• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
There has got to be a better way to make a graph like this.

pTRU1-15046702_alternate1_dt.jpg

Cromwell

Banned
- S7 director list from EW:Bummer about Sapochnik. More info via the link.

I don't understand why they wouldn't throw money at Sapochnik to come back, assuming he isn't because he's directing a movie or something. Best director the show has ever had, even better than Neil Marshal.

Would love it if GRRM comes back to write an episode, the dialogue in the ones he's done has always been the best for obvious reasons. Blackwater is still one of the GOAT episodes.

Fades

Banned
Would love it if GRRM comes back to write an episode, the dialogue in the ones he's done has always been the best for obvious reasons. Blackwater is still one of the GOAT episodes.

I agree, but giving GRRM even more side-projects to work on will triply ensure that the books will never ever be completed.

duckroll

Nah, I want him to write the finale. It would be a good use of his talents because that way he can actually finish telling one of the stories. We know he'll never finish the other one, so it's not really getting in the way of anything. :)

Cromwell

Banned
Nah, I want him to write the finale. It would be a good use of his talents because that way he can actually finish telling one of the stories. We know he'll never finish the other one, so it's not really getting in the way of anything. :)

Yeah, he needs to write the last episode. I'm guessing (hoping) TWoW will finally be out next year so it'll clear him up for that.

Last year I said I'd be amazed if TWoW isn't out in 2016 so I feel like a broken record now, but if it also misses 2017... fucking hell.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That Sophie Turner interview where she reveals Sansa is secretly angry and envious of Jon is irritating me more than it probably should.

The guy literally had the Master Bedroom of Winterfell made up for you, declared you the rightful ruler of the Stark clan and freely confessed the battle against the Bolton's was won because of you, Sansa. What the hell is your problem?

Never really got any kind of sense of envy from Sophie Turner's performance in the last episode either, but then again I've never really rated Sophie Turner as an actress in the first place (although I'm sure shes a swell person),

That Sophie Turner interview where she reveals Sansa is secretly angry and envious of Jon is irritating me more than it probably should.

The guy literally had the Master Bedroom of Winterfell made up for you, declared you the rightful ruler of the Stark clan and freely confessed the battle against the Bolton's was won because of you, Sansa. What the hell is your problem?

Never really got any kind of sense of envy from Sophie Turner's performance in the last episode either, but then again I've never really rated Sophie Turner as an actress in the first place (although I'm sure shes a swell person),

Yup. I'll say it again: if Sansa turns on Jon or betrays him next season, it will just be another stupid arc for a character that deserves better.

Make her Warden of the North. Have her hang out with Lyanna and formulate strategies together. Jon clearly isn't a great general, so let that be Sansa's (surprising) strength.

The reunion of them was fantastic and finally felt like some loose ends were resolved and that the Stark family is back. Subverting that next season would be incredibly stupid, IMO. Of course, it all depends on the execution.

But if Sansa actually starts to listen to Littlefinger and trust him...a;ohgbnerhgh;;alfuhdap;r

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

She's either lying or she did a horrible job conveying that in her performance.

She's either lying or she did a horrible job conveying that in her performance.

It's better than having the character raped/tortured like in S5 but overall I thought she was poorly handled again this season. It was supposed to be an empowering season for her I guess, but instead she came off very confused and emotional. She had no explanation for not telling Jon about the Vale, which translates to "D&D needed it to be a last minute secret to make the plot work." When Jon was planning his military campaign she complained he never asked for her advice...but in the very scene he didn't ask for Davos or Tormund's advice either, they simply spoke up. I don't get it.

Moff

GRRM should realize he will never finish ADOS and should write the whole 8th season. I doubt anyone cares if TWOW releases 2018 or 2019 anyway.

dubq

We get this all the time from actors though. You hear them after the fact in the interviews on what their interpretation of the scene is, when the showrunners or directors have come out and said something completely different. Case in point, Hodor's actor thinking it was all Hodor doing the door holding and not Bran warging into him.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yup. I'll say it again: if Sansa turns on Jon or betrays him next season, it will just be another stupid arc for a character that deserves better.

Make her Warden of the North. Have her hang out with Lyanna and formulate strategies together. Jon clearly isn't a great general, so let that be Sansa's (surprising) strength.

The reunion of them was fantastic and finally felt like some loose ends were resolved and that the Stark family is back. Subverting that next season would be incredibly stupid, IMO. Of course, it all depends on the execution.

But if Sansa actually starts to listen to Littlefinger and trust him...a;ohgbnerhgh;;alfuhdap;r

Very well said.

She's either lying.

This would make absoloutely no sense of any level. Why would Sophie be trying to convince us that Sansa secretly resents Jon, when that never seemed the subtext of their plot-line in the last episode to begin with? Why would Sansa earnestly apologize to Jon from keeping crucial information from him in the previous battle, if she secretly resented him? Why would she tell him shes always considered him a true Stark? Why would she smile happily at Jon when everyone's proclaiming him THE KING IN THA NORF? It's an emotional undercurrent that's never really been highlighted in the acting, or in Turner's performance. It would be like Peter Dinklage trying to convince us after the finale in an interview that Tyrion is secretly plotting to stab Dany in the back. It just comes way too out of left field for the character with basically zero build up.

or she did a horrible job conveying that in her performance

This is probably far more likely, unfortunately. Again, I'm sure Sophie Turner is lovely in person...but I've always thought she was a pretty poor actress who seems to struggle with the material in a lot of her scenes (I thought a particularly egregious example of this was Sansa's rather odd "DON'T DO WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO DO" scene last episode. Turner seemed a bit adrift there)

Basically after reading Turner's interview....I feel I have to come to either one of two conclusions.

1) Sophie Turner doesn't seem to understand what the hell is going on with her character.
2) The showrunners don't seem to know what the hell they're doing with Jon/Sansa's subplot.

To be honest, neither is a particularly happy notion to contemplate this close towards the show's endgame. It's particularly disappointing for me as well, because one of the things I liked most about the finale was how much it seemed to highlight how much Jon and Sansa had grown to respect and care for each other as siblings. It was refreshing to see a brother and sister genuinely act as family and have each others back in a world where families are infamous for ripping each other apart.

But no, apparently I was wrong about that. Apparently Sansa actually does secretly resent Jon, even though the guy's done nothing but bend over backwards for her throughout this entire season, all whilst earnestly encouraging her to take her rightful place as the true Lady of Winterfell.

It's like, for fucks sake Sansa.

It's better than having the character raped/tortured like in S5 but overall I thought she was poorly handled again this season. It was supposed to be an empowering season for her I guess, but instead she came off very confused and emotional. She had no explanation for not telling Jon about the Vale, which translates to "D&D needed it to be a last minute secret to make the plot work." When Jon was planning his military campaign she complained he never asked for her advice...but in the very scene he didn't ask for Davos or Tormund's advice either, they simply spoke up. I don't get it.

Yeah, that scene was so irritating.

Speevy

Banned
You don't really get the impression during the first king in the north speech that Theon might betray Robb, but he does it.

Of course, Alfie Allen is a much better actor than Sophie Turner.

Moff

you are afraid of stupid character arks but want Sansa to become a great general?
No, the only success her arc allows is that she becomes a good player at the game of thrones. that she beats littlefinger with his own weapons and outsmarts him and becomes queen.

Speevy

Banned
Arya and Sansa both have the burden of being so disillusioned by their own misery that they can never live normal lives.

I don't know which one of them will ever be happy again.

you are afraid of stupid character arks but want Sansa to become a great general?
No, the only success her arc allows is that she becomes a good player at the game of thrones. that she beats littlefinger with his own weapons and outsmarts him and becomes queen.

I'm not saying she becomes a warrior, but overseeing Winterfell and its defenses/strategies while Jon tries to get the South to rally against the White Walkers? Yeah, why couldn't she?

Fighting White Walkers and being Commander certainly hasn't made Jon any better at war strategy, especially if that's what the actors are reinforcing (did Kit say that Jon is inexperienced and that's part of what he charges?). Robb had zero combat experience and was one of the best generals in Westeros.

I wouldn't mind her outsmarting Littlefinger (much better than betraying Jon to side with him, at least), but I think making her Queen of Westeros is never going to happen. Queen of Winterfell, maybe? But Winterfell isn't Littlefinger's to give.

rashbeep

Banned
We get this all the time from actors though. You hear them after the fact in the interviews on what their interpretation of the scene is, when the showrunners or directors have come out and said something completely different. Case in point, Hodor's actor thinking it was all Hodor doing the door holding and not Bran warging into him.

It wasn't just Sophie though, D&D were saying the exact same thing.

I hope this is just them trying to drum up dramatic interest for the next season, and they don't actually go that route. That would be stupid.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You don't really get the impression during the first king in the north speech that Theon might betray Robb, but he does it.

On the contrary, I thought that was the epitomy of a betrayal that was actually extremely well seeded throughout the first couple of seasons, so that when it actually happened, it wasn't particularly surprising in the slightest. Theon always was a fairly bitter, resentful character who was guilt-tripped by his family for being weak and subservient. It made perfect sense that the guy would spring into action by trying to take charge by turning against the Stark's.

In that specific case, I would say that was a character development that not only felt extremely natural, but fairly inevitable as well, both on account of the strength of the writing and on the strength Alfie Allen's (excellent) portrayal as that character. With Sansa, they have neither of those factors in their corner.

It wasn't just Sophie though, D&D were saying the exact same thing.

Oh for fucks sake, I hadn't seen this.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY.

Moff

I wouldn't mind her outsmarting Littlefinger (much better than betraying Jon to side with him, at least), but I think making her Queen of Westeros is never going to happen. Queen of Winterfell, maybe? But Winterfell isn't Littlefinger's to give.

no but it was obvious littlefinger wanted sansa to be queen in the north so he could rule the vale and the north with her, which would give them a good shot at ruling westeros at some point, it will go in that direction

Cromwell

Banned

I just wrote something up saying not to put a lot of stock into this because actors etc., but apparently D&D confirmed it.

dabig2

I think people would have more sympathy for Sansa if she actually earned anything in regards to the Vale coming to help. Instead, she's manipulated again by the shitheel who screwed her family over in the first place and sold her out to a psychopath.

If instead during S5 we see her in the Vale learning the game, scheming, and doing her own thing in securing their help and then being ignored for her bastard brother, I can see a "this is unfair and I'm super jealous" side plotline developing more naturally from that.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I mean, Sansa's had a pretty fucked up childhood. I'm not surprised she has some trust issues.

Yeah but with Jon, those "trust issues" would have to border on this...

1324596542030_7713053.png

Jon:
Hey, Sansa! Glad to have finished singlehandedly leading the charge to help you take about your ancestral home. By the way, I've had the Master Bedroom in the Castle made up for you. It's yours. You're the true ruler of Winterfell now. I can never be a Stark. Also, thank you for helping us in the battle. We won that battle because of you. So thank you. Genuinely.

Sansa:
....this fucking guy.

I think people would have more sympathy for Sansa if she actually earned anything in regards to the Vale coming to help. Instead, she's manipulated again by the shitheel who screwed her family over in the first place and sold her out to a psychopath.

If instead during S5 we see her in the Vale learning the game, scheming, and doing her own thing in securing their help and then being ignored for her bastard brother, I can see a "this is unfair and I'm super jealous" side plotline developing more naturally from that.

Yeah but then we would've missed out on the important reminder that Ramsay is super bad, in case we'd forgotten.

However, I don't think her calling for the knights of the Vale was her being manipulated. Sure, it's what LF wanted, but she literally had no other choice. And she roundly denied him in Winterfell.

It's gonna depend on how her arc plays out next season for me. If she hates Jon for some reason because the lords declared for him and therefore allies with LF, that would probably be bad. She knows better by now. I can't see her undermining Jon out of spite or any kind of desire for power. Feeling slighted, sure, but not to that extent, I agree with above.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Jon:
Hey, Sansa! Glad to have finished singlehandedly leading the charge to help you take about your ancestral home. By the way, I've had the Master Bedroom in the Castle made up for you. It's yours. You're the true ruler of Winterfell now. I can never be a Stark. Also, thank you for helping us in the battle. We won that battle because of you. So thank you. Genuinely.

Sansa:
....this fucking guy.

Pretty much.

Which is why Arya is back. She's going to rekt Sansa.

About when the Starks might find out LF's role in Ned's Death: I'm surprised Jon doesn't know, having to deal with Janos Slynt for a period of time at the wall. You'd figure Janos would brag about that shit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pretty much.

Which is why Arya is back. She's going to rekt Sansa.

About when the Starks might find out LF's role in Ned's Death: I'm surprised Jon doesn't know, having to deal with Janos Slynt for a period of time at the wall. You'd figure Janos would brag about that shit.

Jon is in a good position. Arya loves him and will back him in an instant. And he has a kind-of-friend as the new Hand of the Queen.

mantidor

lol I always thought that image applies to Sansa haters, she could masterfully outplay everyone and people would still have a problem with it.

I think people are reading all those interviews wrong, she is jealous of Jon, but they never said she doesn't trust him, she trusts him just fine. She only wanted some credit from the northerners, after all she was fundamental in winning the battle, but they seem to be sexist assholes or clueless, that is all.

Moff

That's some excellent casting, considering how often the book mentions Arya's resemblance to Lyanna.

really? I don't remember. wasn't Arya supposed to be boyish and Lyanna super attractive?
I really like Lyannas actress, though, I can totally understand Rhaegar riding past his wife and hive her the flowers.

I need that prequel season.

really? I don't remember. wasn't Arya supposed to be boyish and Lyanna super attractive?
I really like Lyannas actress, though, I can totally understand Rhaegar riding past his wife and hive her the flowers.

IIRC from the books, Arya is pretty tomboyish, but a number of characters still note her increasing resemblance to Lyanna at that age.

Jon:

Sansa:
....this fucking guy.

Yup. They better not go down that route.

Turin

Banned

Ned certainly compared the two. Many others as well.

Really, it served as hint for Jon since he and Arya are said to look a lot alike.

Brakke

Banned

But does he have a talent for finishing stories, lol. Maybe the series is dragging on so long because he's afraid of writing an ending / doesn't know what to do with it.

watershed

Banned
I'm a little late to this but Young Griff not being in the show pretty much means that he's not a real Targaryen right? Or that his character is generally unimportant to the end game one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom