• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
If they follow through on his more occultish stuff and veer away from...whatever it is he is now, he could become a solid villain.

What would you rather have, Euron as he might be, or Yara, because it seems pretty clear the show is only keeping one of them and we might have an answer on Sunday.

Euron makes Ramsay look like a toddler pooping his pants.

If they follow through on his more occultish stuff and veer away from...whatever it is he is now, he could become a solid villain.

I'm really hoping so, as well. Euron is shaping up to be an incredibly horrifying individual in the books- but so far his show presence has been nothing more than your average asshole king.

No Dragonbinder at the moot was disappointing for me- but the scene where he kills Balon was definitely solid.

‘I am the storm, brother, the first storm and the last, and you’re in my way’

Black_Sun

This just occured to me, but if the White Walkers cross the wall in the season finale, that's a hell of a lot of corpses outside Winterfell for the Night's King to add to his army, isn't it?

Well it'd take about a month to get from the Wall to Winterfell but the NK can teleport faster than LF fan who needs a recharge time of one episode while the NK only needs one scene

suzu

Thought this was an ok and predictable episode.

Wunwun should've been swinging a club around. Felt kinda wasted! I would've liked to see Ghost do something too. Even Robb used his wolf in his offscreen battles. lol

I wished Ghost ate Ramsay, but the dogs were fine too.

Kozak

Banned
Jeeze I keep thinking back to yesterday with Jon on the ground during the battle.

Seriously a cinematic achievement

I'm failing to find words to describe how I feel about it..

Poor writing aside, at least the show is beautiful.

graffix13

So...are we getting more Tower of Joy next episode? I'd really hope so as this is basically all I wanted to see this season (and Jon getting rezzed).

Has any thought been given to what the Long Night war was now that we know White Walkers were made by the Children of the Forest, thus probably weren't the enemies during the Long Night or am I getting my timelines mixed up?

The events before the Andal invasion. (i.e the long night, and the war between the children and the first men) aren't documented.

So everything we know about those times is suspect.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm really hoping so, as well. Euron is shaping up to be an incredibly horrifying individual in the books- but so far his show presence has been nothing more than your average asshole king.

No Dragonbinder at the moot was disappointing for me- but the scene where he kills Balon was definitely solid.

‘I am the storm, brother, the first storm and the last, and you’re in my way’

I don't even remember Euron much from the books.
I wasn't a fan of the kings moot to begin with, but Victorian is the one I have any real recall for. His pirate journeys were interesting, Euron to me is pretty forgettable. His character In the show reminds me of one of the brothers from the GoT Telltale game though haha.

StormKing

Sansa has had her innocence peeled away like an onion. Cersei dispelling the myths of the court. The Hound dispelling the myth of knighthood. Baelish revealing how The Game is actually played and what it all means. Ramsay took her last vestiges of humanity. Theon showed her that even broken men will still serve those they were told to be loyal to.

She watched her noble father die for idealism and then manipulated her brother Jon while realizing he's a tool to be leveraged. She even coldly watched him charge into near certain death to claim a prize she needed.

We've been led to believe that Arya is the avenging angel character, but the entire time it's Sansa. The North Remembers and all that. Hell, even the scene with Baelish just glanced over him, barely giving him two seconds of screen time - he ain't shit no more.

If Sansa doesn't sit the Iron Throne at this point I will be surprised.

Arya takes revenge with her own hands. She also doesn't manipulate her family. Arya is ruthless to her enemies and kind to her friends. Arya can sneak into anywhere and kill anyone. She's an avatar of death and justice. Arya is Varys 2.0.

Sansa is ruthless to her enemies and apparently her family as well. Sansa writing off Rickon for dead and ignoring his dead body are some of the coldest actions I've seen from a character in the show. That's why Ramsay says that he's a part of her now. Sansa is Littlefinger 2.0.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
wasn't the first time in GoT, either (and it happened again in LotR, too)
Stannis' attack on KL
Wildling battle at the Wall

I'm getting kinda tired of this trope

LF didn't come in at the nick of time.
The dirty bastard was playing for this moment for so long, he hangs back till both armies wiped themselves out and he swoops in the savior at the end... Now he has the only sizable force in the North.

So he has the final piece of leverage he needs now, they'll need his troops. You want them? He marries Sansa to pledge his army and now the sneak is warden of the north while she leads.

I mean, cmon guys. Kill him already!

FootballFan

I am so relieved that Davos
is telling Jon about what Mel did instead of just murdering her like I was afraid he would

Agreed.

On topic, only episodes 3, 5 and 9 have been above average to great this season. Even though they have their issues. Hardhome has not been topped for me and it will probably not be topped for a while yet.

Season 6 has been a better season than 5 for sure, but it still suffers from terrible writing and acting/line delivery. The action scenes(most of them) and cinematography have been great throughout though. (loved that shot of Davos with Shireens stag in his hand and the evening sky lighting up the backround as if fire was still burning)

I am still astonished as to the indifference of characters finding out that Jon died and came back, or Sansa not even batting an eyelid for Rickon (her true-born brother), or Sansa not letting Jon know about the Vale army, or Dany not immediately mounting a dragon to halt the destruction of the city and its people, or the surprise arrival of a well armed and usually mounted army to save the day (how many times has this happened now?)

The zeitgeist sustains this show and its popularity, not well written characters or story arcs. Season 1 still reigns supreme in my view, it was well acted, well written and obviously well shot. When Ned and Viserys died half the talent went with them.

Jeeze I keep thinking back to yesterday with Jon on the ground during the battle.

Yeah, that scene really stuck out since its just something you see very often in battles in movies/shows. Reminded me of some of the accounts of Agincourt where you had guys so heavily armored up that they got bogged down in the mud and literally drowned in their own helmets .

ZOONAMI

My question - how did anyone get ramsay in the dog kennels and open all the cages without getting mauled?

Maybe some sort of pull string contraption from outside the kennel? Lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Interesting enough, that was never in the script:
One day in the middle of shooting BOB, there was a moment when I realized we just could not complete the sequence as planned. Three days of consistent rain had turned the field into a bog nine inches deep with mud so thick things were slowing down, and morale with it. The crew are a tough bunch but when the wind and rain is blowing in your face 13 hours a day and for weeks on end and it’s literally a game of death to make it up the hill to grab a drink or use the loo because it’s so slippery, everyone gets a bit down.

One evening I got home and I kind of knew we couldn’t finish in the time we had left so I wrote a long email to David and Dan and the other producers to suggest an alternative that I thought we could achieve in the remaining time, but that would mean going “off book” for three days. That is to say, we’d be shooting without a script. I finished the email and made a cup of tea (no whisky in the house) then waited for the response, which I fully expected to be a public chastisement and general reaming for even suggesting that (Dan and David like their scripts executed the way they wrote them, and with good reason).

It was late already and if were going to do this we needed to employ this idea first thing the next day. But I couldn’t move forward without their consent and they were in L.A. at the time. I hadn’t even worked exactly out how I’d do it, I just knew we need a Plan B.

Anyway, not 15 minutes later, I get a ping on the email and David and Dan have replied. They said it sucked not to be able to finish as scripted but they also understood the crunch we were in and that they trusted me and to have at it.

I think that this section of the fight — in which Jon is almost buried alive by a stampede of panicking wildings — turned out as one of my favorite little moments in the sequence. No VFX, no fighting, just Kit giving a stellar performance and a crazy top shot as he pushes his way back out (we affectionately called it the “rebirthing” shot). The other reason I liked it is because of what it meant to be allowed to follow my gut and go for it. That kind of trust you can’t buy and it felt like a privilege to have been given that kind of support to go into unchartered territory by the producers in such a high stakes game
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/19/game-thrones-battle-director

More directors should go off the book from D&D's script.

Kozak

Banned
Another lol moment of the episode. He had to casually walk over the deer souvenir to remember Shireen.

He didn't forget Shireen.

He just didn't know what happened. He could only assume and piece it together from what Brienne told him.

Finding the toy near a pyre was what the scene was about..

I wasn't a fan of the kings moot to begin with, but Victorian is the one I have any real recall for. His pirate journeys were interesting, Euron to me is pretty forgettable. His character In the show reminds me of one of the brothers from the GoT Telltale game though haha.
That's part of the whole thing... People aren't taking him seriously enough and he'll soon possibly have the means to hold sway over both the wall and the dragons. That is to say, if both Dragonbinder (currently with Victarion) and the Horn of Joramun (which is currently with Sam in Oldtown, I believe) actually can do what has been claimed of them both. There's a lot of moving parts in Euron's arc at the moment, but if things align, it's not going to be pretty for anyone who he deems as being in his way.

Arya takes revenge with her own hands. She also doesn't manipulate her family. Arya is ruthless to her enemies and kind to her friends. Arya can sneak into anywhere and kill anyone. She's an avatar of death and justice. Arya is Varys 2.0.

Sansa is ruthless to her enemies and apparently her family as well. Sansa writing off Rickon for dead and ignoring his dead body are some of the coldest actions I've seen from a character in the show. That's why Ramsay says that he's a part of her now. Sansa is Littlefinger 2.0.

Well Sansa should unleash the dogs on Littlefinger and go Ramsay 2.0

I had been predicting Sansa a bad seed sinxe she lost her Stark wolf in book 1. I am just worry that Sophie Turner can't pull off those Godfather I am the bad guy moments.

Geist-

What would you rather have, Euron as he might be, or Yara, because it seems pretty clear the show is only keeping one of them and we might have an answer on Sunday.

I don't have any faith in the writers to make Euron interesting, so I'd rather keep the Yara we have now. Dany and Yara are such bros.

Heh it woulda been cool if Varys saved Arya and she became one his little birds :p

ltzqynP.jpg

a girl is a birdie too

LF didn't come in at the nick of time.
The dirty bastard was playing for this moment for so long, he hangs back till both armies wiped themselves out and he swoops in the savior at the end... Now he has the only sizable force in the North.

So he has the final piece of leverage he needs now, they'll need his troops. You want them? He marries Sansa to pledge his army and now the sneak is warden of the north while she leads.

I mean, cmon guys. Kill him already!

I totally agree with you actually.

Littlefinger has been the catalyst for everything that has happened and it makes sense that he would end up being the final big bad of the entire story... I mean who is really left to hate that can actually play the game? Cersei? nothing will come of the Mountainstein fight with whoever (The Hound... come on)... The High Sparrow? I don't think his end game is the throne but just wants a partnership with the kingdom. Euron? ehhhhhhhhhh I doubt he is anything more than a stepping stone for Dany reaching Westeros.

Black_Sun

Yeah man. Read the new TWOW chapter. He's not forgettable after that. The dude is the new big bad of the south as the others are to the north

Pkaz01

Heh it woulda been cool if Varys saved Arya and she became one his little birds :p

Saved her from what exactly? It will need to be the other way around once she steps a foot onto Westeros. She would turn the Dreadfort into the hall of faces if she was there after that battle

edit - sorry didn't see the past tense. i'm guessing you were referring to the stab wounds. That woulda been pretty cool but ruin her character even more.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Great episode!

Tormund and his glorious beard live! Phew!!

LOVE the shot of Jon's back and the cavalry charging towards him/the camera. Beautiful.

Loving Sansa's character arc!

To echo others, Dany stuff has become very tired IMO, and Tyrion's dialogue & significance feel very neutered this season. Otherwise, having a great time with the show!

SO GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom