• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was already said D&D have been told whats in books 6 & 7. Not all the finer details are there obviously but main things like Jon coming back will be in book 6.
They also said the show will not spoil the books.
Bringing Jon back to life just doesn't sound like something GRRM would have done.

Henkka

Banned

No.

GRRM said:
Having said all that, I know what the next question will be, because hundreds of you have already asked it of me. Will the show 'spoil' the novels?

Maybe. Yes and no. Look, I never thought the series could possibly catch up with the books, but it has. The show moved faster than I anticipated and I moved more slowly. There were other factors too, but that was the main one. Given where we are, inevitably, there will be certain plot twists and reveals in season six of GAME OF THRONES that have not yet happened in the books. For years my readers have been ahead of the viewers. This year, for some things, the reverse will be true.

Kozak

Banned
I think he met Tormund Giantsbane a few minutes ago.

Did you watch episode 2?????

The wildlings that Jon snow got himself murdered for.

fuck

brain fart

thought he said that line after Edd left to grab em and was suggesting that someone in his party owed Jon their lives

From the preview:
what if the gift for Ramsey is Theon, not Rickon?

My heart would drop so hard. That would be so ridiculously evil.

Not at all

Jon Snow needed to come back. Not to please the fans but instead to not waste their time. You don't make a character and their life such a focal point if you're just going to kill them off and end their story abruptly. Thats not good story telling.

It may be "life", but GoT certainly isn't real.

If Jon Snow remained dead, I believe it would have had a significant negative impact on the number of viewers/readers purely because fans would feel deceived and frustrated.

NateDrake

Bringing Jon back to life just doesn't sound like something GRRM would have done.

The difference between the show and the books at this point is how they each arrive at the same end. The show may kill useless characters that the book will still have till the end, or the circumstance around a death may differ between the two.

Kain

No.

GRRM said:
Having said all that, I know what the next question will be, because hundreds of you have already asked it of me. Will the show 'spoil' the novels?

Maybe. Yes and no. Look, I never thought the series could possibly catch up with the books, but it has. The show moved faster than I anticipated and I moved more slowly. There were other factors too, but that was the main one. Given where we are, inevitably, there will be certain plot twists and reveals in season six of GAME OF THRONES that have not yet happened in the books. For years my readers have been ahead of the viewers. This year, for some things, the reverse will be true.

He was clearly trolling there.

Moff

He was clearly trolling there.

well back in the mid-late 2000s when they had the first talks about the show he probably honestly thought he would easily finish the series before the show even starts, or maybe release the final book at the height of the show hype.

Pluto

That actually leads to an interesting scenario if Kevan and Tommen are dead. Who even gets the throne at that point? All the major Baratheon's are dead, all of "Robert's" children are dead, and all of his brother's children are dead. I mean, do they start just going to Lannister's at that point? Hold some kind of tournament? The only person left between the Baratheon's and Lannisters would be... Jaime lol.
The Lannisters have no claim to the throne, with all Baratheons gone Robert's rightful heir is Daenerys, they're like second cousins or something. Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen and the Mad King's sister.

Daenerys has probably the strongest claim right now, she's the heir for both lines, Targaryen and Baratheon.

Brakke

Banned
Davos jumped on the Jonwagon pretty quickly.

Now I'm waiting for JonxMel. Then he discovers she's and old hag but he doesn't care. TRUE LOVE.

Davos and Jon are two of like four people on Planetos who give appropriate credit to the threat from the White Walkers. It was Davos who suggested Stannis reinforce the Wall in the first place. Arriving at the Wall he meets Jon, who's thoughtful, serious, and committed to his duty, all of which Davos venerates.

Kain

Oathbreaker means more Brienne the teleporting magical warrior. Maybe she appears in KL all of a sudden to give the good news to Jaime (does he care anymore?)

Aiii

So not worth it
Mothers day is this sunday and the episode is called Oathbreaker. LSH hype.

Heh.

Honestly, though I'm disappointed they skipped over this part, at this point there's just no use in going back there like they did with the Iron Islands. It's done, and we have our reanimated corpses in The Mountain and Jon Snow, aside from The Others of course.

We really don't need another one at this point.

Ratrat

well back in the mid-late 2000s when they had the first talks about the show he probably honestly thought he would easily finish the series before the show even starts, or maybe release the final book at the height of the show hype.
He also had delusions of them making 2-3 seasons off of Feast and Dance.

Few thought on the episode this week:

• Somehow Bloodraven actually looks worse this season. He looked sort-of-but-not-enough decrepit at he end of season 4 but he's just a guy in a tree this season.
  • I did like seeing Bran & Meera again. I missed their story in season 5.
  • Arya's scene with Jaquen and the offer of giving her food/shelter/sight should have happened in episode 1 for her to fail, then repeated in episode 2. I don't get what this stick fight is supposed to be achieving other than an excuse for more petty fighting. Arya's clearly not "no one" and MW's delivery of those lined showed as such, but the repetition would have at least showed her making the effort for Jaquen to consider.
  • If I hadn't read the book I probably would have enjoyed Euron's introduction, but hearing them dive right into the 'Godliest Man' speech made me cringe a little. Didn't do it for me. I did like the rest of that scene though so I'm still excited for more Euron in the future.
  • Patrick Malahide can be added to the list of underused actors on this show, along with (perhaps most criminally) Michael McElhatton. I was hoping we'd get more Roose before they killed him, so I guess at least one of their shocks hit home.
  • Yara's insistence that she's going to find who killed Balon falls a bit flat after her wacky antics in season 4.
  • Ramsay really would feel right at home in a Zack Snyder movie. He's that sort of juvenile, exploitative fratboy-friendly bad guy that's totally in-line with ZS's movies.
  • Couldn't believe the first thing out of Tyrion's mouth in this episode was a cock joke.
  • Maybe it was just the lighting but it seemed like Viserion & Rhaegal were both black, similar to Drogon. I really hope they haven't ditched the white/green colour scheme. Dinklage's accent aside this was an ok sort of scene. I like the idea of Tyrion being in awe of the dragons, but wary of where they're going with the story.
  • I feel like we could have done with another scene between Mel & Davos before his Hail Mary attempt. There's an elephant in the room between those two and they've not addressed it one way or another.

All in all this was actually a pretty good episode, to my surprise. Not great, but a massive step up from Episode 1.

Kain

Speaking of Pyke, I really liked the lighting and general effects on the bridge. Also a small touch, but you can clearly hear the waves crashing against the castle when Yara and Balon are arguing and I like these little things. They are doing the locations in the Iron Islands just like I imagined them, they really nailed it. Let's see what happens with the Kingsmoot, but at least we'll get the horn, right? Will they push the magical aspect of Euron or not?

Some of effects and locations are ace and some fall just flat, for example all of Meereen looks like a set built with cardboard. And the city is always empty, it's baffling.

bitbydeath

• I don't get what this stick fight is supposed to be achieving other than an excuse for more petty fighting.

It heightens her other senses and makes her a better fighter when relying on just sound, smell and air movements to determine/predict what the opponent is going to do next.

Speevy

Banned
From the preview:
what if the gift for Ramsey is Theon, not Rickon?

qDX8NNI.gif

I may be giving the show too much credit, but I feel that the idea of some of the Northern houses defecting to Ramsay of all people (not even his father, but him!) seems to be setting up him getting surrounded by people who put themselves there to stab him in the back when the time comes. I just hope that when that finally happens, he tells Jon Snow "I've got twenty good men, what do you have?" and Jon goes "I've got 20... North men." and they all turn on him. That would be so good.

I'm trying to imagine an interesting exchange between the two of them and can't really. Neither character really seems invested in destroying the other. Ramsay raped the sister, actually cousin, who never really liked Jon, and claims the castle he didn't want. At least in the books, Jon thinks Ramsay has Arya. Roose would have made a better adversary after betraying and killing Rob.

I wish Roose had killed Ramsay instead too. He just seems like a more believable threat and someone at least maybe capable of uniting northern houses against the Starks. Ramsay is a ridiculous cartoon character and I just don't buy the premise of anyone standing behind him at this point.

Sheroking

Heh.

Regardless of what changes between show and books, I guarantee you - Jon was killed in both with the understanding that he was going to be resurrected. Maybe the method is very different or the result, but it was ABUNDANTLY clear that Jon's death wasn't going to stick, even in 2011.

George himself has been less than cagey about it. There was a point where he answered a fan question about why he killed Jon Snow off and George was like "oh, so you think he's dead, do you?".

It's still astounds me that George couldn't foresee the show catching up and passing the books.

It seems as if the show is going to feature the Northern conspiracy pretty heavily this season. So maybe not as much book 6 material will make it in this season.

You would think Martin would at the very least have Winds out before season 7, but I have no faith.

Faddy

Banned

D&D are such hacks bringing Jon back! They brought back the Mountain too. Why can't they just let George's characters rest in peace. Next thing you know they will be bringing back the Hound. Thank George that they had to follow the books in previous seasons or the would resurrected someone like Catelyn for no reason at all.

Aiii

So not worth it
Heh.

Regardless of what changes between show and books, I guarantee you - Jon was killed in both with the understanding that he was going to be resurrected. Maybe the method is very different or the result, but it was ABUNDANTLY clear that Jon's death wasn't going to stick, even in 2011.

George himself has been less than cagey about it. There was a point where he answered a fan question about why he killed Jon Snow off and George was like "oh, so you think he's dead, do you?".

I believe that was actually an Entertainment Weekly interview that came out in less than a month from the release of the book IIRC.

Pennywise

I'm trying to imagine an interesting exchange between the two of them and can't really. Neither character really seems invested in destroying the other. Ramsay raped the sister, actually cousin, who never really liked Jon, and claims the castle he didn't want. At least in the books, Jon thinks Ramsay has Arya. Roose would have made a better adversary after betraying and killing Rob.

I wish Roose had killed Ramsay instead too. He just seems like a more believable threat and someone at least maybe capable of uniting northern houses against the Starks. Ramsay is a ridiculous cartoon character and I just don't buy the premise of anyone standing behind him at this point.

Yeah.
Overall Roose getting killed felt pretty weird.
He is far too pragmatic to let his guard down, even in a moment were other people would feel joy.
I don't think anyone who knew Roose and how cautious he was, would believe the poison story either.

Might be a setup for a great payoff for Ramsay, but who knows.

Also, apart from the Karstarks it's highly doubtful that the majority of other houses would side with Ramsay.
Roose was one thing, but following a bastard of a family that not only killed their king, but ALOT of allied soldiers and famous house members at the Red Wedding ?

I remain hopeful that they build up a similar scenario to the wedding in Winterfell from the books, but I kinda doubt it.

Turin

Banned

Amen.

It's much easier to picture Roose slipping the dagger into Ramsay, thinking he had his father with his guard down.

If they really needed a formidable warrior for Jon to fight, I'm sure McElhatton could have simulated a good fight scene after some training.

I'm no fan of Ramsay but I think your last point is being intentionally set up as his downfall. They really laid the foreshadowing on thick in his last talk with his dear old dad about how his violent behavior is going to get him "put down."

Someone mentioned earlier how Roose and Ramsay always knew on some level that one of them would probably end up killing the other; I kind of wish there had been a scene set up where Roose realizes Ramsay is about to kill him, accepts it, and they have one final little chit-chat.

Aiii

So not worth it
Roose's faith was sealed from the start. Ramsay murdered his legitimate heir, Roose had to have an heir to become Warden of the North (nobody would have accepted a house that would just crumble the second their leader died) and with only Ramsay I'm pretty sure he knew himself there was no chance in hell he'd have a long life. Which is why Walda having a boy was so important to him.

His big mistake was letting his guard down around Ramsay, really. Should have kept his distance and send Ramsay off to hold a seat Deepwood Motte or somewhere where he could be kept busy.

I'm no fan of Ramsay but I think your last point is being intentionally set up as his downfall. They really laid the foreshadowing on thick in his last talk with his dear old dad about how his violent behavior is going to get him "put down."

Someone mentioned earlier how Roose and Ramsay always knew on some level that one of them would probably end up killing the other; I kind of wish there had been a scene set up where Roose realizes Ramsay is about to kill him, accepts it, and they have one final little chit-chat.

My main issue is that at this point I'm about as interested in seeing Ramsay 'put down' as any random mindless beast. I'm not quite sure how to put it... I just can't see Ramsay's death delivering much in the way of 'catharsis'.

Sheroking

My main issue is that at this point I'm about as interested in seeing Ramsay 'put down' as any random mindless beast. I'm not quite sure how to put it... I just can't see Ramsay's death delivering much in the way of 'catharsis'.

I mean... for better or worse, Ramsay has been positioned as the more important character and villain in the series and has been since even before the Red Wedding.

It may not resonate with an internet minority, but Ramsay is by far the more relevant character to an HBO audience.

Turin

Banned
For some reason I barely payed attention to Ramsay until you guys pointed out what D&D were clearly up to with him. Then the Sansa thing happened. Then 20 good men.

Now here we are.

giphy.gif

News Bot

Banned
Oh and Roose went out like a chump. I'm surprised the dude didn't see that obvious power play coming.

It's a perfect example of the show's egregious contrivance. Roose is well aware his son is a ruthless psychopath with an inferiority complex, and he uses it to manipulate him. Then all of a sudden he's a chump? Ramsay's "poisoned by his enemies" excuse doesn't work either since Roose deliberately doesn't drink and is highly paranoid of poison. Everyone falling at Ramsay's feet is ridiculous also, he's a violent idiot. He is an unbelievable character in the worst sense with not a shred of realism to him, which goes against much of the point of the series. D&D are more concerned with cheap shock than actual storytelling.

GRRM is doing it, but his method will be more intricate and will involve Jon's warging ability, which doesn't exist in the show.

I hope book Roose isn't dumb enough to keep his expecting wife around Ramsay. With how he's been characterized to this point he's too smart to make that mistake.

Ramsay is definitely going down this season though and I'm ready for it. It's time to focus on another antagonist.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope book Roose isn't dumb enough to keep his expecting wife around Ramsay. With how he's been characterized to this point he's too smart to make that mistake.

Ramsay is definitely going down this season though and I'm ready for it. It's time to focus on another antagonist.

Trying to remember if show Roose ever had a legitimate son that Ramsay murdered, probably not, right?

takriel

Well the next antagonist will likely be the last, so I'd imagine after Ramsay they'll focus on the White Walkers and the lead up to the final battle etc.

From the trailers we know
Theon meets his sister, so I doubt it will happen. It's totally going to be Rickon.

From the standpoint of being semi-faithful to the books it makes more sense for it to be fake-Arya. What good is a male heir to Ramsay? He'd just kill him. He needs a female Stark to give him legitimacy.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well the next antagonist will likely be the last, so I'd imagine after Ramsay they'll focus on the White Walkers and the lead up to the final battle etc.

In the end, whoever beats the White Walkers (totally gonna be Jon and Dany Targaryen, of course) is gonna rule Westeros, so they need to sort out the politics between the remaining houses first.

So Dany will conquer the Lannisters with some help from Arya, and Jon will conquer the north with Sansa and Bran (and the Wildlings) by the end of next season, before the final season being those two uniting the North and South and fighting the Wildlings.

That's my guess, anyways.

Moff

it's rickon because they need to kill characters fast and in a hurry, only 24 episodes left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom