involved with the Red Wedding or not and this includes younger people as well.

4) When we last saw her she was with Brienne about to hang her as she thought Brienne betrayed her. She gives Brienne a mission, presumably to bring Jamie Lannister to her.

5) She's apparently planning the Red Wedding 2.0

I wonder if we'll see Dorne next episode. I'm glad Dorne hasn't been in the plotline this season though besides the first ep and it shows as its been my favorite season thus far.

Zakalwe

Banned
1) Cat is found I think 3 days after her death down river, she is "given the kiss" (see #2). The combination of the deepness of her throat being slit and her being dead for a full 3 days has left her not as well off as others that have come back. She's angry, and she can't really talk due to her throat.

2) She is resurrected by Lord Beric Dondarrion, who gives his life for hers and she assumes command of Brotherhood w/out Banners.

3) She proceeds to hang all Freys/Boltons/Lannisters on sight without caring if they were involved with the Red Wedding or not and this includes younger people as well.

4) When we last saw her she was with Brienne about to hang her as she thought Brienne betrayed her. She gives Brienne a mission, presumably to bring Jamie Lannister to her.

5) She's apparently planning the Red Wedding 2.0

Interesting, thank you. I'm very curious how future books and the show will diverge, I assume they'll both reach a similar end, but the journey there could be very different.

And thanks for the other responses.

Interesting, thank you. I'm very curious how future books and the show will diverge, I assume they'll both reach a similar end, but the journey there could be very different.

And thanks for the other responses.

The way I see it, any characters cut aren't important in the grand scheme of the final battle. Cat has been given a chance at revenge and will probably kill a lot of Frey's before being killed herself. Or like the show has done, they'll just combine characters. ex) Jon taking over for Stannis.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm sure others have thought of this, but I wonder if some of the Jon/Dany buildup, is really the actions of LF vs. Varys. Each are now in position of "guiding" the 2 "hero" characters (Depending on if/how a conversation between LF and Jon goes).

Has Dany even met Varys? I know Book Varys is more about secretly backing fAegon, while Show Varys does the same for Dany. Just wonder if they ever met, seems like he appeared as soon as Dany leaves, and leaves before Dany gets back.

I'm sure others have thought of this, but I wonder if some of the Jon/Dany buildup, is really the actions of LF vs. Varys. Each are now in position of "guiding" the 2 "hero" characters (Depending on if/how a conversation between LF and Jon goes).

Has Dany even met Varys? I know Book Varys is more about secretly backing fAegon, while Show Varys does the same for Dany. Just wonder if they ever met, seems like he appeared as soon as Dany leaves, and leaves before Dany gets back.
I can't recall if they actually met or not, come to think of it. But she definitely met Varys' counterpart, Illyrio,
who might be a Blackfyre.

What I got from this, Varys = Dany?

Tuffty

Could be mistaken but is there not some rule that resurrection only seems to work if it hasn't been that long after the person's death? Or so it's worked with Beric and Jon so far. I don't think it'll work with Catelyn considering how long it has been. I really don't think LSH is coming back.

Aurongel

Could be mistaken but is there not some rule that resurrection only seems to work if it hasn't been that long after the person's death? Or so it's worked with Beric and Jon so far. I don't think it'll work with Catelyn considering how long it has been. I really don't think LSH is coming back.
I could see her showing up and having it be something that was conveniently not brought up by any of the Brotherhood prior to that. That seems like a plot contrivance that these writers could pull.

Gigglepoo

The show doesn't have rules for resurrection. She's still not coming back though.

dubq

What rule? The only "rule" that has been stated was that "it doesn't work like that" to Arya in regard to bringing back decapitated Ned Stark.

Lol I can see how it could have been interpreted that way, but I don't think that's what they meant

Haha, I know, I was joking.

And yes, in the show it sort of does look like that. Varys and LF don't like each other so I could see LF -> Jon, Varys -> Dany, but I think LF is more concerned with Sansa and will be pushing Sansa not to trust Jon.

dabig2

Tommen has to die so we can complete the hat trick of prominent Lannisters dying in the last episode of the season (Tywin S4, Myrcella S5, Tommen S6).

SpaceHorror

She's not. I have no idea why people can't let her go.

They should have introduced her at the end of season 4. They missed their chance. I really think something else is going to happen to bring the Frey's to justice. Maybe Arya?

With Beric alive and Thoros giving no indication that he brought her back, she's dead, Jim. Hell, Walder Frey and his kin have had plenty of time to set up someone hanging Frey's this season, but nothing.

KodaRuss

How is Tommen going to die though? Who is going to kill him? Margery?

Without him the Baratheon name is pretty much toast as well. Unless Gendry is somehow shows up out of nowhere 3 seasons later...

Without him the Baratheon name is pretty much toast as well. Unless Gendry is somehow shows up out of nowhere 3 seasons later...
I forsee him either killing himself or being unintended collateral fodder in Cersei going Mad Queen on KL.

Margaery and Cersei both need him to be alive. I could see Varys doing it when he offs Pycelle and Kevan.

In the books, who's gonna do it? I suspect it'll be orchestrated by Littlefinger but who knows.

KodaRuss

I forsee him either killing himself or being unintended collateral fodder in Cersei going Mad Queen on KL.

I could see that, Cersei blowing KL up with WildFire could definitely end with Tommen being the biggest loss there.

Margaery and Cersei both need him to be alive. I could see Varys doing it when he offs Pycelle and Kevan.

In the books, who's gonna do it? I suspect it'll be orchestrated by Littlefinger but who knows.

Littlefinger would make the most sense in the books but it has been so long since I have read them who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom