• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

What is everyone thinking the dialog matching percentage will be for
the ToJ sequence?

I hope we get 100% but I guess I'll settle for as little as 50% of the spoken dialog matching what the book gave us.

They're fighting a war against an army of people brought back from the dead.

Wight aren't brought back from the dead, they are reanimated corpses that the WW's control. Surely Davos wasn't trying to create a wight. Davos is not aware that bringing people back from the dead, where the original personality of the dead person remains with the person, is possible.

Zabka

Sorry, I should have said "and hates the magic that Mel uses" since he's horrified by every one of her magical abilities regardless of if it's technically blood magic or not.

He hated her burning and sacrificing people to do her magic. He didn't ask her to hurt anyone. He just asked her to try.

Wight aren't brought back from the dead, they are reanimated corpses that the WW's control. Surely Davos wasn't trying to create a wight. Davos is not aware that bringing people back from the dead, where the original personality of the dead person remains with the person, is possible.

You're just splitting hairs now.

Gigglepoo

He hated her burning and sacrificing people to do her magic. He didn't ask her to hurt anyone. He just asked her to try.

Davos doesn't like how Mel reads the future from the flame or was able to swallow poison without dying. He has been staunchly against everything she has done since her introduction in season two. It's been firmly established that Davos despises magic, regardless if anyone has to die or not.

Speevy

Banned
What is everyone thinking the dialog matching percentage will be for
the ToJ sequence?

I hope we get 100% but I guess I'll settle for as little as 50% of the spoken dialog matching what the book gave us.

They will use the entirety of the encounter with Dane/Ned and the Lyanna/Ned scene will be very exposition heavy so people know what's going on.

Speevy

Banned
"Please bring Jon Snow back. You know the ladies love him. He's so gorgeous that I almost fucked his corpse three times. Just cast a spell. Whatever. I must have him."
-Davos Seaworth

I disagree with people thinking the ressurrection needed to be a big deal. I like the quiet ceremony approach but I do hope there's more to it. I would like to see her try to resurrect someone else but have it not work. Or we find out something more about why it did work for Jon.

But if it worked for Thoros then why not.

Regardless of whether the resurrection affected his humanity/soul or not I think Jon is definitely going to be a changed person. Other than his friends that are loyal to him he likely won't give a damn about the people in the Nights Watch. He's going to be all about 'the mission' to stop the White Walkers and the Nights Watch are incapable of mounting an effective resistance to them. He's going to force the Northern houses to unite behind him.

Travo

Regardless of whether the resurrection affected his humanity/soul or not I think Jon is definitely going to be a changed person. Other than his friends that are loyal to him he likely won't give a damn about the people in the Nights Watch. He's going to be all about 'the mission' to stop the White Walkers and the Nights Watch are incapable of mounting an effective resistance to them. He's going to force the Northern houses to unite behind him.
That's the reason he will be "Oathbreaker."

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been slowly catching up on this thread (I haven't seen the new episodes, and just finished Season 5 about a weekend ago), and I noticed some people not liking that Ramsay hasn't taken any losses, and is just steam-rolling his way through characters we like.

But I have to ask, what kind of loss would actually affect Ramsay? I mean, he's a sociopath for sure. He only cares about himself, so what, outside of his imminent demise would really affect him in any meaningful way? Him losing his claim to the North would, but he eliminated the biggest threat this past episode (his father, and his baby brother). Outside of that, what does Ramsay care about enough that losing it would be a "fuck yeah, suck it, Ramsay!" moment of catharsis for viewers? I personally can't think of anything. I guess we could chock that up to the writing of the character, but I enjoy that Ramsay is more of a force of nature compared to Joffrey. There are people as broken and sadistic as Ramsay, so I don't see him as a cartoon villain. He really seemed to have only wanted two things: legitimacy in the eyes of his father, and then a means to exert his power over more people. He's achieved both, and when that was threatened, he did was a psycho like him would do, and kill his father, step mother, and brother.

I don't know. I love Ramsay. He's insufferably evil, but we all know he's going to get his comeuppance. I bet even he expects it deep down, so he's taking out as many people as he can before that happens. He's nuts.

NeoGiff

This might have been covered 100 million times already, but I just thought I'd point this out.

https://youtu.be/6yBz54ql-u0?t=52

https://youtu.be/0byvmZnH18Q?t=6

"Keep your shield up or I'll ring your head like a bell."
-Jon, to Olly

-Ned, to Benjen

But that's not what Jon says to Olly. Also, the links are mixed up. Try a few more successive posts and you'll eventually get it right.

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. How embarrassing.

allftw

Neo Member
I disagree with people thinking the ressurrection needed to be a big deal. I like the quiet ceremony approach but I do hope there's more to it. I would like to see her try to resurrect someone else but have it not work. Or we find out something more about why it did work for Jon.

But if it worked for Thoros then why not.

I feel like if they explain it they will say that Thoros was able to resurrect Beric so that Melisandre could see and know that it was possible, therefore keeping the whole Lord of Light resurrection thing unique for Jon.

So they're combining Euron and Victarion in to one guy? How is that even possible? Why?

I was also really hoping the show would actually surprise me and have Roose be the one who stabbed Ramsay instead of the other way around but alas, D&D fucking love Ramsay.

Gigglepoo

So they're combining Euron and Victarion in to one guy? How is that even possible? Why?

I really don't understand why they can't have both characters. Would people really be overwhelmed by two new Iron Islanders? Their conflict is compelling as is the difference in their personalities and goals. Cramming Yara into that role doesn't make any sense at all. And it's not like we're attached to her anyway. We haven't seen her in a season and a half and no one was saddened by her absence.

I was also really hoping the show would actually surprise me and have Roose be the one who stabbed Ramsay instead of the other way around but alas, D&D fucking love Ramsay.

I think it's more Euron is Euron, and Yara will fill Victarion's function.

I'll bet my right eye that Theon somehow kills Euron at the end of the season and becomes the king.

Maybe, but they already butchered his "I Am Theon Greyjoy" line and had Brienne the Boring fill his role in that, so it'll have less weight - but yeah I could see that happening.

I will say they did a good job on visual casting at least, I thought Euron was Theon at first they look so much like they could be related.

Massa

This might have been covered 100 million times already, but I just thought I'd point this out.

https://youtu.be/6yBz54ql-u0?t=52

https://youtu.be/0byvmZnH18Q?t=6

-Jon, to Olly

-Ned, to Benjen

Wow, those writers are lazy, copy & pasting lines like that. D&D are hacks, etc.

/s

I really don't understand why they can't have both characters. Would people really be overwhelmed by two new Iron Islanders? Their conflict is compelling as is the difference in their personalities and goals. Cramming Yara into that role doesn't make any sense at all. And it's not like we're attached to her anyway. We haven't seen her in a season and a half and no one was saddened by her absence.

They could have 20 new characters if they wanted, but it's better to have one strong new character.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Speaking of hair, it always amuses me how the younger version of an adult character in flashbacks always has the same exact hair style as the adult character. It's such a trope in fiction, but it always amuses me. In reality, we go through quite a few hairstyles in our lives, and I'm sure many of us would cringe of our adult self was sporting the Doo we had when we were younger. Basically, I don't miss my high top fade...

I mention this, because it made me laugh when (next episode spoilers),
young Ned's
hair style is very much exactly like the older one's. Rey had the same thing in The Force Awakens, and pretty much every cartoon ever that has a young version of an adult character.

It makes sense so that we can immediately parse who the characters are in any flashback scene, but it will never not make me laugh.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'll bet my right eye that Theon somehow kills Euron at the end of the season and becomes the king.
Theon actually becoming a kinslayer sorta ruins his story.

Euron is more likely to get quentyn'd after the Dragon horn fails. The Tyrion scene last episode could even be setting up the contrast.

KahooTs

If he doesn't go himself Asha will probably go to Dany since it doesn't look like the Asha in the north stuff will be (or could be) happening. So Asha for Victarion. The why is simple, they don't care and want out, cutting characters helps them get out.

Gigglepoo

If he doesn't go himself Asha will probably go to Dany since it doesn't look like the Asha in the north stuff will be (or could be) happening. So Asha for Victarion. The why is simple, they don't care and want out, cutting characters helps them get out.

Yara's gonna die.

deim0s

Quick question: Resurrection from the Red God requires a sacrifice or exchange like with Dondarrion yeah?

So with Snow... who dies or this is entirely a "miracle"
or soul transfer shit :/
?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm more willing to bet Euron kills Theon. Also Yara is probably getting burnt by the Dragons. Honestly I'm very curious if Euron even has a role to play in the finale. Like does he become the final political villain with Ramsay and Joffery gone? Or is he going to be Doran'd and die by the end of the season by one of his relatives as you suggest.

Honestly I am thinking he kills Theon this season, Sam next.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Quick question: Resurrection from the Red God requires a sacrifice or exchange like with Dondarrion yeah?

So with Snow... who dies or this is entirely a "miracle"
or soul transfer shit :/
?
Not exactly. Dondarion was resurrected multiple times with no sacrifices or exchange's. When Lady Stoneheart was revived, I think Dondarion literally gave her his life, or something like that. Also the way Jon was revived was different than Thoros's.

Gigglepoo

I'm more willing to bet Euron kills Theon. Also Yara is probably getting burnt by the Dragons. Honestly I'm very curious if Euron even has a role to play in the finale. Like does he become the final political villain with Ramsay and Joffery gone? Or is he going to be Doran'd and die by the end of the season by one of his relatives as you suggest.

Honestly I am thinking he kills Theon this season, Sam next.

Well, Euron's goal in the books is to bring about The Long Night and he serves a man he just refers to as "him" (maybe the Shrouded Lord?). He's legit bad. Not a guy who gets his giggles out of torture, either, or plays bad. He's evil.

If the show wants a human villain after Ramsey--whose actually interesting!--Euron is the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom