• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

Jons resurrection seemed way too easy. Say a few words, get worried for a second, and he's back. I thought they'd do something like have M sacrifice her life, or her fake appearance, to put enough power into the spell to bring him back.

Jons resurrection seemed way too easy. Say a few words, get worried for a second, and he's back. I thought they'd do something like have M sacrifice her life, or her fake appearance, to put enough power into the spell to bring him back.

Is it weird that I kind of liked that aspect of it? I feel like the whole "death for life" thing is a bit overplayed and to have it done purely as (ostensibly) an answered prayer was kind of refreshing, if simplistic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wouldn't surprise me if the next ep starts with Melisandre failing to bring him back and then we follow her to her room where she takes her life, then it cuts back to the ending of this episode with Jon waking up.

Eidan

Why? Did Thoros have to do any of that?

belvedere

Junior Butler

I keep seeing this but this is exactly how it worked for Thoros and Beric. Thoros lost all faith, stopped taking any of it seriously and drank and whored. "My friend died and I asked for him back". Beric woke up.

Nothing special at all.

Sneak peek of what happens next week

Jon gets up from the table, feels his head. "Wh... what? What happened?"
His hands run over his head feverishly. "No... this can't be real. It can't be!"

Cut to a scene where Davos and Melisandre are drinking together and having a sympathy makeout session.

Jon busts through the door. Davos and Melisandre look on in complete shock. "Lord Snow, you're alive," Davos stammers.

"Who did it?" Jon demands, fists clenched at his sides.

Davos mutters, "Uh, well, Melisandre did some ritual, and uh." Melisandre cuts in, putting her hand on Davos' arm. "It was all Lord Davos' idea, really." Davos smiles. "Now, now, it was you that did everything, I did naught but ask."

Jon looks exasperated. "But why... why would you do such a thing."
Davos, surprised, says: "You were dead... what else could we do?"

Jon lowers his head. "But my gorgeous, flowing hair... it was perfect."

Melisandre stands, and walks over to Jon. She kneels, and puts her hand on his shoulder. "It was the only way," she says softly.

Jon looks up, rage in his eyes.

"It wasn't worth it."

Gigglepoo

What wrap-up shows do you listen to and/or watch? I've got a pretty good variety this year (my first year actively caring about what happens in the show)

Television:

After the Thrones -- Two non-book readers touch on all the plot points each week with light analysis and lots of jokes. They also bring in one or two book experts to explain questions. Really positive, probably because it's on HBO.

Podcast:

A Cast of Kings -- One person who hasn't read the books (Dave Chen) discusses the episode with a book reader (Joanna Robinson). Lighthearted look at the story along with breaking down the mechanics of why scenes worked or didn't work (Dave is a filmmaker).

A Storm of Spoilers -- The same women from A Cast of Kings along with another book reader and a guy who has just read the wikis. Lots of jokes and crazy speculation.

History of Westeros -- A non-book reader talks with a dude who knows the A Song of Ice and Fire inside and out. Really in-depth look that tries to stay positive.

History of Westeros with Radio Westeros Three people who know the books inside and out try to figure out what the show's scenes will mean for future books. Super book intensive.

YouTube:

Preston Jacobs -- Sarcastic analysis of the latest episode for a hardcore book reader. Usually negative, really funny. He also answers questions a day or two afterward.

Alt Shift X Another hardcore book reader though much more optimistic with well done visual design.

Lothar

Banned
I watch Linda, Real Nagus, and Comicbookgirl19.

Linda may be negative but she is knowledgeable so it is interesting. She finds plot holes I never would have thought of and sometimes when something feels off in the show and I can't really explain why, she puts that into words.

Real Nagus are hilarious and entertaining. Extremely positive, have fun with everything on the show. When a character does something stupid, they laugh and make fun of the character rather than the writers. That's refreshing.

Comicbookgirl19 has by far the best Game of Thrones videos on the Internet with her history videos of different houses. She's passionate, knowledgeable, and has a good sense of humor. When she likes it, she's really excited, when something is disappointing or lazy she really lets them have it.

Syder

The penalty is for the resurrectee not the resurrector. Who knows what Jon has lost to the Abyss. His sense of honour? Loyalty to the Night's Watch? Maybe he knows something now.

Speevy

Banned
Linda's reviews would be great if she could actually contain her contempt for 5 seconds.

"These are things I know are happening in the books but I know George will do them better."

"That gigantic scene with the Hollywood budget and great acting was a nice moment. It felt better in the books."

She actually explained why a scene with Tyrion Lannister talking to a fucking dragon was somehow less awesome than Quentyn Martell.

Zabka

This was a much better episode than episode 1, but the criticism of the events being "unearned" is exactly right. They are unearned. The events don't happen because of a carefully laid out path of events and consequences, instead they happen because the plot required them to happen so all logic and personal motivations are handwaved away.

Jon's resurrection is the prime example of this, it feels cheap because it is cheap. Not a single person in that room should have the reason to even try to revive him, either because they shouldn't believe such a thing is possible, or because they have no reason to be committed enough to Jon to attempt such a far-fetched act of desperation. But the plot needed him to be brought back so viola, they who have no reason to bring him back, who should have no means to bring him back, say a few words and he's back.

Davos and Melisandre were the people that convinced Stannis that the true war was the war against the white walkers and the undead. Davos also knows that Jon is the only person who could unite the Night's Watch, the Wildlings and the Northern houses.

Davos knows how important Jon is.

Now that I think about it, do the books mention Joffrey ever being a dick to Tommen and Myrcella? I don't even remember if he interacted with his siblings in the books.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I think about it, do the books mention Joffrey ever being a dick to Tommen and Myrcella? I don't even remember if he interacted with his siblings in the books.

Tommen liked pets. Joffery liked skinning said pets.

Aurongel

"These are things I know are happening in the books but I know George will do them better."

I don't know how anyone can respect the opinion of someone who compares a fictional adaptation to a book that doesn't even exist yet.

"George will do them better though!"

Are you his editor? Fucking waste of time being inundated by opinions as shallow and presumptuous as that.

Linda's reviews would be great if she could actually contain her contempt for 5 seconds.

"That gigantic scene with the Hollywood budget and great acting was a nice moment. It felt better in the books."

She actually explained why a scene with Tyrion Lannister talking to a fucking dragon was somehow less awesome than Quentyn Martell.

While it was a cool scene in the show...why would the dragons be so chill about Tyrion walking in there and just talking to them?

They should've at least had a scene where the dragons try roasting him and then he would come back another day and try again and succeeding.

Eidan

While it was a cool scene in the show...why would the dragons be so chill about Tyrion walking in there and just talking to them?

They should've at least had a scene where the dragons try roasting him and then he would come back another day and try again and succeeding.
For the same reason the show explained: Tyrion's a cool dude, and the dragons recognize it.

Surfinn

This was a much better episode than episode 1, but the criticism of the events being "unearned" is exactly right. They are unearned. The events don't happen because of a carefully laid out path of events and consequences, instead they happen because the plot required them to happen so all logic and personal motivations are handwaved away.

Jon's resurrection is the prime example of this, it feels cheap because it is cheap. Not a single person in that room should have the reason to even try to revive him, either because they shouldn't believe such a thing is possible, or because they have no reason to be committed enough to Jon to attempt such a far-fetched act of desperation. But the plot needed him to be brought back so viola, they who have no reason to bring him back, who should have no means to bring him back, say a few words and he's back.
When I watched I was thinking.. This is how he comes back? Felt ready heavy handed and forced. Felt like it was hardly planned and that they simply needed him to return in one episode. Glad he's back but wish they would have handled things with more care.

Hopefully there's more to come about his res.

gspec

I think Mel and Selyse will burn shireen hoping to save stannis from losing the battle at winterfell but it will not save stannis. It will bring Jon back to life. Or Mel will finally realize that Jon (snow) in her visions in the flames is Azor Ahori and will resurrect Jon somewhat similar to the show.

Gigglepoo

I don't think he loses anything since in the books it suggests that he warged into ghost then back into himself. Beric couldn't do that.

But Jon can't warg in the show and the show has established that resurrected characters lose a large chunk of who they were.

Gigglepoo

That we're aware of, at least.

Wow, that would be incredibly lazy writing if they avoid changing Jon post-resurrection by suddenly making him a warg. Talk about cheap storytelling. Going 5+ seasons without even alluding to a supernatural ability and then inexplicably injecting it into the show would be the epitome of "not earning it"

Wow, that would be incredibly lazy writing if they avoid changing Jon post-resurrection by suddenly making him a warg. Talk about cheap storytelling. Going 5+ seasons without even alluding to a supernatural ability and then inexplicably injecting it into the show would be the epitome of "not earning it"

I could buy it as an innate ability he's always had that was awakened by the trauma of being stabbed.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
If they make Arya and Rickon a Warg I think it could work...

I could buy it as an innate ability he's always had that was awakened by the trauma of being stabbed.

Even if that's the case there was no indication given that he entered Ghost; Ghost simply acted like...Ghost while Jon was dead. Instead he was resurrected like Beric, meaning there will have to be some consequences to his memory or personality. I wouldn't be stunned if they completely waive all that off.

Even though Ghost showed no signs that Jon was inhabiting him?

Just playing devil's advocate, but what did we really see of Ghost one way or another this season? Him ready to tear the NW apart (could be Jon defending his own body), and when he looks up at Jon at the end of ep 2, that could easily be Ghost returning back to normal, and Jon's spirit leaving his body.

Not saying this is the God's honest truth, just that if they want it to be there, it could be.

Gigglepoo

Even if that's the case there was no indication given that he entered Ghost; Ghost simply acted like...Ghost while Jon was dead. Instead he was resurrected like Beric, meaning there will have to be some consequences to his memory or personality. I wouldn't be stunned if they completely waive all that off.

It's cheap to say "The book will do it better!" since we don't actually have any book material to compare the show to. But we do know that Martin explains what's happening and takes his time to develop plots and situations so that when an event does occur, it makes sense. The show does not do that at all. If Jon isn't changed, then they are going against the logic that they set up two seasons ago. It's as simple as that. Continuity isn't their strong suit, though, nor is long-term planning, so I wouldn't be surprised with a hand-wave excuse.

Just playing devil's advocate, but what did we really see of Ghost one way or another this season? Him ready to tear the NW apart (could be Jon defending his own body), and when he looks up at Jon at the end of ep 2, that could easily be Ghost returning back to normal, and Jon's spirit leaving his body.

Not saying this is the God's honest truth, just that if they want it to be there, it could be.

Ghost didn't display any difference in behavior, subtle or otherwise. That would be very disingenuous to say that he was a warg all of a sudden. I think they would rather hand-wave his lack of change than make up a convoluted warg ability that isn't supported by prior scenes.

Although, there are the same writers who had Mel remove her neckless without reverting to an old woman two seasons ago so I wouldn't put it past them. I'm just saying that's it's bad storytelling.

Lothar

Banned

I don't agree with it but I don't see it as too unreasonable that someone would prefer the dragons getting out by burning someone alive than the dragons getting out with a comedic Tyrion scene. She did give them credit for talking about some of the history of the dragons and how Tyrion was upset as a kid when he learned the dragons didn't exist. She said that was a nice touch.

Yeah Ghost's behavior in the revival could imply a warg subtext (it also mirrored Bran waking up in ep 102). It'll likely remain possible subtext though in my opinion.

gspec

Warging does exist in the show. The wilding guy who warged into the eagle\hawk and bran who warged into Summer and Hodor. It just the other stark children and jon which didn't show the ability.

Nodnol

I've only just discovered Shift Alt X in the last few weeks, but I love his videos. Well laid out, pulls the relevant material from whatever source and delivers it in a clear and concise manner, with some nice dry humour to boot. These episodic recaps and brief explanations are awesome, but I do love his theory videos too (especially the Hodor one). I notice the view on the 6x01 explanation smashed 1m views; hopefully big things to come for a good channel.

Gigglepoo

Warging does exist in the show. The wilding guy who warged into the eagle\hawk and bran who warged into Summer and Hodor. It just the other stark children and jon which didn't show the ability.

Yeah, I know. Jon (and Rickon, Sansa, and Arya) haven't shown any ability to warg so throwing that in now would feel cheap. "Oh yeah, these characters totally have supernatural abilities, too!" That's just a cop-out.

I've only just discovered Shift Alt X in the last few weeks, but I love his videos. Well laid out, pulls the relevant material from whatever source and delivers it in a clear and concise manner, with some nice dry humour to boot. These episodic recaps and brief explanations are awesome, but I do love his theory videos too (especially the Hodor one). I notice the view on the 6x01 explanation smashed 1m views; hopefully big things to come for a good channel.

Totally agree. Really thorough explanations with great visual design. Preston Jacobs' videos are very different. Shift Alt X (admits) that these theories aren't his own. Rather, he breaks down popular theories so we can see the supporting material and decide how plausible the ideas are. Preston Jacobs invents his own theories. He's still thorough and detailed, but the ideas are also a little out there. The two complement each other quite well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Watching old clips of the Brotherhood without Banners and I noticed that the same music that plays in credits after Jon's resurrection also plays during The Hound's and Beric's trial by combat. Obviously intentional. Any idea what the song is called though?

Davos and Melisandre were the people that convinced Stannis that the true war was the war against the white walkers and the undead. Davos also knows that Jon is the only person who could unite the Night's Watch, the Wildlings and the Northern houses.

Davos knows how important Jon is.

But Davos doesn't know that people can be brought back from the dead.

Nodnol

The warging thing could quite easily be explained, as someone said above, through an innate ability that is awoken during an intense of traumatic experience; Bran's fall, Jon's death, Arya's blindness.

They could, if they wanted, develop it quite comfortably. Jon and Arya's current situations allow for them to introduce this, and shine a light on the old blood in their veins, and how this has been awoken through their respective experiences. If Arya is dreaming she's a cat, whilst at the same time Jon is/has been inside Ghost, then it's sufficiently removing doubt from the situation in the eyes of the non-book reading audience.

I don't think they will though. I think it's a missed opportunity personnally, because I think Jon's story so far, in particular, has established a better representation of a warg, removed from the prophetic nature of Bran's abilities. It would take very little to introduce the audience to Jon with warging powers.

Alas, like many other decisions, rightly or wrongly, I think they'll simplify it down to its core. If warging isn't important for their end game, then I don't think Jon or Arya will get the gift. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom