• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

I expect Aegon to conquer King's Landing and have the support of the people, and be considered a great King...for a brief period of time. Then the Greyscale plague starts, and wipes out half of the population. Then Daenerys shows up and doesn't know what to do, and decides she wants the throne for herself (not bend the knee to her nephew), and then everyone ends up hating both.

It works for 2 reasons:

1) The 'perfect king' is undone by things outside his control.
2) The entitled queen is undone by her lust for power at the expense of earning it (like most of her story).

I don't think the show will go down like that, obviously (they probably want a fairy-tale ending), but I have little doubt that in the books Daenerys will not sit on the Iron Throne at the end.
I have little doubt that there won't even be an Iron Throne at the end of the books.

duckroll

Game of Thrones Season 7, brought to you by the directors of:

- Thor Too The Dark World
- The Worst Season Opener of the Series
- "The Greatest Footchase in Cinematic History"
- A New Guy

All hope rests with the new guy, lol.

Hoping that they just had to plan in advance and wanted to save all the heavy hitters for the final season. Season 8 directors:

- David Nutter
- Alex Graves
- Jack Bender
- Miguel Sapochnik

Come onnnn!

Dany will learn that dragons exist for greater purposes than kingship and conquest. She will leave the throne to her nephew because he will make a great king (despite being a fake) and embark on the war against the Others, and then travel the world to put an end to slavery and injustice. She may not be the queen, but she is the shield that protects the kingdoms and her children on both sides of the sea.

I can see this, but it's so boring. Dany hasn't been an interesting character in what feels like forever. Watching a character kinda struggle but then emerge victorious time and time again (often in the same fashion) is not compelling television.

Plus I'm hoping there is a minimal amount of "Emilia Clarke trying to look fierce while something badass happens around her" or "a crowd of people praise Dany" shots this season. Give her a REAL struggle. Not a forgetful coalition of Quarth nobility slavers Sons of the Harpy et.

Ithil

Taylor's episodes in season 1 and 2 had been quite lauded if I recall, hell it's why he got those Hollywood offers in the first place.

duckroll

Taylor's episodes in season 1 and 2 had been quite lauded if I recall, hell it's why he got those Hollywood offers in the first place.

Alan Taylor is a HBO vet. Even before Game of Thrones he has directed many episodes of other critically acclaimed shows. But honestly if they're going to bring directors back who have since left the series, I would take Neil Marshall, Alex Graves, and Michelle MacLaren over Alan Taylor any day.

CloudWolf

With Taylor it could go both ways. His GoT episodes have been good to great, but his latest directing jobs were pretty terrible.

Gigglepoo

The only non-Targ to ride a dragon was Nettles, who made it her friend with large quantities of lamb.

The biggest twist I can see GRRM pulling is Aegon being a great king. We've waited so long for Dany yet she'll end up being a much worse option and look like a usurper to her own house.

That's how it's being set up, though. No twist needed.

bengraven

So on the official HBO family tree, they confirm that "X" is "R".

But more interesting to me is that they have a picture of Rickard Stark. They must have taken a pic of the actor during the deleted flashback. Other characters, including Brandon, who are never seen on the show, are just represented by a picture of their house sigil.

They don't even have a pic of Lyanna.

Edit: also, I really want a flashback to the Trident.

Moff

But more interesting to me is that they have a picture of Rickard Stark. They must have taken a pic of the actor during the deleted flashback. Other characters, including Brandon, who are never seen on the show, are just represented by a picture of their house sigil.

Rickard was seen in Brans first Winterfell flashback in season 6, he told child ned something like "Don't fight, but if you have to, win"

and I don't think they should waste any time on more flashback, just greenlight the roberts rebellion prequel season

rashbeep

Banned

Rickard was seen in Bran's vision when he warged Hodor, but yea not sure why they don't have one for Lyanna.

bengraven

Rickard was seen in Brans first Winterfell flashback in season 6

Oh I forgot about that!

That said, Lyanna was seen twice at two different ages and it's weird we don't see her on there.

EDIT: in response to your edit, agreed. They already have an awesome Ned Stark.

Apt101

Yea things aren't looking good creatively but let's be honest, they could film a turd-shaped Jon Snow made of turds fighting a cup of urine and kill on bluray sells so it's not like HBO cares.

Shahadan

Yea things aren't looking good creatively but let's be honest, they could film a turd-shaped Jon Snow made of turds fighting a cup of urine and kill on bluray sells so it's not like HBO cares.

I don't think Jon is going to kill Euron yet

Geist-

ugh, that's really bad news for season 7

So I guess we have to wait 2 years for another good episode of GoT? After how amazing the finale was?

E7OIxwQ.gif

munchie64

Alan Taylor is a HBO vet. Even before Game of Thrones he has directed many episodes of other critically acclaimed shows. But honestly if they're going to bring directors back who have since left the series, I would take Neil Marshall, Alex Graves, and Michelle MacLaren over Alan Taylor any day.
I wonder if any of them will come back.

I also wonder if there'll be more writers.

JakeD

season 5 was bad because of the writing, not directing. well besides the sand snakes scenes. but even those wouldnt have been as noticeable if the story written around them wasnt so awful.

Having trouble making it out -- is that the Twins with the Frey sigil?

Arya's actress' name at the Twins

duckroll

I also wonder if there'll be more writers.

Maybe GRRM will write the screenplay for the final episode. Har har.

season 5 was bad because of the writing, not directing. well besides the sand snakes scenes. but even those wouldnt have been as noticeable if the story written around them wasnt so awful.

It was both really. Not just a matter of directing, but just not matching great direction with important material enough. Hardhome is great because of the direction, not because of the writing. There were many moments in Season 5 which could have been elevated with solid direction, but instead fell flat. The excuse that it was bad "because of the writing" doesn't hold much weight.

Barristan's death was wildly criticized for lacking impact and making him look like a tool. A better director handling that episode could have made it feel tragic and exciting instead. A great warrior dying in a desperate battle that was unwinnable. Instead the way it was staged was just laughable. Who directed that episode? Mark Mylod. The same director who handled "the greatest footchase in cinematic history" in Season 6, another widely panned episode which felt like a letdown sandwiched between Jack Bender's and Miguel Sapochnik's episodes. I will say that Mylod did a great job with the episode before that, so he's not a hopeless director, just one who is not well suited for action. Unfortunately with the series wrapping up, we're going to see more action in every episode, so it's hard not to be disappointed that directors who are able to handle that sort of stuff aren't on the slate instead.

Jeremy Podeswa has also directed episodes in Season 5 and 6 which were panned. He handled the episode in 5 where Sansa was raped, and I think we can agree that it could have been done better, even if the main fault there is in the writing. His direction on the first two episodes of Season 6 are by far the more pedestrian and boring ones as well, so it would be reasonable for people to be disappointed that he's getting episodes instead of other directors who have done better.

bengraven

I watched that interview Kit did at Jean Cocteau a couple years ago moderated by GRRM. I ignored it for a long time, but I did find out something pretty cool I wasn't aware of.

Apparently one of Kit's first jobs was working at Waterstones in the UK and he remembers the books from way back then. Paraphrasing: "I had to carry them in the basement. You have any idea how heavy those books are? So I was annoyed with GRRM before I met him". Then GRRM makes a joke about helping make him fit for nude scenes.

I don't know why, but I guess as a book fanatic who adores a good book store, I like the idea of Jon Snow having worked in one and had a strange relationship with the books before he auditioned.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah I agree about the directors. Alan Taylor coming back is cool, but otherwise they're keeping some of the most unexciting directors they've had. Letting Miguel Sapochnik slip through the cracks after what he's delivered on this show seems absolutely insane to me. The new guy has some good credits at least but no way to know yet.

I forgot all about Barristan's death scene. That shit was so bad. It wasn't dramatized at all, just killed by some randos because of... reasons???

When the show is good, it's fucking great, but when it's bad, boy can it be terrible.

Real Hero

I forgot all about Barristan's death scene. That shit was so bad. It wasn't dramatized at all, just killed by some randos because of... reasons???

When the show is good, it's fucking great, but when it's bad, boy can it be terrible.
Yeah this last episode reminded me how amazing this show can be, because it has been truly terrible at points recently

Esp since for Dayne you at least got a sense of how great a fighter he was but for Selmy (i think also reputed to be one of the best) it felt very ordinary.

Also people give Mereen in the books a lot of shit but I genuinely liked it and it was infinitely more interesting than the show's version of mostly empty streets or people sitting in an empty pyramid talking. Like Dorne, they couldn't really figure out how to do anything interesting there, but at least it had the benefit of having characters we like there.

By contrast, the politicking, the conspiracies, Barristan getting in way over his head, I loved all that stuff. These essays are a really good close read of that: https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.co...reenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

mantidor

I really hope the little birds are still loyal to Varys and weren't just bought with freaking candy, now that would be awful.

Although the implications are interesting, it means Varys knew about the potential danger and the possible elimination of the Tyrells and still did nothing. I wouldn't mind if that is the kind of cracks Dany might have in her path to conquest, how Tyrion would react about the Sand Snakes murdering his niece, how Oleena would take Varys' inaction. It's honestly more interesting than just taking some of Dany's dragons with a magic horn.

Yeah this last episode reminded me how amazing this show can be, because it has been truly terrible at points recently

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people get caught up in "what's going to happen to X next?" and that becomes their priority. Plot point by plot point, hoping for something exciting, ignoring arcs, character development, or even craft (as mentioned, some episodes just have really poor blocking, composition, editing, etc.).

It's the kind of thing that has soured me a bit on the AV Club, who seem genuinely terrified to give this show anything less than a B-. Even Season 5 never dips lower than that.

I really hope the little birds are still loyal to Varys and weren't just bought with freaking candy, now that would be awful.

lol

Candy causing the birds to have permanently turned on Varys is up there with "Sansa turns on Jon" when it comes to bad ideas for Season 7.

Also people give Mereen in the books a lot of shit but I genuinely liked it and it was infinitely more interesting than the show's version of mostly empty streets or people sitting in an empty pyramid talking. Like Dorne, they couldn't really figure out how to do anything interesting there, but at least it had the benefit of having characters we like there.

By contrast, the politicking, the conspiracies, Barristan getting in way over his head, I loved all that stuff. These essays are a really good close read of that: https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.co...reenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

Like a lot of ASOIAF, I got a ton more out of it on a second read. Meereen particularly so. Dany's Meereen story is a conflict over whether she can be rule as well as she can conquer. By the time she leaves, it seems clear she's a much better conquerer, which does not bode well for Westeros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom