• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosichu

A bit of an aside, but just one thing I think the show has done very well:

Game of Thrones is an amazing show that gives as an insight into a fantastical world through the lens of our own historical eras. It has amazingly deep and fleshed out characters, with their own beliefs, wants, fears and political standpoints that really belong in that world. However, it also has a character that can ground us. Someone that represents the viewer in that world, someone who's shoes we can put ourselves into. They are a bit rebellious, but also cares what their parentage thinks of them. They look after their pets, ensuring they are well fed. They have had a rough childhood but have endured it, and while succeeding haven't reached unimaginable heights either. They take the actions, we the viewer, would take in their position. Keeping audiences across the globe in sync, united behind this character. Let's raise a glass to him.

Ramsay Snow, the true everyman of Westeros.

The evidence of their being any particular specific god just as strong as it is in the real world for any particular god or lack of one. That's the point.

Thoros brought Beric back without, iirc, doing any particular "magic" ritual or anything (unlike Melisandre in the show with Jon). Why would Beric have come back to life if there were no Red God, given the fact that no "spell" was cast to explain it away with generic magic?

I don't think Quaithe prophesied anything in the show, though it is interesting that she talked to Jorah about preparing a man to face the Doom in Valyria, given what eventually happened to him.

They still need to resolve Mel's prophesy that she'd meet Arya again. Don't know how or when that will happen.
Good point about Mel. I also didn't think about Quaithe with respect to Jorah's fate.
ChBUXJrVEAAooPB.jpg

Some say land is a myth. I've seen it.
Heh.

Kain

Random thoughts: Blackfyres were right and fAegon is cool. Daemon Blackfyre and Bittersteel were right. It is known.

Apt101

I bet the flaming sword of Azor Ahai is an analogy, and it turns out to be Melisandre - who gets full-on wizard powers soon, but only lives long enough to help defeat most of the white walkers. Nissa Nissa was his own life, his own heart.

Massa

One more question for the thread: are there any prophecies introduced on the show that haven't been resolved yet? They certainly haven't leaned on these as heavily as the books, and I can't remember too many that have been introduced aside from Maggie the Frog. Speaking of which, iirc, they don't include 'the valonqar' in the show version, right? I think the only bit that's unresolved with that prophecy is that Tommen is still alive and he's supposed to die before Cersei, gold shroud and all.

I'm also forgetting if Quaithe had anything of import to say on the show, or if she was mostly giving vague hints to Jorah when she showed up. Wonder if we'll see her again or if they're just dropping that at this point. Not sure if there's much point to revisiting her in the end.

Right, I think it was handled reasonably well in Ep 2, but it proceeded exactly as one might have guessed. There wasn't much drama to seeing it on screen the way it unfolded.

Dany at the Wall, from the House of the Undying?

HAWDOKEN

But there is also a lot of 'evidence' that the Old Gods exist. They only consistency is the fact that this is a world with magic. The evidence of their being any particular specific god just as strong as it is in the real world for any particular god or lack of one. That's the point.
I'm not sure I understand the point you are making here. On the other hand, why did you put "evidence" in quotes? Is there anything to the contrary of that evidence? The fact that you imply doubt on the evidence makes my point. If evidence doesn't constitute proof, then what does?

On another note, I thought the Jon revival was lame. I think it would have been cool if they put his body on the pyre and after the flames went out, his body wasn't burnt and Mel's prayers during the ceremony revived him. It would be a callback to Dany's rebirth with the dragons where Jon is being reborn as a dragon.

One prophesy that hasn't been resolved on the show is from the Ghost of Highheart(?)'s dream of a girl killing a giant in the snow (I'm butchering it I know) or something like that.

Moosichu

Thoros brought Beric back without, iirc, doing any particular "magic" ritual or anything (unlike Melisandre in the show with Jon). Why would Beric have come back to life if there were no Red God, given the fact that no "spell" was cast to explain it away with generic magic?

But Thoros always did the same thing to bring Beric back? How do you not know it was just those sequence of actions that did it? He prayed to the Lord of Light to do it, yes. But did he test the actions that he took? Did he trying saying other names, praying to other gods to see if the same effect was achieved? Theon also heard a weirwood whisper to him when he prayed to the Old Gods, we know now that it was Bran that was responsible for that, but without that knowledge you could make the same argument, that the Old Gods really exist.

I can see Manderlys planning something, but it's not looking good for Umber truthers.

I suppose I should go ahead and make peace with Ramsay capturing Rickon. It doesn't make any sense from a logical storytelling standpoint, but the show has never been overly concerned with logical consistency.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dany at the Wall, from the House of the Undying?
I think she just saw the wall, not that she would go there. But that same scene has the Kings Landing destroyed and covered in snow, which is interesting.

Of course that scene was created by magic to trick Dany and involved alternate universe stuff like Khal Drogo being alive so I'm not sure any of it will ever happen.

But Thoros always did the same thing to bring Beric back? How do you not know it was just those sequence of actions that did it? He prayed to the Lord of Light to do it, yes. But did he test the actions that he took? Did he trying saying other names, praying to other gods to see if the same effect was achieved? Theon also heard a weirwood whisper to him when he prayed to the Old Gods, we know now that it was Bran that was responsible for that, but without that knowledge you could make the same argument, that the Old Gods really exist.

I think it's safe to say that other would-be wizards and other priests of other faiths have, at some time, prayed to resurrect somebody. But only those praying to the Red God have apparently been successful.

Moosichu

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making here. On the other hand, why did you put "evidence" in quotes? Is there anything to the contrary of that evidence? The fact that you imply doubt on the evidence makes my point. If evidence doesn't constitute proof, then what does?

On another note, I thought the Jon revival was lame. I think it would have been cool if they put his body on the pyre and after the flames went out, his body wasn't burnt and Mel's prayers during the ceremony revived him. It would be a callback to Dany's rebirth with the dragons where Jon is being reborn as a dragon.

One prophesy that hasn't been resolved on the show is from the Ghost of Highheart(?)'s dream of a girl killing a giant in the snow (I'm butchering it I know) or something like that.

The reason I put evidence in quotes is because it is evidence for something else in the world: magic. None of that evidence shows that the Lord of Light exists. How would you prove it? Difficult as we don't actually know what the Lord of Light is meant to be capable of or what distinguishes it from other gods or what claims their holy texts make. But test those and see if they hold up under scrutiny.

Also, even in the real world, you can never prove something to be true (except for in mathematics), all you can do is make a hypothesis and test it until it fails. The more tests it passes the more truth is shown to be within it, but if it fails any test it can't be true as it just failed a test. All I'm trying to say is that within the fictional world, is that while there is plenty of evidence to suggest a Lord of Light exists from the perspective from certain characters, as a reader/watcher, we have also seen similar evidence for plenty of other deities which leaves things ambiguous.

I think it's safe to say that other would-be wizards and other priests of other faiths have, at some time, prayed to resurrect somebody. But only those praying to the Red God have apparently been successful.

Good point.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The only prophecies the show has focused on and came true were Maggy's and Bran's. Actually, Bran is one dragon invasion of Westeros away from having a 100% accuracy. He's like the anti-Mal.

In the end, whoever beats the White Walkers (totally gonna be Jon and Dany Targaryen, of course) is gonna rule Westeros, so they need to sort out the politics between the remaining houses first.

So Dany will conquer the Lannisters with some help from Arya, and Jon will conquer the north with Sansa and Bran (and the Wildlings) by the end of next season, before the final season being those two uniting the North and South and fighting the Wildlings.

That's my guess, anyways.

I think it's more likely that things won't be resolved when shit suddenly hits the fans, forcing everyone to band together.

Then after the white walkers are defeated they'll all have learned the importance of working together (+ a few convenient deaths), leaving them in a strong position to bring an age of peace.

I suppose I should go ahead and make peace with Ramsay capturing Rickon. It doesn't make any sense from a logical storytelling standpoint, but the show has never been overly concerned with logical consistency.

In the same boat. On the other hand Ramsay defeating Stannis may cause the Northern lords to fall in line?

Still hoping for fRickon

Violater

So now Jon has to deal with, members of the nights watch that hate him and want him dead for good, Ramsey and the real threat the white walkers.

And another things HBO seriously needs to stop spoilling their own episodes by giving us flashbacks before the show starts. I know they are trying to catch people up who may or may not remember

studyguy

So now Jon has to deal with, members of the nights watch that hate him and want him dead for good, Ramsey and the real threat the white walkers.

Should have stayed dead, that's a tall order to fill tbh.
Poor Jon has his work cut out for him. Honestly sort of dreading what Ramsay is going to say to Jon. I have no doubt he's gonna pull some awful shit about his sister so D&D can hammer in the point of just how villainous he is. I think it's too much but whatever, it'll be entertaining to see him bleed.

Timbuktu

I think it's more likely that things won't be resolved when shit suddenly hits the fans, forcing everyone to band together.

Then after the white walkers are defeated they'll all have learned the importance of working together (+ a few convenient deaths), leaving them in a strong position to bring an age of peace.

That sounds like too happy an ending for this show. It just feels that the end would be something bittersweet. There would be hardly anything left to rule in Westerns after all is said and done.

HAWDOKEN

The reason I put evidence in quotes is because it is evidence for something else in the world: magic. None of that evidence shows that the Lord of Light exists. How would you prove it? Difficult as we don't actually know what the Lord of Light is meant to be capable of or what distinguishes it from other gods or what claims their holy texts make. But test those and see if they hold up under scrutiny.

Also, even in the real world, you can never prove something to be true (except for in mathematics), all you can do is make a hypothesis and test it until it fails. The more tests it passes the more truth is shown to be within it, but if it fails any test it can't be true as it just failed a test. All I'm trying to say is that within the fictional world, is that while there is plenty of evidence to suggest a Lord of Light exists from the perspective from certain characters, as a reader/watcher, we have also seen similar evidence for plenty of other deities which leaves things ambiguous.
You are right about testing evidence, but how do you test a miracle? I'm not sure if it's mentioned on the show, but Thoros mentions that he said the prayer prior to Beric and it didn't work. That suggests, to me at least, that miracle magic may be at the whim of a god. It's not proof, but I think it's strong evidence.

Gigglepoo

If D&D really want to shock viewers, the episode after Jon comes back from the dead would be the perfect time to introduce Lady Stoneheart.

sadblob

The thing about Rickon is that in the books he's still away and doing nothing. I know they send ¿Davos? to find him, but it doesn't feel like he is important.

So maybe he gets offed by Ramsay and provides closure to his stuff. I hope not, mainly because of Shaggydog.

Violater

Should have stayed dead, that's a tall order to fill tbh.
Poor Jon has his work cut out for him. Honestly sort of dreading what Ramsay is going to say to Jon. I have no doubt he's gonna pull some awful shit about his sister so D&D can hammer in the point of just how villainous he is. I think it's too much but whatever, it'll be entertaining to see him bleed.

I don't get the hate for the way Ramsey is portrayed, the guy comes form a long line of guys that thought it was normal to cut the skin off their enemies bit by bit.
We have seen people murdered in so many ways on the show yet people are still offended, maybe I'm desensitized to the show's violence at this point.

Apt101

The thing about Rickon is that in the books he's still away and doing nothing. I know they send ¿Davos? to find him, but it doesn't feel like he is important.

So maybe he gets offed by Ramsay and provides closure to his stuff. I hope not, mainly because of Shaggydog.

I wouldn't bother trying to reconcile shit at this point. If a character dies on the show it means their story doesn't come to any meaningful resolution and/or they also die in the books. That's how I am approaching it anyways.

In the same boat. On the other hand Ramsay defeating Stannis may cause the Northern lords to fall in line?

Still hoping for fRickon

Agreed, if the Umbers have Rickon though why in the world would they give him to Ramsay? That's my problem with it. Rickon is their meal ticket to controlling the North, why give that away?

Violater

I wouldn't bother trying to reconcile shit at this point. If a character dies on the show it means their story doesn't come to any meaningful resolution and/or they also die in the books. That's how I am approaching it anyways.

Agreed, granted the show can never be as rich as the books its just not possible given budget/time constraints I merely think of the show as cutting to the major plot points much like a wiki summary would.

Gigglepoo

Or D&D are going in a different direction. We have no idea. I consider the two separate entities.

Aiii

So not worth it

The banding together will happen, Jon and the northern nobility and the Wildlings, and Dany and the southern lords.

Why do people seem to think the Tower of Joy scene will show the fight? Why won't it just leave off where it does in the book, i.e., we don't see the fight, we don't see what Howland Reed does, etc?

Now his revival has been confirmed, should Jon/Kit be added to the OP? Especially as he stated to EW that he's been on set more than any other actor this year and it's his biggest season.

This is pretty silly. From EW's continuing coverage of Snow:
Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss told Harington he was going to eventually be revived just two weeks after the cast received the season 5 scripts in the summer of 2014. But the producers swore him to absolute secrecy. So for nearly a year, Harington had to convince his fellow Thrones actors and the show’s crew that he was leaving the show.

“At first I thought I would find it fun,” Harington tells us. “This will be a fun game. But I had to lie to a lot of close friends and cast members and crew. The longer it went, the more I felt like I was betraying them. So I did end up letting people in, slowly.”

Some castmembers didn’t believe Harington was departing at all. Ser Davos actor Liam Cunningham, for example, “told me to f— off from the start,” Harington says.

While others bought the deception, at least initially – such as Sansa Stark actress Sophie Turner.

“Sophie Turner, bless her, wrote me a really long letter about how much she loved working with me – and I still got it,” Harington says. “That made me chuckle.”

By the time the scripts for season 6 went out last summer, the cast had pretty much figured it out.

This was a much better episode than episode 1, but the criticism of the events being "unearned" is exactly right. They are unearned. The events don't happen because of a carefully laid out path of events and consequences, instead they happen because the plot required them to happen so all logic and personal motivations are handwaved away.

Jon's resurrection is the prime example of this, it feels cheap because it is cheap. Not a single person in that room should have the reason to even try to revive him, either because they shouldn't believe such a thing is possible, or because they have no reason to be committed enough to Jon to attempt such a far-fetched act of desperation. But the plot needed him to be brought back so viola, they who have no reason to bring him back, who should have no means to bring him back, say a few words and he's back.

Gigglepoo

Why do people seem to think the Tower of Joy scene will show the fight? Why won't it just leave off where it does in the book, i.e., we don't see the fight, we don't see what Howland Reed does, etc?

At some point we do need the full story. Remember, ToJ was in A Game of Thrones. That was the very beginning of the story. It made sense to give a taste then--especially because it was Ned's fever dream. But now? They're not going to be able to explain why Bran just stops watching during this incredible event.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My thoughts on the "bittersweet" ending of the series is that I can totally see the White Walkers continuing to push south through to Kings Landing, and eventually over-running Westeros. I can still see the "heroes" of the story winning a large victory (maybe the Night King or whoever he is, is defeated, but Westeros is lost).

The survivors, whoever they may be, flee across the sea to Mereen, where they are ruled by Dany and her council. That would seem kind of bittersweet to me. Dany gets to rule as a fair and just Queen(yay!), but their homeland is lost forever (boo!). All of Dany's trials and tribulations outside of Westeros have done nothing but teach her how to lead. She's learned the cost of leadership, and how heavy a crown can be. I feel she's a natural ruler, even if young and naive sometimes. I think that's the whole point of her arc. We've seen her grow into a queen, and make both amazing and foolish decisions in the process. I can't think of anyone else in the series that would be a rightful fit in almost all areas. Nobody is perfect, but between the options, Dany is one of the best fit. Maybe Tyrion and a more experienced Jon Snow.

I think losing Westeros completely to the White Walkers would be more cutting than the deaths of our fan favorites. All the betrayal, back-biting, murdering, and war would have got them nothing, but cost them everything (their home). I think that'd be an awesome, powerful, and definitely bittersweet ending. "Revenge and Greed are bad," seems to be the overarching theme of the series. Having that lesson be learned in a way that everyone, not just our lead characters, feel could be great. I don't know. That just a thought that's been in my head for a few months now. I'm very, very interested in seeing how Martin and the show come to their conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom