• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that we're going to get something that's not just a straightforward R+L=J in the ToJ tomorrow. Some sort of twist beyond J's heritage itself.

jerry113

Banned
I think the showrunners are done with twists. They are going to go for the obvious paths of least resistance now, tidy up loose ends, and speed towards a conclusion as soon as possible.

Cromwell

Banned
I think the showrunners are done with twists. They are going to go for the obvious paths of least resistance now, tidy up loose ends, and speed towards a conclusion as soon as possible.

That's pretty much what most of this season has been so far, so I agree with this. If there's actually only 17 episodes left they don't have time to open up any new plots.

Well, no one really cares about the North. Had Robb not wanted to take the Riverlands with him, King's Landing might have just let him go.

As for the North and the Wildlings, I imagine the North might open up to them once the White Walkers become a bit more public.
The Riverlands declared for Robb, it's not like he could have simply ignored them and let his mother's land be destroyed. Also Riverrun was an ideal seat for Robb to operate from during his campaign. Ultimately there was no way for the Riverlands not to be drawn into the war.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
OK then.

Will the final shot be Dany with the dragons in the background, or the dragons with Dany in the background?

If Dany isn't actually on the back of Drogon with the ships underneath them, I'd say Dany with dragons in the background. It's about Her going west.

Black_Sun

She will pay the iron price.

It's Jeor Mormont's sword and he gave it to Jon.

I suspect that Jon will give up Longclaw in the books back to the Mormonts/Jorah and wield Oathkeeper but with a new pommel. It's in Targ colors after all and made from Ice. Kinda like a reverse version of himself. He looks like a Stark but made from Fire.

To be fair, despite direct brother-sister incest being so prevalent the Targaryans did pretty well until the Mad King. Three hundred years until a total nutcase is petty damn impressive. In real life, so much incest would've produced a Charles II type deformity in only a couple generations, and if SOMEHOW they kept inbreeding it would've only gotten worse from there.
They had mad kings well before that, just look at Maegor the Cruel. Guy usurped his nephew's throne and his father's dragon, had nine wives, had several of them killed, made several houses go extinct, offered a gold coin for everyone who brought him the scalp of a Warrior's Son, held a tourney to the death to decide who should get Harrenhal, killed his nephew and his nephew's dragon and was ultimately poisoned by his own family.

Black_Sun

This is the most likely outcome. But i will be a happy man with the Night King destroying the Wall

The question then becomes why didn't the Night's King so it sooner.

It also confirms that to me at least that some of Euron's actions will be given to the show only Night King

Well see if Jon becomes King in the North in the books which I think he does, he'll become King in the North in the show. GRRM's been setting the ground for it since book 1 by keeping Jon away from the main action, killing off Robb, Robb's will, Northerners loving the Starks, making Bran, Arya and Rickon disappear and then marrying Sansa off to Tyrion.

I mean it would feel a little forced in the show because Jon is a dullard in the show. He has no charisma and is a poor general according to Kit Harrington. And Show Jon has been consistently portrayed as a good warrior but not a good leader nor particularly bright. Maybe that's a bittersweet thing to do. Jon becomes King in the North but he's a very poor leader. The poor man's Robb Stark. Like a theme the show has consistently touched is that good warriors don't make good kings.

Yeah there's a very intentional through line that Robb was groomed to lead the north and would have done so well, but he was thrown into an impossible situation.

queue all my :feelsbadman:s

Forkball

Ok so everyone think that the rumor that Cersei ordered Qyburn to investigate are the caches of wildfire buried underneath King's Landing.

But back in season 2, the show had already established that Cersei knew about the wildfire and in fact commissioned the pyromancers to make more to burn Stannis' fleet at Blackwater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gaOlGXBVIo&t=2m14s

Are the writers forgetting this? Or is the rumor something else?

Cersei did in fact order the pyromancers to make wildfire for the siege. However, I think it is a rather unknown fact that there is still wildfire all over the city and not just under the Red Keep. We don't exactly know what rumor Qyburn was investigating, but one could assume it would be not if there was wildfire in the castle, but if it was still placed around the city. I'm sure Jaime told Cersei about it beforehand, but no one bothered to remove them.

Also reposting my death predictions I made before episode 9:

Totally Dead Tier
Ramsay
Kevan
Pycelle
Loras
Rickon

Maybe Dead Tier
Tommen
High Sparrow
Margaery
Tormund
Edd

Alive/Plot armor tier
Dany/Jon/Tyrion trinity
All currently living Starks not named Rickon
Sneaky bros Varys and Littlefinger
Cersei and Jaime
Greyjoys
Everyone else ala Brienne, Pod, Davos, Bronn etc.
Syrio

Bolded got got. Tormund looks like he will survive this season, but I still think everyone in the maybe pile still could bite it. I think a lot of the other deaths ride on how spectacular the wildfire explosion is going to be. Are we talking Carrie or Blackwater Bay? Some people still got out in Carrie, right? I also think Mel has a big chance of dying next episode, but I still want to see her stay with us, especially since Dany is coming.

Also I'm curious to see what happens if the north throws its support behind Jon instead of Sansa.

Cromwell

Banned
Cersei did in fact order the pyromancers to make wildfire for the siege. However, I think it is a rather unknown fact that there is still wildfire all over the city and not just under the Red Keep. We don't exactly know what rumor Qyburn was investigating, but one could assume it would be not if there was wildfire in the castle, but if it was still placed around the city. I'm sure Jaime told Cersei about it beforehand, but no one bothered to remove them.

Also reposting my death predictions I made before episode 9:

Totally Dead Tier
Ramsay
Kevan
Pycelle
Loras
Rickon

Maybe Dead Tier
Tommen
High Sparrow
Margaery
Tormund
Edd

Alive/Plot armor tier
Dany/Jon/Tyrion trinity
All currently living Starks not named Rickon
Sneaky bros Varys and Littlefinger
Cersei and Jaime
Greyjoys
Everyone else ala Brienne, Pod, Davos, Bronn etc.
Syrio

Bolded got got. Tormund looks like he will survive this season, but I still think everyone in the maybe pile still could bite it. I think a lot of the other deaths ride on how spectacular the wildfire explosion is going to be. Are we talking Carrie or Blackwater Bay? Some people still got out in Carrie, right? I also think Mel has a big chance of dying next episode, but I still want to see her stay with us, especially since Dany is coming.

Also I'm curious to see what happens if the north throws its support behind Jon instead of Sansa.

Everyone in the rest of your totally/maybe dead tier could possibly die tonight, besides Tormund and Edd.

KahooTs

Robb fucked up. He sent his mother to treat with the Freys, then played ball with Walder, consenting to marry himself and a princess of the north to them. Put his faith in Balon Greyjoy. Went west when he should have marched south on KL. Let his bannermen walk and lost WF when he left it to a maester and an ancient nice guy knight.

He is the blueprint of what not to do for Jon when Jon goes south. Jon will hold Theon over a barrel for the Ironborn support. He will have them land west of the twins while he leads his force on the east, take the castle and kill Walder and any other Frey until he gets a compliant one as lord who will follow him no questions asked. He will not fuck about in the west, instead of sending a decoy he will march himself straight down the middle and win at trident. He will outright destroy everyone who doesn't bend to him and anyone who threatens to leave because they don't like his calls.

This is what kill the boy is about.

Black_Sun

Robb fucked up. He sent his mother to treat with the Freys, then played ball with Walder, consenting to marry himself and a princess of the north to them. Put his faith in Balon Greyjoy. Went west when he should have marched south on KL. Let his bannermen walk and lost WF when he left it to a maester and an ancient nice guy knight.

He is the blueprint of what not to do for Jon when Jon goes south. Jon will hold Theon over a barrel for the Ironborn support. He will have them land west of the twins while he leads his force on the east, take the castle and kill Walder and any other Frey until he gets a compliant one as lord who will follow him no questions asked. He will not fuck about in the west, instead of sending a decoy he will march himself straight down the middle and win at trident. He will outright destroy everyone who doesn't bend to him and anyone who threatens to leave because they don't like his calls.

Remember that Robb wasn't a king and Arya wasn't a princess at the time. He was an heir to the Warden of the North and Arya was a lady. It was also the only way that Robb could've come south in time to rescue Riverrun and capture Jaime.

Robb also didn't have the manpower to take KL because Tywin's army was in the way with as big of an army as his and Tywin preparing another army to come from the west so he had a good strategy. Hit the barely built army before it can join with Tywin, raid the Westerlands until Tywin has to come west .and then have Roose and Edmure attack from from behind as Robb attacks him from the front . It was a brilliant plan that was only foiled by Edmure's stupidity in blocking Tywin in time for him to go attack Stannis.

That's also a lot of stanning over Jon. Jon isn't coming south anyways. He'll be too busy fighting the Whjte Walkers.

They had mad kings well before that, just look at Maegor the Cruel. Guy usurped his nephew's throne and his father's dragon, had nine wives, had several of them killed, made several houses go extinct, offered a gold coin for everyone who brought him the scalp of a Warrior's Son, held a tourney to the death to decide who should get Harrenhal, killed his nephew and his nephew's dragon and was ultimately poisoned by his own family.

That's not really insanity though, thats just being an asshole.

KahooTs

Remember that Robb wasn't a king and Arya wasn't a princess at the time. He was an heir to the Warden of the North and Arya was a lady. It was also the only way that Robb could've come south in time to rescue Riverrun and capture Jaime.

Robb also didn't have the manpower to take KL because Tywin's army was in the way with as big of an army as his and Tywin preparing another army to come from the west so he had a good strategy. Hit the barely built army before it can join with Tywin, raid the Westerlands until Tywin has to come west .and then have Roose and Edmure attack from from behind as Robb attacks him from the front . It was a brilliant plan that was only foiled by Edmure's stupidity in blocking Tywin in time for him to go attack Stannis.

That's also a lot of stanning over Jon. Jon isn't coming south anyways. He'll be too busy fighting the Whjte Walkers.

Ok he wasn't yet KITN, Arya and himself were still far too valuable to waste on the Freys. It wasn't the only way, it's the only presented way when Robb turns up outside the Twins and needs explaining from Catelyn on the situation. Jon will plan before hand, and put himself in the box Robb did. Robb did not have to lead a force to RR himself, and nor will Jon. Jon will defeat a bigger army than his own on the trident, he will not let a river stop him. And he will do better than trusting in those who would fail him. A plan which fails miserably is not a brilliant plan.

Jon coming south is as intrinsic to his arc as Dany heading west is to hers and foreshadowed in no uncertain terms. His whole arc is about accepting he's a Stark, and it will be brought to a head by rejecting he's a Targaryen, a Targaryen king in fact. He will have control of KL and the bloodline to sit the throne and reject it, instead he'll bow to it, because that's what Ned would have done, because that's what will be required to galvanise the realm to fight the Others.

I'm no Jon fan, if I'd my way Westeros would have but one neck and Stannis would be doing the cutting, but Jon coming south, triumphantly, is just clearly one of the cornerstones of his arc.

In all fairness, had Cat not set Jaime free and had Theon not betrayed him, Robb probably still would have been fine.

Apt101

It seems as though Jon will have a substantially smaller army than Robb - so his options will be limited (marching south may not even be an option). Theon, if he makes it back, will be with an invading force and out of Jon's reach. There's also the fact Jon and Sansa will want to remain in the North to fight the dead, but Baelish is now a wild card. I'm sure we'll learn a lot tonight about how things may proceed in season seven.

I'm interested in seeing where Dany makes landfall if she makes it to Westeros at all.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Anyone want to take bets on which characters are dying tonight, AV Club style?

Personally I'm gonna go for Kevan, Qyburn, Tommen, The High Sparrow, Lancel and Septa Unella.

Also, very, very possibly Melisandre.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Personally I'm gonna go for Kevan, Tommen, The High Sparrow, Lancel and Septa Unella.

Kevan is pretty much a given. Even though his story line as the competent ruler is absent in this season. The High Sparrow is the only real threat left so I think they're going to off him next season. Lancel is pretty much dead since he's served his part. Septa Unella will be forgotten by the screenwriters so if that's dead then she's dead too.

duckroll

I'm guessing they'll probably mirror the end of the last book and Kevan and Pycelle are as good as dead. They could take out Lancel too, and maybe Loras? I can't see the High Sparrow dying yet though. Maybe I just want him to stick around, lol.

Apt101

Personally I'm gonna go for Kevan, Tommen, The High Sparrow, Lancel and Septa Unella.

Dead
High Sparrow
Kevan
Lancel
Margaery
Qyburn
Septa Unella
Ser Robert Strong
Tommen
(I have a feeling Qyburn and Strong might be caught up in whatever malicious scheme Cersei is cooking up, but I italicize them because I feel it unlikely. Also Cleganebowl get hype)

Threatened/death foreshadowed for next season
Melisandre
Petyr Baelish
Ser Beric Dondarrion

Apt101

I wonder what possible reason they are going to conjure up for the Hound to be anywhere near Robert Strong.

A chance meeting would be my guess, like Brienne and Sandor. Cersei escapes with Strong in tow, they have to flee North - either by sea or land - and they cross paths with The Brotherhood'. That would be my guess.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Really? I didn't know. Also, that reminds me: I still need to watch The Sopranos.
The scheduling for The Sopranos was horrible. It was 16 months between the end of the 3rd season and the start of the 4th. They took 15 months off between seasons 4 and 5 and 10 months between the end of the first half of the final season and the second half.

Final shot will be tommen dying as a southern man sings

"in the deep dark Chambers of Kings Landing. That's the place where I knew my bloodline. You'll never leave Westeros aliiiiiive"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom