• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry113

Banned
Always took this that she knew of Wildfire existing (as generally alot of people did), and wanted the Pyromancer's to make it to defend the city (City had less guards to defend, so using a deadly weapon to bolster the defense would make sense).

So, the Pyromancer's made some wildfire, they didn't go grab the old supply of wildfire, which may have been a rumor.

Trying to remember, when was it stated in the show first, that Wildfire under KL existed? Was it Jaime talking to Brienne in the baths? Did Tyrion actually mention this fact ever?

Ooh, you're right. Cersei knew about how wildfire could do and that they could make it, but she didn't know about the caches that already exist buried under King's Landing.

I believe wildfire being under KL was first mentioned during that bubble bath time with Jaime and Brienne.

Also: I disagree that only the hardcore know who Walder Frey is. He was featured prominently in the Red Wedding episode as the guy who orchestrated Robb and Catelyn's death and had the last word on Catelyn's death too. Everyone knows who is when they see and hear him on screen.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
They already ended on Dany twice so I hope it's something new.
It's Dany's turn again since the North got last season:

Season 1 - Dany got Dragons
2 - Zombies in the North
3 - Dany is Messiah or something
4 - Arya and Tyrion go to the East
5 - Jon dies (aka the North)
6 - Dany and co go to Westeros
7 - surely something to do with the North
8 - the Iron Throne

dabig2

Well, I thought of him, but he's like an "underboss." I could have thrown out Royce at the Vale, or Howland Reed.

I honestly think Tarly is going to jump ahead to boss status if the only Tyrell left after next episode is Olenna. The Tyrell house will be extinct for all purposes, and if the entirety of KL goes up I think a lot of Tyrell forces are going to go with it, meaning the Tarly forces are now the main force of the region. This would be similar to the Boltons supplanting the Starks (well, without all the treachery and subterfuge).

jerry113

Banned
I honestly think Tarly is going to jump ahead to boss status if the only Tyrell left after next episode is Olenna. The Tyrell house will be extinct for all purposes, and if the entirety of KL goes up I think a lot of Tyrell forces are going to go with it, meaning the Tarly forces are now the main force of the region. This would be similar to the Boltons supplanting the Starks (well, without all the treachery and subterfuge).

Surely there are some Tyrell cousins uncles or aunts still out there who would just take the reigns?

grandjedi6

Surely there are some Tyrell cousins uncles or aunts still out there who would just take the reigns?
Not in the show. They made a point this season that Loras is THE family name.

Baratheons and Tyrells are about to join the Martells as extinct families.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

True, and with Randall getting a nice introduction (and hopefully shored up in E10), could make for an interesting addition.

Just thinking at the rapid increase in extinct houses (as the show kind of refuses to talk about extended relatives).
Starks are down to 1 male and 2 daughters, with the male probably having a destiny way beyond furthering his house.
Tyrell's could literally be an elderly woman
The Martell's are gone, except for Oberyn's daughters
Tully's might only be Edmure, with an offscreen heir, both are hostages
Robert Arryn is all that's left, and he's got to be doomed under LF.
Lannister's are going fast, Tyrion seems to be in a safe position, while Jaime and Cersei are in precarious spots (KL and The Twins). The only extended family shown are also stuck in the KL danger (Kevan/Lancel)
Baratheon's are gone.
There are a shitload of Frey's, so it all depends on what/if anything happens.
Greyjoy's might be ok, but they're crazy. Theon's a dead end.
Technically* the Targaryen's are extinct, as Dany cannot have kids anymore.

*=R+L=J

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Could the wall being broke being the season finale? After all we get Bran this episode. Although Dany going would be pretty sweet as well. Actually it will be Dany the season finale and the season opener episode ender will be the wall coming down.

grandjedi6

So wait, if R+L=J is confirmed in story AND Jon is somehow legitimized, wouldn't he become Jon Targaryen instead of Jon Stark?
Yeah, that's supposed to be the twist on Jon's story. He finally gets legitimized only to still not be a Stark or heir of Winterfell. Because you never get what you want in this universe and if you do, it's going to be a bad thing.

Not sure how the show will deal with it though. Wouldn't be surprised if he just went by Stark anyway.

Yeah, that's supposed to be the twist on Jon's story. He finally gets legitimized only to still not be a Stark or heir of Winterfell. Because you never get what you want in this universe and if you do, it's going to be a bad thing.

Not sure how the show will deal with it though. Wouldn't be surprised if he just went by Stark anyway.

Sansa has a more legitimate claim though doesn't she?

Doesn't the order go

Father > Sons by age order >daughters by age order> Bastards?

Seems like bastards have little to no claim

grandjedi6

Sansa has a more legitimate claim though doesn't she?

Doesn't the order go

Father > Sons by age order >daughters by age order> Bastards?

Seems like bastards have little to no claim
According to GRRM, legitimization happens so rarely that there is no precedent for where a legitimized bastard falls in the inheritance. Robb, at the very least, viewed a legitimized Jon's claim to be above Sansa's (hence his letter to legitimize Jon so that the Lannisters wouldn't inherit Winterfell through the captured Sansa). In the end, it probably falls to whether or not anyone challenges the legitimate bastard's claim. Which none of the other Stark children would do.

...except if Jon's a secret Targ in which his claim would again fall to last. Ah the irony! I don't believe the show will make a big deal about this fact though. Jon will likely inherit Winterfell regardless on the show.

dabig2

True, and with Randall getting a nice introduction (and hopefully shored up in E10), could make for an interesting addition.

Just thinking at the rapid increase in extinct houses (as the show kind of refuses to talk about extended relatives).
[snip]

Yeah, next episode should be interesting if the mayhem happens. The fate of the Lannisters and Tyrells in particular might be looking dangerous tomorrow. Hopefully the Freys will join the slaughter parade because fuck those guys :)

I just hope the show can do justice to Randall Tarly in the time they have left. I love his descriptions in the book as a dangerous man and he's definitely a man of action. Add in him being the nemesis in Sam's personal story and the actor giving off that hardass, old man demeanor of Tywin and Roose and I think we have a perfect antagonist in the show for people to root against. He's a better fit than Theon's drunk hooligan uncle at least, and the Freys are too much of a joke status to really instill fear - only contempt.

According to GRRM, legitimization happens so rarely that there is no precedent for where a legitimized bastard falls in the inheritance. Robb, at the very least, viewed a legitimized Jon's claim to be above Sansa's (hence his letter to legitimize Jon so that the Lannisters wouldn't inherit Winterfell through the captured Sansa). In the end, it probably falls to whether or not anyone challenges the legitimate bastard's claim. Which none of the other Stark children would do.

...except if Jon's a secret Targ in which his claim would again fall to last. Ah the irony! I don't believe the show will make a big deal about this fact though. Jon will likely inherit Winterfell regardless on the show.

So Targ in Winterfell an Targ in King's Landing?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Would Jon's lineage actually matter, if he is able to claim Winterfell by victory instead of birthrights?

His army seemed to consist mostly of men that weren't fighting for the Stark name, but Jon himself (as well as survival againt Ramsey). Jon didn't really want to fight for Winterfell, mostly to save his Brother and keep themselves safe from a madman making demands of them.

If you count that the victory was won by The Vale, then really, you could say that Robin Arryn/LF and the Vale now own the North. Sansa's best hope is for LF to bequeath Winterfell to her, after winning it with his army.

grandjedi6

So Targ in Winterfell an Targ in King's Landing?
That's definitely the path the show is going down. Though they could always pull in one of the Jon-Dany marriage theories and have double the Targ fun in Kings Landing.

But it wouldn't surprise me if everyone on the show continues to call him Jon Snow or Jon Stark.

Severance

This is really weird, but I started my free month with HBO Now for the season premier. I cancelled it before the month was over and it mysteriously renewed for another month without me paying a dime from my Google Play balance or bank account. And it just renewed for a third month without me paying. It even states that my Google account is being charged when it's not. I'm not complaining, its just well.. Thanks HBO! On to the season finale. 24 hours to go. What a ride it's been too. I think they redeemed themselves after a lackluster season 5. The finale seems like it's going to be packed.

KahooTs

Robb wouldn't have legitimised Jon as just a Stark or heir to WF though, he'd have legitimised him and made his heir, King in the North, which would trump all. It would even trump Edmure if he were to get RR back. Jon could declare himself a Stark in the show given he controls the north now and thus they'd accept it, only he wouldn't as there's Sansa.

For Jon to be legitimised a Targ someone would have to legitimise him, Dany is really the only one who would or could do that. But why would Jon ever want to be legitimised a Targ? It's just not going to happen.

As to ending shot I doubt we'll see much if at all of Jon/Sansa side. Probably a scene of the aftermath with Jon talking to wildlings and littlefinger saying what he wants in return.

Dany getting on a boat to westeros could be done before the ending shot.

Arya getting to Westeros as well, could be a nice opening scene.

Then we have the whole trial in King's Landing. Someone has to die in this whole area. I wouldn't mind a final scene of Bran/Butter fingers seeing the ice zombies crossing the wall.

If Jon had a choice, I think he would choose to be legitimized as a Stark. Ultimitely that is what I see happening.

Considering Dani at the end of the day wants peace, i can see him swearing loyalty to her. He seems to care about Starks too much to just switch families.

grandjedi6

Would Jon's lineage actually matter, if he is able to claim Winterfell by victory instead of birthrights?

His army seemed to consist mostly of men that weren't fighting for the Stark name, but Jon himself (as well as survival againt Ramsey). Jon didn't really want to fight for Winterfell, mostly to save his Brother and keep themselves safe from a madman making demands of them.

If you count that the victory was won by The Vale, then really, you could say that Robin Arryn/LF and the Vale now own the North. Sansa's best hope is for LF to bequeath Winterfell to her, after winning it with his army.
Nothing's really stopping Sansa from claiming Winterfell now. She has the better claim and the better army. But I expect she'll decline to do so in tomorrow's episode. And Arya or Bran could always appear and claim Winterfell, but they wouldn't. So Jon's claim is pretty secure in the show, though I expect the plot to push him onto bigger things pretty soon.

Littlefinger on the show won't care much about taking Winterfell. Having the loyalty of the North via Jon and being able to manipulate one of the last remaining Starks AND one of the last remaining Targs will be far more valuable to him than taking the Northern throne in name only. I'm sure he'll be more interested in marrying Sansa and getting Winterfell via her.

As for Jon, once LF finds out he's a secret Targ, he'll probably try to use Jon to claim the Iron Throne. If Jon wins, then LF will be able to inherit the Iron Throne once Jon has an untimely death. And if Jon loses, he inherits Winterfell. Win-win for Littlefinger.

GRRM was already happy with having incest with one brother/sister, why not end it on incest with an aunt/nephew lol
You think people would've learned after Joffery and the Mad King, but nope!

You think people would've learned after Joffery and the Mad King, but nope!

To be fair, despite direct brother-sister incest being so prevalent the Targaryans did pretty well until the Mad King. Three hundred years until a total nutcase is petty damn impressive. In real life, so much incest would've produced a Charles II type deformity in only a couple generations, and if SOMEHOW they kept inbreeding it would've only gotten worse from there.

KahooTs

As for Jon, once LF finds out he's a secret Targ, he'll probably try to use Jon to claim the Iron Throne. If Jon wins, then LF will be able to inherit the Iron Throne once Jon has an untimely death. And if Jon loses, he inherits Winterfell. Win-win for Littlefinger.

That's a good point. LF might end up pushing Jon is a Targ angle and get behind him in hopes of making Jon king and being the man behind him pulling the strings. Sansa rules the north, LF jumps onto the Jon train. Problem being Jon won't do his bidding and Davos is in the position of influence over Jon that LF would want, so LF has to start manoeuvring to get himself in close and make it happen.

To be fair, despite direct brother-sister incest being so prevalent the Targaryans did pretty well until the Mad King. Three hundred years until a total nutcase is petty damn impressive. In real life, so much incest would've produced a Charles II type deformity in only a couple generations, and if SOMEHOW they kept inbreeding it would've only gotten worse from there.

Also Jon's genes are mixed with Stark. That's like kinky for Targaryens.
That's a good point. LF might end up pushing Jon is a Targ angle and get behind him in hopes of making Jon king and being the man behind him pulling the strings. Sansa rules the north, LF jumps onto the Jon train. Problem being Jon won't do his bidding and Davos is in the position of influence over Jon that LF would want, so LF has to start manoeuvring to get himself in close and make it happen.

I shit you not

Davos dies and I fucking riot. That man is a national treasure

Black_Sun

Starks are down to 1 male and 2 daughters, with the male probably having a destiny way beyond furthering his house.
Tyrell's could literally be an elderly woman
The Martell's are gone, except for Oberyn's daughters
Tully's might only be Edmure, with an offscreen heir, both are hostages
Robert Arryn is all that's left, and he's got to be doomed under LF.
Lannister's are going fast, Tyrion seems to be in a safe position, while Jaime and Cersei are in precarious spots (KL and The Twins). The only extended family shown are also stuck in the KL danger (Kevan/Lancel)
Baratheon's are gone.
There are a shitload of Frey's, so it all depends on what/if anything happens.
Greyjoy's might be ok, but they're crazy. Theon's a dead end.
Technically* the Targaryen's are extinct, as Dany cannot have kids anymore.

*=R+L=J

Olenna isn't even a Tyrell anymore than Marge is a Baratheon. Olenna is a Redwyne

Black_Sun

To be fair the Targayens did do a lot of outbreeding after Aegon IV. Daenerys at this point is only like one tenth Valryian. She has 5 times more Blackwood blood than Valyrian blood. She's 50 % Blackwood and only one tenth Valyrian.

And no that's not true. The Targs have had several nutjobs. Aerion Brightflame was as bad as Aerys II. Good thing he killed himself off before he could inherit.

And a lot of the times, the deformed Targs die before they can grow up.

Anyways the brother-sister marriages are inspired by the Ptolemys who did the same for a similar number of generations as the Hapsburgs but worse since it really was between brother and sister a lot of the time. Cleopatra who Daenerys was inspired by came at the tail end of generations worth of incest.

And she was intelligent, alluring and is widely known as one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Continued incest for generations doesn't guarantee Charles II-like deformities. It only makes it likelier and likelier.

And well the Targs can barely breed each other now. Aerys had like 15 kids with Rhaella and only came out healthy and one turned into a lunatic. The other 12 were deformed.

She even has a kid with Julius Caesar before she gets off'd along with her kid. Jon got Caesar's last season. Could mean something, could mean nothing just saying.

Cersei is basically Bizzaro Ramsay at this point. What ever devious plot she's concocting is going to go terribly wrong and end up having the exact opposite effect of her goals.

In other words, R.I.P Tommen and all hail King Sparrow!

dabig2

to be legitimized doesn't it have to be recognized by King's Landing?

If the North remains apart of the 7 kingdoms then yeah, they'll need the Iron Throne's authorization. Otherwise the King of the North can do whatever he wants, as Robb did when he (probably) legitimized Jon. So Sansa can legitimize Jon if she gets crowned Queen of the North as I'm pretty sure the North is going to claim independence again with all the fuckery going down South (and the fact that Sansa is still a wanted woman).

I always thought it was peculiar how the Targ incest relationships in ASoIaF seemed to provide all these otherworldly beauties and whatnot. Seems like the only downside was the occasional madness, and it's not like that is special to the Targs. The Valyrian people should have seen a lot more monstrous deformities, but instead they got the most beautiful looks and magic dragon control powers for thousands of years lol.

Black_Sun

No it only has to be recognized by a king that you're the subject of. Like Stannis could legitimize Jon as his subject and he wasn't king of KL.

In the books most northerners considers Robb their king still so they would have no problem supporting him as Jon Stark and King in the North.

I'm sure the south would consider Jon a bastard still.

I suspect the show will have Sansa legitimizing him for his efforts and the Northeners acclaiming him King in the North afterwards but we'll see.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Has to be recognized by whoever is in charge I imagine.

1. Jon is legitimized just by getting a Dragon and everyone's like "OK, you're legitimized, please don't burn us!"

2. Some power broker in Kings Landing. Maybe Ned's old BFF who's controlling just about everything there, legitimizes him as he was there and knows.

No it only has to be recognized by a king that you're the subject of. Like Stannis could legitimize Jon as his subject and he wasn't king of KL.

In the books most northerners considers Robb their king still so they would have no problem supporting him as Jon Stark and King in the North.

I'm sure the south would consider Jon a bastard still.

I suspect the show will have Sansa legitimizing him for his efforts and the Northeners acclaiming him King in the North afterwards but we'll see.

I wouldn't mind an independent North. But it seems so many people turned tail when Boltons took charge and refused to support Jon and Sansa because of Wildlings. So I don't know what that says of whether they'll support them now.

And during the battle there was that specific conversation over how they were following Jon specifically because he isn't a king. It'd be funny if they now made him one so hopefully they just have the North become independent and have someone else become the leader lie Sansa. Jon can't afford staying to rule the North anyways, he needs to focus on the popsicles. Also on doing something so his sword catches fire. Like killing Melissandre

Black_Sun

If the North remains apart of the 7 kingdoms then yeah, they'll need the Iron Throne's authorization. Otherwise the King of the North can do whatever he wants, as Robb did when he (probably) legitimized Jon. So Sansa can legitimize Jon if she gets crowned Queen of the North as I'm pretty sure the North is going to claim independence again with all the fuckery going down South (and the fact that Sansa is still a wanted woman).

I always thought it was peculiar how the Targ incest relationships in ASoIaF seemed to provide all these otherworldly beauties and whatnot. Seems like the only downside was the occasional madness, and it's not like that is special to the Targs. The Valyrian people should have seen a lot more monstrous deformities, but instead they got the most beautiful looks and magic dragon control powers for thousands of years lol.

Well most Valyrians didn't practice incest just the dragonlords.

But it's implied that they way the look is a result of magic. They likely do have some magic dragon dna that's been magicked into them.

The Durrandons and Baratheons are also similar in a sense. They're all literally descended from the Storm God which could be why they all have black hair and blue eyes

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wouldn't mind an independent North. But it seems so many people turned tail when Boltons took charge and refused to support Jon and Sansa because of Wildlings. So I don't know what that says of whether they'll support them now.

And during the battle there was that specific conversation over how they were following Jon specifically because he isn't a king. It'd be funny if they now made him one so hopefully they just have the North become independent and have someone else become the leader lie Sansa. Jon can't afford staying to rule the North anyways, he needs to focus on the popsicles. Also on doing something so his sword catches fire. Like killing Melissandre

Well, no one really cares about the North. Had Robb not wanted to take the Riverlands with him, King's Landing might have just let him go.

As for the North and the Wildlings, I imagine the North might open up to them once the White Walkers become a bit more public.

Well, no one really cares about the North. Had Robb not wanted to take the Riverlands with him, King's Landing might have just let him go.

As for the North and the Wildlings, I imagine the North might open up to them once the White Walkers become a bit more public.

As long as that mean stare little girl who was with Jon fights alongside them all is right.

Black_Sun

Well see if Jon becomes King in the North in the books which I think he does, he'll become King in the North in the show. GRRM's been setting the ground for it since book 1 by keeping Jon away from the main action, killing off Robb, Robb's will, Northerners loving the Starks, making Bran, Arya and Rickon disappear and then marrying Sansa off to Tyrion.

I mean it would feel a little forced in the show because Jon is a dullard in the show. He has no charisma and is a poor general according to Kit Harrington. And Show Jon has been consistently portrayed as a good warrior but not a good leader nor particularly bright. Maybe that's a bittersweet thing to do. Jon becomes King in the North but he's a very poor leader. The poor man's Robb Stark. Like a theme the show has consistently touched is that good warriors don't make good kings.

Black_Sun

Well that's not really true.

Renly wouldn't allow Robb to split from the 7 kingdoms and neither would Stannis so I can't see why Tywin would be okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom