• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

How is Tommen going to die though? Who is going to kill him? Margery?

Without him the Baratheon name is pretty much toast as well. Unless Gendry is somehow shows up out of nowhere 3 seasons later...

If the wildfire plot holds up, then he can die during then. Cersei and company has already proven their incompetence at securing his position when shit is about to go down, so he could be an unintended casualty.

I'm secretly hoping that uncle Bernie kills him once Cersei spurns the trial and starts massacring his people. Either that or the Sand Snakes make their return to kill Tommen.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
In regards to Tyrion and Theon's interaction in Season 1: Did Tyrion forget what actually happened or did D&D?

Could always assume there's offscreen interactions. I know they saw each other when Tyrion came back from the wall, unsure of any meetings before that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
In regards to Tyrion and Theon's interaction in Season 1: Did Tyrion forget what actually happened or did D&D?

Yeah, saw that video earlier. It's funny cause when I saw the new episode I was like "oh yeah, I remember that scene from season 1 when Tyrion is on horseback, nice callback", and then I rewatched the scene. The whole is pretty just Tyrion roasting Theon for an entire minute for NO reason.

Gigglepoo

Could always assume there's offscreen interactions. I know they saw each other when Tyrion came back from the wall, unsure of any meetings before that.

A callback to something we never saw? That would be really strange storytelling. Of course, D&D can't even remember plot details within one episode. Sansa rides off before Ramsay reveals that his dog hadn't eaten in a week and yet she knows that at the end. Don't they have a continuity editor?

Iksenpets

Banned
I could see her showing up and having it be something that was conveniently not brought up by any of the Brotherhood prior to that. That seems like a plot contrivance that these writers could pull.

Cat's body is long gone, and if she was actually brought back three years ago it's bizarre that no one has hinted at it, and that they nevertheless kept Beric alive. It would be way easier, if they want the Stoneheart plot, for the Freys to dump Blackfish's body in the river and have the Brotherhood raise him, so he can terrorize the Riverlands as Mister Stonefish.

mantidor

Yeah, saw that video earlier. It's funny cause when I saw the new episode I was like "oh yeah, I remember that scene from season 1 when Tyrion is on horseback, nice callback", and then I rewatched the scene. The whole is pretty just Tyrion roasting Theon for an entire minute for NO reason.

Yeah I also rewatched it, Tyrion was being the absolute asshole so their conversation in Meeren made no sense. Just insert D&D grinning like idiots, it's the explanation for most of these stuff.

A callback to something we never saw? That would be really strange storytelling. Of course, D&D can't even remember plot details within one episode. Sansa rides off before Ramsay reveals that his dog hadn't eaten in a week and yet she knows that at the end. Don't they have a continuity editor?

It happened off-screen.

I mean important characters died offscreen is this little bit that troubling? :p

Gigglepoo

It happened off-screen.

I mean important characters died offscreen is this little bit that troubling? :p

"Oh, by the way everyone, Ramsay's dogs haven't eaten in a week. Just thought you should know." I know these are tiny problems but they're emblematic of the greater issues: D&D aren't concerned with plot development or character arcs, they only want spectacle. At least they're good at that last part. Those dragons were really impressive.

hawk2025

That someone, anyone in Winterfell would share the information that the dogs have not been fed for days is not unreasonable at all.

Showing that would be completely pointless exposition.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

A shitload of this series happens offscreen. 90% of the War of Five Kings happens off screen. Oberyn manages to talk about seeing Tyrion as a baby, Jamie telling Tyrion about Aerys and the WildFire plot. An earlier Theon joke could be a reason for Tyrion to dress him down on his return from the Wall.

Black_Sun

The whole dragon's horn thing might be one of the worst ideas in the series. I'm probably in the minority there but man, what a lame thing to create specifically to throw a wrench in everything.

Apparently it's what the dragonlords used to control their dragons versus just dragon taming them the old natural way

Gigglepoo

A shitload of this series happens offscreen. 90% of the War of Five Kings happens off screen. Oberyn manages to talk about seeing Tyrion as a baby, Jamie telling Tyrion about Aerys and the WildFire plot. An earlier Theon joke could be a reason for Tyrion to dress him down on his return from the Wall.

The show has characters know things only when convenient. There's no rhyme or reason to how knowledge is passed.

For instance, Sansa used a Mormont raven to contact Littlefinger, but the Maester never told Lady Mormont about this. Why? Because of reasons, I guess. We can't reasonably deduce which offscreen conversations are happening and which are not so when characters all of a sudden have knowledge they shouldn't, it just feels like another D&D hand wave.

Moff

Should he have let Rickon die without doing anything to try and stop it?

the question is what was the trap, that he tries to save rickon? he fell for that, and it was understandable

but they show made it look like there was plenty of time to get back after that, but he didn't and that was not understandable, it was super stupid

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
the question is what was the trap, that he tries to save rickon? he fell for that, and it was understandable

but they show made it look like there was plenty of time to get back after that, but he didn't and that was not understandable, it was super stupid

Seemed to me that he only really had time to go forward since going back would've meant he'd have gotten hit by an arrow.

Black_Sun

About the bolded: I wouldn't be so sure. The endgame baddie is obviously the Night King and his cohorts, but if we're talking human, then I would have to go with Littlefinger. His threat is obviously much more subtle, and I wouldn't be surprised if he survives and ends up in a relatively comfy place by the end of the show and/or books. Euron is powerful, ambitious and cunning, but he strikes me as overconfident, not unlike show Ramsay: seemingly invincible and extremely lucky, until he isn't. He'll bite the dust at some point.

All the villains will bite the dust at some point.

Anyways GRRM said that the Night's King does exist in the books.

And Littlefinger is described to be rolled over by the magical plot whereas Euron isn't.

The Others will destroyed at Winterfell where winter fell

Euron, the first storm and the last, will be stopped at Storm's End where the storms are ended

Has anyone read up on/looked into the theory that there are a clutch of dragon eggs in the deepest levels the Winterfell crypt, from the dragon Vermax?

Makes Jon's dreams more interesting, if you approach them from that angle:

"And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. It's black inside, and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow I know I have to go down there, but I don't want to. I'm afraid of what might be waiting for me. The old Kings of Winter are down there, sitting on their thrones with stone wolves at their feet and iron swords across their laps, but it's not them I'm afraid of. I scream that I'm not a Stark, that this isn't my place, but it's no good, I have to go anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream." He stopped, frowning, embarrassed. "That's when I always wake."

Also:

"Last night he had dreamt the Winterfell dream again. He was wandering the empty castle, searching for his father, descending into the crypts. Only this time the dream had gone further than before.

I really do think there's something in the crypts that will link Jon to his true heritage. Could they be dragon eggs? Another hint, possibly, is from something Vermax's rider, Jacaerys said:

"Our uncle calls us Strongs, and claims that we are Bastards, but when the lords see us on dragonback they will know that for a lie. Only Targaryens ride dragons."

Could all be rubbish or tinfoil hattish but still interesting to me. Perhaps there's something far simpler for Jon to find, but how has not anyone else discovered it, whatever it may be, in the crypts by now?

The show may shutter all that in the show and just have Littlefinger tell Jon or something, as Bran discovers it via greensight at ToJ.

Lol 🙃

Black_Sun

Question for book readers:

I read up until Feast, and lost my momentum as the story branched out and removed focus from my favourite characters.

I'm up to date with the show now, but I do recall certain threads from the books not appearing in the show.

Are there threads in the book that still stand to be developed for TV, or have we got to the point where the books can't realistically spoil anything for TV (this one's just curiosity)?

If I re-read Feast and move on to the next book, is there enough that hasn't been developed for TV for me to discover something new/gain enough insight into the events I've experienced to make it worth it?

I know this seems fairly obvious as books almost always contain more detail, but I'm asking for personal opinions from readers whether they consider it worth it or not.

They're considered worth it but the show and books have diverged in pretty huge ways.

A lot of plots that are in the books won't make it into the show. The show is rushing through to finish in the next 13 episodes now.

nampad

Like:
-The battle looked awesome, can't remember anything (with swords) that looked as cool.
-Ramsay is finally gone, he overstayed his welcome quite a bit.

Dislike:
-Ramsay hitting Rickon with an arrow over at least a hundred meters, lol.
-Jon falling for the trap and no command to try to break out the ring in one direction (the giant could have easily broken it open throwing stuff at it).
-Sansa not informing Jon about the Vale army.

The latter thing could be great though if it was done because Sansa is afraid Jon will try to steal her claim and she wanted him dead.

I'd be shocked if he isn't dead by the end of this week's episode.

Agreed. I think Tommen is done this ep.

Do I sense a "does tommem die the next episode" GAF betting pool? All I could see happening is that Margaery's plan is to get rid of Tommem, and she'd be the queen. But that would only make sense if she's pregnant right? Can't recall if spouses without children can rule over their dead spouse.

So what does the arrival of Winter mean in a practical sense? Will Kings Landing be under five feet of snow?

I'd think it depends on the Winter, but the assumption is this isn't going to be a mild one.

I also think for logistics reasons that we probably won't see all of Westeros buried in deep snow, just because it would prevent characters from moving from place to place.

HolySheep

Neo Member
Has anyone read up on/looked into the theory that there are a clutch of dragon eggs in the deepest levels the Winterfell crypt, from the dragon Vermax?

Makes Jon's dreams more interesting, if you approach them from that angle:

"And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. It's black inside, and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow I know I have to go down there, but I don't want to. I'm afraid of what might be waiting for me. The old Kings of Winter are down there, sitting on their thrones with stone wolves at their feet and iron swords across their laps, but it's not them I'm afraid of. I scream that I'm not a Stark, that this isn't my place, but it's no good, I have to go anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream." He stopped, frowning, embarrassed. "That's when I always wake."

Also:

"Last night he had dreamt the Winterfell dream again. He was wandering the empty castle, searching for his father, descending into the crypts. Only this time the dream had gone further than before.

I really do think there's something in the crypts that will link Jon to his true heritage. Could they be dragon eggs? Another hint, possibly, is from something Vermax's rider, Jacaerys said:

"Our uncle calls us Strongs, and claims that we are Bastards, but when the lords see us on dragonback they will know that for a lie. Only Targaryens ride dragons."

Could all be rubbish or tinfoil hattish but still interesting to me. Perhaps there's something far simpler for Jon to find, but how has not anyone else discovered it, whatever it may be, in the crypts by now?

The show may shutter all that in the show and just have Littlefinger tell Jon or something, as Bran discovers it via greensight at ToJ.

Lol 🙃

There's also !the dragon beneath winterfell" theory. In Clash of kings Bran warged into summer(But didnt have control or something like that) and Summer saw a winged snake in the sky which roar was fire. Its interesting because its not clear if its a dream or not. Its written like he's just inside Summer(he's eyes are clouded though):

"No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but the snake was gone."

Ithil

So what does the arrival of Winter mean in a practical sense? Will Kings Landing be under five feet of snow?

The key is that it's been summer for a long time, decades, so this winter is going to last as long and be devastating in the aftermath of the War where much farmland and farming villages were ruined, and huge numbers of young males died in the battles. They're totally unprepared for winter except in places like the Reach and Dorne where its warmer/untouched by the way, and it's going to be a long one.

That's not even taking the Walkers into account.

I just learned something of Hodor's death with relation to GRRM and his plans which I'm sure was posted here before but still just in case. Not sure if spoiler territory since it's unreleased material and this came from an interview. I tiny URL'd it if someone is interested.

http://tinyurl.com/j6fjtkn

But once again don't click if you don't want to know plot points/plans for the books and how they relate to shit that happened in the show so far.

It's been discussed that it will be a harsh winter but not an ice age...

I want a Ghost/Dragon team now.

never-ending-story.jpeg

me too

mantidor

"Oh, by the way everyone, Ramsay's dogs haven't eaten in a week. Just thought you should know." I know these are tiny problems but they're emblematic of the greater issues: D&D aren't concerned with plot development or character arcs, they only want spectacle. At least they're good at that last part. Those dragons were really impressive.

I'm mostly joking, I actually agree with you. And damn those dragons were on point, I can almost forgive them for killing everything else that is CGI. Poor direwolves :(

That someone, anyone in Winterfell would share the information that the dogs have not been fed for days is not unreasonable at all.

Showing that would be completely pointless exposition.

hmmm that would not be pointless exposition at all, she could have stayed a little while, or Ramsay could have mentioned it before she left. Done. You don't have a weird hole in your writing that now your viewers need to fill in.

There's also !the dragon beneath winterfell" theory. In Clash of kings Bran warged into summer(But didnt have control or something like that) and Summer saw a winged snake in the sky which roar was fire. Its interesting because its not clear if its a dream or not. Its written like he's just inside Summer(he's eyes are clouded though):

"No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but the snake was gone."
Yep. Was going to add that quote but got interrupted at work haha.

Do we know where Summer was exactly when Bran saw this snake? It's possible that was more symbolic than literal, as how could no one in the north notice a dragon flying around. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom