• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why was Jon killed? Everyone else who was resurrected came back changed but Jon won't be changed? So what was the point of killing him?

You'd have to ask George, it's something he apparently planned nearly 20 years ago.

The plot insight to it is a possible release from his Night's Watch Vow.

Grief51

Banned
I just wanted to come in here and rant... I'm getting so sick of spoilers on the internet.

I was surfing on the internet and on telegraph.com they were spoiling one of the things happening in this episode. Like WTF? Tonights episode hasn't even come out yet
and newspapers are already dropping spoilers.

I guess I will be forced to go on total media blackdown on sundays going forward :(

dabig2

How come Catlyn is a completely different character from Lady Stoneheart but Jon is going to basically be the same dude?

You're forgetting that he's a warg. His resurrection was always going to be him transferring his full consciousness to Ghost and then transferring from Ghost to his resurrected body before he loses himself inside Ghost. Skinchangers/wargs have a Second Life cheat code that other characters don't have. Their full memories and consciousness can live on in animals for a time before they start degrading.

And that goes to say that Jon will be changed. He will never forget his death and the scars will probably still be there.

That Jon is Bran's puppet theory is one of the stupidest fan theory's I've ever read.

How come Catlyn is a completely different character from Lady Stoneheart but Jon is going to basically be the same dude?

Except she isn't.

Her entire family's dead (as far as she knows). In her mind she has nothing to live for but vengeance. The entire book series gives us hunts as to what was lying underneath the surface and what would happen if she snapped.

Kozak

Banned
I just wanted to come in here and rant... I'm getting so sick of spoilers on the internet.

I was surfing on the internet and on telegraph.com they were spoiling one of the things happening in this episode. Like WTF? Tonights episode hasn't even come out yet
and newspapers are already dropping spoilers.

I guess I will be forced to go on total media blackdown on sundays going forward :(

Just avoid trash news sites.

Everything in here is at best an educated guess so I just stick here.

Gigglepoo

Except she isn't.

Her entire family's dead (as far as she knows). In her mind she has nothing to live for but vengeance. The entire book series gives us hunts as to what was lying underneath the surface and what would happen if she snapped.

She is different:

George R. R. Martin said:
“Lady Stoneheart is not Cateyln. I’ve tried to set it up beforehand with Beric Dondarrion and his repeated [resurrections],” he says. “There’s a brief appearance by Beric in [‘Game of Thrones’] and he rides into the city and he’s this flamboyant Southern knight. That’s not that man we meet later on.”

One of the things I wanted to show with her is that the death she suffered changes you.”

Hey folks, for future reference, discussion of leaks like this are no go in the thread. Particularly when it's a specific breakdown of most plot points from an upcoming episode. There are plenty of other places on the internet where you can dig into discussion on this sort of thing. As always, if you have questions or comments, please send me a PM. Thanks.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
She is different:
If she wasn't actually murdered and was instead just left for dead do you think she would be the Cat of old or would she be like LSH? The experience she suffered right before her death is what made her LSH.

Brakke

Banned
Tyrion Targaryen was always a dumb idea. The Tyrion-Tywin relationship is so good if Tyrion's his son. People just want Tyrion to ride a dragon because they like him, but Tyrion's story is about influence, not power. He doesn't belong on a dragon.

I can see Jaime and Cersei are Targaryens. They actually make sense dramatically. The gods flipped a coin and made one mad and one noble. The incest thing is a Targaryen kind of move, they even use that precedent to justify their relationship. Plus Tywin deserves to have been wrong about Jaime his whole life.

She is different:

If that was his intent he's done a pretty poor job of executing on it. It's just as reasonable to read Dondarion as having changed because he's fighting a guerilla war against savage motherfuckers. Likewise Catelyn. Makes sense for LSH to be different than Catelyn because LSH saw her heir betrayed and murdered in front of her. Catelyn is done being Catelyn *before* she's even murdered. I always figured any hardening of hearts, so to speak, those two experienced made sense from the perspective of the events they've experienced after dying as much as from the process of resurrection.

Gigglepoo

If she wasn't actually murdered and was instead just left for dead do you think she would be the Cat of old or would she be like LSH? The experience she suffered right before her death is what made her LSH.

But Beric...? I feel like we're going in circles. Martin has definitively said that LSH and Beric are different from their former selves. Therefore, it makes sense that Jon issuing to be different as well or there wouldn't be a narrative reason to kill him. Killing him to get him out of his vows is overkill (zing!) and would be a really weak reason to do something so dramatic.

El Jaffe

Catelynn lost her mind right before she was murdered, and the trauma of being murdered and coming back IS a factor, but I don't think she's a different person. The description of Berric Dondarrion being the flamboyant knight of spring before the huge war and becoming the man he is now is kind of a standard war trope, with his constant traumatic deaths just adding to it. I'm of course not saying Martin is wrong, but I feel like it's presented this way.

Kozak

Banned
But Beric...? I feel like we're going in circles. Martin has definitively said that LSH and Beric are different from their former selves. Therefore, it makes sense that Jon is different as well or there wouldn't be a narrative reason to kill him. Killing him to get him out of his vows is overkill (zing!) and would be a really weak reason to do something so dramatic.

I never got the impression that it was the magic of resurrection that changed them.

More so the memory of their death, the repeated deaths following the first, coming back to life after experiencing a bloody and excruciating death etc.

I suspect Jon just comes back even harder than before.

Apt101

LSH was dead for days before being resurrected. That might have something to do with her being ever more remote from herself than Berric. Thoros always rezzed Berric almost immediately after he died.

Gigglepoo

One thing that "Bran will warg Jon" theory definitely got right is how optimistic people's Jon's theories always are. Things always turn out for the best in A Song of Ice and Fire, right?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
One thing that "Bran will warg Jon" theory definitely got right is how optimistic people's Jon's theories always are. Things always turn out for the best in A Song of Ice and Fire, right?
That's why we know he'll be perfectly fine, because it hasn't happened to other people. :p

Brakke

Banned
I never got the impression that it was the magic of resurrection that changed them.

More so the memory of their death, the repeated deaths following the first, coming back to life after experiencing a bloody and excruciating death etc.

I suspect Jon just comes back even harder than before.

Yep. Not to mention the fact that getting killed requires experiencing (and probably inflecting) some intense violence with a hated foe. Dondarion's hardening can be as much regular-ass PTSD as magic.

Apt101

Berric: what's the diagnosis maester? Something....

Maester: oh no ser nothing magical, this is just regular-ass PTSD.

Seriously though, I take the author at his word - I mean, he wrote it. The loss of self and a transformation is just one of the costs of resurrection.

Gigglepoo

What an author intends and what is actually presented can be two very different things.

Beric has no memory of his past and had a completely different personality. There's no doubt that he's changed. George cleared up that the reason was resurrection, not war. Though that should be clear considering no other characters have forgotten their past and have completely different personalities.

Yep. Not to mention the fact that getting killed requires experiencing (and probably inflecting) some intense violence with a hated foe. Dondarion's hardening can be as much regular-ass PTSD as magic.

PTSD doesn't make you forget your past.

Beric has no memory of his past and had a completely different personality. There's no doubt that he's changed. George cleared up that the reason was resurrection, not war. Though that should be clear considering no other characters have forgotten their past and have completely different personalities.

PTSD doesn't make you forget your past.

Um, yes it does. Thats one of the MAIN symptoms.

Please bring him back to life. . please.

evanescence-fallen-frontal-jpg.jpg

Grief51

Banned
Only 4 minutes to go.

My gut tells me Jon is not going to be revived tonight. I got a feeling HBO will keep the suspense going.
I want my Jon back Goddamnit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom