• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, those are two different lines of succession.

The Boltons claim Winterfell, with Roose as lord and Ramsay as his heir.

The Starks also claim Winterfell. Bran is properly the lord/king/whatever, though absent, followed by Rickon, then Sansa, then Arya, then whichever distant relative comes next (it'd be some other descendant of Lord Beron Stark, going by the books).

If the Bolton line died out I think it would just revert back to the Stark family (for political reasons) that's the only reason I really included any Starks in there, but yeah they are technically separate lines.

Trasher

I was talking in book. In show she does seem to be completely immune to fire. My point was just that if fire immunity were to be involved in Jon's resurrection, it would mean that the method of resurrection is probably completely different show vs book.

Her hands were wrapped in the show after riding Drogon just like in the book. So maybe she can still be burned?

So melisandres necklace losing its glow when she takes it off. Thats totally fire power right? Thats got to be the tool she uses to resurrect Jon right?

fuzzyset

I was lurking in the No Books thread and saw a post mentioning Jon going vengeful and killing Olly (and probably all the other traitors). If he uses "Edd, fetch me a block" in zombie vengeful voice to kill Thorne and Olly, are D&D redeemed?

So melisandres necklace losing its glow when she takes it off. Thats totally fire power right? Thats got to be the tool she uses to resurrect Jon right?

Ish? People have pointed out that Thoros first rez'd Berric when he had lost all hope / faith in the Red God, so this is likely her low point before she just "says the words" and Rhollor does its thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a flashback to the scene in the pre-episode recap the ep Jon gets rez'd.

Moff

I was lurking in the No Books thread and saw a post mentioning Jon going vengeful and killing Olly (and probably all the other traitors). If he uses "Edd, fetch me a block" in zombie vengeful voice to kill Thorne and Olly, are D&D redeemed?

I'd say the wildlings annihilate the whole nightswatch before jon is resurrected
but I do hope he is a bit changed after that, hardened so to say

mantidor

Wait isn't Winterfell destroyed? The Boltons are the Lords of the North as Tommen declared but they are still ruling in Dreadfort. I think only the 'capital' of the North was transfered from Winterfell to Dreadfort, but the Starks are still lords of Winterfell but now vassals. At least that's what I get from the books.

In the show the Boltons rebuilt Winterfell and are ruling from there.

Amirnol

I'm usually a huge fan of the show, but this might be the worst episode of the series so far. In particular, the Dornish plotline is now a permanent shit stain on the show's legacy. As a season opener, what the fuck were they thinking?!

Eww, no. Characters murdering little kids for 'awesome badass revenge' is never a good thing, and it's that mentality (that D&D share) that's led to the show having the issues it does now.

Ish? People have pointed out that Thoros first rez'd Berric when he had lost all hope / faith in the Red God, so this is likely her low point before she just "says the words" and Rhollor does its thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a flashback to the scene in the pre-episode recap the ep Jon gets rez'd.

Oh shit I totally forgot about that. I had assumed it was just to illustrate that upon losing faith she was willing to give the rest of her life to try one more time but what youre saying tracks a little closer

Paganmoon

Current Winterfell line of succession:

Roose - current Lord
Ramsey
baby Roose
(Bran)
Rickon
Sansa
(Arya)
The KarStarks

Boltons have no proper claim of Winterfell, if one of the true Starks male heirs would reveal themselves it would revert back to them, of course there would be a power struggle, but the true line of succession for Winterfell does not contain any Boltons, considering there are Starks alive.

Paganmoon

Thinking some more on it, there are several ways for Jon to come back.

Mel/Lord of Light resurrection
Mel/Glamour spell (why though?)
He becomes a White Walker
He becomes a Wight.

Now the Wight idea, we know the dead have come back even on this side of the wall (though only if killed by the WW on the other side but lets just handwave that), so lets say his body re-animates. Wouldn't be Jon though would it? But wait! lets refer back to prologue of aDwD, there's precedence to Warging into an animal as you are dying. So lets say Jon has warged into Ghost (common fan theory as is). Now we know Bran has warged into Hodor, so there's precedence to warging into humanoids with a lesser mental capacity, so to say.

So Jon dies.
Wargs into Ghost, becomes WargJon
Jon's body reanimates, becomes UnJon.
WargJon sees UnJon, Wargs into UnJon
Jon is now WargUnJon!

Hey... What if that's how Coldhands became what he became?

ryseing

Anyone else watch the "After the Thrones" show on HBO? I'm watching it now and I can't believe someone from HBO didn't pull Chris aside and tell him that Cersei isn't pronounced "Sir-Z." Also feels like way too much of them getting jokes off and not really discussing the show. First episode so I'm sure they'll get better.

That's how that crew is. Something something sex pirates. Only serious discussion comes with Jason + Mal.

Speaking of which, Jason's newsletter today was great.

Trasher

Couldn't help but think about the AHS maid when Melisandre's true form was revealed.

kgKXfba.png

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Normally I rewatch the episode several times during the week but damn this was so bad I want to forget about it.

Worst show ever, seriously what a mess.

This is complete hyperbole...let's break down the episode again for the millionth time to show why it is not the worst show ever.

The Wall: The show goes right where we left off, with Davos protecting Jon Snow's body from the mutineers, sending Edd off to get the wildlings (will there be a second battle at the Wall? Will there be no more Night's Watch), Davos believes in Melisandre for once (this is unusual for Davos, and way out of character for him...or a possible change/development), Melisandre is revealed to be old as dirt.

King's Landing: Cersei as a character has changed, instead of a vengeful woman, she is overcome with grief and has basically accepted that Tommen will die too, Jamie has not, and is basically vowing to protect Tommen now at all costs. He wants revenge. Margaery's scene is reminder of her brother being imprisoned, why she is in prison and the possibility of her character changing into something more holy, instead of being scheming?

Winterfell: Set's up Ramsay and Roose to be in verbal conflict this season. Theon and Sansa meet up with Brienne and Sansa finally accepts her help. It is a converging of a storyline while being coincidental.

Dorne: Doran in the show is different than Doran in the books. He might actually be a weak old man in the show. People are obviously upset about Oberyn's death, and although it's clearly Oberyn's fault, maybe the country people are just upset about the Lannister's basically killing another member of the Royal Dornish family, and want revenge. Trystane's scene might be the only bad one in the episode...it's not difficult to infer to that the Sand Snakes would hop on board the ship and kill him...maybe they could have shown how though. This storyline could go many different ways, so it is difficult to speculate what could happen next.

Meereen: Tyrion's and Vary's conversation was really bad, and could have been removed entirely, as well as being the low moment of the episode. All it does is re-establish people are upset at Dany and that she now does not have a fleet of ships, which pretty much means that war is probably coming to Meereen. The most interesting thing about this portion is that it the red priests have spread to Meereen. Jorah and Darrio now know that the Dorthaki have her...although very coincidental, and it reestablishes Jorah has greyscale. Dany is not being recongnized as the former Khaleesi she once was. The dialogue is annoying, but not unexpected. Dany is not backing down for one, and after taking some convincing...treated more gently. It is also establishd she is being taken back to Vaes Dothrak...obviously she will not stay there, but it shows that she will probably get a large army after she returns to Meereen to attack Westeros, making her the last antagonist of the series.

Bravvos: a re-establishing of Arya being blind, and the she will have to learn to fight blind in order for her vision to be restored and her training to get back on track...she is still with the House of Black & White.

It is a season opener...it re-establishes where the characters are, along with pushing the narrative and several places. The writing for what it is worth, is only bad in a couple of places. That along with Ramsay's dog's disappearing, the coincidences of Brienne and Jorah, and the jumping of two of the Sand Snakes on Trystane's boat are pretty much the only negative parts of this episode. You do not have to like the Sand Snakes, but their characters are well within their part, and they set up an interesting narrative.

King's Landing: Cersei as a character has changed, instead of a vengeful woman, she is overcome with grief and has basically accepted that Tommen will die too, Jamie has not, and is basically vowing to protect Tommen now at all costs. He wants revenge.
This scene was a horrible reminder of just how badly D&D have wrecked Jaime on the show. His 'us against the world' rhetoric is that of the same Jaime who pushed a boy out a window in the very first episode. They have totally hit the reset switch and threw away every bit of character development so far.
That combined with D&D's comments about how they thought Jaime was still the kind of guy who would rape Cersei shows they either didn't understand Jaime's development in the books or they simply never had any intention to portray it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This scene was a horrible reminder of just how badly D&D have wrecked Jaime on the show. His 'us against the world' rhetoric is that of the same Jaime who pushed a boy out a window in the very first episode. They have totally hit the reset switch and threw away every bit of character development so far.
That combined with D&D's comments about how they thought Jaime was still the kind of guy who would rape Cersei shows they either didn't understand Jaime's development in the books or they simply never had any intention to portray it.

Eh...his character has developed differently than it has in the books. There's also still a chance for that to change. Remember one of the the things Cersei has been accused for is sleeping with Lancel...that's the major thing that made Jamie turn.

News Bot

Banned
Eh...his character has developed differently than it has in the books. There's also still a chance for that to change. Remember one of the the things Cersei has been accused for is sleeping with Lancel...that's the major thing that made Jamie turn.

High Sparrow will probably slip him that info, instead of Tyrion.

You're the one who used "awesome or badass".

Yes, I did.

I said that the idea of Jon coming back and murdering Olly somehow redeeming D&D, and the idea that murdering children for revenge is somehow desirable is a horrible idea. To frame Jon murdering a kid in the same manner as his much loved 'awesome' moment from the books is a horrible idea.

I don't know where Joff comes into this? Nobody looks good when Joff dies, morally speaking.

Works for me! Something has to make him give up on the King's Landing bullshit and head off to the Riverlands, and I bet it's this. His "us against the world" dialog then gets to look tragic and ironic in hindsight.

There are 2 scenes I can think of though coming up where he's still in kings landing, so I feel like that won't be happening.

It'd be nice if when he said "the gods have spilled more blood than all of us" that he told Jamie about lancel, but we also know Jamie will have a tyrell host later on??

fuzzyset

Yes, I did.

I said that the idea of Jon coming back and murdering Olly somehow redeeming D&D, and the idea that murdering children for revenge is somehow desirable is a horrible idea. To frame Jon murdering a kid in the same manner as his much loved 'awesome' moment from the books is a horrible idea.

Olly is sworn brother of the Night's Watch. You lose your head for breaking those vows. It's like the 3rd thing we're shown in the show. I meant redeemed as in finally using the "Edd fetch me a block" line which was disappointingly absent when Janos was executed.

fantomena

ToJ and resurrection in episode 3 then? That's about the time frame I guessed for the resurrection, but I thought they would hold ToJ for a while after that. They must need to get Bran out of that cave fast.

That would also mean "Oathbreaker" could be a reference to Lyanna's "Promise me".

Another tweet from him:

"@cydott actually if you look super closely at the man in the iron mask on the right..."
https://twitter.com/luke_j_roberts/status/724301731530682368

Brakke

Banned
Yes, I did.

I don't know where Joff comes into this? Nobody looks good when Joff dies, morally speaking.

Your idea that killing Janos was "awesome" is sort of suspect. It was "good", people liked it surely. It was more "satisfying" for me than it was "awesome". I bring up Joff to show that killing selfish, prick children in a way that people will find "satisfying" or generally "good" is the sort of thing that's a hallmark of the series. It wouldn't be some wild out-of-left-field, D&D-misunderstanding-the-books thing to do. In any case, litigating D&D for things they ~haven't~ done is a silly thing for us to be doing, lol.

Iksenpets

Banned
that would be my guess as well if that actor from the tower of joy scene says he is in 3, it makes sense to resurrect jon after that

Episode 3 is going to be quite the emotional roller coaster if
we go from Ramsay getting Rickon to Tower of Joy to Jon's resurrection all back to back to back.

What if
Jon's parentage is revealed before the resurrection? And maybe that is why Bloodraven has that line "The past is already written, the ink is dry". Sort of like "oh sh*t, that's the saviour and he's alrsady dead. We're doomed." Not that anyone would fall for it, but just a thought. It would be awesome if we got both the resurrection and the parentage reveal in the same episode. I'd rather they didn't drag it out.

Amirnol

Dorne: Doran in the show is different than Doran in the books. He might actually be a weak old man in the show. People are obviously upset about Oberyn's death, and although it's clearly Oberyn's fault, maybe the country people are just upset about the Lannister's basically killing another member of the Royal Dornish family, and want revenge. Trystane's scene might be the only bad one in the episode...it's not difficult to infer to that the Sand Snakes would hop on board the ship and kill him...maybe they could have shown how though. This storyline could go many different ways, so it is difficult to speculate what could happen next.
So getting revenge for a Royal dying involves murdering his innocent brother and nephew, the only remaining members of the Royal family, and effectively ending the Martell line? I'm sure this is what Oberyn would've wanted, for his woman to murder his family...

I love the show but this shit was contrived beyond belief.

Gigglepoo

So getting revenge for a Royal dying involves murdering his innocent brother and nephew, the only remaining members of the Royal family, and effectively ending the Martell line? I'm sure this is what Oberyn would've wanted, for his woman to murder his family...

I love the show but this shit was contrived beyond belief.

It's not "effective ending" it's literally ending. There are no more Martells. Quentyn and Arrianne don't exist in the show. Oberyn, Doran, and Tristain were killed. That's it. That's the Martell line. There are only Sands now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom