• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

Why did anyone ever think that
Tyrion is a secret Targ?

The mad King had a fondness for a certain Westerner lady. There is more stuff, but it's mostly especulation except for that.

I read that Jon is dead the returned being will be Bran theory and I don't buy it. The evidence seems thin and not even George has the balls to do that. Bran will warg into Hodor and he will be the mysterious Knight mark 7.0 (because one can't have enough mystery knights)

The mad King had a fondness for a certain Westerner lady. There is more stuff, but it's mostly especulation except for that.

I read that Jon is dead the returned being will be Bran theory and I don't buy it. The evidence seems thin and not even George has the balls to do that. Bran will warg into Hodor and he will be the mysterious Knight mark 7.0 (because one can't have enough mystery knights)

Also, you can only warg into living things, right? I don't think wargs have the ability to raise the dead a la Others.

mr.beers

How is this season for book readers? Should I be worried about watching in fear that it might contain spoilers about TWoW and future books? I'm sure it been asked a lot sorry for the annoyance.

Kain

Also, you can only warg into living things, right? I don't think wargs have the ability to raise the dead a la Others.

The theory works on the grounds that the ressurrections thus far are fake events orchestrated by Bloodraven and are in fact possessions (or wargings) by him. It says that the old gods are doing the ressurrecting job while he takes control of the more or less empty husks. Drogo for example was revived but no one took control of him so he was a vegetable.

The theory works on the grounds that the ressurrections thus far are fake events orchestrated by Bloodraven and are in fact possessions (or wargings) by him. It says that the old gods are doing the ressurrecting job while he takes control of the more or less empty husks. Drogo for example was revived but no one took control of him so he was a vegetable.

Ah, okay. Old gods are "resurrecting" (sounds more like reanimating), interesting. I hadn't heard that theory.

suzu

How is this season for book readers? Should I be worried about watching in fear that it might contain spoilers about TWoW and future books? I'm sure it been asked a lot sorry for the annoyance.

Well, D&D know in broad strokes about how the whole story will go down. Some things are going to be different of course, but if you're worried about general plot spoilers then I suppose you should avoid watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wonder what kind of accent they'll give Euron.

He's not British, Scottish, or Irish but he also doesn't need to speak like anyone in his family.

Make him American!

nIT1jqp.png

Gigglepoo

Ah, okay. Old gods are "resurrecting" (sounds more like reanimating), interesting. I hadn't heard that theory.

The similarity between Baric and Bloodraven is pretty stunning. Seems like a plausible theory, especially when you see how many time a younger brother had stepped in for his dead older brother and Bran's desire to be a hero and knight.

As someone who's put hundreds of hours into reading book theories and reading everything aSoIaF related I can find time for, I find this latest theory involving
Bran and Jon to be horrendous. Do you know how corny that would be? Bran has a purpose. He's going to give us flashbacks and insight into many things around Westeros including the white walkers. He will connect a lot of dots and exercise influence. If he was to spend the rest of his life warged into a single person to live his life vicariously, I'd be close to checking out. That's just bad. Not to mention it would dump all over all the focus on the Lord of Light and Red Priests just to throw in a last minute "gotcha!"
It's not happening.

If they don't resurrect the real Jon i will be really disappointed. Yes i know the show and the books love to subvert fantasy tropes (didn't GRRM hate Gandalf's resurection) but replacing Jon with a disguised brother or warged Bran would render all of Jon's character development and the mystery around his origins largely irrelevant.

Thaedolus

Why did anyone ever think that
Tyrion is a secret Targ?

Dreams of dragons, hints that Aerys took liberties with Joanna Lannister, sort of has the targ hair, his deformities could be a result of the incestuous targ gene pool, Tywin's alluded to him not being his son...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
while there are plenty of reasons not to like it, someone must really not have been paying attention if tyrion (and/or jaime and cersei) turning out to be a secret targ would come as surprise. only r+l=j has a clearer set-up.

but i'm not saying it will absolutely turn out to be true, just that martin has clearly set the stage for it.

Kalnos

Banned
How come Catlyn is a completely different character from Lady Stoneheart but Jon is going to basically be the same dude?

How is she a completely different character? She is just super fucked up from having her throat slit and being dumped in a river. In addition to the bloodlust anyway.

Nodnol

I'm such a spoiler whore. I want to be suprised, I want to go in fresh, but the blacked out text and links to elsewhere are such too tempting.

Sounds good though!

Not a massive fan on that theory posted a page back; as others have said, it kind of renders Jon's story void. It also retards Bran even further. Neither of them are treading their own stories anymore. I do like his discussion of the themes and parallels with real world and other fictional scenarios though, I do think that atleast in a thematic way, it'll be somewhat close to what he suggests. I just don't think Bran with warg Jon. Despite Jon's heritage, I've always subcribed to the idea that Jon is more northern than his siblings (cousins), and thus the First Men/Children of the Forest/weirwood.net is more important to him, and not through sacrificing who he is as a person.

Showaddy

How come Catlyn is a completely different character from Lady Stoneheart but Jon is going to basically be the same dude?

Cat died in much, much worse circumstances and was floating around in the river for god knows how long. Her sanity had already snapped before they even cut her throat as well; I mean she was tearing her own face apart with her fingernails before she died...

Gigglepoo

Cat died in much, much worse circumstances and was floating around in the river for god knows how long. Her sanity had already snapped before they even cut her throat.

And Beric? And The Mountain? It would be pretty weird to have three resurrected characters dramatically changed while Jon is the same dude as before. Why would resurrection change everyone but Jon? What's the point of killing Jon if the event doesn't change him?

Showaddy

And Beric? And The Mountain? It would be pretty weird to have three resurrected characters dramatically changed while Jon is the same dude as before. Why would resurrection change everyone but Jon? What's the point of killing Jon if the event doesn't change him?

Well the Mountain hasn't been resurrected as such, he's basically a reanimated corpse with no personality. If he'd been brought back Lord of Light style he'd probably be a lot closer to normal Gregor Clegane.

With Beric if there is any substantial personality change it's because he's been brought back so many times and he's degraded with each resurrection.

And George did it for teh lols. Was a terrible idea to end Dance like that.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

i wouldn't call beric's transformation "dramatic" when comparing it with catelyn's. especially since he was still sort of there after multiple resurrections.

the mountain was also clearly resurrected through very different means.

Gigglepoo

So why was Jon killed? Everyone else who was resurrected came back changed but Jon won't be changed? So what was the point of killing him?

Kazooie

Banned

In particular the Danerys chapter when Ser Barristan explained that Aerys liked Joanna... something just felt a bit out of place for me. Like something was going unsaid. I don't even think Tyrion is a Targ but that chapter added fuel to the fire.

FootballFan

As someone who's put hundreds of hours into reading book theories and reading everything aSoIaF related I can find time for, I find this latest theory involving
Bran and Jon to be horrendous. Do you know how corny that would be? Bran has a purpose. He's going to give us flashbacks and insight into many things around Westeros including the white walkers. He will connect a lot of dots and exercise influence. If he was to spend the rest of his life warged into a single person to live his life vicariously, I'd be close to checking out. That's just bad. Not to mention it would dump all over all the focus on the Lord of Light and Red Priests just to throw in a last minute "gotcha!"
It's not happening.

If Tyrion turns out to be a Targaryen I'll lose all kinds of respect for Martin.

That twist invalidates so much good writing, it would be a real slap in the face

Agreed 100%

Severance

I think Lady Stoneheart proves that you don't need Bloodraven or Bran to warg and bring someone back. There is no one else she can be except for Catelyn, although she has obviously changed. Bran becoming Jon would kill the story for me honestly. It defies all logic in my mind, you can't be two people at once. Bloodraven can't train Bran and prance around the Riverlands as Beric at the same time. Its a whack theory. GRRM needs to release Winds already haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom